Code of Conduct

Thread: Vol de Nuit

Default Vol de Nuit

Hi basenoters! What do you think about "Vol de Nuit"? The fragance is absolutely fantastic, pure "vintage" spirit, but I'm interested in the longevity of the EdT concentration. I've bad experiences with the poor longevity of other "eaux de toilette" by Guerlain (is not the case of the "eaux de parfum" or "extraits").

Thank you! Greetings from Spain

Beau garçon
    Last edited by Beau Garçon; 12th May 2008 at 07:58 PM.

Default Re: Vol de Nuit

Funny - there's a lot of talking about Vol de Nuit on various boards right now. Someone started a wave or something?

I'm not a sillage freak, so I'm more than satisfied with all my Guerlains' longevity, also Vol de Nuit. It doesn't last a longer or shorter time than any of the classic Guerlain EdT's. So perhaps I'm not the one to give my view to someone who likes monster-scents.

The EdT is more 'open', transparent and powdery than the extrait. I can also recommend the EdC which is even more open, very much herbal and inviting, in the same vein as Jicky EdC.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Garçon View Post
    Hi basenoters! What do you think about "Vol de Nuit"? The fragance is absolutely fantastic, pure "vintage" spirit, but I'm interested in the longevity of the EdT concentration. I've bad experiences with the poor longevity of other "eaux de toilette" by Guerlain (is not the case of the "eaux de parfum" or "extraits").

Thank you! Greetings from Spain

Beau garçon

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Funny - there's a lot of talking about Vol de Nuit on various boards right now. Someone started a wave or something?
    - Turins review, of course! Vol de Nuit had traditionally been a widows' favorite and is less well known by men.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Basenotes Institution

I just got a sample in the mail today (thanks Wordbird) - I will repost my thoughts when I've sampled it. It's the EdT.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Of course yes - he praised it to the skies in the guide. The aromatic herbs - such as galbanum - of Vol de Nuit makes it quite 'unisex'. You'll find this special herbal bouquet in Sous le Vent and Philtre d'Amour too. It's a very 'old-fashioned', wistful smell. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    - Turins review, of course! Vol de Nuit had traditionally been a widows' favorite and is less well known by men.

Last edited by pluran; 22nd November 2011 at 07:29 AM.

- Turins review, of course!
    I nabbed a small bottle of VdN extrait (somewhat vintage) last year on ebay as a result of having read Turin's "blog". It's an amazing scent in and of itself and I enjoy wearing it at home but I can't help but think it might come across (as Turin/Sanchez describe it in Perfumes: The Guide) as 'glamorous': "... Guerlain ... it already had a couple of glamorous classic orientals in Vol de Nuit and Shalimar,..."

I'd prefer to think I'm wrong but I find that this rich / glamorous feel might not be the way many post-modern men would want to come across in the public sphere. Actually, I hope I'm wrong here! (I'm the easily persuaded type and open to viewing something from a different angle.) I'm sure the edt (which I haven't tried yet) has a different feel to it. I don't find the extrait at all "powdery" as Mr. Guerlain describes. I look forward to reading what others might have to say about the edt.

Interestingly, VdN is often compared to other scents in P: TG, such as: "... Shaal Nur [Etro] is a woody-warm vetiver, not a million miles from Vol de Nuit but leaner and drier. Very nice."

Bienvenido a Basenotes! Voy a estar no tan lejos de Barcelona en Junio para una semana! Hay buenas tiendas de perfumes en Barcelona?? (tambien de tipo "niche"?)
    Last edited by Delmar; 13th May 2008 at 08:24 AM.

Not glamorous unless you pour it on you. And if you want to enjoy it he way it most likely has been in the thirties, get the parfum. Applied discretely It's more restrained than L'Heure Bleue. It's a situation fragrance, too, like incense fragrances and Iris, and not for the young or a night out. I remember discussing it with a Basenoter from Portugal in (probably 2005). I hope he wore it going to a Fado concert he had tickets for. That would be such an ideal match. Turin's music associations were good, too!

Pluran
    , that must be a fantastic guide you are quoting from, plus a good translation program! Does it do French, too? Thank you for these details, I'll print a copy to put into my guide.
    Last edited by narcus; 13th May 2008 at 08:44 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

No the extrait is sharp-aromatic, not powdery - as I wrote, the EDT (which you haven't tried yet) has a powdery feel (as almost all the Guerlain-EDTs have compared to the extraits). If you want more aromatic, less powder, go for the discontinued EDC.

Glamorous? I'd say more melancholic, but perhaps in a glamorous way.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    I'm sure the edt (which I haven't tried yet) has a different feel to it. I don't find the extrait at all "powdery" as Mr. Guerlain describes.

'Extrait' - just to be on the safe side, Mr. Guerlain - we both mean the same thing: Vol de Nuit, le parfum ?
    Last edited by narcus; 14th May 2008 at 07:40 AM.

Hehe, yes - we mean parfum. All those words, extract, extrait, parfum...

'Extrait' - just to be on the safe side, Mr. Guerlain - we both mean the same thing: Vol de Nuit, le parfum ?

Basenotes Institution

So then Guerlain doesn't make VdN in an Eau de Parfum? Why the hell not?!

I feel VdN perfume like more woody-balsamic in the start&heart and flowery powdery in sillage.
    I think it`s elemi, olibanum and costus (I thought it was opopanax) that works in start.

My version is (C) 1984, golden box with black square for the name.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Because - think lil me - that the PdT idea is this modern commercial bastard from 1986 and 1987 that were only made for the big, big classic sellers: Shalimar, Jicky, Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue and Chamade. Vol de Nuit was left untouched, like an obscure voice from the past

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So then Guerlain doesn't make VdN in an Eau de Parfum? Why the hell not?!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Because - think lil me - that the PdT idea is this modern commercial bastard from 1986 and 1987 that were only made for the big, big classic sellers: Shalimar, Jicky, Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue and Chamade. Vol de Nuit was left untouched, like an obscure voice from the past
    OK, that makes sense.

I didn't realize that Vol de Nuit was not a big seller. It's just that the perfume is so expensive.

Basenotes Institution

I'm wearing the parfum on my wrist as I type this (thanks Ruggles) and it's amazing guys. Wow! So, so different than the EdT. The galbanum at the top notes gives it just the nicest breath-of-fresh-air vibe and really makes it soar.

Amazing stuff. I want more!!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 18th January 2009 at 04:08 AM.

I haven't tried the EdT yet, but I love the parfum....

I had never entertained the idea of trying VDN until my sales assistant suggested I try it a couple of weeks back , I tried the parfum concentration and loved it . Didnt think it was at all overtly feminine .
    Its on my 2009 must buy list

Off-Scenter

I've only used Vol de Nuit in the parfum concentration, and as much as I enjoy the scent, even the parfum is very short lived on me.

I tried I got some vintage edt from The Perfumed Court and while the opening was GREAT, herbal and cologne-like, but it quickly turned iris/vanilla/oakmoss powder on me. Turned into a nice Guerlain skin scent but in this form skidded far too close to grandma territory for me. I'll personally have to try the edp or parfum to really judge.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Maximiliani View Post
    I'll personally have to try the edp or parfum to really judge.
    They don't make VdN in a EdP (read Mr. Guerlain's comment above). Try the parfum.

I wonder which one is better for a man - Miss Dior perfume or Vol de Nuit?
    Last edited by DreamerII; 19th January 2009 at 06:49 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel