Code of Conduct

Default The saddest bottle of L'Heure Bleue

Recently I saw a vintage bottle of L'Heure Bleue for sale on Ebay and of course I had to look at the description. It was incredibly sad:

"This bottle of Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (The Blue Hour), was bought as a wedding gift by a friend of the family for his wife in 1958. The bottle has never been opened and comes with it's original stopper, protective wadding and box and is in excellent condition having been kept untouched all these years, as you can see from the photos.

The box is undamaged apart from the usual slight signs of aging and the bottle is still sealed so the stopper is unused, the perfume though has all but evaporated, with just a few drops left in the bottom."

I don't know how long this link will be good for, but here's the original:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=015
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Default Re: The saddest bottle of L'Heure Bleue

What an adorable little bottle, thanks for posting!
    How sad it had never been used... The bride must have passed away not long after her marriage, or maybe she treasured it so much she just saved it, never found a good enough occasion to use it, and then forgot about it...No, THAT is most unlikely.

BTW: My wedding gift from hubby was a tiny golden rat charm (since I am a rat lover), which I always wear.
    Fortunately most people can´t see it is actually a rat. Oops - off topic

HEY - what an ADORABLE Word family!!
    Last edited by musse; 12th May 2008 at 04:00 PM.

I agree, cute WB family!

That LHB story makes me sad, as well. Hard to tell if the scent was unloved or loved too much to be opened and worn. I think there's a lesson in there, somewhere. Bummer that only a couple of drops remain. Maybe it reminded someone of her and they just hung onto it for scentimental reasons?

Musse - I met a guy who liked rats as well, claimed they are great pets and said that humans carry more disease than rats do (when I questioned him on the issue). Rats scare me - once, working late and alone, I saw one scurry across the office floor (old NY hospital building) - I screamed and jumped on top of the big conference table and crawled my way across the table to the telephone where I called the hospital operator; in a panicky voice told her I'd just seen a rat. She told me to turn on a radio: "they don't like noise". She sounded like she answered that question all day long. Kind of funny.

I wonder what the final selling price will be.
    I also wonder how different it smells from the current parfum.
    I like almost all Guerlains in parfum (except Samsara) rather than EDT, EDP.
    This one is no exception. The parfum has few of strong topnotes and comes out smelling more like the lovely base.