Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these green fragrances?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gucci Nobile

10 20.00%
  • Geoffrey Beene Grey Flannel

12 24.00%
  • Geoffrey Beene Bowling Green

5 10.00%
  • Fresh Tobacco Flower

4 8.00%
  • Aramis Devin

13 26.00%
  • Cerruti Nino Cerruti

7 14.00%
  • Dior Jules

11 22.00%
  • Delrae Eau Illuminée

5 10.00%
  • Diptyque Virgilio

9 18.00%
  • Balmain Vent Vert

7 14.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Which of these green scents?

So here's a list of some of my favorite green scents for you to choose from. If you have others, please post them!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Default Re: Which of these green scents?

A green scent I purchased on the weekend after recently re-discovering it is "Eau de Campagne" by Sisley.
    The topnotes are green cut grasses overlapping lush herbaceous accords. Probably one of the greenest greens I've smelled and my absolute fave from the green classification.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    A green scent I purchased on the weekend after recently re-discovering it is "Eau de Campagne" by Sisley.
    The topnotes are green cut grasses overlapping lush herbaceous accords. Probably one of the greenest greens I've smelled and my absolute fave from the green classification.
    I have smelled that, and though I don't own it, I do admire it. It's too bad I didn't think to include it in the choices. I'm sure other people will point out more of these glaring omissions! Thanks for your post.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 5th May 2008 at 07:09 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Eau de Campagne has the tomato leaves in the top notes giving that leafy, eathy green that can also be found in Lacoste Essential. Of your list, I picked Gucci Nobile. A sad discontinuation. Of my collection, I pick Bleeker Street, Fierce, and Paul Smith Original. If Nobile was in production, it would definately have a home with me.

Are you sure Dior Jules can be classified as green scent?

I picked half the list:
    Grey Flannel
    Virgilio
    Nobile
    Cerruti
    Vent Vert.

All are great. I guess this thread is teaching me I go for green stuff. It's also reminding me I wish I didn't give away my bottle of Vent Vert.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Grey Flannel is my pick from your list. It's one of my go-to fragrances.

I've picked Aramis Devin, and honestly I don't consider "Grey Flannel" a green scent!

What about Trophee (sp?) Lancome? Also Greenergy by Givenchy. Second the questioning re. Jules. Also could classify R de Capucci as a green I suppose.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fraddicted View Post
    What about Trophee (sp?) Lancome? Also Greenergy by Givenchy. Second the questioning re. Jules. Also could classify R de Capucci as a green I suppose.
    I guess Jules isn't green strictly speaking, but it does feature a prominent green note, I think.

I don't know Trophée or Greenergy, so they didn't make my list. I guess I should check them out...

I have another of the Capucci scents (pour Homme), but not R de Capucci. Another one to check out...

Thanks, guys!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 5th May 2008 at 07:25 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Jules is very green at the top for me. On the dry down it fades away to a lovely leathery base.

The original Nino Cerruti is amazing IMO.

I voted Grey Flannel - it is an all-time classic. You can wear it anywhere and you will always smell elegant, refined and possessing of an understated strength. It's a scent akin to Eau de Cartier which knows how to make Violets a manly note in a scent.

never tried any of those of what i have...Vetiver Hombre and Pure Vetiver..

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    I've picked Aramis Devin, and honestly I don't consider "Grey Flannel" a green scent!
    You know, I am no one to disagree with the fine noses who seem to think so but, I have to agree with you here. I wanted to say this but didn't want to sound negative. I totally don't get grey flannel as a green scent either. For me, it is as the name suggests, grey.

Red face Re: Which of these green scents?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    You know, I am no one to disagree with the fine noses who seem to think so but, I have to agree with you here. I wanted to say this but didn't want to sound negative. I totally don't get grey flannel as a green scent either. For me, it is as the name suggests, grey.
    Yeah, and on my skin the dry down is only a smooth clean and soapy scent and as you said a GREYish one!
    I consider it in the same vein of Fahrenheit or Le Male or even Bvlgari Pour Homme and cK ONE!
    And finally, sorry if I sound NEGATIVE here!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Eau de Campagne has the tomato leaves in the top notes giving that leafy, eathy green that can also be found in Lacoste Essential. Of your list, I picked Gucci Nobile. A sad discontinuation. Of my collection, I pick Bleeker Street, Fierce, and Paul Smith Original. If Nobile was in production, it would definately have a home with me.
    I have some. You want me to make you a sample vial? PM me.

Gucci Nobile is the one fragrance I can wear and be assured that women are going to be tripping over me all day, cooing, "Ooooh, you smell GOOD."

That would be even better if I wasn't gay. Seriously, though, something about Nobile makes the ladies go cray-zeeeee. Straight men, take note.

You can usually find it on eBay:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ile&category0=

Here's a secret. Alexander DaCosta makes a knock-off called Nobile Royalty:

http://www.perfume.com/alexander-de-...y-1061783.html

It's really, really close. The only huge difference to my nose is a smidgen less pepper and slightly less longevity, also the concentration is a little weaker than the real juice. Nobile Royalty, however, costs $20 a bottle and is still in production.

So, am I going to be beaten soundly about the head and neck for recommending a knock-off now?
    Last edited by T. Rex, Esq.; 6th May 2008 at 07:08 AM. Reason: d'oh!

Diptyque - Eau de Lierre. Excellent frag that I probably won't shut up about for some time!
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Grey Flannel... that's the only one on the list which I own.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by msi_21 View Post
    I put Grey Flannel in here because it was an innovative scent that used a green head and heart note in an unprecedented way. Like Jules, it may not be a "green scent" strictly speaking, but they are both notable for their novel use of green notes and their green qualities, as well as for their effect on subsequent fragrances, IMO.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Central Park by Bond No.9 is one of my favorite green scents. This one is pretty intense, it just screams green!

Blog Entries

i just ordered "Greenergy" by Givenchy yesterday. i've read on here that it smells like freshly cut grass.....so i ordered it blindly.

Givenchy quality + Freshly cut grass = HIGH EXPECTIONS!

I did vote, and that includes your borderline suggestions, but I cannot think green without Villoresis Yerbamate and Spezie.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    I did vote, and that includes your borderline suggestions, but I cannot think green without Villoresis Yerbamate and Spezie.
    Sadly, I've never smelled these. The only Villoresi I know is Incensi.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Devin - when I was younger, this was my signature scent. It still, to this day, makes me smile when I spray it on. Love it as much now, as when I was a teen.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    ...It's really, really close. The only huge difference to my nose is a smidgen less pepper and slightly less longevity, also the concentration is a little weaker than the real juice. Nobile Royalty, however, costs $20 a bottle and is still in production.

So, am I going to be beaten soundly about the head and neck for recommending a knock-off now?
    (((looking around to make sure noone's looking)))

T. Rex - you're TOAST!!

((punching T. Rex in the stomach))

Seriously, Nobile (although I haven't smelled it in years!) is great stuff.

Maybe it's the 'bad grammatical context' of it or just the combination of the two words together, but the name Nobile Royalty makes me giggle.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

JaimeB, Try ESENCIA DE LOEWE green and classy, always a compliment getter!!

Cool Re: Which of these green scents?

Quote Originally Posted by clgnafcnado View Post

Used to be a favorite of mine, along with Duc de Vervins. Now?

I'd recommend Lowe Para Hombre ahead of them.

In fact, I'd recommend a sniff to:

Versace L'Homme
    Azarro (on the assumption fougere can still be 'green')
    1948 Creed ('unoriginal") Vetiver-----the 'greenest' Vetiver I know of
    A few other creeds ( notice I spelled it in lower case, and didn't mention the frags's names, so don't shoot. )
    Montana PH 2001---A green bomb citrus lunacy with monster sillage and longevity.
    Hermes Eau D'orange Verte and Guerlian's Imperiale---for those who want a class vanishing act.
    And how about Greene's "Bowling Green" which is an aromatic and not colored green, but still . . .

Befuddled, but intrigued, esp. now that we're in citrus weather . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by clgnafcnado View Post
    I always thought of this as more of a leather chypre, but it does have herbal notes. I do have it and wear it often in cooler weather.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani View Post
    Used to be a favorite of mine, along with Duc de Vervins. Now?

I'd recommend Lowe Para Hombre ahead of them.

In fact, I'd recommend a sniff to:

Versace L'Homme
    Azarro (on the assumption fougere can still be 'green')
    1948 Creed ('unoriginal") Vetiver-----the 'greenest' Vetiver I know of
    A few other creeds ( notice I spelled it in lower case, and didn't mention the frags's names, so don't shoot. )
    Montana PH 2001---A green bomb citrus lunacy with monster sillage and longevity.
    Hermes Eau D'orange Verte and Guerlian's Imperiale---for those who want a class vanishing act.
    And how about Greene's "Bowling Green" which is an aromatic and not colored green, but still . . .

Befuddled, but intrigued, esp. now that we're in citrus weather . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    I've never smelled Loewe Para Hombre. Loewes seem to be hard to find in my part of the world. I have read and heard good things about it, and hope to come across it one day.

Versace L'Homme strikes me as more of a woody scent, but definite herbal notes there, too.

I have Montana Green. Is that the one you mean? If it is, I must admit I haven't worn it enough for it to come easily to mind when I was making my poll list.

The problem with green colognes was how green they needed to be before they got close enough to the line to make the list. I love Guerlain's colognes because they are greener than most.

Eau d'Orange Verte was the subject of a hot thread at the time I posted this, so I thought it had been talked about enough. Perhaps that's why it didn't get into the list.

And lastly, Geoffrey Beene's Bowling Green is on the list I made. I suppose you could have voted for it. Did you miss it?

The trouble with making a poll like this is that you always have mots d'escalier, things you could have said but didn't think of till you were going down the stairs on your way out! Hindsight is precious, but only available after the fact. I selected a few that I have in my collection, trying to think of ones a lot of people knew, adding some more obscure ones just because they are among my favorites.

It's great to see all the ones other people thought of, though. There were a few suggested that I haven't known and would now like to try.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

How do "Eau du Campagne" by Sisley and "Greenergy" by Givenchy compare to Penhaligon's English Fern and Trumper's Wild Fern??

Also, can anyone recommend a green scent that has a marine kick!!

I vote for Nobile. Too bad about it being long discontinued. I would like to add Jovan Grass Oil, Chanel 19, Diptyque L'ombre dans l'eau, Gres Cabochard, Piguet Bandit, L'Eau de L'Artisan, Santa Maria di Novella Ginestra. The Jovan and the Chanel (edp) are both very similar, the latter being more refined and nuanced, but both share the same vibe imo.

I own and love the Delrae Eau Illuminee, though I find the top to be citrussy enough that it is a citrus for me first and foremost!

LOVE it!
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris