Code of Conduct

Default no thread

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: can you help me find a fragrance?

We will! Oh, seduction of deduction.....

Let's see: you like it interesting, but neither too sweet (fruity Deci-Dela), nor too woody-sweet (Roma). You do not like it too fruity or watery. I think you are on the right path thinking of chypres, but Jolie Madame is green, violet-y (with many people it equals "headache inducing") and leathery (and you know Balmain's leather will often times opens up as "erasers"). How about that? It is definitely not for everybody, so please try before you buy. How familiar are you with other chypres? They can be difficult to tame, and some of them are very capricious where lots depends on your diet, time of a month, weather, etc.

Speaking of Hermes Fabourgh, 24 -- it is intense and floral (orange blossom, gardenia, jasmine) and sweet/honeyed. I see those who are fond of Hypnose liking it and vice versa, but again try it on your skin first. Are you thinking of a particular flower? a bouquet?

Carons -- you got me on this. With the repertoire like theirs, they got it all: slightly and intensely sweet, floral, woody, scanky, etc. Which one(s) are you having in mind?

Please do not buy any full bottles at all until you are absolutely positive that you will wear and enjoy what's in them, especially if you are looking at the bigger bottle for a better price per 1 ml of fragrance.

Another No-No is that "d'Ete" and "Legere" -- versions that do not contain any alchohol -- might be NOT for you if you are fond of bright and long-lasting fragrances. (Fendi Donna is a powerhouse, on an average person it lasts and lasts and lasts for days and even more so on the clothes/hair).

Depending on where you are located in the USA, I suppose a trip to a department store is a must. Tell your family it is for educational purposes. Start with the classics (Guerlain, Chanel, Dior, Lancome, Estee Lauder), sniff all you can handle, step outside and come back again to sniff more (you have probably heard of coffee beans, haven't you?). Jot down your thoughts, trying to identify the notes (rose? sandalwood? christmas? grandma?), go home and search in the BN Directory if any of your thoughts are being mentioned by other people. You may stumble upon a wonderful sales assistant who cares about what she/he is doing or/and an enthusiast fellow shopper, who knows? You might even leave with a handful of scented strips or little sample vials to re-sniff them in the privacy and comfort of your own home.

In the meantime please pm me your address, I will send you some sweets, flowers and mosses.

*** Woke up in the morning and editing:
    There are other members here just like you, who can't find no satisfaction (:-) ) in department store fragrances. What they do is sniffing and testing lots of so called niche scents from moderate to small sized companies and only available in specialized brick-and-mortar stores or online from LuckyScent, BeautyHabit, Aedes, etc.
    Last edited by Twolf; 12th May 2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Too tired last night

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: can you help me find a fragrance?

Yup: what Twolf said.
    I found it much more cost-effective to buy little samples to try scents - it saved me from making some expensive mistakes. And of course it's great fun going to the shops for a sniffathon. You can get a really good idea what kind of scents you like just from spending ten minutes at a single brand's counter. Try Chanel and Guerlain if you can. Guerlain is a particularly good benchmark brand, because a lot of Noters know quite a few Guerlain scents. So if you tell us you like - for example - L'Heure Blue and Apres l'Ondee, we'll start shouting 'Heliotrope!' and so on.
    Also, please try Mitsouko by Guerlain. Just because we're shocking enablers and a lot of people love it. (Or hate it - it seems to polarise people.) If that doesn't make you shout 'Eureka! try Shalimar and if you're still left cold, try Jicky. These 3 perfumes are great diagnostic tools.
    Honest.
    ;-)
    So glad you've joined us!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Default no thread

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to be of help, Darkdreams.
    Don't worry - you are among friends here!
    Don't go buying Mitsouko unsniffed. Like I said - it's a love it or hate it kind of a perfume. Anyway, it's fun to go try things on when you get the chance!

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Good advise from others, so far. There are so many things to explore. If you think you might like a more classic touch - and it sounds like you might - the advice to go to Guerlain is spot on. Once you find the category that appeals to you, it will be easier to further experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Hermes 24, Faubourg, Balmain Jolie Madam, and Caron Parfum Sacre.
    If you are unable to find stores that have testers, PM me for samples.
    Goth? Do you like rose + patchouli or oud? Two of my rose scents are dark: Montale Aoud Rose Petals and Les Parfums de Rosine Une Folie de Rose. And I have a wicked Patchouli from Santa Maria Novella.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 12th May 2008 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy some Ava Luxe scents like Film Noir.. Shisa.. Sin.. they're right up your alley with the "dark" theme

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:31 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Darkdreams, you are among friends and enablers. Visit the Perfumed Court, a website from which you can buy small decants. It is a wonderful way to live with a fragrance before making a full-bottle commitment.
    Guerlain. Try the older scents and try their newer scents. You will fall in love, I nearly guarantee. The problem with us perfumistas is that we fall in love over and over, simultaneously, deliriously. Hold on to your wallet and enjoy the ride!
    It sounds like you might want to explore more ambers. They are definitely long lasting. Please sample Ambre Russe (Parfums d'Empire) and Ambre Sultan (Serge Lutens).
    Definitely, definitely try Ava Luxe. Try No. 23, Kama, Shisha, and Madame X especially.
    Enjoy your adventure. We are here to listen.

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure here about the older Guerlains, among all mentioned I can wear Shalimar, not others.

Not so very sure here about Ava Luxe scents either.

And to totally confuse you, not sure at all about aouds or patchouli. BTW, very often body lotions are not very representative of the scent itself, I noticed with Estee Lauder they were/are using a complementary approach more than anyone else.

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Darkdreams,

I have Youth Dew EDP, and yes, I definitely smell patchouli in it (among other things both spicy and woody).

There are a couple of lines I have tried from Lucky Scent which really give me a goth/hippie vibe:

Red Flower
    (organic, made from naturals, yummy)

Regina Harris
    (incensy, woody, etc.--can be heavy, not sure if they are all natural, but they are very nice also)

If you have a natural food store near you, you can easily get a bottle of patchouli pure essential oil, usually pretty inexpensively. Or, at least you can smell their tester so you will recognize it!
    Last edited by Asha; 13th May 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Affirmative, big patchouli note in both Youth Dew and Aromatics Elixer.
    Go to any head shop. Smell the patchouli oil or incense--it's rather musty.
    Oud (aka Agarwood) is different. Madini Agarwood is the best example. You can get a sample from Talisman.com that doesn't smell too offensive, and it's inexpensive.

I would send you both Santa Maria Novella Patchouli and Montale Aoud Queen Rose, but if your husband complained about you wearing Aromatics Elixer, it would be a waste. These are even stronger.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 13th May 2008 at 06:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Not sure here about the older Guerlains, among all mentioned I can wear Shalimar, not others.

Ah! that was my thinking. All of us have one older Guerlian we like or that likes us (mine is Jicky - Shalimar gives me the cold shoulder and Mitsouko hisses and spits when I come near her). So I figured that we could use it as a 'diagnostic tool'. Those 3 perfumes are very polarising and I think they reveal a lot about a person's tastes.

I should have also added Vol de Nuit, in fact, as this thread unwinds, I think that's probably the one that will get a big 'ooooh!' And if not Vol then L'Heure Bleu, for its 'strange' aspect (can't put it better than that, I'm afraid).

Does my logic make more sense now? Or am I talking out of my...
    ;-)

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:35 AM.

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Big welcome, darkdreams. You are surely bound on an odyssey now. Check out the links at the bottom of my post to learn more about how to get your hands on samples and circulate them via swaps. The blog Now Smell This is a wonderful reference source for terminology, info about perfumers and news about the latest fragrance releases.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got your PM. I'll send the Patchouli and Aoud Rose Petals anyway. Just don't wear them around your husband or he will think you have gone over to the dark side.

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Wordbird, I forgot to mention the fact that most of you already know -- I have 4 Mitsoukos here, all different formulations, eras and price ranges. Notice how the key word in the previous line is "have", as opposed to "wear" or "adore". They all have been a very useful tool in tracing the subtleties of reformulations, very thought provoking. Philosophical even.

Vol de Nuit is very nice, I got just a little bit left and plan to invest into more. If I can find the one I can afford. Oh well...

EL Youth Dew used to be in my top ten, then it temporarily went into my top twenty to only regain the reigning positions after I retried the vintage version. It is a big fancy oriental with a sharp and biting top and creamy everlasting drydown. Can become a perfect "one'n'only" signature, because it got it all.

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:36 AM.

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

darkdreams, Chanel Cristalle actually changes quite a bit over time, as does Shalimar.

Cristalle starts very green and fresh and goes through a floral stage on my skin (ylang ylang, maybe some jasmine--difficult to distinguish everything in the blend). I will need to wear it again to refresh my memory--maybe for the Chanel Day this Friday!

With Shalimar, I found that the more concentrated versions (parfum, EDP) smelled much less powdery on me. The EDT was like baby diapers--horrible.

I tried Eau de Shalimar, and it is quite nice, but not as good as the original (if the two can even be compared). However, taken on its own terms and compared to all the other modern scents, I have been very pleased with it. Lots of citrus at first, rather dry on my skin, and then a soft vanilla drydown.

And that is great news about AE! Can't beat the price, either!

I would recommend Chanel Allure eau de toilette, or perhaps Carolina herrera 212 sexy. both lovely, but not overly sweet. 212 sexy might be a little bit sweet at first, but it dries down in 1/2 hour.
    Or maybe:
    Jean Paul Gaultier Classique
    Armani code for her
    Tom Ford Black orchid
    Flower by Kenzo

If you´re gonna go with Guerlain I highly recommend to try L´Instant de Guerlain

You just might like oriental florals

At least you will be finding those on shops near you for sure..
    I´ve got the same broblem. i live in Finland, which is in Europe, but finnish people don´t appreciate perfumes. I Live in capital of Finland, Helsinki centre, and there´s no other fragrances available than the most popular ones. I´also have been thinking of ordering something unique (at least in here it would be unique, since everyone wears the same fragrances) from abroad.. also because the prices here are HIGH!!

Actually, people buy so rarely perfumes in here, that many fragrances that has been discontinued, are still available in big departmentstores..

I did come up with some fragrances you might like (again):
    Agent provocateur Maitresse
    YSL Rive Gauche for women
    Gucci rush
    Valentino V
    Boss Intense

About Aromatic Elixir. I love the perfume spray, but it has to be dabbed on or misted from a distance. Lots of patchouli though. I have the lotion, but never wear it as I agree it smells quite different- more green, astringent- a little obnoxious actually. Also, I didn't care for the Velvet Sheer version--more like the Smoother lotion.
    As for Youth Dew, I love it, in the bath oil; dabbed on as parfum, or in the bath, or a bit mixed with unscented lotion. The EDP was not for me, it was sweeter, and the "cola" note people speak of is much more present, whereas the oil is wood/patchouli/rose.Very goth.
    I pretty much thought there were no Guerlain's that would work for me. I love Shalimar on others, Jicky is interesting but the civet shrieks on my skin, and Mitsouko is nice but just didn't fit. I do wear Vol de Nuit - it has smoky vanilla of Shalimar I like so much toned down, and tempered with green iris (a favorite note).
    When I think of dark or gothic scents, I think of patchouli and rose, but you may enjoy ambers more, maybe woody ambers. Many can suggest niche here, so here are some you can find at the mall or drugstore:

CK Obsession
    CK Euphoria (sweet/fruity, but amber and dry woody note in base to in dry down, esp the parfum gel)
    Guelain Samsara (dark, rich and sultry)
    YSL Opium (I find the Secret de Parfum and parfum darker- SdP sweeter, and parfum dry)
    Coco (savory and sweet, spicy and leathery- in the parfum anyway--the EDT lighter spicy, no leather, EDP has a more floral emphasis)

Chypres (with some amber):
    Paloma Picasso
    Halston (prefer the parfum)
    GBH Red
    Last edited by leffleur; 6th July 2008 at 05:34 PM.

If you like Carolina, but think its too light/doesn't last, you might like Flowerbomb, although you might also think its too sweet. I'd also suggest you try Chanel Allure Sensuelle.

Last edited by darkdreams; 11th July 2011 at 01:38 AM.