Code of Conduct

Default Any frags that are meant to cause olfactory hallucinations?

Just wondering if any frag company has claimed that one of their frags will cause you to smell something that is not really there. For example, sometimes I smell curry when I wear Samba Nova, which has strong mint and florals (though of course there is no claim about hallucinations with this frag). It might be a good selling point, right?

Default Re: Any frags that are meant to cause olfactory hallucinations?

You could always eat a few magic mushroom buttons. :bounce:

Basenotes Institution

Well, what it comes down to it, aren't all note pyramids/accords that the manufacturers list really just 'olfactory hallucinations'?

Chemicals and a small portion of natural ingredients, blended to smell like flowers, woods, leather, etc.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I guess the whole Demeter line is meant to do that. I sure don't think they put real thunders in Thunderstorm.

Olfactory hallucination is called phantosmia.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phantosmia/AN01684

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    I sure don't think they put real thunders in Thunderstorm.
    What does thunder smell like?

Well I'm not talking about an actual medical condition, but instead thinking that you smell something like wood in a frag for a moment, but then it slips away, and every once in a while it comes back. I've found that my sense of smell (or sensitivity) has been varying quite a bit, as my tastes have been. I think one aspect of that is that I've come to find certain notes much less interesting than I did during my first phase of investigating frags.

Blog Entries

To me, that's not an "olfactory hallucination". It's simply a note of the fragrance, probably not a dominant note, but one that's needed to fully bring out the scent the designer was going for.

I get a lot of geranium from Terre d'Hermes. Geranium is a note in that frag but I have not notice many folks mentioning it in reviews or posts. It doesn't mean it's a hallucination. It just means that it's a note my olfactory senses are more attuned to. Right now. That will change. Similarly, the wood note you mention could either be a note that (while faint) your sense is particularly attuned to; or it may be a note that your olfactory sense is just beginning to discern.

Now, if you'll excuse me, the walls have turned to liquid and I need to get a bucket.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Unforgiveable makes people hallucinate into thinking that it is a good cologne..........

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Unforgiveable makes people hallucinate into thinking that it is a good cologne..........
    So true. My friends are going ga ga over this. It's decent, but overrated IMHO.

As to answering the question -- anything from CB I Hate Perfume and Demeter.