Code of Conduct

Default Rochas - Anything else worthwhile beyond Man & Lui?

Rochas seems to have given up on the US market so it's hard to test out their frags even though they can be had very cheaply online. Rochas Man & Lui are beautiful scents with great longevity and are reasonably priced. I'm looking to explore the rest of their line blindly. Can anyone make some suggestions as what is worth getting?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Rochas - Anything else worthwhile beyond Man & Lui?

I like Eau de Rochas Homme.

I know some people like Moustache, but I haven't tried it.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 25th June 2008 at 03:09 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Désir de Rochas pour Homme is a nice one too. A bit sweeter than I usually prefer, but at least it's not cloying. Not suitable for summer tho.

And then there is also Eau de Rochas Homme, a citrus scent which gets quite good reviews, but I haven't tried this myself because I understand there are several formulations of this one on the market, and I have no idea which is/are the good one(s)...
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Blog Entries

I like Moustache the best from this house. For some reason I couldn't warm up to Rochas Man.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

If you buy it, make sure you buy Eau de Rochas Pour Homme, and not Eau de Rochas Homme. The pour homme is the vintage version while homme is the reformulated one. You can read more about this in this thread.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=rochas

Perfume Emporium has the vintage formulation. (I bought the 1oz bottle)

I would love to try / own Macassar, but it is very hard to find in the US... I would like to try Desir, Moustache, & Globe as well...
    Last edited by KMF; 25th June 2008 at 03:49 AM.

If you are willing to be adventurous, Rochas Femme by Edmond Roudnitska, is quite an amazing cumin drenched oriental. Many men wear it.

Great underappreciated house. Lui was an exquisite rich scent blending freshness of hesperides with the noxious touch of oriental delight. Eau was an aromatic citrus with more body than most of its kin. Man was a multifaceted gourmand alternating layers and notes. Moustache and Maccassar were visionary fragrances way ahead of their time. I cant wait for Desir.

Cheers,
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    If you buy it, make sure you buy Eau de Rochas Pour Homme, and not Eau de Rochas Homme. The pour homme is the vintage version while homme is the reformulated one. You can read more about this in this thread.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...ghlight=rochas

Perfume Emporium has the vintage formulation. (I bought the 1oz bottle)

I would love to try / own Macassar, but it is very hard to find in the US... I would like to try Desir, Moustache, & Globe as well...
    Thanks, I hadn't known there was a difference.

My bottle has Eau de Rochas Homme written on it, and as far as I'm concerned it's the most stylish citrus out there. Longevity is about 5 to 6 hours on me, which is a couple of hours less than a standard scent.

I really like the green citrusy Globe too.

And I've nearly finished a bottle of Aquaman, so I must like it too - it's listed as aquatic in most places, but it seems like a woody-spicy one to me.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 25th June 2008 at 09:16 AM.

I second Desir as well. A really lovely fragrance, softly sweet and elegant. Slammed by LT in "The Guide", but given the number of really great frags also given 1 *, you can safely ignore that summation.

Desir a really nice evening fragrance. Distinctive, soft and just really nice to wear.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Apart from Lui, I've only tested Aquaman and it's a decent summery spicy frag.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Eau de Rochas (=pour femme) is a good one too. Homme is not bad, but the vintage pour homme smells significantly less "synthetic" and works better on me than the (very good) Creed Neroli Sauvage.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I second Desir as well. A really lovely fragrance, softly sweet and elegant. Slammed by LT in "The Guide", but given the number of really great frags also given 1 *, you can safely ignore that summation.

Desir a really nice evening fragrance. Distinctive, soft and just really nice to wear.
    I agree, and I find Desir works perfectly well in the Memphis heat as well. One of my happiest little finds this year.

Globe is my all time Rochas favorite, even over Man and Lui.
    (Damn pity that Rochas went off and discontinued it.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

aquaman is a great fresh scent has an eucalyptous opening and great drydown

Macassar by Rochas, one of their best for men IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Macassar by Rochas, one of their best for men IMO.
    Would you happen to know where it's sold?

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Would you happen to know where it's sold?
    I have some vintage 3.4 oz bottles of Macassar still sealed. It is by far my favorite Rochas and in my top 5. Contact me if you want more info.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!