Code of Conduct
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Default Re: Note Identification Project - Please Join In!

I've been reading and enjoying the reviews on the La Via deI Profumo thread!
    Asha, I don't know what samples I will get when it's my group's turn, but save yours, and we will swap.

I bet lots of older perfumes used to have real animalics in them. Usually, when I try a vintage perfume, I am impressed by the way women used to wear bolder fragrances than they do now. It seems incongruous, that we are "liberated" to express our opinions, conduct our love lives, and hold any type of job, but our perfumes are more careful and apologetic!

I think Paloma Picasso has synthetic castoreum.
    Jicky parfum concentration has noticeable civit.
    And Shalimar has a big, smoky note, maybe styrax.

Okay FINALLY My cold is really gone so I can smell again. I'm not a very elaborate writer I must say...

General question: what shall I do with all those samples?
    Send them on? Add new ones?

FROM PURPLEBIRD
    Galbanum Iran: the same as mine = resinous dark green pine sour bitter astringent

Galbanum mystery: fresh floral lily violet

Kuumba amber paste: warm honey and beeswax yummy

Rose India: fresh cut lemongrass rose

Sandalwood south plains: sweet vanilla orange very nice

Sandalwood eden botanicals: harsh rooty resin

Andrew's sandalwood: sweet woody

FROM TAMORA

Methyl Heptine Carbonate: 1% water fresh light floral violet cucumber

real ambergris tincture 1%: musky civet animal stinky

bergamot 10%: fresh citrus

benzoin tincture (siam): dark vanilla

birch leaf 1% woody smoky tobacco

lady in black's: beastly jasmine otb stinky feet? earthy dirt moldy decay, sorry but I had to rub this off

storax tincture: warm vanilla resin sweet

lady's in black's bad: chanel no 5 dupe: warm musk aldehyde citrus

myrrh tincture: warm woody resin

wormwood 1% artemisia absinthium: herbal spiciness a bit old?

ginger 10%: dry powder spicy warm harsh

rose damascene: wow sexy warm goodness, where is this from?

patchouli: moldy earthy dirt dark warm

vanilla: yummy sweetness

cedar: my favorite dry wood pencils

ylang ylang 10%: classic sexy scent this one is a bit plastic?

cassia 5%: wow heavy buttery cinnamon

bois de rose 10%: rosewood nice rosy but the alcohol overwhelms my nose

Cos of allergies I didn't try many directly on skin. I might though but I'll have to dilute them some more.

If nobody wants them, I'll take them!
    The idea is to keep sending them on, so you could PM some of the people here who expressed an interest, but if they don't answer, send those little vials to me.

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    If nobody wants them, I'll take them!
    The idea is to keep sending them on, so you could PM some of the people here who expressed an interest, but if they don't answer, send those little vials to me.
    I'm sorry if I sound dumb
    Which people?
    In this thread? Or from the list I've received from Asha a while ago?

And which vials? The vials I got from you (sandalwood etc.)? The vials from Tamora (Lady in black perfumes)? Or the extra vials I wanted to send/add to the project?

Thank you so much!

Irina, I don't think Tamora's package made the rounds yet. There should have been a list inside, or a package of address labels. The only thing is that the newest people were not put in the packages since they came along later. I have not had Tamora's package either, but I still have one from whisperingleaves (yes, I've been bad). So yes, please send to somebody on the list who has not yet smelled Tamora's package.

But it sounds like there are 3 packages total, so unless purplebird thinks otherwise, my suggestion is to keep them separate.

I'm very confused now... I'll pm every member on the list that I've got from you and I'll take it from there.

Tamora's package should have labels inside with the names of the early participants who still need to receive it.
    However, there may not be names of the new people in there yet.
    They are: Indie Guy, Aiona, and you (Irina). So, add those names to the inside of Tamora's package.
    Then pick one label to paste on the outside of the box, leave the rest of the lables inside the box, and send it on.
    Same goes for any other samples you might receive.
    If anyone starts to send something new around, please use the complete list that Asha compiled, with both old and new participants. I have that list, so PM if you need it.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 13th March 2009 at 11:56 PM.

Tamora's package should have labels inside with the names of the early participants who still need to receive it.
    However, there may not be names of the new people in there yet.
    They are: Indie Guy, Aiona, and you (Irina). So, add those names to the inside of Tamora's package.
    Then pick one label to paste on the outside of the box, leave the rest of the lables inside the box, and send it on.
    Same goes for any other samples you might receive.
    If anyone starts to send something new around, please use the complete list that Asha compiled, with both old and new participants. I have that list, so PM if you need it.
    Okay, the pm's I sent actually clarified things A LOT! I'd really recommend this for anyone that receives stuff: pm everyone on the list

It seems so far there is only 1 person on the list that hasn't received anything. The rest either already have received the ones I have or are in possession of other packages.

Tamora's package didn't contain addresses, only yours, Purplebird, did.

Anyways if I may suggest this:

I'll make just 1 parcel, I'll include a list of everything that contains. I'll add some aromachemicals and some of my own creations.

(Purplebird, I'll pm you bout your wishes and we'll figure something out, but it seems handy to keep that outside the loop cos I'm afraid it will get confusing)

I'll send this parcel to Jillsy, cos she hasn't received anything yet. Also I'll include a list of the other members with the new information I've received (who received what and who's next on the list).

Quote Originally Posted by Irina View Post
    I'll send this parcel to Jillsy, cos she hasn't received anything yet. Also I'll include a list of the other members with the new information I've received (who received what and who's next on the list).
    Oops, just to clarify - I received something last year and sent it on but I am not in posession of a package nor have received either of the 2 packages you mentioned. I'm an ESFP therefore I tend to "jump from thought to thought in mid-sentence, touching here or there in a manner that's almost incoherent to the listener"
    Last edited by jillsy; 14th March 2009 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    I'm an ESFP
    Hi. I'm an ENTJ. That makes our work styles quite different, doesn't it?
    LOL
    Jillsy needs another package! (I've got some store samples I can pass on to you, too, if you're interested. The Chanel rep at Von Mauer just showered me with them because we're friends now.)
    Irina, I didn't realize that Tamora's package didn't have a set of labels. All of these swap packages should have a full list of them inside. That's why it was so confusing as to who had gotten it and who hadn't.
    Will someone please put them in?

This thread is at 9,300 views. I will call upon each of you to be vigilant and PM our dear friend and comrade LIB when it reaches 10,000 in order to hold her to her promise to drench herself in pure civit or castoreum when it reaches the ten K mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Purplebird, so many views...isn't it wonderful? The moment it hits 10,000 I am going to wear diluted civet (reconst.) on its own ... no wait, make that castoreum (reconst.) - after all, I love leather
    Lady goin' to be stinkin'!

My son is a bit better so I can post to Jillsy and Purplebird tomorrow!!!

I have a question (I'll cross post this in the DIY section)
    I trying to identify specific notes in a blend so I can train my nose.
    However I've came across some blends (with no label nor maker) that are totally puzzling me! Would anyone that's more experienced be willing to give me a hand?
    I can send you some samples (for free of course) and you can tell me your impressions.
    Please email me if you think you would like to help.
    Thank you sooooo much!

Hi. I'm an ENTJ. That makes our work styles quite different, doesn't it?
    Ahh ENTJs are great - my mother and little sis are ENTJs.

Got the package from Irina yesters, unfortunately my nose has been a bit blocked on and off the past two days. I did manage to clear my nose and have a quick sniff - just when I thought I was sick of roses I smelled that rose oil from India... WHOA! That's gorgeous stuff! I'm loving it! It's not as heavy as the other roses I've smelled lately.

Will post the rest of my impression soon!
    Last edited by jillsy; 31st March 2009 at 10:18 AM.

Irina, I suggest you post to the Female Fragrance thread. Someone will take you up on the offer. We have had people do that before.
    Or you could ask one of the professional perfumers on Basenotes. Those people are really, really good at identifying ingredients.

Great news!
    ECaruthers has made a wonderful suggestion--organizing the Note Identification reviews according to note.
    This will yield a fabulous Note Identification Guide.
    We are working on it right now.
    The theory is this: By putting descriptions of aromas into words, especially descriptions by several different people, readers will be able to recognize and remember smells more easily. In other words, if people say, "this smells like..." other people, when they smell something, can understand and remember that aroma..
    This is fabulous.
    Anyway, there are 32 pages of reviews, so sit tight, and it will be forthcoming.
    I leave this decision to you, [B]ECaruthers[/B--please decide how to post the document. I don't know if it should go on the thread as it is because it is so long. Maybe it would be possible to upload it for people to download. Your computer expertise is needed.
    At any rate, thank you for your inspiration.
    The project continues...
    And we're almost at 10,000 views.
    LIB get ready to smell skanky. Remember? You promised.

GREAT idea!!!

Don't worry, I remember my promise and I've got my castoreum and civet reconsitutions all set and ready
    Think I'll mix them with some jasmine eo and a bit of cade, just for the fun of it! Maybe also some pure oudh oil from Cambodgia...it smells like a pig farm. Oh my gosh, I'm going to stink to high heaven.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Great news! ECaruthers has made a wonderful suggestion--organizing the Note Identification reviews according to note. This will yield a fabulous Note Identification Guide...
    What a fantastic resource that will be! A big thank you in advance to you, purplebird, and to you, ECaruthers!

I've done my document in Microsoft Word 97 so that everybody can open it, even if they have kludgy, outdated software like me.
    ECaruthers is going to do something clever in Excel spreadsheet and a newer version of Word.
    It's going to be fantastic. It's all arranged by categories of notes and grouped by each specific note.
    Just you wait and see. All that good information has been cross-referenced.
    It's an organizational freak's dream come true.
    Thanks for the card, Hanunani.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 27th April 2009 at 08:08 PM.

Here it is, a complete list of all the Note Identification Project reviews organized by note.
    It is too large to upload to this site, so I will provide a link.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14761125/N...ectAll-Reviews

Thank you, ECaruthersfor the idea to organize all of this information into this useful guide. It needed to be done, and I never would have done it without your encouragement.
    He is going to upload a few more documents soon in spreadsheet format.
    So, look for those soon.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 29th April 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Can I add my impressions on labdanum, pleeeease?

Labdanum Absolute #1, solvent extracted, origin Spain, source Eden Botanicals: intriguing...I eventually get to try the star of amber accords in so many fragrances. This one is pleasantly sweet, only moderately powdery, with a strong smell of pine wood, pine resin and slight incense.

Labdanum Absolute #2, solvent extracted, origin Spain, source Eden Botanicals: much sweeter and creamier than Labdanum #1, with an intense wine-y note. The smell of pine resin is more subdued.

Thank you, p-bird!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Okay, LIB. I'll make an exception for you. I've added them.
    If someone else wants to start Part Two of this project, more reviews can go on a second document.

TA DAAAA!
    That's it. We've passed 10,000 views.
    And LIB's a stinky girl!
    Thanks, everybody for your interest. I hope you like the note-by-note reviews.

Thanks again for this wonderful resource. I just downloaded it and look forward to the reading.

Fabulous, thank you for providing this!

You're welcome.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 12th May 2009 at 02:43 AM.

Great work purplebird7, and everyone who contributed to this thread.

Blog Entries

There's a brand new forum dedicated to the note discussion: http://community.basenotes.net/forumdisplay.php?f=107
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."
    Currently wearing: Magot by Etro

If it's ok with purplebird--I think this thread should be moved to the new forum!

Smile Re: Note Identification Project - Please Join In!

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if i can join in...
    I got -a couple of years ago- a small bottle of Gardenia Absolut i bought in Grasse, possibly the most expensive absolut i have ever bought, made via enfleurage (it's not Benzil salicilate nor Syvertal -no chemicals) with the most fragrant gardenia flowers...
    i know many still think gardenias don't yield oils (even some so called perfume journalists!) but they do.

cheers!

I would appreciate any help in obtaining the many synthetics that are listed, especially the synthetic musks. Those samples I've ordered from the Perfumer's Apprentice seem to be very weak tinctures.

Basenotes Member
    Blog Entries

Great level of information here dcampen.Please help me understand your dilution a little bit better. So, you would take 1grams or oz of alpha-ionone, you would add 20 grs of the raw material right? What percentage of dilution is the final mix tough 1%, 10%, 25% or 50%. If not, what is the ratio for 1%, 10%, 25% or 50% dilution? As I have a bunch of raw material at home waiting to be diluted to get started. Thank you

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast