Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default backup bottles. how many?

so currently i have 3 backup bottles of a scent....i'm thinking of buying more because it is discontinued and the sizes i have are all small (1.6oz)

do you think it's 'NORMAL' to backup a scent with 5 or more spare bottles?

i am currently using one open bottle, which still has 85% left in it.....what are the Basenotes guidelines for this sort of strange thinking in regards to backups?

i wanna buy more, but i'm getting the feeling i'm doing something psychologically unstable by buying more! LOL...my wife already thinks i'm slightly losing it!

Default Re: backup bottles. how many?

so currently i have 3 backup bottles of a scent....i'm thinking of buying more because it is discontinued and the sizes i have are all small (1.6oz)

do you think it's 'NORMAL' to backup a scent with 5 or more spare bottles?
    Sure, there are several discontinued fragrances for which I have multiple backup bottles in storage. For some, as many as six 100 ml bottles.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Post Thanks / Like

What's the name of the frag? details...

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

5 backup bottles? 6 backup bottles? Pffft. Of course it's not "normal." But "unstable"? If 5 or 6 backups is "unstable", I and other members I know of went insane long ago.

Completely normal - for us.

There are some perfume lovers who think hoarding is not healthy "leaves less room for things/people to enter your life"; there is certainly an element of truth to that way of thinking. But if you have a couple of scents that are totally "you", especially if they've been discontinued or reformulated, it would be foolish not to have a few back up bottles, if you can get them, IMO. Consider your rate of perfume use - do you have a huge wardrobe and finish a bottle over the course of years or do you have a small wardrobe and finish a bottle every few months? Also consider that with so many new frags released these days that surely, with some exploration, you will find other loves. That being said, I'm all for backups in special cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know, this has been on my mind lately. I'm still new to all of this and have found a couple of scents I really like.

Then the paranoia sets in: what if they reformulate it? or what if the EU ban on using citrus passes? or what if I break my bottle?

Then, I have a cup of tea and realize that by the time I get through a bottle: my tastes may have changed, another better frag may have come along, or I would survive a broken bottle.

Still, there are two frags that I feel it would be OK to have a backup bottle of their juiciness. We'll see. Especially since the initial wave of "OMG I must buy that now" seems to have subsided.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that it borders on crazyness to have that many backups unless they are discontinued. I have backups for 3 scents and 2 are 100ml or bigger. I feel ilke having some of my favorite stuff for a long time... I can't help it...

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have backup bottles, some frags with multiple backup bottles, of 38 fragrances including Aramis Havana, Havana Reserva and Tuscany, John Varvatos, R de Capucci, Stardust for Men, Third Man, Hererra for Men, Bob Mackie for Men, Montana Parfum d'Homme, Ungaro II and Ungaro III, Arpege for Men, B*Men, Witness, Zino Davidoff, Relax, Dunhill for Men (1934), Geir, Habit Rouge
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, M7, Trussardri Uomo, Guerlain Vetiver (1961) every one of which were bought at considerable discount to current prices. I paid the most for the Havana and Havana Reserva, anywhere from $40 for the 1.7 oz to $65 for the 3.4 oz. I decided I did not want to have to hunt down the scarcer of the above list when my bottle(s) neared empty and just couldn't pass up the offered bargains on others. (i.e B*Men @ $12, WItness @ $7, Arpege for Men @ $14).
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    I have backup bottles, some frags with multiple backup bottles, of 38 fragrances including Aramis Havana, Havana Reserva and Tuscany, John Varvatos, R de Capucci, Stardust for Men, Third Man, Hererra for Men, Bob Mackie for Men, Montana Parfum d'Homme, Ungaro II and Ungaro III, Arpege for Men, B*Men, Witness, Zino Davidoff, Relax, Dunhill for Men (1934), Geir, Habit Rouge
    L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme, M7, Trussardri Uomo, Guerlain Vetiver (1961) every one of which were bought at considerable discount to current prices. I paid the most for the Havana and Havana Reserva, anywhere from $40 for the 1.7 oz to $65 for the 3.4 oz. I decided I did not want to have to hunt down the scarcer of the above list when my bottle(s) neared empty and just couldn't pass up the offered bargains on others. (i.e B*Men @ $12, WItness @ $7, Arpege for Men @ $14).
    Thanks kbe!

I feel normal again.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thanks to the 'unstable' responses i recieved from here, i have just ordered 3 more backup bottles.....which makes the total of 6 backup bottles for the scent in question.

thank you for normalizing my feeling of insanity!!

Post Thanks / Like

Let me just add that as far as being "unstable" in this hobby, I see very little difference between having a few or even many backups of a perfume and accumulating 100, 200, 300 or more different ones. Whether or not this is unstable behavior remains to be proven (diagnosed) I think.

I had 3 bottles of Bond No.9 Bleecker Street, 3 bottles of Montale Black Aoud, and 2 bottles of Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur at one point, but I now only have one of each, cuz I had to sell them cuz I'm broke
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have backup bottles in the downstairs fridge of my favorite discontinued scents. I am thinking of backing up a current scent (one bottle only since it's current) as I suspect it may not be around for long (all my favorites get discontinued!)

I don't know how to say this, but I stocked up (7) bottles of 3.4oz M7 + (1) 1.7oz is in use. Along this on M7 series I have 1 3.4oz backup for M7Fresh and another one in use.

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Let me just add that as far as being "unstable" in this hobby, I see very little difference between having a few or even many backups of a perfume and accumulating 100, 200, 300 or more different ones. Whether or not this is unstable behavior remains to be proven (diagnosed) I think.
    MadSci - the backup bottle situation is a bit more focused, don't you think, than the 300 different scent approach? Different philosophy - almost the reverse philosophy, in fact, about scent collecting, although the total number of bottles may be similar.

as many as one needs...

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: backup bottles. how many?

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Thanks kbe!

I feel normal again.

LOL!

Well, I look upon my half empty bottles of Dunhill '34 and Havana and wistfully think of what a jerk I was for not buying more when I could. Backing up bottles of juice that have not been discontinued? I haven't done that-----yet.

I feel almost normal,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Its perfectly normal to me. I have at least 2 or 3 backup bottles for my faves. I have 6 back up bottles of Red for Men.
    It's a security thing...never being without and always having a fresh box to open after the last spritz of the bottle. Buying online from Scentiments and Beauty Encounter ( aka Perfumebay) and so many others, allows you to buy in bulk and you never have to pay retail, tax, and shipping!
    It's a steal...so back-up your back-ups and never be without!!

ernie ~ vialman~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vialman View Post
    Its perfectly normal to me. I have at least 2 or 3 backup bottles for my faves. I have 6 back up bottles of Red for Men.
    It's a security thing...never being without and always having a fresh box to open after the last spritz of the bottle. Buying online from Scentiments and Beauty Encounter ( aka Perfumebay) and so many others, allows you to buy in bulk and you never have to pay retail, tax, and shipping!
    It's a steal...so back-up your back-ups and never be without!!

ernie ~ vialman~
    Wise advice from this forum's namesake! I love it.
    I agree. It's definitely not crazy to go crazy with back up bottles. I'm another one who lost out on some favorite scents because I didn't get back up bottles. The specific amount of back up bottles is proportional to how much you like the scent in question. If you decide at some point that you don't need all of the back up bottles, they are almost always worth a decent amount and easily sold off, especially the discontinued ones.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy backup bottles of anything.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just starting to realize the usefulness of backups for those scents that are discontinued. I ran out of a favorite I've had for a couple years only to find that replacing it was 4x the original cost. Now when I find a deal on a discontinued fragrance I like I pick up a couple. Likewise, if there's a discontinued fragrance I'm curious about and I find it reasonably priced I will immediately pick it up.... that's a little warped because I don't even know if I like it, but I figure if I don't someone will.....

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

I've realized since the discontinuation of LPNo:9 that backup bottles are a MUST.
    I have managed to begin to store a good supply for the future, however, I don't think it can ever be enough.

I am also terrified of possible reformulations. I would be mortified if such wonderful blends like "Black Orchid" are reformulated after a few years (as happened with Ford's work for Gucci Envy), substituting components with alternatives due to supply and demand issues. Im not quite stocking up yet, but the minute anyone cries "foul!", Im off to drop a small fortune.

Back in the days when my 'drobe was much much (much) smaller, I used to keep one or two backups for every perfume. Then things got out of hand. I have a scary number of bottles in my rotation nowadays, so actually finishing a bottle is a rare event. I now keep two extra bottles of a few discontinued favorites, but there's only so much effort (and money) I'm willing to put into backups. Once your collection hits a certain number, you realize that there's always going to be something new, something better, another must-have (or two or twenty. I can hardly keep up with all the things I want), and at that point you learn to let go.

(That said, I'll never ever be without a bottle or two of Shalimar parfum, Vetiver Oriental, Chergui, MKK, and if I even suspect that Andy Tauer might stop production, I'd be on the first plane to Zurich and buy everything I can get my paws on).

Talking Re: backup bottles. how many?

I only have one backup to one of my favorites-halston 101,but it is a 30 ouncer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post

Wow Dimitri, that looks cool.

I go through scents so slowly that I don't worry too much about backups. I do wish I would have snagged some extra Cuiron and Cuiron bath gel when I saw it marked way down at a SAKS outlet store two summers ago. Still, as much as I like Cuiron, I'll probably never finish my 3.4 oz bottle.

The only scents I have backups for are Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Versace Black Jeans and Extreme Polo Sport-- because the latter two are discontinued (WHY!?!?!?!?) and Rive Gauche, you never know.

The good thing about Basenotes is once something looks to be getting discontinued, you have enough warning to get out there and snag some more before it becomes impossible to find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to have a hoarding problem, but I've quit that. Now I just buy 100ml bottles or larger when I can, lol. I have extra bottles of CK be, though, 'cause I heard that was discontinued. Booooo! I also typically have an extra bottle of Bvlgari Black on hand, but I just opened my "back up" bottle, so I'm not looking for a new one quite yet.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Very Normal especially if you want a reserved room at the FAC ( Fragrance Abuse Clinic)
    Being the FAC founder, I totally understand and agree with back-up bottles, especially if you can get a real bargain!
    I currently have 5 Red for Men back-ups, and 6 Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. A real bargain here since a 3.4 oz sells for $105. I found an eBayer selling 6.7 oz Riviera splash editions ( with atomizer sprays) for $82.
    Needless to say, I bought 3 bottles from him and have 3 bottles ( 3.4oz.)
    Lets face it...sometimes you love something so much you "need the security of hoarding",
    I have given some bottles away when I had 2 back-ups and then lost interest in the fragrance.
    I love Colonia Assoluta, so my back-ups will be used up!
    Think of it as an investment in emotions...as Fragrances are "liquid emotions"

vialman
    ernie Gallo

At the moment I do not own a single backup bottle of anything. I recently learned that a (fairly new) favourite scent of mine has been discontinued and I thought about whether to stock up for quite a while. In the end I decided against it because I will need to let go of the fragrance sooner or later anyway. Something new and special will come along one day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talking Re: backup bottles. how many?

I've never even tried this Penhaligons! Think I had best try and find some!

I have a number of back up bottles. I keep trying to reduce them, then they creep back up.

3 x 100ml Black Orchid + 1 50ml
    1 x 100ml Black Orchid Voile de Fleur 1 x 50ml
    8 x 120ml Gaultier 2 + 4 x 40ml + 3 x 20ml
    2 x 60ml Gaultier 2 Eau D'Amour (rather different and much niceness!)
    2 x Black Cashmere
    1 x M7
    2 x Liquid Karl
    3 x Costume National
    2 x Heritage EDT + 2 x EDP

I'm sure there are more, in fact I know there are but I can't remember them off the top of my head!

I do have a rather, how do I put it, disturbing collection. See my photo album!

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I've realized since the discontinuation of LPNo:9 that backup bottles are a MUST.
    I have managed to begin to store a good supply for the future, however, I don't think it can ever be enough.

I am also terrified of possible reformulations. I would be mortified if such wonderful blends like "Black Orchid" are reformulated after a few years (as happened with Ford's work for Gucci Envy), substituting components with alternatives due to supply and demand issues. Im not quite stocking up yet, but the minute anyone cries "foul!", Im off to drop a small fortune.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Gallo. It is a pleasure to see you here. I know nothing about you. I hope that may change in the near future - I would love to know how this forum came to be named for you.
    Anyway welcome back.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

edited
    Last edited by MFJ; 23rd July 2008 at 06:54 AM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

edited
    Last edited by MFJ; 23rd July 2008 at 06:45 AM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

about 1/4 of my collection is my back-up storage. quite the Fahrenheit fan, cutting down on variety and taking the back up route, i can only afford 1 route.

Last edited by MFJ; 31st July 2008 at 12:55 PM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I am just starting to realize the usefulness of backups for those scents that are discontinued. I ran out of a favorite I've had for a couple years only to find that replacing it was 4x the original cost. Now when I find a deal on a discontinued fragrance I like I pick up a couple. Likewise, if there's a discontinued fragrance I'm curious about and I find it reasonably priced I will immediately pick it up.... that's a little warped because I don't even know if I like it, but I figure if I don't someone will.....
    For me its the price factor. Locally in singapore, the price of mainstream frags go up 5 SGD every 6 months or a year generally. And Scents from dior, armani, RL, Issey, Chanel, have been the leaders of the pricehike pack. As long as backups are stored away well and unopened, i dont see anything bad happening
    Last edited by MFJ; 23rd July 2008 at 06:51 AM.

When I consider buying excessive back up bottles (for me that is more than 1 or 2) I always think of my poor mother who filled her closet full of her favorite discontinued frag only to discover that they had "turned" and she threw them all away in a fit of tears. I am afraid of having that happen to me financially and emotionally. There will always be another great frag out there waiting to be loved by me...
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Post Thanks / Like

So far, I only have a backup of the classic pour bottle Habit Rouge EDC. Two bottles of 1.7 oz and a bottle of the 3.3oz.

Post Thanks / Like

The only bottle that I am going to get a back up bottle of is Muscs Koublai Khan. . . but only once my current bell jar gets below 50%.

Yeah it's normal......

Do those Creeds reproduce like rabbits in there or something haha!

I have two or three backup bottles of Homme de Gres

Oh, if only I were that lucky!
    Last edited by Maz24; 24th July 2008 at 08:09 PM.

Dependent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Oh, if only I were that lucky!
    it already seems like it.....

Quote Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
    When I consider buying excessive back up bottles (for me that is more than 1 or 2) I always think of my poor mother who filled her closet full of her favorite discontinued frag only to discover that they had "turned" and she threw them all away in a fit of tears. I am afraid of having that happen to me financially and emotionally. There will always be another great frag out there waiting to be loved by me...
    The image of me in your mothers place throwing it all away in a similar yet I hope more manly "fit of tears" has convinced me to keep this buying in moderation.

I've had multiples of certain fragrances at various times, when I've completely fallen for something and felt I couldn't risk ever being without it. In the case of several, the infatuation faded and I "liquidated' the surplus stock by swapping or selling. Now I don't buy multiples of anything new. If its no longer available when the current bottle or decant runs out, I'll look for a substitute.

The purchase I'm feeling guilty about today, however, was a duplicate that I purchased because of the packaging. I saw and fell in love with the Aromatics Elixir Perfume Atomizer and found one although its been discontinued since last Christmas. Since AE is the fragrance I consider THE most beautiful I've ever smelled, I decided I was justified in wanting to have it in a suitably beautiful bottle.

Okay, I feel better now that I've confessed.

Post Thanks / Like

5 might be pushing it, but it's your money..

Post Thanks / Like

5 might be pushing it, but it's your money..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i wrote this back in May didn't i?

well i currently have SEVEN backup bottles of the fragrance i was asking about in this thread...for those of you who haven't guessed it----yes it is Cuiron.

Morning Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have two 50ml back-ups of Gucci Envy For Men stored in the refrigerator, and only because I got them at a clearance sale for $20 apiece early in my collecting history. I've since realized there are better fragrances out there, but I still keep the back-ups anyway.

I have about the same Helmut Lang Cuiron(s) on back up - all 3.3oz EDC and aftershaves splashes. Can't go wrong with these...even if they bring it back, you and I know it will never be exactly the same ingredients again. Worth stocking up for sure. Mine is stored in a cedar humidor box (without the humidity of course).

Post Thanks / Like

A quick backup story... I've been looking to back up my Helmut Lang EdC as it's getting hard to find and the price keeps going up. (I've got one bottle of the EdP and I bought a factory box of 50 EdP 2ml samples). Since all of my HL bottles are 50ml, I've been wanting a 100ml. I had been scoping out a website 'fragranceglobe' that was selling it for $74, but they sold out. I then found one on a second-rate website called 'liquid scentcations' for $60. Score! I thought. Well about 3 days after ordering I got an email that they 'couldn't find the bottle' and they were refunding my money. I'm more inclined to believe that they just didn't want to sell for the price they advertised. Dejected, I bought another 50ml bottle.

If anyone has a 100ml HL EdC bottle to get rid of, let me know. I think once I have 150-200ml of each Helmut Lang product I'll feel ok.

I have to be really careful about buying backup bottles. It's very odd, but when I do buy backups, I start to lose interest in the fragrance.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by plumeria View Post
    I have to be really careful about buying backup bottles. It's very odd, but when I do buy backups, I start to lose interest in the fragrance.
    Bingo!

I noticed the same thing after I backed up a soon-to-be discontinued fragrance last spring. I don't like it any less, but an "edge" has been lost now that I have more than enough. So I decided against backing up another frag. that is not (yet) being discontinued.

Perhaps part of the allure of a fragrance is its perceived scarcity?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Since it's hard to find, I've got 2 Hermes Concentree D'orange verte 100ml.
    Not hard to get but a little lunacy: Huge (6.7oz) bottles for Issey Miyake PH and Eau de Hermes.

I buy 2 of everything usually.Not at once but I will buy one usually a gift set and then I feel it is not enough so I go the next day and get another one and then I rarely use them because I like to see gift sets stacked up in my room.My kids complain and my boyfriend does too.He cut me off from money because he doesn't want me buying anymore perfume. I have my own money but it is better to spend his LOL!But today I bought some perfume and one of the things I bought is an Escada Moon Sparlke gift set and I already feel it won't last me so I know I need another set. I wish I didn't buy doubles of everything but I also shop at Marshalls for my perfume and it is like first come first serve with them if you don't get it when you see it it may not be there again and they may not get it again for months.When I bought Red Door Revealed I really liked it and I didn't get 2 and now I am almost out of it and I have had it since January 2008 and I haven't seen it there since. But oh well I have bought so many others I have 24 gift sets.I have a problem.I need winter boots but I WANT more perfume.I don't like to shop for anything else.

Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly where my need to backup comes from... does anyone else have this innate fear that something you want to buy will all of a sudden be either unavailable or massively more expensive? I was reminded how frustrating this can be when I went to buy something the other night, and the one site I'd seen it on was all of a sudden out of stock. I was pissed.

Anyway, I think I'm finally all backed up of everything I want to back up. I snagged a 100ml Helmut Lang EdC on eBay for $48 a couple nights ago, bringing my total backup to:

HL EdC - 150ml backup (+50ml in use)
    HL EdP - 100ml backup (+50ml in use)
    Cuiron - 100ml backup (+50ml in use)
    Dior Homme Intense - 100ml backup (+50ml in use)
    Dior Fahrenheit Summer - 100ml backup (100ml in use)