Code of Conduct

Smile New to MPG, which to try first?

I've got a package on the way...

The package contains the entire MPG line!

1.EAU POUR LE JEUNE HOMME
    2.TUBEREUSE
    3.JARDIN BLANC
    4.EAU DEMURE
    5.BAIME
    6.FLEUR D'IRIS
    7.GARRIGUE
    8.FRAICE BADIANE
    9.IRIS BLEU GRIS
    10.FREEZIA D'OR
    11.JARDIN DU NEROLI
    12.ROSE MUSKISSIME
    13.ROUTE DU VETIVER
    14.SECRET MELANGE
    15.PARFUMS D'HABIT
    16.ROUTE DU VETIVER
    17.AMBRE PRECIEUX
    18.RACINE
    19.CENTAURE
    20.SANTAL NOBLE
    21.L'EAU DU GANTIER
    22.FRAICHE PASSIFLORE
    23.FLEUR DES COMORES
    24.EAU DE CAMELIA CHINOIS
    25.OR DES INDES
    26.MAGNOLIA POURPRE
    27.VOCALISES
    28.JASMIN
    29.ROSE OPULENTE
    30.SOI ROUGE
    Which have you tried and which are your favourites?

Default Re: New to MPG, which to try first?

Hi DutchSmell. It looks like a great package you'll be getting.

Here's a recent thread on which many members listed their favorites and made some thoughts on the house:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=209983
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

30 MPG's in a package? Are you kidding me?
    You, my friend, are the luckiest person on earth. Wow!
    I own three MPG's, with Parfum d'Habit being the most interesting.
    Enjoy a great MPG month.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

7.GARRIGUE
    9.IRIS BLEU GRIS
    13.ROUTE DU VETIVER
    14.SECRET MELANGE
    17.AMBRE PRECIEUX
    20.SANTAL NOBLE
    I hope you kept the sample sizes a bit smaller this time than with CB!

I have samples of the above (Thanks SoS for most of them!). I have a bottle of Ambre Precieux as it is a "reference amber" for me.

I find Route du Vetiver to have a really strange/weird opening, but settles into a great vetiver scent.

I love Santal Noble ... and may end up getting a bottle of this once my budget gets better! (too many big frag purchases this month!)
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Route de Vetiver, Secret Melange and Eau Pour Le Jeunne Homme (what's in a name? ) are my favorites.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I hope you kept the sample sizes a bit smaller this time than with CB!

I have samples of the above (Thanks SoS for most of them!). I have a bottle of Ambre Precieux as it is a "reference amber" for me.

I find Route du Vetiver to have a really strange/weird opening, but settles into a great vetiver scent.

I love Santal Noble ... and may end up getting a bottle of this once my budget gets better! (too many big frag purchases this month!)
    Hehe, yes! Only 2ML this time! But for all 30 samples I only paid $25 so it has been a great deal!

I will definately be trying those out!

MPG needs testing first in my opinion but they are some of the best scents around. It's high quality and very French but not in the Serge Lutens style. MPG is done in a much older tradition (just like their image suggests).
    It has been discussed on this site that SL is a special house because they like to "challenge and shock" the wearer. I think MPG is the house that does that. I'm familiar only with their men's line:
    First of all, you're going to have their particular brand of musk present in many compositions. Also, to me, there are two main lines of scents with MPG. You have the woody combinations with patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood, etc. and the other one is the floral accords. The particular floral combination of jasmin/geranium with mint and musk combo unfortunately doesn't work for me. It reminds me of cleaning products I smell in many hotel lobbies and corridors.
    Jardin du Nil and Centaure have this accord. But the opening of JdN is strange and that's what I adore about it. It's worth having.
    I really like the earthy/muddy/rotten openings of MPG's and that's what I call "challenging." I never got that from the SL's. Not even from MKK.
    RdV: Thanks to DustB when I first joined BN and was searching for a dirty/earthy vetiver (and thanks for the LV Vetyver and more recently LV Sandalo recommendations!). This is THE ultimate vetiver to me. It is THE most unusual scent I own and I love it as a vetiver fan. Smell this first. After you get off the floor and get back into your chair, wait for the mid and the base notes. Wonderful development and longevity. I recently tested Cumming The Fragrance and its style reminded me of RdV.
    Pd'H: I only recently read about this one and tested it. I immediately decided that I'm buying it. Again a very challenging and shocking opening yet comforting and nostalgic to me. There's the scent of leather (a very different, particular type) and I get the smell of lacquer/paint. As discussed in another thread, it's a "fall" scent. Very, very special.
    IBG: Thanks to DustB again, I decided to get this as my main iris scent. It's everything the reviews say.
    I have also tested the following:
    Eau des Illes: Supposedly green coffee beans, spices, patchouli. I got such strong, unwashable sharp patchouli that I decided against it. Not for me.
    Santal Noble: My most favorite of the ones I don't own--yet. Great coffee and slightly caramelized opening, sandalwood in the base.
    Racine: Citrus and vetiver AND MUSK!!! I don't know why all the reviews ignore the musk in this. I got such sharp and strong musk all day from this that it made me feel uncomfortable. Not for me.
    Eau Pour le Jeune...: Basically a classic eau de cologne formula. I've read complaints about its longevity. It's not the type of formula I like to own.
    Garrigue: I really like this but for the price, you could do better with Ungaro III, even Drakkar Noir (!). It's in the same style of those and also similar to GIT. Very conventional for MPG. Probably the easiest to wear among all of their creations. Can't go wrong here except for the price. I'd love to own this one though.
    I have not tested any others but I will in the future. I'm really fond of this house.
    I would also looooove to test the mythical, discontinued, impossible-to-own, Soir d'Orient (oud and amber). But I know life's limits.
    Enjoy!
    RM
    Last edited by Renaissance_Man; 12th May 2008 at 05:27 PM.

Give Route du Vetiver a try first. This is one of those fragrances that I clearly remember exactly when & where I was the first time I sampled it: the first impression never leaves you!

Try RdV in the morning, give it the day to develop, then come back home in the evening (as it will have most likely caused you to run madly into the street, arms flailing wildly about) and then chill out with some SANTAL NOBLE!
    ..."net", not "naut".

+1. Parfums d'Habit is my scent of today. Mind you, a large portion of what you ordered is for the opposite sex. You didn't get Bahiana? It is a pretty good summer scent IMHO.

Add: There is a store by the name of "Guardian Merchant" on eBay that can order 30 samples of of the majority of MPG for you. Not a bad deal.
    Last edited by Omega Man; 12th May 2008 at 08:03 PM.

Years ago I wrote up this post for an MPG thread, but a thorough search didn't turn it up on the site. Lucky I saved it in my own file. As will be obvious, I wrote this when Jardin du Nil was a recent scent. Of course, all are invited to disagree with my thoughts.
    --Chris
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier, “MPG”, is a perfect example of the “niche-brand” segment of the fragrance market. Offbeat. Expensive. Hard to get. Scents of overwhelming imaginary power that are still fit olfactorily within the house’s scent “vision.” MPG is rarely smelled on anyone in daily life. Its products are recognized only by cognoscenti.

According to the Basenotes.net database, the first MPGs were released in 1988, when the launch included 26 scents. Thirteen for women, eight for men, and five for either. The line has expanded to 18 for women, 11 for men, and 7 for either, with the most recent, again according to the Basenotes.net database, being 2003’s Jardin du Néroli. None has been discontinued.

The house owns itself--isn’t owned by some holding or investment company, that is--and that leads me to believe all its decisions are ultimately the responsibility of Jean Laporte the perfumer personally behind each of its creations. I’ve read somewhere that Laporte said he started MPG when his other successful niche-brand perfume house, L’Artisan Parfumeur, became too large and successful for him to manage and was sold to a holding company. That’s the story anyway.

In my favorite Laporte anecdote, Chandler Burr’s book The Emperor of Scent tells of a French radio talk show Laporte was on with the subject of the book, the iconoclastic olfactory scientist and perfume lover Luca Turin. Turin remembered Laporte as a “smart guy, former chemist and owner of a small and very successful firm manufacturing relatively cheap feel-good perfumes. Interesting conversation on the way back, all sorts of tiny tidbits about the perfume world. On air we gas on for two full hours about strictly noting."

Laporte had sold L’Artisan Parfumeur by that time, and MPG was several years old, but it is never stated to which firm Turin referred that made “relatively cheap feel-good perfumes.”

As a description of MPG’s work, I think feel-good is one of the last terms I would use to describe it. In my experience, MPGs are the deepest, richest, thickest, most opulently plush scents available next to Serge Lutens. I base my thoughts on MPG on the ones I own (Ambre Precieux, Baime, Iris Bleu Gris, Jardin du Nil, Parfum d’Habit, Racine, Route du Vetiver, and Santal Noble) and the ones of which I have sampled (Grain de Plaisir, Centaur, Secret Melange, Eau pour le Jeune Homme). You can read descriptions of all of these elsewhere on this thread so I won’t describe them. However, most of them are in some loose sense united by their smelling distinctly MPG, and distinctly old world in the Colonial-period sense.

MPG strives for boudoir-chic caché. I wear Ambre Precieux and think of 19th Century men’s clubs. MPG stuff reminds me of the insides of mansions and the insides of carriages. Think of opulence inside with cold, coal, dirty poverty just outside the door. Northern clime winter opulence, without the sun. Not decadent, not naughty, but humorless, and a bit of the dandy’s indulgence. An olfactory image assisted by the name of the house: “Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier” Master perfumer and glove maker. The glove maker part had me puzzled. It is a reference original fragrance shops, which existed to or also sold scented gloves. MPG is so old world in its old world fragrance niche that it revisits and relives that world from the beginning, from the name of the house.

To me one of the most distinctive qualities about MPG fragrances is that the main ones seem to all be from the same big brewing vat, but each from a different spigot. This is kind of like the house-note phenomenon. Ambre Precieux, Santal Noble, Parfum d’Habit, Jardin du Nil, and even Route du Vetiver are all very alike in concept and for lack of a better term, “practice,” but they certainly do smell different. Maybe they’re all from the same vat, but their spigots are variously higher and lower on the vat. Route du Vetiver somewhere about half way down, Santal Noble below that and therefore richer, Ambre Precieux next, and Jardin du Nil after that (my judgement call on where this floral spigot really lies) and Parfum d’Habit at the bottom where the vat’s dregs settle.

You can’t experience all of them by getting one of them, and none of them is good enough to avoid purchase of the others, but still the likeness is very clear. Route du Vetiver is my favorite by the house, with Baime and Iris Bleu Gris (not from the same vat) next and probably Parfum d’Habit and Santal Noble next. All MPGs I’ve smelled are howitzers of olfactory experience compared to the peashooters of department store advertising born razzle-dazzle fragrances that everyone knows. Every MPG is an experience telling you something and therefore each succeeds as a piece of art. Some more than others. But when I say one of them is not as good as another, I don’t mean that it is bad or down on a level with easily mocked scents. I go for this house big time, and am happy to tell you which I prefer within the house. In no case do I mean to suggest that a non-favorite of mine is not worth seeking out for the experience of making up your own mind. In my estimation we are comparing 95th percentile fragrances against each other when we talk about one MPG versus another. I’ll take a slighted MPG over, well, many an easy to find house, always.

There is one more thing to mention which shows the olfactory vision of this house. Current European niche houses that I know of tend to release as their early products scents that show the house’s mastery of an ingredient. Lorenzo Villoresi makes a Vetiver, a Patchouli, a Sandalo, a Musk, and all are sold under those names. Laporte at L’Artisan released in the late nineteen-seventies that house’s Vetiver, Santal, Patchouli, Vanilla, Tubèreuse, and the simply titled Eau d’Ambre. MPG, with the exception of its own Tubèreuse, does not market its scents as such simple reflections and uses of the ingredient. At MPG, opulence is added in the fragrances name—PRECIOUS amber, NOBLE sandalwood. MPG is golden, is enriched, is indulgent, is plush, is moody, is not content with mere renderings of nature. MPGs strive to be whatever ingredient they are, but with an edge, a lesson to teach you. Route du Vetiver. Not vetiver, but an experience of the cold and hostile wilderness.

It is easy to go over the top, and make you feel like you’re crapping in a fancy Italian restaurant’s marble, gold, and mirrors men’s room, but MPG doesn’t make this error. But that is only my judgment. Friends here disagree with me. Friends also disagree with me about the lasting power of MPGs on skin. On me they generally last a long time—for some odd reason the heavy Jardin du Nil doesn’t seem to. Still, to get the wish that the house wants to share with you, I think that where the early L’Artisan Parfumeur stuff wanted to show you an ingredient in a beautiful way, MPG wants to show you an atmosphere of luxe, calme, et volupté.
    --Chris

Oh my god ^^

Lucky man

I m so happy, i just checked my email, and i have an answer from the main mpg shop in Paris.

Since i live quite close from Paris (Geneva in switzerland, 500 km from Paris) i have asked if i could buy as many samples as they have, if possible the entire masculine line. I have sent a nice email (french is my first langage) explaining how much i was interested, etc. etc. after having bought Santal Noble .

They just answered me this morning (sent the mail yesterday !) and they told me (free translation ^^) that they would love to make me discover the whole male MPG line, but that they unfortunately don t have currently every parfum as a sample.

However, they sent me today (for free) every masculine fragrance they have at the moment as a sample.

OMG i m so looking forward to it ... I replied to say thanks a lot, but did not ask which they could send me, because it will be quite a nice surprise when i ll open my "letter". I also really really wonder how many samples there will be.. I guess i ll have it by next friday.

This niche is my favourite. I hope they will be some good ones.

Btw , i looooooooooove living so close from Paris ^^ !
    Last edited by Roc_Xel; 12th May 2008 at 06:32 PM.

What? No Bahiana?

Chris, your post was a true pleasure to read. Thank you for the wonderful insights on this house. I can't wait to try more MPG, and I'm sure DutchSmell will be counting the days till the package arrives. I know I would.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 12th May 2008 at 06:49 PM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I think I know the eBay seller you got your package from. The price is pretty darn good (60ml of samples for under $30!!!), but be aware that it does not contain everything in the MPG line (such as Soir d'Orient or Bahiana) and that the seller may include duplicates of some and excludes some that were supposed to be there. Ambre Precieux and Fraiche Passiflore were missing from mine, but I got two samples of Baime and Tubereuse instead.

Thanks Mostapha, and thanks R_M, for your comments. I'm really pleased I could help.
    --Chris

Have a great time with those samples. MPG is a great house, but your list is missing my favorite MPG - Eau des Isles! So, after these 30, you have at least one more that you've gotta try!

Thanks for everyone's post! And Chris I enjoyed reading your post very much (although sometimes I had trouble understanding everything, but that's my bad as English ain't my first language!), cheers!
    Last edited by DutchSmell; 12th May 2008 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    I think I know the eBay seller you got your package from. The price is pretty darn good (60ml of samples for under $30!!!), but be aware that it does not contain everything in the MPG line (such as Soir d'Orient or Bahiana) and that the seller may include duplicates of some and excludes some that were supposed to be there. Ambre Precieux and Fraiche Passiflore were missing from mine, but I got two samples of Baime and Tubereuse instead.
    I was just about to post this too... In fact the guy knows that they aren't all included. To his credit, he offered a "small" refund, but wasn't able to provide any of the missing viles.

Still, the majority of them were there, and I enjoyed them so I don't complain too much!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    I was just about to post this too... In fact the guy knows that they aren't all included. To his credit, he offered a "small" refund, but wasn't able to provide any of the missing viles.

Still, the majority of them were there, and I enjoyed them so I don't complain too much!
    He gave me other freebies, so I ain't complaining myself! The ones that were missing I got from Aedes later anyway.

Here's another thread filled with some good reviews:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=Maitre

My favorites:
    9.IRIS BLEU GRIS
    14.SECRET MELANGE
    15.PARFUMS D'HABIT
    20.SANTAL NOBLE

I also recommend checking out Soir d'Orient which was a limited released MPG only in Dubai...an oud and amber scent. I really didn't care for it, but it's a favorite amongst many and fans of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Years ago I wrote up this post for an MPG thread, but a thorough search didn't turn it up on the site. Lucky I saved it in my own file. As will be obvious, I wrote this when Jardin du Nil was a recent scent. Of course, all are invited to disagree with my thoughts.
    --Chris
    Everything in that linked post is spot on. Maitre is almost without exception extremely rich, humorless, cold, vain, etc. Any other house (creed) that claims "Royal Tradition" is 2nd in terms of "Royalness", and "Tradition". The majority of their catalog literally invokes images of 19th century western european snobbery & arrogance IMHO.

It's strange, I do like so many of Maitre's scents, but would wear so few.
    I'd personally go Baime or Racine 1st.

Is there anyone with a sample or decant of Bahiana for trade?

Route du Vetiver first, if you're brave. (Strong, earthy stuff, this.)
    Go for Badiane if you want to ease into it. (Crisp, classic citrus.)
    Grab Or des Indes if you're feeling warm, fond of opoponax and a tad androgynous.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 16th May 2008 at 03:10 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Don't be afraid to try some of the samples that would appear to be for women. There are several that are truly uni-sex and very good.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette