Code of Conduct

Default My big day of sampling: Kouros, etc.

Three hours into Kouros (below the knee application, fortunately), and I can vouch for the urinal cakes thing. One thing I learned that is very important is that several of the guys who have posted reviews here are "power frag" people, meaning they thing it's got to be overpowering to be good. They like Le Roy de Soleil, Kouros, Ungaro III, Sexual by Germain (though I think this one is the best blended and least nasty of the bunch), etc., all of which are beyond my powers of frag tolerance. So it's like there are at least two different kinds of guys that you need to write a review for. Other observations:

Tuscany had a synthetic spiciness that I detested. Pi and Jaipur were okay but nothing I'd spend big money on. DKNY Red Delicious got center stage: three sprays to the upper chest. Very boozy at first, with spices, etc., then not much of anything about an hour or so later. Very Irresistible is not bad, but I've got Animale Animale and prefer that over VI. Pasha was sprayed on my left sleeve and didn't impress, but was not offensive. Must by Cartier was on my right sleeve, and there's an odd note in there that is just a bit too irritating. At first I thought I might like it, but it doesn't go anywhere and eventually becomes unpleasant, though not to a major degree (only one spray to a sleeve, so consider that). I sprayed sampler paper with about 8 other frags that I had some interest in, but none impressed me as special. Obviously, when you try to do a lot of sampling in a small period of time, you can't take it too seriously, but at least it confirmed my newfound attraction to gourmand frags.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My big day of sampling: Kouros, etc.

Kouros, lightly applied, isn't nearly the monster it is is applied in normal doses, though it really IS a power frag.

And the menthol top note is that "urinal cake" thing since many were scented with mint and menthol in the day.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Kouros <snap> urinal cakes..
    You know, I keep reading this over and over, and it only makes me smile.

Ask yourself, in all honesty, are you REALLY experiencing this, or are you only repeating what others have said before you?

You should learn to smell more, and think less. Specially about what others write and think. You know what I'm saying...?
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that you had the opportunity to sample a lot of fragrances.

That is the best, and least expensive, way to determine what you like and what you don't.

Hopefully, you came home with a bunch of samples for the same fragrances so that you can try them separately and at your own pace.

We share a common passion but we all have different preferences. As someone you would call a "power frag" person, I beg to differ with your assessment of us.

I certainly do not feel the need to be overpowering. People do not fall over when I enter or exit a room. Excessive sillage bothers me as much as it does the next person. I try not to encroach on anyone's space. Someone has to be standing very close to me in order to detect any of the fragrances that I wear.

----------------------------------------------------

I had never heard of Le Roy de Soleil or Sexual by Germain but, based upon your non-recommendation, I will have to check them out! Thanks!
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 14th May 2008 at 10:23 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Actually, I'm about as open-minded when it comes to frags as is possible. I write off some of them, but I keep coming back to make sure I don't like them, and try to figure out why. I had trouble believing that there could be that "urinal cakes" smell, actually. Turin's description in his new book is about the same as mine would be (if I knew what Gomina was and knew what old dandified colognes smelled like LOL). Even if it developed into something interesting (which it has not, more than 5 hours after one spray to the leg), it would be too powerful anyway. I was hoping for something earthy, perhaps with some cumin, but it's very medicinal or chemical, and not what I expected. I don't mind wearing Carlo Corinto once in a while (leather and dark amber), but I really laugh at the thought that guys would spray Kouros on themselves, even if they got it for free! I don't sweat much, so maybe it mixes well with sweat; that's the only thing that might save this power/chemical frag (IMO, obviously).

I'll also mention that I've tried Vermeil and Ungaro II, and while they are not my cup of tea right now, I used to like Vermeil a lot. It also has that clean/dirty thing going on, but there's a great richness to it (including a nice tangyness), as opposed to the overpowering singularity (the black hole of men's frags?) of Kouros.

I didn't like Kouros at first... my problem was the method of application. I've always sprayed one blast to each wrist, pressed them together, and the two to the chest and one to the neck and one to the back of the neck.

Kouros... it almost killed me and it stunk.

But now I learned the way to do it: I spray it from a distance away from my chest and walk into it. I also spray to my arms at a far distance (1/2 meter) - yes each arm. But that's all! And I have to say I love it now... It's a fragrance, when sprayed correctly, has received many compliments, and enjoy it very much even on myself.

I you haven't tried minimalistic spraying... try it before you give up!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    You know, I keep reading this over and over, and it only makes me smile.

Ask yourself, in all honesty, are you REALLY experiencing this, or are you only repeating what others have said before you?

You should learn to smell more, and think less. Specially about what others write and think. You know what I'm saying...?
    I am 100% convinced that I smell a urinal (cake and all) when I smell Kouros. I am also 100% certain that if I had never read a single review of it, I would still come to the same conclusion.

I do not let what others write influence my opinion -- case in point, I saw "Speed Racer" this past weekend and loved it.

Cool Re: My big day of sampling: Kouros, etc.

O well, whatever. Have your cake and eat it too.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Based on the fact that I love Live Jazz, i figured i would give some others from YSL a shot. I tried Kouros a few days back, and I have to say that I would probably love it if I had never seen a urinal cake. I asked a few women what they thought and they loved it, denying it smelled like a urinal cake. Then, they asked me what exactly a urinal cake smelled like, since their sex has never been exposed to them... I then slapped my forehead and felt sort of stupid for a while.

Also, how does Ungaro 3 end up classified with the ultra-powerful frags like Kouros?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Semi-related, I tried Kouros Cologne Sport on Sunday. It smells like a clean bathroom, but in a good way, which is weird. I tried a bunch of stuff that day and out of 4-5 spots I sprayed on myself at a local Ulta (I was bored and had time to kill before dinner at home), Kouros Cologne Sport was the only thing I liked.