Code of Conduct

Default Montaigne by Caron - your opinions, please.

Montaigne has me confused. When I've sampled at the dept store, it has smelled at one time uninteresting, another time it smelled awful - like it was "off".

Tonight I have a fresh EDP sample and a sample of body lotion and have applied both (lotion then EDP) and it is exquisite. I think I smell jasmine and vanilla, possibly sandalwood or something kind of powdery, maybe a tiny bit of heliotrope, possibly amber; sorry, I'm not great with identifying notes. The overall effect has become quite soft and sophisticated, but with a hint of perkiness (?bergamot? some other fruit?). It's subtle and that surprises me coming from Caron, where scents tend to the bold side.

Are any of you familiar with Montaigne? Do you wear a certain formulation?

I may have sampled the EDT previously, I don't know. But the EDP smells softer to me; also, this is the reformulated version. Perhaps I just need to wear the body lotion in this one.

Default Re: Montaigne by Caron - your opinions, please.

I never was a fan of the original 1986 Montaigne edt but still it could have been something I would have kept if it had been a gift. Last Christmas I was given the new edp version samples along with the lotion but as soon as I tried it I already wanted to wash it off and don 't ask me to discern the notes because to me this was such a sickly sweet headache-inducing floral!

I saw the new EDP version. I tried it. I thought it would work on me and so I bought it. Now my mother-in-law has it. I couldn't bear it: very feminine, too floral, too sweet, too much of everything I think I'm not. Maybe you'll love it. I hope so.

Those were my first impressions when I tried in the dept store - quite nasty and overbearing. I may just wear the lotion around for a few days and see how that goes. Thanks for the feedback.

I have a bottle of Montaigne edt purchased at the now gone boutique in NYC. Heavenly floral with bitter orange and sandalwood. I have no idea what the new formula is like, but this bottle is a beauty and I wish I'd bought more.

I still have my original bottle from when it was first released, and purchased it at the boutique. I only purchased it because it was from Caron. I did not like it then, as much as I tried, and I do not like it now. I will definitely be selling this when I do my huge, cathartic, fragrance sale next month.
    The humorous thing is; to view all the notes, I should love this scent, but do not.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

orange! that's what the fruit note is! thank you.

I applied the lotion and some EDP this morning; it's so subtle I can't figure out what's going on here.

Brielle - what bothers you about the original? Have you tried the reformulation yet?

Wink Re: Montaigne by Caron - your opinions, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I still have my original bottle from when it was first released, and purchased it at the boutique. I only purchased it because it was from Caron. I did not like it then, as much as I tried, and I do not like it now. I will definitely be selling this when I do my huge, cathartic, fragrance sale next month.
    The humorous thing is; to view all the notes, I should love this scent, but do not.
    And I am looking forward to your fragrance sale! I am really loving the Montaigne today. Perhaps the warmth is bringing out the floral notes for me but today it seems like the mimosa note is more prominent and that the whole effect is that of a fresher version of Farnesiana.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    Brielle - what bothers you about the original? Have you tried the reformulation yet?
    I find it to be very harsh, and pungent on me. I have not tried the reformulation, and had not even thought of it. The scent left me very leery of having too much more contact with it

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    And I am looking forward to your fragrance sale! I am really loving the Montaigne today. Perhaps the warmth is bringing out the floral notes for me but today it seems like the mimosa note is more prominent and that the whole effect is that of a fresher version of Farnesiana.
    I will definitely keep you posted about the sale, the Montaigne is pretty much still full.
    It is funny, I love Farnesiana, and have it in different concentrations, but never took to Montaigne. Go figure

I do like (not love) Montaigne. I remember when I tested Infini on one wrist, and Montaigne EdT on the other.
    Funny, but I thought they very rather similar, at least when it comes to the top/mid notes...
    Montaigne "won" the little competition, though, mostly because it seemed richer and a tad warmer.

RE: Farnesiana comparison, I also thought I smelled some heliotrope type note in the current Mont. formulation early on, but that has settled down. Farnesiana urn scent does smell strongly heliotrope on me - a note I like - and I don't get that much of it from this Montaigne EDP sample. This current Mont. sample does not resemble Infini on me, a scent I'm fairly familiar with.

Pungent and harsh is a great description of my previous interactions with Montaigne as well. I really cannot figure out why I'm getting such a different smell today from this EDP and lotion. I thought I was smelling the reformulation at the dept store, but I'm thinking now it was the older version - and perhaps an "old" older version, if you know what I mean (scent went off). In fact, when testing this sample last night, I was bracing myself for the worst, but that hasn't been the case. It's rather lovely, but really subtle.

I prefer the older EDT & parfum. It's BIG and it's LOUD but that is part of it's charm.
    I bought a small bottle of the new EDP and after a spritz or two I sold it off. It was a castrated version and I didn't care for it.
    Last edited by tinker424; 13th May 2008 at 10:04 PM.

I LUV Montaigne. It's the EDP and a gift from Musse . I don't know it's provenance (she passed her own bottle along to me and didn't mention its vintage) but I am thinking -ONE MORE TIME - that the loss of estrogen is one of the many advantages of old(er) age. "Big" "loud" fragrances retreat to their corners, cowed and obedient. On me the jasmine and roses and mimosa are calmed down and allow the spices and amber9?) to shimmer fetchingly. It's a compliment getter, for sure!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Hello ladies!
    Sorry couldn't resist a Caron thread. I noticed that Bois de Jasmin has a YouTube Caron commercial about the re-release (it's in French) and some of the notes you talk about are actually mentioned (i.e. mimosa, etc.).
    Hope that helps.
    RM

A Caron perfume commercial? I need to see it.

Taolady - very good point about the estrogen - it could be a significant factor in the discrepant opinions and experiences.

The sandalwood was just too much - had the new version EDP on for an entire day and evening and I've decided it's just not for me. The lotion is nice, though. That's my preferred form for this scent.