Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which designer fragrances are comparable to niche?

For me Lalique Pour Homme Equus. Mr. Roucel created something worthy of a Creed label, with beautiful rosemary/cedar dominated oriental.
    Which designer fragrance do you think is too good, for its own good?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 4th June 2010 at 11:44 PM.

Default Re: Which designer fragrances are good enough to be niche?

I take issue with "good enough" and substitute "displaying qualities of" since I find a typical niche perfume to be quirky (not always in a good way) and appealing to a narrow range, but not afraid to experiment.

So juice that does not pander to a wide audience, is a bit quirky, and somewhat experimental:

New mainstreams:
    Thierry Mugler: Angel, Alien, A*Men, B*Men (gourmande and extreme - but an example where an experiment changed a whole market segment!)
    Gucci: pour Homme (incense)
    Caron: L'Anarchiste
    YSL: Kouros, M7

Classics, that are hard to wear:
    Robert Piguet: Fracas (heck Malle and Lutens copy the basic idea!)
    Guerlain: Jicky (Tons o' Civet)
    Chanel No 5 (that slug of aldehyde makes it hard to wear for many but they still do!)
    Caron Yatagan

The interesting part, though, is when a maninstream house comes up with something somewhat experimental, and it works, it changes the market, and even niche houses spend some time following the popularity, though they are a bit more experimental!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 13th May 2008 at 12:59 AM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I take issue with "good enough" and substitute "displaying qualities of" since I find a typical niche perfume to be quirky (not always in a good way) and appealing to a narrow range, but not afraid to experiment.

So juice that does not pander to a wide audience, is a bit quirky, and somewhat experimental:

New mainstreams:
    Thierry Mugler: Angel, Alien, A*Men, B*Men (gourmande and extreme - but an example where an experiment changed a whole market segment!)
    Gucci: pour Homme (incense)
    Caron: L'Anarchiste
    YSL: Kouros, M7

Classics, that are hard to wear:
    Robert Piguet: Fracas (heck Malle and Lutens copy the basic idea!)
    Guerlain: Jicky (Tons o' Civet)
    Chanel No 5 (that slug of aldehyde makes it hard to wear for many but they still do!)
    Caron Yatagan

The interesting part, though, is when a maninstream house comes up with something somewhat experimental, and it works, it changes the market, and even niche houses spend some time following the popularity, though they are a bit more experimental!
    Very well thought out reply. Kudos to you sir!

Let me add:

Giorgio for Men (1984) (feels great to be able to say that one again!)
    Jaipur Homme
    Envy
    Antaeus
    Habit Rouge
    Equipage
    Zino
    Aramis 900
    JHL
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Obsession for Men
    Bogart Pour Homme
    Devin
    Eau Sauvage
    Krizia uomo
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 13th May 2008 at 01:43 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I'll answer this question with another question.
    Which niche fragrances could pass as designer fragrances?
    To answer the original question, one that comes to mind is Hypnose Pour Homme by Lancome. Drakkar is one that I really think fits in this category. Classic Armani along with Code for Men are very nice. Givenchy's Pi and Prada for Men. Jean Paul Gaultier Pour Homme and JPG2 are there for me also. Jaipur and Boucheron Pour Homme make the list also. I also agree with those that have been mentioned.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Fair enough.

I will also commend Bromo on his picks. Those are some great ones though. I would like to add Dior Homme.

Blog Entries

Of the recent launches, Victor & Rolf Antidote (or maybe it is "niche" since its not that widely available), Narciso Rodriguez for men and Dior Homme Intense.

Basenotes Institution

I've been meaning to get to that sample of Lalique Pour Homme Equus that I have - thanks for the reminder Ruggles.

Two designer fragrances that 'display qualities' of niche houses are: Black Orchid by Tom Ford and Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Sur la Plage

I would add to what has already been mentioned:

Chanel Egoiste
    YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme
    YSL Opium (women's version)
    Michael for Men
    Rochas Lui
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The unspoken assumption of your question is that niche fragrances by their very nature are superior to designer fragrances. I'm sorry but I can't agree with that blanket assertion.

Designer fragrances tend to cater to the masses, putting out a product which can be mass produced at consistent levels of quality and consistency at prices that people are willing to pay.

Niche fragrances can't compete head on with the designer fragrances so they have to compete in other areas. Some, compete by using all natural ingredients, others compete with innovation and creativity, some with custom service and some get by purely on snob appeal.

The bottom line is that Designer Fragrance houses put out a consistent high quality product with a relatively narrow dynamic range from the worst to the best where as niche fragrance have a much broader range, from truly bad to exceptionally good and everything in between.

I also have a hard time considering the Creed line, a niche fragrances. I see Creed as a higher end design house. Really, when you have so much effort going into producing counterfeits of your products you have move beyond being a niche company.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Lalique's are as lucid as the glass they are known for.
    After an hour of Equus I forget what I am wearing - if anything.
    Guerlain, Caron, Lancôme, Lauder - designers of what

Quote Originally Posted by oolong View Post
    Designer fragrances tend to cater to the masses, putting out a product which can be mass produced at consistent levels of quality and consistency at prices that people are willing to pay.
    A growing number of fragrances cater to the masses, but by far not all.Think of Comme des Garcons und Elterhaus !
    Last edited by narcus; 13th May 2008 at 02:52 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The unspoken assumption of your question is that niche fragrances by their very nature are superior to designer fragrances. I'm sorry but I can't agree with that blanket assertion.
    I also have a hard time considering the Creed line, a niche fragrances. I see Creed as a higher end design house.
    I understand your point. My view of niche fragrances is that they don't play to the biggest audience. It isn't a question of "superior nature" it's a question of "quirkiness." Please, no offense was intended.

This idea sounds dreadful. After all, as the saying goes, "the masses are revolting."

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    This idea sounds dreadful. After all, as the saying goes, "the masses are revolting."

Ultimately there are three types of people in this world, conformist who conform to the status quo, rebels who are just as much slaves to the status quo as the conformist but in a contrary way and people who make their own choices. I recommend option #3.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Ultimately there are three types of people in this world, conformist who conform to the status quo, rebels who are just as much slaves to the status quo as the conformist but in a contrary way and people who make their own choices. I recommend option #3.
    You and me both, brother.

I think Bulgari Black fits the bill. Innovative, bold and coming completely left of the field, very much in the spirit of the niche tradition but somehow ended up in a designer house.

Versace The Dreamer

Alain Delon Iquitos

Last edited by knightowl; 13th May 2008 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    Lalique's are as lucid as the glass they are known for.
    After an hour of Equus I forget what I am wearing - if anything.
    Guerlain, Caron, Lancôme, Lauder - designers of what
    Yeah, labels are ridiculous, but how else can we communicate here?

Just wanted you to know Rouce didn't create Equus. His was Lalique's Lion.

Quote Originally Posted by nattygold View Post
    Just wanted you to know Rouce didn't create Equus. His was Lalique's Lion.
    Sorry, I did a type-oh. Thanks, for the correction - I have and wear the lion, it must be my ADD kicking in.

Well, I'll play along with what I think the spirit of the original question is, and state:

Antidote by Viktor and Rolf
    Prada Amber pour homme
    Salvador Dali pou homme
    L'Anarchiste
    Grey Flannel
    Kingdom
    Fleur Du Male
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Emilie (Bevierre) Coppermann is the nose behind Lalique pour Homme Equus, according to parfyym.pri.ee.

I have trouble deciding which houses are designer and which are niche. I think "designer" means couture or fashion houses that also commission scents. "Niche" means specialized, low production, higher quality(?) houses. Not sure about that last. What is Hermès? Designer? Probably, but they specialize in leather goods rather than clothes, don't they? I think most of their stuff is pretty good, some of it even classic. Chanel is a designer house, according to my definition, and some really classic scents, both men's and women's, have come out of there; certainly not cheap, and maybe not mass-market either.

Some niche houses are pretty spotty in terms of quality and suffer from other types of problems. A lot of people think that L'Artisan scents are pretty weak in longevity, even though some are very nice as far as quality goes, for example. The same is often said of Diptyque, another place commonly counted as "niche."

I think the key to answering this question for me is to look at the noses behind the scents. Some designer stuff has come from really great noses: Daltroff, Ernest Beaux, you can name them all, I bet. The scents that come from great noses, whether done for designer houses or for niche houses, or for any other category of firm you care to name or invent, are the great ones. I've got personal favorites, which I've named before, so I won't go over the list again right now...

Good questions like this sharpen people's analytical skills I think. It's great to mull them over and see all the answers a crowd like Basenoters can produce.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 13th May 2008 at 05:22 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I'll also go for the 'quirky' definition (i.e. scents that are sufficiently unique as not to be aiming for the lowest common demoninator). I feel any of these coud be launched under niche labels and be hailed as masterpieces. They could also be sold for double or even quadruple their high street store prices:

Lalique Encre Noire (simply superb, unique, dark)
    Lalique Equus (incredible use of cedar)
    Dior Fahrenheit (petrol notes - how could you go wrong?)
    Dior Fahrenheit Summer (a petrol station on the Costa del Sol in August)
    YSL M7 (dark and syrupy)
    YSL M7 Fresh (stand-alone scent, so close to Ormonde Jayne Man)
    YSL Kouros (the masterpiece)
    YSL Kouros Fraicher (quirky variation of masterpiece)
    YSL Pour Homme Haute Concentree (incredibly powerful citrus summer scent)
    La Perla Grigioperla (one of the finest green scents)
    La Perla Grigioperla Hedo (the green brother of the Laliques)
    Chanel Antaeus (powdery leather, another masterpiece)
    Narciso Rodriguez For Him (wet cement, rotting vegetation, a modern classic)
    Caron l'Anarchiste (simply nothing like it!)
    Caron Yatagan (ditto)
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere (now discontinued North African-style classic)
    Escada Pour Homme (boozy, golden)
    Michael for Men by Michael Kors (even boozier, even more golden)
    Ungaro III (dark, rich gothic - yet mannerly too)
    Fendi Uomo (brown, rich, cheeky and quirky)
    Nicole Farhi Man (transluscent and spicy summery classic)
    Halston I-12 (another top green scent)
    Versace Black Jeans (superb black tea scent, could be a l'Artisan standard)
    Versace Green Jeans (OK, maybe stretching here, but a charming piney green scent, could be a CdG)

I agree that the question is flawed - there are a hell of a lot of "niche" fragrances which are just plain awful, take L'Artisan Perfumeur's Fou D'Absinthe for example, it's like a chemical accident, absolutely disgusting, yet lauded by some for being daring and innovative. Why would someone choose to smell like an industrial strength disinfectant? And don't even get me started on Penhaligon's Hammam...

I think there other names from the mainstream which could be considered niche if they were in a different bottle and under another name - Escada's Magnetism for example, dreadful name, but fabulous juice.

Carven Homme
    Lagerfeld
    Arpege PH
    to mention a few

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

- Nobody mentions Terre d'Hermes?
    - Kouros of course. Not because it's "good enough" to be niche (and not to imply that niche is better than designer fragrances), but because it's daring enough. Some other YSL's come to mind too.
    - I don't know where to put Guerlain, but certainly a lot of Guerlain fragrances are daring enough.
    - A*Men.
    - Dior Homme.
    These are the ones on my mind now.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

For me Lalique Pour Homme Equus. Mr. Roucel created something worthy of a Creed label, with beautiful rosemary/cedar dominated oriental.
    I take issue with how you've phrased your question and then used Creed as the yardstick of niche.

It could just as easily validly have been written as,
    "Which designer fragrances are bad enough to be niche (Creed and MPG excepted)."
    Renato

IMHO...

A*Men
    Rochas LUI
    Dior Higher
    Baldessarini

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I take issue with how you've phrased your question and then used Creed as the yardstick of niche.

It could just as easily validly have been written as,
    "Which designer fragrances are bad enough to be niche (Creed and MPG excepted)."
    Renato
    You can substitute any niche house for Creed, it was just used as an example of a niche house. Creed is not my favorite house, by far. However, I do feel that Lalique men's fragrance share a common thread with those of Creed. Sorry, if my simple, yet loaded, question offend you.

I'm relieved that my blind buy of LPHE about a month ago was not in vain. It sounded, from some of the reviews, like something I've been on the look-out for.

I think I would classify much of what comes from the house of Hermès as niche-like - particularly Terre D'Hermes. The first time I tested it on my wrist, I associated to L'Artisan's Timbuktu somehow. Hermès, as I understand it, has been around quite awhile but seems to have been moving in a "niche" direction. They don't even sell Hermès here in Norway anymore! That's a dead give-away that its going "niche"!

Ohh, excuse me Mostapha, I apparently hopped over some of the posts!
    Last edited by Delmar; 13th May 2008 at 01:26 PM.

You can substitute any niche house for Creed, it was just used as an example of a niche house. Creed is not my favorite house, by far. However, I do feel that Lalique men's fragrance share a common thread with those of Creed. Sorry, if my simple, yet loaded, question offend you.
    Not offended at all.

It's just that three quarters of niche scents I've smelled are short lasting, feminish, pot pourris of rawish components that I'd only consider buying out of idle curiosity if they were going dirt cheap. I don't consider that to typically be the case with designer scents.

Except that today it I finally tried Encre Noir, and come to think of it, it did have some rawish type notes about it, reminiscent of some niche scents.
    Renato

I don't accept the unspoken premise of the title thread that niche fragrances are intrinsically or even necessarily better than designer fragrances. BTW Ruggles, I am not assuming that you accept the said premise. I am very glad to hear that you like Lalique Pour Homme Equus. It's one of my all time favorites. A slight correction: Maurice Roucel is responsible for the original Lalique Pour Homme (Lion). Emilie (Bevierre) Coppermann is responsible for the Equus flanker, which is hardly a flanker. I like Equus in both EDT and EDP formulations.

Here are 52 designer fragrances--there are many more--that many niche fragrances would want to be when they grow up:

1. Aramis 900 Herbal EDC
    Balenciaga Pour Homme
    Balenciaga Ho Hang (vintage formulation)
    Boucheron Pour Homme EDP
    Cacharel Pour L’Homme (vintage formulation)
    Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    Chanel Égoïste EDT (vintage formulation)
    Dior Homme Cologne
    Dior Homme EDT
    Givenchy Gentleman (vintage formulation)
    Givenchy Insensé
    Guerlain Derby (original vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC (original vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Héritage EDP (original vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Héritage EDT (original vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Vetiver EDC (original vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Vetiver EDT (original vintage formulation)
    Hermès Bel Ami (vintage formulation)
    Jacomo Ambro de Jacomo
    Jean Patou Lacoste Eau de Sport
    Jean Patou Lacoste Eau de Toilette
    Jean Patou Patou Pour Homme
    Jean Patou Patou Pour Homme Prive
    Kanebo Goce EDC
    Kenzo Time for Peace Pour Lui
    Lancôme Sagamore (1985 vintage formulation)
    Lancôme Sagamore (2005 rerelease anniversary formulation)
    Léonard Pour Homme
    Loewe Pour Homme (vintage formulation)
    Lolita Lempicka au Macsculin
    Marc Jacobs Men
    Molyneux Captain Molyneux (vintage formulation)
    Montana Parfum d’Homme (vintage formulation)
    Nina Ricci Ricci Club (vintage formulation)
    Nina Ricci Ricci Club Pour Homme EDT Haute Concentration (vintage formulation)
    Nina Ricci Signoricci (re-released, slightly reformulated version of Signoricci 2)
    Nina Ricci Signoricci 2 (1976 vintage formulation)
    Nino Cerruti Nino Cerruti Pour Homme
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui (vintage formulation)
    Paco Rabanne Ténéré
    Parfums Celine Celine Pour Homme EDP
    Parfums Celine Celine Pour Homme EDT
    Rochas Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (not Eau de Rochas Homme)
    Rodier Gourmandise de Rodier
    Thierry Mugler A*Men
    Tiffany for Men
    Ungaro Pour L’Homme I
    Ungaro Pour L’Homme III (vintage formulation)
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (original vintage formulation)
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme Concentrated Cologne
    YSL Kouros
    YSL Live Jazz
    Last edited by scentemental; 13th May 2008 at 03:42 PM.

Zino
    Vendetta

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I'd say Burberry London, maybe because it's one of my favourite non-niche scent.

There are hundreds when you include the women's stuff.

What's worse, two of the most popular niche houses discussed on Basenotes (* * * * * & * * * * * * *) don't even make real perfumes.
    Last edited by pluran; 10th September 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    There are hundreds when you include women's stuff.
    Make that thousands

What's worse, two of the most popular niche houses (* * * * * & * * * * * * *) discussed on Basenotes don't even make real perfumes.
    Euhm, Creed + Montale?
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Encre Noire, Chanel Egoiste' and Baldessarini Series... as good as Niche.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

What's worse, two of the most popular niche houses discussed on Basenotes (* * * * * & * * * * * * *) don't even make real perfumes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Euhm, Creed + Montale?
    As much as I dislike Creed, I must agree with Montale not being "real perfumes"... but that's based off one sniff of White Musk which the scent was non-existent. TOtally turned me off from the house.

Non-niche that's quirky as a niche fragrance I'd have to say Dior's Eau Sauvage,

Great list, Scentemental. Enough there to remind folks to think first of quality fragrances, instead of being overly influenced by the somewhat artificial divide between "designer" and "niche" fragrances.

Should Domenico Caraceni be added to the list?
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

I think this whole 'niche' market sort of 'created' itself because at a certain point in time designer houses got caught up in marketing analysis, which caused them to play safe, instead of being creative (up till the mid 80's).

This must have been extremely frustrating for the 'noses' they used to hire and because of this a lot of them looked elsewhere. Hence the so called 'niche market'.

Well it's probably a bit more complicated than this, but you get the point.
    Last edited by Domingo; 13th May 2008 at 04:18 PM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I am not sure the niche houses were started by the Noses being dissatisfied, but the current niche phemonenon is probbaly a combination of:

1. Internet forums and other means bypassing marketing "control" (word of mouth getting stronger)
    2. A growing minority of customers not liking the drab product of many of the big houses (bland product)
    3. The big houses turning more and more of their design and production to the big 6 (outsourcing to non captive suppliers)
    4. Lots and lots of design houses not previously associated with fragrance, getting into the game due to the big 6 having "noses for hire" (non captive suppliers)
    5. Relatively high profit margins associated with fragrance sales (if you already have distribution)

I mean, realistically, if you have a pocketbook and marketing plan, you could hire one of the 6 big firms to do a fragrance for you. You would not have to have anything but cash, a vision, and marketing plan these days.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 13th May 2008 at 04:42 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Regarding what is niche and what is designer, you used to be able to differentiate by pricepoint. Now with so many "designers" coming out with "exclusives" and "limited editions", that line has evaporated. At the end of the day, you should wear what you like and can afford.

That said, I underpaid for the following:

- Dior Homme
    - Versace Dreamer
    - Gucci PH
    - Gucci Rush for Men
    - Obsession for Men
    - Lalique Equus EdP
    - YSL M7
    - YSL Opium EdP PH & D'Orient PH
    - YSL Rive Gauche PH
    - Chanel Antaeus
    - Chanel Egoiste
    - Cartier Must PH Essence
    - Davidoff Zino
    - Helmut Lang Cuiron
    - Dunhill Edition

Many of these were massive failures with the general public. Their loss is my gain.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Salvatore Ferragamo PH
    Tumulte
    YSL M7, Live Jazz, Rive Gauche, M7 Fresh, Kouros, Opium - all versions.
    Rochas Lui
    Gucci Envy and PH
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin
    Bulgari Black
    Fahrenheit
    Black Cachmere
    Ungaro III
    L'Eau Bleu d'Issey
    Le Feu D'Issey
    Yohji

Baldessarini EdC
    Givenchy Xeryus Rouge
    Gucci PH I
    Issey Miyake L`eau Bleu D`Issey
    Lancome Miracle, L`Aquatonic & Hypnose
    Loewe Solo
    Ralph Lauren Polo (Green)
    Terre D`Hermes
    Thierry Mugler A*Men, Cologne
    Viktor & Rolf Antidote
    YSL M7, Rive Gauche Pour Homme & Opium
    Yohji Yamamoto Homme & Pour Homme
    My current Fall-Winter rotation: Baldessarini EdC - Canali Men - Dior Homme Sport - Gucci PH I - Guerlain Homme - Issey Miyake L`Eau D`Issey PH Intense - Lalique Encre Noir - Loewe Solo - Terre d`Hermes - YSL Rive Gauche PH

Aramis - Havana
    Aramis - Havana Reserva
    Montana Parfum D'Homme (red box)
    Michael Kors - Michael for Men

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    [/COLOR] [/LEFT]

1. Aramis 900 Herbal EDC
    Balenciaga Pour Homme
    Balenciaga Ho Hang (vintage formulation)
    Boucheron Pour Homme EDP
    Cacharel Pour L’Homme (vintage formulation)
    Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    Chanel Égoïste EDT (vintage formulation)
    Dior Homme Cologne
    Dior Homme EDT
    Givenchy Gentleman (vintage formulation)
    Givenchy Insensé
    Guerlain Derby (original vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDC (original vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Héritage EDP (original vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Héritage EDT (original vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Vetiver EDC (original vintage formulation)
    Guerlain Vetiver EDT (original vintage formulation)
    Hermès Bel Ami (vintage formulation)
    Jacomo Ambro de Jacomo
    Jean Patou Lacoste Eau de Sport
    Jean Patou Lacoste Eau de Toilette
    Jean Patou Patou Pour Homme
    Jean Patou Patou Pour Homme Prive
    Kanebo Goce EDC
    Kenzo Time for Peace Pour Lui
    Lancôme Sagamore (1985 vintage formulation)
    Lancôme Sagamore (2005 rerelease anniversary formulation)
    Léonard Pour Homme
    Loewe Pour Homme (vintage formulation)
    Lolita Lempicka au Macsculin
    Marc Jacobs Men
    Molyneux Captain Molyneux (vintage formulation)
    Montana Parfum d’Homme (vintage formulation)
    Nina Ricci Ricci Club (vintage formulation)
    Nina Ricci Ricci Club Pour Homme EDT Haute Concentration (vintage formulation)
    Nina Ricci Signoricci (re-released, slightly reformulated version of Signoricci 2)
    Nina Ricci Signoricci 2 (1976 vintage formulation)
    Nino Cerruti Nino Cerruti Pour Homme
    Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui (vintage formulation)
    Paco Rabanne Ténéré
    Parfums Celine Celine Pour Homme EDP
    Rochas Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (not Eau de Rochas Homme)
    Rodier Gourmandise de Rodier
    Thierry Mugler A*Men
    Tiffany for Men
    Ungaro Pour L’Homme I
    Ungaro Pour L’Homme III (vintage formulation)
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme (original vintage formulation)
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme Concentrated Cologne
    YSL Kouros
    YSL Live Jazz
    [/CENTER]
    great list...!

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post
    [/COLOR] [/LEFT]

41. [/B]Parfums Celine Celine Pour Homme EDP
    Rochas Eau de Rochas Pour Homme (not Eau de Rochas Homme)[B]
    [/CENTER]
    May I ask: is there Celine PH EDP? And what is Rochas Eau de Rochas PH and how it is different from Eau De Rochas Homme?

One of my favorites is Aigner PH - truly a wonderful fragrance that is very sophisticated and shows a lot of depth.

I also agree with many of the ones listed above (and multiple times!), but in case I missed it (or others missed it) Escada PH edp could easily be considered "niche" in these days.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

I'm glad that this thread lived beyond its poorly worded tag line. Scentemental, I was thrilled by your list! If there ever is a Basenotes Genius Bar your avatar will be hanging high above it.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 14th May 2008 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder
    Was amazed at that one! Sent it as a mother's day gift to my mom who absolutely was over the moon for it!
    ===

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    As much as I dislike Creed, I must agree with Montale not being "real perfumes"... but that's based off one sniff of White Musk which the scent was non-existent. TOtally turned me off from the house.

Non-niche that's quirky as a niche fragrance I'd have to say Dior's Eau Sauvage,
    YOu cannot base the opinion of a a house on just one perfume. White Musk is definitelly very different from the rest of the perfumes of their line.

I wore Armani Code last night, and the dry down was pretty amazing. I'd say that was niche-worthy.

PawelL

Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men
    Animale Animale

Blog Entries

If Le Male was in a Creed bottle, itd be considered fantastic

and honestly id say the same for ADG. yes, ADG.

i swear its all about names. someone says Creed and its like it automatically is good
    Last edited by Neurosis; 4th June 2010 at 10:45 PM.

Niche frags are in no way superior to designer, in fact it is probably the opposite. Niche doesn't mean good or elite or quality: it means the producer doesn't have the market power to get his goods on shelves. Sorry, but that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    If Le Male was in a Creed bottle, itd be considered fantastic

and honestly id say the same for ADG. yes, ADG.

i swear its all about names. someone says Creed and its like it automatically is good
    lol

Creed = Marketing BS
    For Sale or Swap: Terre D'Hermes

DIOR HOMME I been saying this.....
    Im the be$t @ thi$

From my collection I would choose Boss Bottled and Horizon by Guy Laroche. I think these two wonderful scents will always be in my collection.

Very impressive lists here guys. Good work.

I agree with most of the lists here. One I might add: YSL Body Kouros. It strikes me as Chergui's slutty little brother.
    Last edited by mrcologneguy; 4th June 2010 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcan View Post
    Niche frags are in no way superior to designer, in fact it is probably the opposite. Niche doesn't mean good or elite or quality: it means the producer doesn't have the market power to get his goods on shelves. Sorry, but that's it.
    I knew this thread, that I started over 2 years ago, would come back to haunt me. I had to change the title. Sorry about the topics implied value judgment.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th June 2010 at 04:29 PM.