Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: how can people liek versace dreamer?

Each to his own, I reckon -- I for one find it to be a very pleasant iris and tobacco frag.
    It gets me tons of compliments and has great longevity and sillage.

But then, I despise A*men while so many others here on the board are ga-ga for it.
    Again, at the end of the day, de gustibus non est disputandum.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 16th May 2008 at 12:34 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    Each to his own, I reckon -- I for one find it to be a very pleasant iris and tobacco frag.
    It gets me tons of compliments and has great longevity and sillage.

But then, I despise A*men while so many others here on the board are ga-ga for it.
    Again, at the end of the day, de gustibus non est disputandum.
    I'm with you on that - I can't bloody stand A*Men either, it's revolting.

Was tossing up between this and D & G pH. Glad I ended up going with the D & G. Versace was a little bit too quirky for me. I definately got some sort of caramel ice-cream vibe on my skin! I still liek'd it, but not enough to buy it over D&G.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Default Re: how can people like versace dreamer?

It's easy to get quite intoxicated with Versace Dreamer - the opening blast is an overwhelming work of art (at least it seems that way after a few times).

But I only wear Dreamer in cooler weather. You're in Abu Dhabi where I don't think there is such a thing as cool weather. I don't think I'd be wearing it much over there either. You would probably be better off with orientals that are fresher than average, like Gucci Envy, Very Valentino or Cerruti Si, to name a few.
    Renato

One reason...because everyone is different. There are a lot of fragrances that I like that others do not and juices that others adore that I can't bear. And just because Turin, Burr and others think something is Fragrance Royalty does not mean that I will warm up to it either.

Best,

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 16th May 2008 at 02:07 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

For me I don't know how can people like Guerlain Vetiver !
    Be who you are and say what you feel, cause those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon23 View Post
    Youve got it wrong, your supposed to layer it with kouros.

:P
    That would just make it twice as disgusting. Suddenly "almost puked" would become "puked" lol.
    Are we talking about Kouros or Kouros+Dreamer? No matter, I suppose it applies to both.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

If I were to rate it on drydown only I would give it 5 stars, without hesitation.

Unfortunately it takes some time to get there. And to make things worse, it takes in fact longer than most other fragrances to get there...

Like others said, in cold weather thats somewhat bearable, but summer is a real no no.
    Last edited by Domingo; 18th May 2008 at 03:39 AM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

I like it. It is much better thad DG PH. The initial gourmand smell is identical to the way a tootsie roll smells. After the tootsie roll burns off, you are left with the initial burst of DG PH which is good. I don't detect any tobacco in Dreamer but this is where DG PH goes south. I can't stand that annoying, rancid tobacco note that dominates and seems to go on forever.

One of my ex's wore Dreamer, and it smelt absolutely incredible on him. Very arousing, and erotic.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Dreamer is a very oddly-"shaped" fragrance. The levels are strange.

Whatever that first blast is in the beginning... I'm not a fan of it either.
    Right Said Fred! - I do not like the top note which I think is ...Taraggon?

I think you're overreacting a bit. I personally like it quite a bit.. I do agree that it's a bit overpowering for most of its life and the opening is a bit much. I think it's super synthetic and shares many of the synthetic qualities with Le Male, but for some reason I really like the drydown. I think I've worn it out twice, but got compliments on both occasions (granted one was from a girl i was dating at the time). That's a lot of faults I find in something I like, but I must like it enough to keep a bottle in the collection amongst the big dogs!

Anywho, any haters should give it a 'spray' test with good distance from the skin and let it develop. Purty good I think
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon23 View Post
    Youve got it wrong, your supposed to layer it with kouros.

:P
    LMAO!

yep. chicken urine with duck urine....good combo!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    and the opening is a bit much. I think it's super synthetic and shares many of the synthetic qualities with Le Male, but for some reason I really like the drydown.
    I got The Dreamer recently and your description above is 100% right imo,
    I don't liek it much(!)

It's strong but I like it. It is very Winter/Fall to me and the tobacco smell is great. It can be too strong and I haven't worn it in a bit but the original post is a little harsh.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I dizliek it. In fact, it's one of the few scents I actually had to scrub off shortly after application.
    ♦Wishlist♦

Nasomatto - Silver Musk
    Prada - Prada Man/Amber Pour Homme
    Tom Ford - Oud Wood

A L'Artisan Cap (old or new style)

Clothing + Goodies for sale!

It's so similar to Le Male that I wonder does anyone who lieks Le Male also lieks The Dreamer?

It's as bad as Le Male and A*Men if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    No I don't knoe wat u meen

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I'm with you on that - I can't bloody stand A*Men either, it's revolting.
    Yea, that crap reeks of tar and aspartame. Can't stand the stuff.

The Dreamer on other hand is interesting, but really loud and may come off as obnoxious at first but if you wait around and get to know it you love it quite a bit. It's kind of like me, especially when intoxicated!

Maybe it's an old sample and it turned?

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Dreamer doesn't smell like these two at all, so I guess I don't know what you mean either.

It definitely comes on strong, but Dreamer is unique - and in terms of what really matters, my fiancee likes it very much, particularly in romantic situations.

i have the dreamer. like the bottle and the name. and the dreamy scent. though I use it rarely, it has something synthetic-irritating
    Last edited by DreamerII; 4th August 2008 at 08:54 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) Guerlain Habit Rouge 5) TF Noir de Noir \\ Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Dreamer doesn't smell like these two at all, so I guess I don't know what you mean either.

It definitely comes on strong, but Dreamer is unique - and in terms of what really matters, my fiancee likes it very much, particularly in romantic situations.
    I don't get that connection either.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I love Dreamer but I found the mandatory 30 minute airing out period to get past the strong reak of the top notes unacceptable.

Mr. Burr says...

"After all those goddamn, tired out, hairy chested, cliché macho, standardized masculine fragrances you find out there, you have to wonder: Who the hell at Versace was the genius who came up with The Dreamer? First, this is so utterly not your father's aftershave that it smells like it fell to earth from the strange, powdery stellar globulous pictured on its box. Like Angel, The Dreamer startles you. Smell Eau Sauvage, and you think, "Oh, men's cologne." (Ho hum.) You smell this thing, and not only do you not think men's cologne (because you can't possibly), you think "My God!..." and then "What the hell is it?!" "It" is, first, absolutely mouthwatering. It is walking through a French pastry shop next to a spice market in southern Thailand. Then there's ice cream, gun powder, fruit candy, hot cocoa, marshmallows, blood orange peel, and probably some DDT. It is the most mesmeric fragrance I know."

Stolen from, "Chandler Burr | Five Favorite Scents | August 2004"

For what its worth.
    I leik it. But it took me a couple wearings to appreciate it. I still don't reach for it very often, but when I do, I really enjoy it. Once I get past the DDT.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I cna't bleieve you all are stlil maknig joeks aobut spellelling "ilek!"

Still, though, The Dreamer is something really different. It's a bit tough at first, but the drydown is quite nice.

Teh Dreamer maeks my haed hurt.

afrafraa, how about a poll? Do people liek or don't liek The Dreamer?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Dreamer is good stuff, just too young for me...

I gave my bottle to my best friend for his birthday, and his girlfriend thanks me for it profusely
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk