Code of Conduct

Default I have a dream! er.. concern, matter of factly

Ahoy mates,

Well, I recently smelled Burberry London from a vial which I had decanted for a pal.. I had decanted by spraying it into the vial from the bottle that I own. Now, when I smelled it from the vail.. I noticed that it reached its mid-notes rather QUICKLY .. as in within 10 seconds..from the moment of application from the vial... whereas the same frag when sprayed from my bottle reaches those mid-notes AFTER a few minutes... atleast 8-10ish minutes.

So that got me thinking.. frags begin diffusing their "top notes" IMMEDIATELY upon spraying from the bottle.. right? And then once sprayed the frags begins to settle.. going onto the heart notes and finally the base notes over a period of time. So if that's true.. it also means.. than when decanted into vials/decants directly by spraying from the bottle leaves a somewhat diluted or "airy" frag behind which has already lost its top notes... and has only the heart and base notes intact.

Sooo... what are your thoughts on this? Have any of you also noticed this phenomenon.. or am I not making any sense here? Also, many decanters use a different technique to decant their frags for selling.. like the funnel/tube etc... probably those techniques are much safer for decanting.. as they don't require the frag to be sprayed.. thus avoiding the diffusing of its 'top notes" .

Would love to hear comments.

p.s. He had stored the vial in a nice cool & dark place, so improper storage/handling is out of the question. Also, the frag is genuine.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Default Re: I have a dream! er.. concern, matter of factly

I'd guess that it varies quite a bit from on frag to another. I've started doing decants into mini atomizers now and I haven't seen a difference yet.

Good observations! And I think (fear) you maybe right.

When I do a decant, I never use a funnel, I spray directly into the vial. Never before thought about the things you brought forward, but now I feel this may be the best way to avoid losing the top notes to much.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Ahoy mates,

Also, many decanters use a different technique to decant their frags for selling.. like the funnel/tube etc... probably those techniques are much safer for decanting.. as they don't require the frag to be sprayed.. thus avoiding the diffusing of its 'top notes" .
    upon closer reading I must say i don't understand where you're at with this. IMO you lose MORE when you use a funnel, and what do you mean by "don't require the frag to be sprayed"? How are they supposed to get it out of the bottle then?

Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

O my god! I think I stop buying decants altogether. And what about samples? Now I can never be sure again if what I smell is actually how it supposed to smell!

Thanks, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    upon closer reading I must say i don't understand where you're at with this. IMO you lose MORE when you use a funnel, and what do you mean by "don't require the frag to be sprayed"? How are they supposed to get it out of the bottle then?
    With that statement I'm referring to professional decanters, and some online retailers like Luckyscent, PerfumedCourt etc.. Would they not be buying (atleast some.. or most?) of the frags that they sell as decants in Bulk? Which means they're probably not bottled into a bottle which uses "spraying" as a liquid eject mechanism... that's where the Tube and Funnel come into play.

Think about it... if spraying was the ONLY way to get a frag out of a bottle, what use is the Tube and the Funnel? Frags can be very easily be sprayed DIRECTLY into the vials.. even tiny vials like the 1ml-1.5ml ones... no nees for a tube/funnel here.

The loss of a few drops of frags on the funnel (the tube can be squeezed to have the frag drop back into the bottle) would be negligible for professional decanters.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Yes, That is exactly what my concern is... I smelled the frag reach its mid-notes so bloody fast and made me go WTF!

With that statement I'm referring to professional decanters, and some online retailers like Luckyscent, PerfumedCourt etc.. Would they not be buying (atleast some.. or most?) of the frags that they sell as decants in Bulk? Which means they're probably not bottled into a bottle which uses "spraying" as a liquid eject mechanism... that's where the Tube and Funnel come into play.

Think about it... if spraying was the ONLY way to get a frag out of a bottle, what use is the Tube and the Funnel? Frags can be very easily be sprayed DIRECTLY into the vials.. even tiny vials like the 1ml-1.5ml ones... no nees for a tube/funnel here.

The loss of a few drops of frags on the funnel (the tube can be squeezed to have the frag drop back into the bottle) would be negligible for professional decanters.

But not all fragrances come with a (fixed) spray mechanism. To name a few Lutens and Divine.

But I hope you're right and that shops like lucky scent and Aus Liebe Zum Duft are indeed able to buy special bottles for this purpose.
    Last edited by Domingo; 15th May 2008 at 10:41 PM.

But not all fragrances come with a (fixed) spray mechanism. To name a few Lutens and Divine.

But I hope you're right and that shops like lucky scent and Aus Liebe Zum Duft are indeed able to buy special bottles for this purpose.
    Yes, that's part of what I esentially mean.. bottles which feature REMOVABLE spray mechanisms .. which then can be decanted by using the tube.. thereby avoiding the need to spray-decant

Those, and bigger capacity bottles of frags that have stoppers.. instead of fixed spray atomizers... these are the safest-to-decant type bottles.. and i'm hoping the online retailers do buy those kinda bottles. So all in all, what I'm saying is that frags decanted this way would be immune to the issues faced by frags which are spray-decanted... by people like ourselves.. gotta be VERY careful when spray-decanting next time
    Last edited by Amit; 15th May 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Come to think of it, I remember from a recent purchase (Le Vetiver Lubin) that it smelled quite different once I got me a full bottle. I even wrote something about it here on Basenotes.
    I'm sure if I dig deep enough into my memory there must have been lots of times this happened. Before I always thought it was because of spraying vs dabbing which caused this. But now things start to fall into place.

Not happy with this at all. This changes everything for me.

^ I understand how you feel, because I felt the exact same way.

I posted this because I observed something... and wanted to share, apologies if I've caused any displeasure.. it was unintentional.

^ I understand how you feel, because I felt the exact same way.

I posted this because I observed something... and wanted to share, apologies if I've caused any displeasure.. it was unintentional.
    No, in fact I'm glad you did, and I don't blame you at all. It's just something I never thought about all that much.

You see, I used to blind buy a lot, until I figured this was going nowhere, since I got so many that I didn't care for after a couple of wears. So then I decided I would only buy after I sampled something and decided I liked it. Up till now that worked pretty well, but now I wonder how many fragrances I sort of 'wrote off' because they didn't smell like they were supposed to because of a bad decant.

Maybe bigtyivier will liek Versace Dreamer more if he'd decanted it.

^ lol

Eyeing the Marc Jacobs I decanted just yesterday.... sigh.... i'm scared of spritzing the decant now.

O my god! I think I stop buying decants altogether. And what about samples? Now I can never be sure again if what I smell is actually how it supposed to smell!

Thanks, dude.
    Cheer up Domingo .. stay positive .
    I can confidently say that when I decant Kouros from my bottle it still smells like Kouros when applied and not Brut or Orange Spice .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I have seen them decant by hand at Luckyscent, spritzing into a 1 ml sample vial.