Code of Conduct

Default Brut and Kouros: Twins separated at birth...

...one raised by a rich uncle while the other was sent to the worst orphanage in the country?

After sampling both now, the similarities are remarkable. Both are powerful, last a long time, and don't develop. Brut was like flavoring for a new, oddball candy that needs to be diluted for use. Kouros was like a concentrated disinfectant that needs to be diluted before using. The effect on the people around me (if I were to spray myself at least a few times) would be the same; they would hold their noses, leave the room, and tell me never to use either one again.

Seriously, in terms of olfactory experiences, what is the major difference? A candy-like scent that is overwhelming versus a disinfectant scent that is overwhelming? That's all I can detect, and after sampling around 100 frags over the last several months, I can say that I've yet to come across similar frags. Vermeil has the clean/dirty thing going on that Kouros does, but it's much more interesting, and settles down like most strong frags do. I've also tried Ungaro II, which is much more subtle and engaging (also clean/dirty). I like gourmands, and don't mind the syrupy, nearly medicinal start to Jacomo Rouge, but Brut is a brutal chemical candy.

Obviously, it's a matter of taste, but my point here is that these two frags are so similar, yet regarded as total opposites; Brut is for the thoughtless, Neanderthal "masses," while Kouros is for the frag aficionado who understand the most intricate, esoteric details of men's fragrances. If you like Kouros, why are you not rotating it with Brut? If I liked Kouros, I can't imagine not liking Brut. Or is there some justification for loving Kouros and hating Brut? If so, I'd really like to hear the explanation (assuming it's not just snobbery).

Blog Entries

Default Re: Brut and Kouros: Twins separated at birth...

except that Brut actually smells decent......Kuoros has a stale sort of old-person-on-laxatives-that-didn't-work-but-still-going-out-on-the-town aura to it.....

Brut 1
    Kuoros 0

Am I missing something? I would never have paired those two fragrances.

IMO, there is zero similarities between the two.

twins !! ..... I think his nose is burnt out

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

If you read the Perfumed: The Guide book reviews of these two frags, I think you'll be surprised. I do agree with everso in that if you used a very small amount of Brut (perhaps even diluted it first with perfumer's alcohol) it might be mildly pleasant as a change of pace. For those who don't understand my point, I ask you to take a step back and consider why you think this is a strange comparison. Is it that smelling like a urinal cake is "avant garde," whereas smelling like strange candy is too common? I'm just trying to understand frags as best I can. I have no horse in any race.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Am I missing something? I would never have paired those two fragrances.
    That's exactly what I was thinking too... Brut and Kouros similar? naa...

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    After sampling both now, the similarities are remarkable. Both are powerful, last a long time, and don't develop...
    Twins they are not, but as Fougères they share a remarkable number of characteristics of course, except being bold and going through interesting phases from start to finish. They certainly meet in three important middle notes (Patchouli, Jasmine and Vetiver). One ends mossy-powdery, and woody warm the other. Differences: Brut is sharper and drier, except towards the end. Kouros is more mellow all the way through, and ends as a leathery wood. They both have enough things going on to split them into half a dozen new colognes for little boys !
    Last edited by narcus; 15th May 2008 at 05:39 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Maybe GRAND HAIRY MUSK is similar in both?
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I find Brut more similar to Rive Gauche, cant say i detect any similarity between Kouros and Brut though.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

both are poles apart IMHO

btw....is their a release called "hairy brut"? tht cud be the culprit...

In the H&R charts, Brut is ambery fougere while Kouros is pretty close to it, nestled between the Woody Fougere and Ambery Fougere columns. So style wise, they are fairly similar though not in the exact same category.

What you fail to understand Bigsley, is that there once was a time when men wanted to smell like men, and the women wanted them to smell that way too. If you've smelled a 100 scents, the likelihood is that you've smelled mainly semi-feminised male scents - and erroneously think that's the way all masculine scents should be.

The notion that people would hold their noses and leave the room is fallacious. Try it and see. The notion that only Neanderthal types like Brut could be true - if you class people like me who owns 37 niche scents, as Neanderthal.

I love it. My only problem with it is that the EDT doesn't last long enough, so I often go for the very similar smelling but longer lasting, Fred Hayman Touch.
    Renato

P.S. - I really like Kouros too, but only in summer.
    Last edited by Renato; 15th May 2008 at 10:36 AM.

If you like Kouros, why are you not rotating it with Brut? If I liked Kouros, I can't imagine not liking Brut. Or is there some justification for loving Kouros and hating Brut? If so, I'd really like to hear the explanation (assuming it's not just snobbery).
    Perhaps it is the anise, the ylang-ylang or just that it is an uninteresting composition, but Brut holds no attraction to me. Brut, Paco Rabanne pour Homme and Drakkar Noir are the bottom feeders in my collection. Kouros, on the other hand, is in the top 10% of my collection.

Hopefully your nose will continue to develop to the point where you can appreciate both the significant and subtle differences between 'overwhelming' fragrances. Contrary to popular belief, there is not a separate familial classification of fragrances named 'overwhelming'.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 15th May 2008 at 11:53 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Perhaps it is the anise, the ylang-ylang or just that it is an uninteresting composition, but Brut holds no attraction to me. Brut, Paco Rabanne pour Homme and Drakkar Noir are the bottom feeders in my collection. Kouros, on the other hand, is in the top 10% of my collection.

Hopefully your nose will continue to develop to the point where you can appreciate both the significant and subtle differences between 'overwhelming' fragrances. Contrary to popular belief, there is not a separate familial classification of fragrances named 'overwhelming'.
    I must come to the defense of Paco Rabanne and say that it's many times superior to Kuoros in nearly every way.....don't really see any reason for it being a "bottom feeder"

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    I must come to the defense of Paco Rabanne and say that it's many times superior to Kuoros in nearly every way.....don't really see any reason for it being a "bottom feeder"
    I understand your sentiment - many other people share them. I have tried to love them. I keep them in my collection so that I can retry them periodically - hoping that my nose will eventually accept them.

Both Paco Rabanne and Drakkar Noir have been inducted into FiFi's Hall of Fame. Brut is a perennial contender for the mass-market Basenotes' Award.

I guess that is why there are more than twelve thousand fragrances. If we all liked the same things how drab life would be.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I also do not find those fragrances similar at all. How did you come up with that idea?

Well, whatever is "powering" these 2 frags is very similar. They are both one-dimensional, powerful, long-lasting, and can clear out a room (if the people I hang around with are any indication). One is a sickly, chemical candy smell and the other is a sickly, chemical disinfectant smell. That is the only difference !

I'll just add that I realize that some components might be different, of course, but that if there is a very strong, sickly smell that overpowers you, it's not really that important whether it's a weird candy smell or a disinfectant smell. If some people have a higher threshold for tolerating such strong smells, then I can see why he would consider there to be a significant difference. However, if you are being blinded with light, you really don't care if it's got one tint or another to it, do you? In this case, both of the scents have a sickly, chemical smell to me that is incredibly strong. Eight hours later and there is no development into anything more tolerable, different, or interesting. Perhaps these frags are for guys who sweat a lot (or perhaps the tolerability threshold varies tremendously from one person to another, though as I said, I will still wear Vermeil, Carlo Corinto, Francesco Smalto, Ungaro II, etc. once in a while, but I'll never go near Kouros again).

Seems to me the only thing they have in common, is the fact that they have almost nothing in common, except that they are both strong, and that you don't like them.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

After thinking this over quite bit (admittedly, more than I probably should have), I wrote up a review of Kouros for BN, and since it will take a while for approval, I'll post it on this thread now:

"I envision a futuristic world, like the bubble-domed one in Logan's Run, where Kouros is sold in a novelty store, situated between the rubber chicken and the fake vomit. Or perhaps it will be in a museum, and visitors will be able to actually get a whiff of it, if they dare! By that time, public restrooms will smell much better than they do now (in most nations).

Kouros is a powerful, long-lasting, sickly chemical scent that features no subtlety and no development (on my skin, at least). Keep in mind that I'm not some twenty-something aquatic guy. I like Vermeil, actually, which I'd recommend to anyone who likes this kind of frag over Kouros (it's got powerful animalic notes and also that "fake clean" quality). Or Ungaro II, if you can find it at a reasonable price. I also like Carlo Corinto once in a while, which features strong leather and dark amber notes.

I recently tried Brut (before trying Kouros) and that is similar, in that you get a strong, long-lasting sickly chemical scent that has no subtlety and doesn't develop. It's amazing that these two fragrances are on the opposite ends of the spectrum, in terms of price and prestige. I can only image that if you sweat profusely, somehow Kouros will develop into something that is remotely tolerable. I'd also warn you that this kind of fragrance can cause your sense of smell to change, as Sung Homme did to me. Now I have such sensitivity that I usually can only stand one spray of an EDT, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it saves me a lot of money, though I don't appreciate the stronger fragrances the way I used to (when I really liked Vermeil and had to wear it once a week)."

and the battle wages on.. no matter what...Kouros will always remain on top...to each own...

Keep in mind that I'm not some twenty-something aquatic guy. I like Vermeil, actually, which I'd recommend to anyone who likes this kind of frag over Kouros (it's got powerful animalic notes and also that "fake clean" quality)."
    I am sorry but I cannot resist asking - if you like Vermeil so much, why is it on your swap/sell list?

Now I have such sensitivity that I usually can only stand one spray of an EDT, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it saves me a lot of money, though I don't appreciate the stronger fragrances the way I used to (when I really liked Vermeil and had to wear it once a week)."
    Well, I hate to say this, but if some kind of hypersensitivity mode has striken you, all of your comments on scents are pretty much compromised. Presumably, if you revisit all the other scents you've previoulsy tested, you'd write as negative stuff about many of them as you are writing about these two.

One spray of EDT delivers about as much scent output as you'd get from applying say Gillette or Mennen aftershave balm, and significantly less output than what you'd get by applying Lynx or Old Spice underarm antiperspirant or deodorant. Quite frankly, why bother with fragrances if no one's going to notice you're wearing them, as most other guys will be smelling better than you, albeit with cheaper stuff?

I suggest you give them a rest for a while till this terrible affliction passess, and you get back to being your old fragrant self again.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Well, people do notice the EDTs I'm wearing now, so I don't think I'm that hypersensitive. It's really an interesting issue, one that I don't think Turin or any other expert has discussed in depth. As I said, I can still appreciate the "clean/dirty" Vermeil, which has nice blending (compared to Kouros), as well as an interesting tangyness, and does develop over time (unlike Kouros). Now one issue could be that I hardly sweat at all and frags develop on me (or just linger) in a similar way to when I spray on paper, and Kouros might not be designed for this. However, in my view, fragrances as "works or art" need to develop over time. "Foetidus" pointed out in one of his many, many reviews that when he writes up a review, he considers development for ratings purposes, yet it doesn't affect his enjoyment of the frag (if it doesn't develop over time). Thus, talking about Kouros as a "masterpiece" is puzzling to me, not because of the urinal cake thing, but because by any "artistic" standard I can think (in the world of frags) of the cheapo Vermeil is so much better (if we put the clean/dirty thing aside).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 16th May 2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling error

Well, people do notice the EDTs I'm wearing now, so I don't think I'm that hypersensitive. It's really an interesting issue, one that I don't think Turin or any other expert has discussed in depth. As I said, I can still appreciate the "clean/dirty" Vermeil, which has nice blending (compared to Kouros), as well as an interesting tangyness, and does develop over time (unlike Kouros). Now one issue could be that I hardly sweat at all and frags develop on me (or just linger) in a similar way to when I spray on paper, and Kouros might not be designed for this. However, in my view, fragrances as "works or art" need to develop over time. "Foetidus" pointed out in one of his many, many reviews that when he writes up a review, he considers development for ratings purposes, yet it doesn't affect his enjoyment of the frag (if it doesn't develop over time). Thus, talking about Kouros as a "masterpiece" is puzzling to me, not because of the urinal cake thing, but because by any "artistic" standard I can think (in the world of frags) of the cheapo Vermeil is so much better (if we put the clean/dirty thing aside).
    Well, you went from however many sprays you were using which you could stand to, in your words, not being able to stand more than one spray. Your sensitivity to scents must have changed - that's what the whole of your previous post said.

Consider this. Brut in its various forms (which are always strong) is worn by tens of millions of men around the world. Have you, prior to a couple of days ago, spent your entire life constantly been turning up your nose and going "Uhhgg" and leaving the room or vicinity when you came across someone wearing Brut? (This is something I've done to a lesser extent my entire life with Old Spice.) In my opinion, the answer is most probably no. Yet, a few days ago you discover Brut to be a loathsome scent, something which previously you had been oblivious to. I'd put it down to your sensitivity plainly having changed.

It is pointless applying the criteria of "development" for rating purposes, to scents that in the main were designed by the perfumer to be relatively linear. Bvlgari Black is the classic example, with what you spray on being what you get for the rest of the day. The same is pretty much the case for Art of Shaving Lemon. Azzaro Chrome and Azzaro Pure Vetiver are also both pretty close to being linear. True, a lot of the cheaper scents (like many De Varens ones) often are very linear - for cost cutting purposes. But that doesn't mean you can't have an excellently crafted, quality linear scent where what you get for the rest of the day, is exactly what you tested and which you think is really good.
    Renato

The type of musk they use in the OLD Brut (I don't know, but before 1970 at least) is one of the best synthetic musks EVER made!
    Well, as far as smell goes, it could be poisonous as hell, you never know with stuff from that era...

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    and the battle wages on.. no matter what...Kouros will always remain on top...to each own...
    In the world of frags it will still be the King of Controversy well into the next century !

SALES

An old post... but Brut was the first fragrance I really consciously chose. I grew up with Old Spice but since it was bought out by Proctor and Gamble several years ago the brand has been declining, until, the horror, they finally decided to reformulate and make it cheaper. I started wearing Brut about three years ago, and two years ago I got seriously into trying new fragrances.

Brut is not a disgusting fragrance and not overly sweet. If it smells that way to you, you are wearing too much. I haven't tried Kouros, but plant to do so soon... but I'd be surprised if they smelled the same. Brut has definite notes of vetiver, jasmine, musk, sandalwood, tonquin, and ylang ylang, not candy, to my nose. I've tried the Faberge and the Helen of Troy versions, and to my noses they are both very similar, if not identical. Perhaps the vetiver in the Helen of Troy version is slightly different but its so subtle it could honestly be nothing.

Even though Brut is a mass-market fragrance it really isn't cheap smelling at all and I've gotten compliments wearing it. It is also uniquely American and was created by a "nose" named Ed Silkin who has an interesting story for his life and it was obvious the fragrance was created with alot of care and passion. I definitely think Brut is a classic.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 29th June 2008 at 12:38 PM.

Brut is greener, it contains more vetiver, more oakmoss and more spices to me.
    Kouros is quite sexual with a strong urine/musk note.

Both are very nice but Brut is easier to wear.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Nothing makes me think these are alike.

They,,, can clear out a room (if the people I hang around with are any indication).
    This has never happened to me with Kouros. When I wear it, women tell me I smell sexy and a couple of guys I know now use it because I introduced them to it. Maybe it really just doesn't smell good on you. It's possible it doesn't mix well with your body chemistry.

I haven't worn Brut in years. I don't remember it being a bad scent, I just currently prefer the (loosely) similar Rive Gauche pour homme.

I don't think Brut and Kouros are similar.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Kouros is the bastard child of Brut and Orange Spice.

Could one say that some of the notes in these two frags are presented with a lot of boldness or articulation (as compared to well-blended but high-quality designer frags)?

I'm new to this place and really am learning as I go so this whole comparison has me laughing and reading. I will say that Kouros, to me though, belongs with the high school fragrances I once wore..Polo, Drakkar, Grey Flannel, Obsession and Kouros. Either a gift or through my Dad they were the 80s high school ones for me. I just thought they were around but faded away. I'm learning much more here.. Its been awhile but Korous always smelled like powdery soap to me.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 30th June 2008 at 03:02 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Could one say that some of the notes in these two frags are presented with a lot of boldness or articulation (as compared to well-blended but high-quality designer frags)?
    Your not the sharpest knife in the draw are you Bigsly ?
    First of all you come accross as some Kouros expert but you haven't really worn it properly !!! all your posts & comments based on a spritz at a department store or wait ...... is it a little vial you have in your possesion ?
    Now your asking even more absurd questions that haven't got clearcut answers
    Go back a few posts and tell us why you have Vermeil in your swap list .

SALES

Just trying to learn. I never said I was some sort of frag expert, and I don't really trust such "experts" after reading "Perfumes: The Guide," to be honest. I sprayed Kouros once below the knee and it was like some sort of poison gas, so don't expect me to go near this stuff ever again. Not sure what the point about Vermeil is. I've said more than once that I experienced some sort of chemical sensitivity issue several weeks ago, so some frags are just too strong for me now. On the bright side, I seem to have developed much better olfactory sensitivity, so now I only need one spray for most frags (saving me money!).

I don't know why that's an absurd question, but I'll try to explain what I was getting at. My thought was that the perfumer may have put more of a certain ingredient in frags like Kouros, making it "jump out" at first, more so than what one finds with the top notes of most frags. Or are you arguing that Kouros is basically like other designer frags, but it's just got some unusual notes? Again, I'm just trying to learn, so I'm definitely not very "sharp" at this point in my frag understanding. I hope fellow BNers will be patient with me, as I pursue my investigation. I know that at times I'll ask some "stupid questions," but that's the way I learn. Don't babies make some mistakes? And don't we find those mistakes adorable?

just don't bring up the subject of Kouros hatred again .
    Its been done many times over the years as Narcus has said .
    In the time ive been here the haters are becoming fewer .
    I even ran a Poll on YSL frags and the big K was up there near the top or at the peak ?
    Good luck in getting your latest question & thoughts responded too .

SALES

Perhaps there is something in Kouros you aren't familiar with and your nose just grabs onto it and you are interpreting it negatively? The whole neuro-olfactory system in the brain isn't exactly linear and sometimes does crazy things. Sometimes our mind can play tricks on us and make us think what we are smelling is something else, when in fact we aren't. Especially if it's an unfamiliar scent. When I tried oud initially, it was a bit unnerving because the smell wasn't like anything I've smelled before, or something I hadn't smelled in a long time- the first thing that popped into my head was a hospital, antisepticly clean, coupled with a graveyard with vegetation everywhere. Some people smell gasoline in some fragrances, even though all they are smelling is a combination of musks, woods, and spices.

Just some general advice- never apply a large amount of fragrance until you are familiar with it- start low and gradually go upward. Also, don't sniff the area when you apply it, it will just confuse your nose/brain with too many smells, like potpouri. In addition, the top notes on some fragrances actually fade away fast, but if you smell them initially you'ld get the wrong impression about a fragrance- you'll smell alot of light, sharp molecules first and that could turn your nose off.
    Last edited by Magnulus; 1st July 2008 at 01:27 PM.

Cool Re: Brut and Kouros: Twins separated at birth...

Just trying to learn. I never said I was some sort of frag expert, and I don't really trust such "experts" after reading "Perfumes: The Guide," to be honest.
    Well, there we have it (again)!

Bigsley, your main issue is with Luca Turin (for God knows what reason), so why not at least be honest about it? Instead of opening all these sneaky topics about a fragrance you hardly know, don't care for and probably won't even smell more than once a year, at most!

Last edited by Domingo; 1st July 2008 at 01:51 PM.

"Bigsley, your main issue is with Luca Turin..."

I've said in other threads that I'm glad his book is in my hands, but of course there are issues a reasonable person can raise with it. I've also said that his review of Kouros is excellent, unlike some of the other reviews in the book. After reading his review, and having sampled the kind of frag he mentioned in that review, I had enough information to know that it was probably not for me, but since I could try it for free, I felt I owed it to myself and the BN community to do so. If I owned the rights to Kouros, and could sell it, I would do so, but I still wouldn't wear it because it is so offensive to my sense of smell. I thought the title of this thread was funny, but as I said, I realize how emotionally hurtful such titles can be now, and I do promise to try to be extremely clinical in my posts from now on.

If some want to question my intelligence, I will not object, but I won't do that to anyone else, because I am not that kind of person. As many say, "hate the sin but love the sinner." I don't hate LT or his book, and have learned a great deal from both his books, actually. However, I was trained to subject texts to intense scrutiny, and that is the way I am. I have made a pledge to the moderator to refrain from writing any posts that in any way might be considered provocative, and I intend to keep that pledge. I am trying to discuss the actual fragrance itself, as well as how others perceive it. I find it very interesting that many enjoy Kouros, even if I don't like it, and my questions are just an attempt to figure out what makes it (or any) fragrance appealing, or not, though because we are not face to face, it's certainly possible that some will "take things the wrong way." Interestingly, this is a criticism of LT too. Some people read things into his commentary, and of course it's impossible to know for sure if he meant things the way it sounded to those people.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st July 2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: error correction

Kouros is a well blended and high quality designer fragrance. Yes it is bold but it is not one dimensional or low-quality. Also I don't see the similarity with Brut except that you hate them both.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I didn't mean to suggest that Kouros was low quality. Rather, I wanted someone to compare it to something like Polo Double Black, which I perceive as high quality, well blended, and without any one note or accord being very strong. I am surprised to hear that Kouros is well blended. I suspected that one note or accord was given great prominence. Is it that Kouros uses a lot more aldehydes than something like Polo Double Black?
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st July 2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: correction