Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford's Moss Breeches: *****

I gave it a try today and so far, it's a big WOW!!! An ever changing, mossy green/floral chypre with an adictive beeswax dry-down. Nice. Lasts and lasts. Anyone else out there into it?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th May 2008 at 10:18 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tom Ford's Moss Breeches: *****

I'd love to smell this. The notes sound wonderful. The trouble is, there's nowhere in San Francisco where I've been able to find it. Does anyone know if it's sniffable out here?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I was definitely "wowed" by MB when I received a decant from Gerald. I couldn't let the opportunity go by when Vivek organized a bottle split from London - so I have a stash on its way. I found it to be of a distinctive quality moving in beeswax / wood & moss territory - and does it ever last! Really nothing like it out there IMHO.

I'm glad MB has now been given its proper rating! (We won't mention ....., will we - hahaha)

And to think, i've got 75mls of the stufffff MWHAAHAHAHAHAH

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I'd love to smell this. The notes sound wonderful. The trouble is, there's nowhere in San Francisco where I've been able to find it. Does anyone know if it's sniffable out here?
    Saks SF has the entire collection of Tom Ford's Private Blends now.The main floor of the Women's Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    And to think, i've got 75mls of the stufffff MWHAAHAHAHAHAH
    Booo! May I ask if you could decant me a few (3 would be awesome) ML? Of course i will pay for shipping and if you want I got CB I hate perfume to trade with!

If you are intrested, or if you just feel to make me happy, please PM me!

Does anyone know who the nose is who created MB?
    Its sly take on the gourmand genre is very similar to the one used in Tobacco Vanille. They must have been created by the same person.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 15th May 2008 at 02:44 PM.

Is this similar at all to Absinth - Nasomatto?
    I am hearing chypre, but I am also hearing gourmand, and have heard spicy as well.
    Going to sniff it at Neiman Marcus this weekend in Dallas, the Barneys rep will be pissed that I am going over to NM
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 15th May 2008 at 03:01 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Does anyone know who the nose is who created MB?
    Its sly take on the gourmand genre is very similar to the one used in Tobacco Vanille. They must have been created by the same person.
    Stephen Nilsen supposedly is the nose who did Moss Breches. He did not do Tobacco Vanille, but he did that new Bond No. 9 Warhol scent, Union Square, as well as the new Tommy Hilfiger Dreaming also.

I have enjoyed my MB sample immensely since I received it.

IMO, Jock_with_scents - it is not a gourmand. It's a sweetened chypre - if that makes sense. I think the beeswax note works differently on different peoples skin. This is a scent I would not recommend buying blind.

I'm glad to see Moss Breches getting some love here on the boards.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

This sounds like my type of thing; I'm going to have to sample this!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I'm glad to see Moss Breches getting some love here on the boards.
    MIke, Do you know anyone who carries the Private Blends here in Miami? I thought Neiman's did but I was there last week and the SA didn't know what I was talking about. I was thinking of ordering samples from TPC but I have no patience.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    MIke, Do you know anyone who carries the Private Blends here in Miami? I thought Neiman's did but I was there last week and the SA didn't know what I was talking about. I was thinking of ordering samples from TPC but I have no patience.
    Futami - well, not in Miami (the Saks in Bal Harbour said 'soon' when I asked, but not yet) however if you don't mind driving the Saks Fifth Avenue in Palm Beach (172 Worth Avenue - 561-833-2551) has them in stock (I just spoke to Jody!)

Good luck!

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Saks SF has the entire collection of Tom Ford's Private Blends now.The main floor of the Women's Store.
    Thank you very much, Ruggles. I will try to get there soon to sniff some.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Yes, I love it. 5 star scent IMO as well. My 2nd favorite in the line (Tuscan Leather is just a little more versatile). I'm just dying to buy a bottle, but even if I get the funds for it, it's almost impossible to get a bottle because it's sold in very few retailers. I'll somehow find a way.

For me, it's like the roaming around a foggy forest right before the sun rises, smelling and feeling the dew and moss. It wears a bit sweet and I like it a lot, which is a surprise because I'm not generally a fan of green scents.

Funny this thread just came up because i bought a bottle of this last week. I am a Chypre scent lover and i really liked this one. Very unique in terms of Chypre scents go. Very green with a sweet background note. But dont think sweet in the sense of candied sweet but it is more of a honeyed sweetness that i have never smelled before. Very very unique and it does last forever.
    Last edited by cairomerta; 15th May 2008 at 09:55 PM.

Certainly one of the more versatile from the line, its considerable lighter and more wearable compared to its siblings and my favorite of the bunch. So many of the Private Collection scents far into the darkly ornate category that Black Orchid occupies. But there is something classic and clean about Moss Breaches which makes it a real standout!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Ok I'm sold. This sounds like it would be in my top ten.

Who's got a sample for me?!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Funny this thread just came up because i bought a bottle of this last week. I am a Chypre scent lover and i really liked this one. Very unique in terms of Chypre scents go. Very green with a sweet background note. But dont think sweet in the sense of candied sweet but it is more of a honeyed sweetness that i have never smelled before. Very very unique and it does last forever.
    That must be the beeswax. Very interested in this myself, fragrances with real beeswax are rare these days.

Who sells this in Europe?
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Unhappy Re: Tom Ford's Moss Breeches: *****

Well, the Perfumed Court sells it (of course), but 29 bucks for a 5ml decant + 10 for shipping is a bit insane I think...

OK, that's 'only' 25 euro, but still....
    Last edited by Domingo; 16th May 2008 at 02:37 AM.

if you don't mind driving the Saks Fifth Avenue in Palm Beach (172 Worth Avenue - 561-833-2551) has them in stock (I just spoke to Jody!)

Good luck!

Excellent! Thanks! I'll have to go up there soon. Sad thing is that I was just up in West Palm today. I could have stopped by.

Basenotes Institution

I put a few drops of MB on my wrists this morning, along with my SOTD - and MB really is excellent. There's this moment, about a couple of minutes after application, where the chypre notes (the moss...apparently) is modulated so nicely with the honeycomb accord. I walked out of my front door into a sunny, hot beautiful day and the combination of the two put a little Spring in my step.

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I went to Saks yesterday and smelled this. I ended up getting it. I smelled several of the other ones. My nose got very fatigued, so I had to quit. It was 97ºF (35ºC) outside, and even though the store was comfortably air-conditioned, I was suffering from having spent the day without climate control.

Which of the other Private Blend scents are the most promising? I have seen kudos to Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood, and Tuscan Leather; my curiosity was also piqued by Black Violet, Bois Rouge and Japan Noir. I stopped before sniffing Noir de Noir, but I'd like to check that one out, too.

Any wisdom on the others I mentioned?
    Last edited by JaimeB; 17th May 2008 at 05:57 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

I have Noir de Noir, oud wood, tuscan leather, moss breches and tobacco vanille. (What can i say, i loved them!!) Bois rouge is nice woody and citrusy but it doesn't last to long, Japan noir doesn't last at all and black violet is a sharp tangy black scent. Imagine along the lines of Black orchid. Definitely get oud wood. I get the most compliments off that one. Than I would say Tuscan Leather as it is an amazing leather scent that lasts for well over 12 hours on the skin. Enjoy because from what i hear, some of these will be discontinued and others will be added in their place.

I think Moss Breches is going to be my next decant purchase.

I would love to here more about Noir de Noir as well. That
    black truffle note really intrigues me.
    Last edited by ajmc; 16th May 2008 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    It was 97ºF (35ºC) outside, and even though the store was comfortably air-conditioned.
    Which of the other Private Blend scents are the most promising. I have seen kudos to Tobacco Vanille, Oud Wood, and Tuscan Leather; my curiosity was also piqued by Black Violet, Bois Rouge and Japan Noir. I stopped before sniffing Noir de Noir, but I'd like to check that one out, too.
    Any wisdom on the others I mentioned?
    I was in SF on Wednesday and I couldn't believe how hot it was.
    My favs after MB are:
    1 Oud Wood, A very Europeanized version of a Montale. Oud lite, oud done right!
    2 Black Violet, I'm not a violet fan, but this has a nice dark, incensey note.
    3 Tobacco Vanille, Love this one, but I think it would get boring quickly as it is what it is, a glorious pouch tobacco accord and nothing more.
    I think these beauties are over priced, though.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th May 2008 at 01:36 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thanks for the great comments and advice, guys!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

I'm doing splits of four private blends at the moment, unfortunately, i've already done Moss Breeches (Scentsual took 125ml, b94new 50ml, leaving me with 75ml ) But am accommodating and can do any others, as I like the bottles a lot, and don't mind having any of the scents (perhaps not Neroli Portofino, it's just EdP concentration of 4711)

I know, a bit of a shameless advertisement, but you can get your private blends for cheaper too
    Last edited by Vivek; 17th May 2008 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I'm doing splits of four private blends at the moment, unfortunately, i've already done Moss Breeches (Scentsual took 125ml, b94new 50ml, leaving me with 75ml ) But am accommodating and can do any others, as I like the bottles a lot, and don't mind having any of the scents (perhaps not Neroli Portofino, it's just EdP concentration of 4711)

I know, a bit of a shameless advertisement, but you can get your private blends for cheaper too
    Well I think that after this thread you might get a lot of requests for organizing another split of Moss Breeches. When you do, please PM me.

I live in the Netherlands, so shipping should not be much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Well I think that after this thread you might get a lot of requests for organizing another split of Moss Breeches. When you do, please PM me.

Haven't had anything, but if five people are in, I don't mind doing it EU is never a problem with shipping, neither is US really, just Canada and Asia.

I've noticed that BNer "submachine" who has a thread in the "Items for Sale" threads seems to be willing to do splits of both Le Labo and Tom Ford Private Blends (including MB). (At the moment I'm interested in Le Labo's Patchouli 24 and, living here in Norway, my chances are near zero to find these kinds of fragrances otherwise. I've previously obtained successfully Rose 31 through "submachine".) His "price" is the cost incurred divided by the number of people in on the split. Otherwise, and I'd agree with Mike, I wouldn't recommend buying MB blind. TPC has samples at reasonable price.

Just thought I'd add that the beeswax note in MB is somewhat shifted away from the typical "honey note". The beeswax in MB seems IMO to be of a good quality. There is definitely a similarity to honey but in my initial sniffs, MB didn't have me thinking that this was an obvious "honey scent". I'd also add that I think this fragrance combines well with obviously woody fragrances. I read somewhere (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Tom Ford Private Blends were created with the possibility for combining (they also call it "layering") with other scents. I tried it, almost inadvertently, on top of Hinoki last night and enjoyed it!

I really wanna try MB as well, so that's another Dutch user who'll be interested in a split purchase!

btw, Japon Noir is an excellent scent and lasts a long time on my skin, one of my favorites actually!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by scentsual View Post
    Just thought I'd add that the beeswax note in MB is somewhat shifted away from the typical "honey note". The beeswax in MB seems IMO to be of a good quality. There is definitely a similarity to honey but in my initial sniffs, MB didn't have me thinking that this was an obvious "honey scent".
    You are absolutely correct scentsual - the perfume blog The Scented Salamander wrote a wonderful short article describing what Moss Breches actually means.

'...However, "breches", more often written "brèches" in French and sometimes "brêches", does not mean at all "breeches". Yes, "breches" can smell animalic, but it has to do with the natural musky, animalic overtones of honeycomb. "Brèches" means "honeycomb" or even more particularly according to a 1935 agricultural dictionary written by Tammo Jacob Bezemer, means something more specialized than that, that is an "old comb"as opposed to a fresh one...'

You can access the full article here

-- Jack Kerouac

'...However, "breches", more often written "brèches" in French and sometimes "brêches", does not mean at all "breeches". Yes, "breches" can smell animalic, but it has to do with the natural musky, animalic overtones of honeycomb. "Brèches" means "honeycomb" or even more particularly according to a 1935 agricultural dictionary written by Tammo Jacob Bezemer, means something more specialized than that, that is an "old comb"as opposed to a fresh one...'

You can access the full article here
    You mean I spelled MB wrong in my thread title? Oopps!
    Sorry, as I really liek it.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th May 2008 at 05:59 PM.

Basenotes Institution

You mean I spelled MB wrong in my thread title? Oopps!
    Sorry, as I really liek it.
    Yeah Ruggles. That's okay, I know you need an editor.

-- Jack Kerouac

I've noticed that BNer "submachine" who has a thread in the "Items for Sale" threads seems to be willing to do splits of both Le Labo and Tom Ford Private Blends (including MB). (At the moment I'm interested in Le Labo's Patchouli 24 and, living here in Norway, my chances are near zero to find these kinds of fragrances otherwise. I've previously obtained successfully Rose 31 through "submachine".) His "price" is the cost incurred divided by the number of people in on the split. Otherwise, and I'd agree with Mike, I wouldn't recommend buying MB blind. TPC has samples at reasonable price.

Just thought I'd add that the beeswax note in MB is somewhat shifted away from the typical "honey note". The beeswax in MB seems IMO to be of a good quality. There is definitely a similarity to honey but in my initial sniffs, MB didn't have me thinking that this was an obvious "honey scent". I'd also add that I think this fragrance combines well with obviously woody fragrances. I read somewhere (please correct me if I'm wrong) that the Tom Ford Private Blends were created with the possibility for combining (they also call it "layering") with other scents. I tried it, almost inadvertently, on top of Hinoki last night and enjoyed it!
    Thanks for the heads up and the warning, but I think it's safe for me to buy this one blind so I left a message in submachine's thread.
    I'm not expecting so much of a honey scent at all, for - like you kind of said so yourself - the smell beeswax has in fact little to do with the sweetness of honey, it's a pheromone bomb, more musk than honey. I think beeswax is amazing material and hope it will make a comeback in perfumery someday.

Exclamation Re: Tom Ford's Moss Breeches: *****

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I really wanna try MB as well, so that's another Dutch user who'll be interested in a split purchase!

btw, Japon Noir is an excellent scent and lasts a long time on my skin, one of my favorites actually!
    Jarno, look over here : http://community.basenotes.net/showt...=201616&page=2

And Vivek, thanks, but it looks like it won't be necessary for you to order a new bottle.

I think a *kick* is in order, since I received my bottle split today (thanks submachine).

Well, it's everything I hoped it would be, and more. A great, and I do mean GREAT, beeswax note (the whole room smelled of it even when the package was still closed!) and a wonderful use of mosses. Not the cheap one's that smell like mold, but good quality stuff.

Best blind buy I've done in ages! And thank you Ruggles for bringing this to my attention!

I had a small sample of it, and then went ahead and bought some. Either my sample was different compared to the bottle I got, or perhaps the way of application made it different, but I didn't like it as much the second time around. I prefer Tuscan Leather more, but I will be giving MB a few more tries too, it might grow on me!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Basenotes Plus

If anyone goes to SAKs in San Fancisco, say "Hello" to my friend Christopher Lynch. He's the SA for Tom Ford Private Blend Collection, extremely knowlegable about fragrance & will take good care of you. No affiliation, just a good buddy. Sigh...I miss SF.

JamieB, was it Christopher who helped you?
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Best blind buy I've done in ages! And thank you Ruggles for bringing this to my attention!
    So I can show my face again? Glad you adore it.

Basenotes Institution

I've almost used up my decant of this, and I'm considering more now. Wore this to the office the other day and it felt like I was wearing a classic Guerlain...it just felt sophisticated, subtle and reeked of quality. But honestly there's so many other fragrances that I want that are so much cheaper than MB.

-- Jack Kerouac

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    If anyone goes to SAKs in San Fancisco, say "Hello" to my friend Christopher Lynch. He's the SA for Tom Ford Private Blend Collection, extremely knowlegable about fragrance & will take good care of you. No affiliation, just a good buddy. Sigh...I miss SF.

JamieB, was it Christopher who helped you?
    Not unless he's a rather stout African-American woman or a Morrocan named Hassan. I got my two Tom Fords on separate trips, and they were the ones who helped me. I'll have to go back and try some more (after next payday) and hope to meet your friend then.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Cool Re: Tom Ford's Moss Breeches: *****

So I can show my face again?
    Yes, you can put Mr. Bowie back in his coffin, eh closet, eh whatever...
    Glad you adore it.
    Yes I do. I think it's great. I haven't had a fragrance of this type in ages. Not to say that it's old fashioned or anything, for in fact it's timeless.

Was a bit worried about the moss, because sometimes reconstructions of mosses can smell a bit like mold. Which in this case thank god is completely absent. Feels like very high quality materials are used. Are the others in this series as good as this one?
    Last edited by Domingo; 6th June 2008 at 08:13 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Are the others in this series as good as this one?
    I would sample all of them - to me, some are as good and some are not.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 6th June 2008 at 10:30 AM.

-- Jack Kerouac

I would sample all of them - to me, some are as good and some are not.
    So which are the one's you really like?

I'm mostly curious about Oud Wood (maybe TF knows how to do an oud perfume right) and Japon Noir. Did you try these? And what did you think of them? Thanks.

I'm mostly curious about Oud Wood (maybe TF knows how to do an oud perfume right) and Japon Noir. Did you try these? And what did you think of them? Thanks.
    Oud Wood is my second favorite of the TFPrBls (after Moss Breches). I'm no oud expert but have a small Oriscent Borneo 3000 sample and IMHO find the oud in TF Oud Wood closer to Borneo 3000 than are the oud/auods in say Montale's Black Aoud or YSL's M7 & M7 Fresh. I would recommend sampling first, though! I would be very interested in knowing what those of you with more experience in oud think about TFOW.

Oud Wood is my second favorite of the TFPrBls (after Moss Breches). I'm no oud expert but have a small Oriscent Borneo 3000 sample and IMHO find the oud in TF Oud Wood closer to Borneo 3000 than are the oud/auods in say Montale's Black Aoud or YSL's M7 & M7 Fresh. I would recommend sampling first, though! I would be very interested in knowing what those of you with more experience in oud think about TFOW.
    That's interesting! Now I'm even more curious about this one.

However, you must realize that apart from quality and the real vs synthetic issue, there are different types of ouds also. Another thing to consider, is that oud in alcohol behaves completely different on the skin than oud as pure oil. In alcohol it's more like an explosion of scent, while an oil its more like a slow fuse.

Some I think that are ok (not great tho) are Duro and Jubilation XXV. But this is just not 'my' favorite type of oud they use in these fragrances, and also I think they should have toned the note down a bit because I find it quite annoying after a while.

However, I'm sure a good oud perfume (well at least to my nose) can be done by a skillful perfumer.
    Last edited by Domingo; 7th June 2008 at 04:42 AM.

Domingo,

Japon Noir is really really smoky and woody with a citrus top. This one lasts and lasts all day on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Domingo,

Japon Noir is really really smoky and woody with a citrus top. This one lasts and lasts all day on me.
    Thanks Futami, sounds like I something I might enjoy.