Code of Conduct

Default LT is right. Gardenia does have a mushroom note.

Ever in search of the perfect gardenia, I sent away for a sample of Tom Ford Velvet Gardenia, which Perfumes The Guide rates as a "true" gardenia. It is a great gardenia, by the way - very true to the living blossom - and has shot to the top of my short list of perfect gardenias (actually it shares top spot with the thefragranceshop.com's dupe of Jungle Gardenia). Anyway, in his review of Velvet Gardenia, Luca Turin said that a perfumer friend of his pointed out that gardenia has a mushroom note. And it's true, it does. I never noticed that before but a true gardenia scent has a huge soft note of earthy mushroom. I think the truffle note in Black Orchid is great, and I wonder if the mushroom note of a gardenia inspired it.

Default Re: LT is right. Gardenia does have a mushroom note.

That's true, now that I think about it, thanks for pointing it out. I like those earthy type notes. Do you know who the perfumer was for the Tom Ford frags?

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    That's true, now that I think about it, thanks for pointing it out. I like those earthy type notes. Do you know who the perfumer was for the Tom Ford frags?
    No, I don't know. I don't know if there was one for all of them, or several. Must go research that, it would be nice to know.

I think so, too. It gives a different perspective to know who created what.

The Black Orchid smells wonderful on an acquaintance of mine, although it's not something I'd typically consider wearing myself. The bottle is beautiful, IMO (the black one).

I couldn't find any info about the individual creator(s) of this line.\

I love Black Orchid. I would never have imagined this type of scent would be for me, but the first time I wore it was for a very nice dinner with my husband in a dim restaurant, so now I think of it as a dinner-date scent - a special occasion fragrance. I love its gourmand/spicy quality - it goes great with dinner!

Basenotes Institution

Velvet Gardenia was created by David Apel (who also did Unforgivable [men & women's] by Sean John as well as Black Orchid Voile de Fleur by Tom Ford and a few other scents by Ralph Lauren and Bond No. 9).

Yes, VG is extremely reminiscent of that tangy vegetable note - I remember calling it 'blue cheese' in my review. I have a gardenia bush in my front yard and in the warm Summer nights we experience here in Miami, when the bush is in full bloom at night the scent is quite 'dirty'. When I tested VG I was a little afraid of wearing such a BIG FLORAL - but now that my threshold for white florals has been raised I have been considering adding VG to my wardrobe. Then Turin gave it such a glowing review in The Guide. Now I'm even more psyched about owning it. I also love Black Orchid - but I think VG and BO couldn't be more different.

BTW - if you get a chance, please smell Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia by Estee Lauder also. The parfum version (not the EdT on Lauder counters) is highly indolic and perhaps captures even more so than VG that mysterious and natural 'gardenia' note in nature. It's extremely expensive but I imagine just a dab is all you need.

Finally - we mentioned all of the noses for Tom Ford Private Blends in this thread here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=203763
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 15th May 2008 at 10:15 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Mike, thanks so much for the info and the link! I will definitely try the EL parfum as soon as I get the opportunity. I love those huge potent indolic white florals. I think that Velvet Gardenia and Black Orchid are only similar in that they both have the mushroom (or truffle) note. Actually, Velvet Gardenia also reminds me of a gardenia candle that I bought in the Illuminations candle shop at the Town Center Mall in Boca Raton. That candle smelled very gardenia-like and scented an entire room without being lit. You're lucky to be where you can have the living plant - there is nothing in the world like that scent. :-)

I agree. Gardenia smells like candied orange peel + raw champignon.
    http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=URETJ3JnfOU

White and Red. White - smell of mosses, velvety petals of butterfly-orchids, murmurs of streams, rustles of weird consonants. Red - polish people, envy, jealousy, god-avenger, red paint on my door.

Quote Originally Posted by melancholic-botanist View Post
    I agree. Gardenia smells like candied orange peel + raw champignon.
    Hmm...candied orange peel. I'll have to sniff again, but I think I can see that.