Code of Conduct

Thread: Scents and ages

Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Scents and ages

I'm very new to the world of fragrances, and have stayed away from most of them for most of my life because of one reason, and that is age.

It seems to me that most mainstream scents are very age oriented. There are scents that older people wear more typically, and there are scents that younger people wear more typically.

I figure if there is anywhere that I can get advice on this, here is the place. I am sure that there are many, many scents out there that are not age-specific, and I am looking to hear about some of these.

My issue is that I am eighteen years old, but I am not really a typical eighteen year old girl. I am a mature person and I don't feel comfortable wearing teeny scents or "girly", immature scents. On that note, I still don't feel comfortable in scents that many older women wear, simply because many of them do have that distinct "older woman" smell. I am not yet an older woman.

At the moment I wear a generic french vanilla oil which is from a small local label. Unfortunately it fades very quickly and though I like the smell, I would like to delve further into the world of scents.

A friend of mine has suggested Tom Ford's Black Orchid (he wears the men's version, which is utterly fantastic), and I am considering it, but it may not be exactly what I want.

Essentially, I am looking for a scent which will not define me as either an older or younger woman, but by my personality.

Some words I might use to describe what I'd like to get from a scent: Rich (maybe deep is a better word), quiet, subtle, warm,

Those are the words that come to mind when I think of what I want in a day-to-day scent. I also like the idea of something vaguely sexual, but that may be too much for all-day wear? I dunno, like I said, I'm new to this.

I'm open to all suggestions. Any advice is appreciated.

Default Re: Scents and ages

I'll guess that Cuba Jungle Zebra might work for you, and it's super cheap, but I'll also be the first to admit that I know very little of women's frags. Here is the description from the scentiments.com site:

"Cuba Jungle Zebra is a symphony of rare cardamon and nutmeg accords culminating in a sexy wake of water lilly and dazzling spices."

It's not all that "dazzling" to me (I have it) so I think it would be "conservative" enough for you without being too boring either. At $3.99 for more than an ounce, there's not much to lose.

I can tell you a bunch that I like to smell on girls that I know. I only have a few years on you and I feel similarly about what I smell on those around me.

Here is a small list of scents to go test:
    Lolita Lempicka
    Alien
    Amor Amor
    Hanai Mori (although maybe not what you are looking for)
    Angel

There are so many more but I can't exactly think of all of them right now.
    You should be able to find all of those relatively easy.

Welcome to Basenotes! This is by far the most friendly online community I have been to, so I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay. Stick around for a while, read (and search) the forums and I'm sure you'll catch the fragrance addiction in no time.

Only recently began exploring female fragrances, but here goes anyway. My current favorite female fragrances are Miss Dior Cherie by Christian Dior, and Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès. I *love* the Dior on girls and every time I get a whiff of this in a mall or on the street, I turn my head trying to find who's wearing it. It smells kind of young though, and you said you don't want that. But please give it a try, I'm sure you'll like it.

Elixir des Merveilles is another story. I've just discovered this recently and have fallen in love with it right away. Have not smelled it on anyone yet. I think this one matches your criteria. Try it along with other Hermes fragrances.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 11th May 2008 at 01:44 PM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Sur la Plage

Welcome to Basenotes!

I second the suggestions that EnvYuS made.

Some others I would suggest sampling are:

Thierry Mugler Alien Eau Luminescente
    Guerlain Shalimar
    Guerlain l'Heure Bleue
    Tom Ford Black Orchid Voile De Fleur
    Narciso Rodriguez For Her
    Prada
    Dolce and Gabanna The One

The best thing to do is to just get out to your local mall department/fragrance stores and start sampling/testing. If there are some fragrances that you like, ask the SA for a sample - so you can take it home and give it a "proper" wearing. Then you can come back to the store and make an "informed" purchase. Or better yet, go online and see if you can order the fragrance at a discounted price.

I personally do not get hung up on the whole "certain fragrances are for certain ages" hype. If I like the way it smells, I wear it.

Happy sniffing and shopping!

Joe
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will check out reviews and websites for most of these very soon.