Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Beyond Paradise Men by Estee Lauder

I never heard of this before reading Turin's new book. The bottle just looks too young for me to want to even try it. I couldn't resist since Turin & Sanchez rate this as one of the 10 best masculines. Agree, disagree, any one out there have any experience with Beyond Paradise Men?

For those of you who don't have access to "Perfumes The Guide" I'll qoute Turin for entertainment value.

Beyond Paradise Men (Estee Lauder) * * * * * green woody

"Never has the word accord been more appropiate than for BP Men. The discovery if the citrus-herbaceous note of dihydromyrcenol in the early nineties added a pale gray puzzle piece to fit somewhere at the junction of yellow citrus, blue, lavender, and green melon. As long as differential volatilities are properly taken into account, very complex chords incorporating all these colors can now be created. BP Men and Nautica Voyage are perfect illustrations of this. What is special about BP Men is the way it works more like music than a fragrance. Wear it, and after a few hours you will find your daily life suffused by the same feeling of peace you get when you settle into an armchair after tidying your apartment from end to end. All other masculines (and most feninines) seem loud, coarse, and bare by comparison. Its composer, Calice Becker, has miraculously found a way to bottle a never-ending dawn such as Concorde pilots used to see flying westward, racing with the sun." LT

I got a sample and fell in love with this one immediately. Best part is I just bought a 3.4 oz bottle on ebay for $16.49.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Beyond Paradise Men by Estee Lauder

i must say, i've had a couple small .25oz bottles for a while.....and i really do think it is a fascinating scent.

it's very strong, and it's very multidimensional. it's almost as if it smells different every time i wear it....

i LOVE the subtle suede notes hidden away in there as well.....sort of smells like someone spilled fruit juice all over an old suede jacket...

very interesting indeed. that being said, i ONLY feel like wearing BP when i'm happy...if i'm just neutral, or pissed off....then this scent annoys the hell outta me! lol.
    Last edited by everso; 16th May 2008 at 01:24 AM.

Ever since I started collecting fragrances about two and a half years ago, I have regarded Beyond Paradise as possibly the worst fragrance I've come across. There was one that might have been worse, but I think it was rotten. Anyway - I've often described this scent as "the smell of a flaming ziplock bag full of girly drink vomit".

I find little of what Turin says to have any accuracy whatsoever, and it would stand perfectly logical for him to have selected this for his top ten, as I believe we must have absolute polar opposite taste in fragrance. However, I can't ignore the fact that he is responsible for the development of many of the synthetic compounds found in Beyond Paradise, so it is impossible not to acknowledge his bias. If he really and truely finds this fragrance to be among the best of all time, then my only response would be to point and laugh at him.

I find it absolutely acrid and synthetic - smelling. A horrible plasticy mess of flowers and fruit. I just cannot see how anyone could be into this fragrance! - let alone a supposed fragrance connoisseur!

Thank you for this opportunity to express my utter dislike of this fragrance!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 16th May 2008 at 03:05 AM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Hmmm, I don't know Turin, except from some snippets I have read about/from him here and there on the web, but I do read and respect Vibert's reviews here on Basenotes and his review of this frag is very positive too.

So I won't write it off until I tried it. Although I must say that based on the notes it doesn't look very promising to me either.
    Last edited by Domingo; 16th May 2008 at 03:13 AM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Sur la Plage

I have sampled this several times - and made a point to sample it again based on the review in "the book".

While I did not dislike it, I found it to be a fairly generic, run-of-the mill fragrance. I did not think it was bottle worthy, even at a discounted price - and at best I would give it 2 stars.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 16th May 2008 at 06:58 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    However, I can't ignore the fact that he is responsible for the development of many of the synthetic compounds found in Beyond Paradise, so it is impossible not to acknowledge his bias.
    Turin, himself, posted on Basenotes that he had nothing to do with the ingredients. One would think he did by the way he goes on and on about it.
    Beyond Paradise should be renamed Beyond Plastic. To me, it takes the messy Creed Milliseme accord and re-packages it cheaply for the masses.

Maybe he has a very particular skin chemistry, or maybe he just likes kinky stuff?
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Unhappy Re: Beyond Paradise Men by Estee Lauder

Tried Beyond Paradise on my forearm at Ulta yesterday after reading the review of it in the Turin/Sanchez book. Well, I didn't hate it. It had the usual fruity thing goin' on. Kind of run-of-the-mill BUT--I was very allergic to it. Coughing, wheezing the whole nine yards. Asthma attack aside, I certainly didn't think it was a masterpiece. Kind of boring, actually. (Had to scrub it off in the restroom at Starbucks, though, in order to get my breath back.)

Ever since I started collecting fragrances about two and a half years ago, I have regarded Beyond Paradise as possibly the worst fragrance I've come across. There was one that might have been worse, but I think it was rotten. Anyway - I've often described this scent as "the smell of a flaming ziplock bag full of girly drink vomit".

I find little of what Turin says to have any accuracy whatsoever, and it would stand perfectly logical for him to have selected this for his top ten, as I believe we must have absolute polar opposite taste in fragrance. However, I can't ignore the fact that he is responsible for the development of many of the synthetic compounds found in Beyond Paradise, so it is impossible not to acknowledge his bias. If he really and truely finds this fragrance to be among the best of all time, then my only response would be to point and laugh at him.

I find it absolutely acrid and synthetic - smelling. A horrible plasticy mess of flowers and fruit. I just cannot see how anyone could be into this fragrance! - let alone a supposed fragrance connoisseur!

Thank you for this opportunity to express my utter dislike of this fragrance!
    I hope your just not upset at Turin because he's not a fan of Creed. I'm wearing BP men today and fellow workers were telling me how nice I smelled today. I purchased alot of bottles of frags before Turin's book came out. I was surprised how many 4 star frags my Wife and I have in our combined wardrobes.

Naturally I don't simply agree with every review, but I do agree with Turin on all the crappy over-rated Creed frags that are out there.

I too am not a fan. Its kind of like a big, boring, aquatic mess to me. I had to start scrubbing immediately. Headache followed.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Basenotes Institution

Fruit cocktail meets Witch Hazel - with a dash of White Out correction fluid

Beyond paradise? Oh yes it is.
    "The plant that you have in your home - have you ever truly looked at it? Have you allowed that familiar yet mysterious being we call a plant to teach you its secrets? Have you noticed how deeply peaceful it is? How it is surrounded by a field of stillness? The moment you become aware of a plant's emanation of stillness and peace, that plant becomes your teacher."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I hope your just not upset at Turin because he's not a fan of Creed. I'm wearing BP men today and fellow workers were telling me how nice I smelled today. I purchased alot of bottles of frags before Turin's book came out. I was surprised how many 4 star frags my Wife and I have in our combined wardrobes.

Naturally I don't simply agree with every review, but I do agree with Turin on all the crappy over-rated Creed frags that are out there.
    No, this doesn't have anything to do with Creed or Turin's preference for or against Creed. This has to do with Beyond Paradise being the first thing that comes to mind whenever I read the word "synthetic" in a review or description of a fragrance on Basenotes!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I love the scent - though it is quite synthetic smelling - though this is really synthetic done right ...

This was a scent that taught me that marine/freshness accords could be employed in a pleasant and good fragrance and that it wasn't that I hated marine accord, just that I hated bad perfumes!

While I am not sure it should have been considered a masterpiece (5 stars) it is one of the very few marine accord laced scents that use the accord to blend together the scent rather than lay on top of it.

When used correctly - and I think BP for Men is one example - this accord works. Kind of like aldehyde - very synthetic, but applied correctly can help pull a scent together.
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 16th May 2008 at 10:05 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

I've tried several frags that have gotten the "synthetic" tag and I can't say it makes any difference to me. In fact, some of these I like in my rotation because they don't smell natural (but still are enjoyable). Other frags have what I perceive to be synthetic qualities, but are not enjoyable for one reason or another. I find this in Gucci Envy and Jovan Sex Appeal, along with Kouros and Brut, for example. On the other hand, Corinto Rouge has been described (by none other than Foetidus) as synthetic, but I just find that it's too strong and I only apply it below the knee. So before dismissing a frag as too synthetic, I'd suggest trying all kinds of applications, to see if anything alleviates your perception of that synthetic quality.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 16th May 2008 at 10:16 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I love the scent - though it is quite synthetic smelling - though this is really synthetic done right ...

This was a scent that taught me that marine/freshness accords could be employed in a pleasant and good fragrance and that it wasn't that I hated marine accord, just that I hated bad perfumes!

While I am not sure it should have been considered a masterpiece (5 stars) it is one of the very few marine accord laced scents that use the accord to blend together the scent rather than lay on top of it.

When used correctly - and I think BP for Men is one example - this accord works. Kind of like aldehyde - very synthetic, but applied correctly can help pull a scent together.
    Thank you for putting into words my exact thoughts. I never found a marine accord that was pleasing to my nose. This marine/freshness accord is extremely pleasant. It seems several basenoters don't understand this fragrance. That's OK. I don't think it's a masterpiece but I would give it 3.5 stars. I don't understand how BP Men could be considered awful. I could see just not caring for it.

For everyone that has disagreed with me, I appreciate your honesty and opinions.

TheBeck, how's the longevity/sillage of BPM?
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    TheBeck, how's the longevity/sillage of BPM?
    Most frags have a short life with me. BP Men lasts 8-12 hours easily. Sillage is very good. I can smell myself all day which is something I like.

I've had a sample of this for quite a while and never tried it til now. I really like this one so far, it kind of reminds me of Voyage, but much much smoother. not bad...... =)

I find it absolutely acrid and synthetic - smelling. A horrible plasticy mess of flowers and fruit.
    And that's putting it mildly!

Bought it, sold it. It's not repulsive but I did find it a rather boring, watery fruity.

I think I would've liked Bermuda Tonic a lot more. Pity it's discontinued and becoming impossible to find.

I just learned it has been discontinued for the Estee Lauder Men's fragrances line up.

BP has a lot going for it, even before the price comes into play. It's tough to find a multi-dimensional aquatic with any lasting power. It's nice, but I still much prefer CK Truth (not that they are all too similar).
    "Strange things are afoot. I am one of them and I am up to another." -*^-'._.'-^*- - S.B.

Paradise For Men is an absolute scrubber for me. The smell gives me a truly negative response that I have not experienced from any other fragrance.

Great scent if you play in a band called "Smashing Mangoes." Neutral at best.

I fell madly in love with BP long before the Guide was published. It is a remarkable synthetic to my nose, unlike anything in my wardrobe. Perhaps it is a scent created and released way before its time. (Though it is for me one of those that garners lots of unsolicited compliments.) It will be interesting to watch its value trajectory over the next few years (if indeed Estee Lauder has discontinued or will be discontinuing its production). I have enough for my lifetime. (or too much depending on how my timeline plays out).
    Griff

I am not a huge fan. Bought it when the Guide came out -- inexpensively, thankfully -- and find it watery and melon-y. Nothing terrible, but nowhere near my "ten best masculines" list. It's an innocuous fragrance, which are often the ones that garner the most compliments.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

My grandpa wears this stuff. I think it smells pretty decent but it's nothing to rave about.
    Time to musk up.

I owned a FB of this a couple of years ago, and it is probably one of the least interesting frags I've ever owned. In fact, I had totally forgotten that it even existed until I saw it mentioned on Basenotes a couple of days ago. I can't even remember very well what it smells like, and I doubt I would recognize it if I smelled it again. I'm surprised that anyone would actually have stong opinions - positive or negative - about this one, but I'm not one to argue with people over their personal likes and dislikes. I just found it totally uninteresting, and I gave my bottle away to a friend who doesn't really use perfume, doesn't care, and literally had no bottles of his own. I hope at least it made more of a difference to him than it did to me.

I think it's horrendous. So sweet. So synthetic. So blah.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

I'm a huge Lauder fan, but Beyond Paradise for Men and Pleasures for Men simply do not float my boat.

I think Beyond Paradise is a great example of a fragrance which should be smelled from a distance and not sniffed directly on skin. I bought a sample of this just after it was launched with absolutely no prior knowledge of its existance (or reputation!). Although it is VERY different to the kind of fragrances which usually float my boat (Kouros, One Man Show, Bijan, Aramis - you get the picture..!) I immediately liked it a lot and bought a full bottle. It creates, in my mind, a pleasant aura with fruit and citrus notes underpinned with a woody accord and a salty, dried seawater on skin vibe which seems to come and go. thebeck's music analogy is spot on for me - I find the fragrance sunny, relaxing and calming. I agree that, if sniffed up close, it smells VERY different - highly synthetic, quite harsh and un-harmonius. This for me is part of its magic - sniffed from a distance it is completely different. It lasts amazingly well (especially for a light, aquatic type of scent) giving me 8-10hrs longevity if applied moderately. I was amazed and shocked to find it lambasted and hated on Basenotes and other sites. I had to check it was the same frag being talked about in such derogatory tones!! It's become my 'guilty secret' scent like admitting to liking the latest boy-band or saying your favourite drink is Lambrini!! Bearing this in mind, please keep this post to yourselves....!