Code of Conduct

Smile New To This! 3 Colognes?? Help

Hello everyone!

Before I begin...I would like to say I apologize in advance for the long post, I tend to ramble or go off on tangents. I suppose on the other handle that more detail means you will be better able to help me.

I have recently discovered a new interest for men's fragrances. In my journey to find a set of colognes that would suit my situation I stumbled upon this site. After a moderate amount of snooping around, and reading other peoples opinions on many colognes I seem to have found a rough spot in my decision making.

I would like to ask you if you guys would be willing to help me out in finding 2 or 3 suitable colognes. I am a University student in Iowa, and for the last couple of years I have pretty much just stuck with what I have received as gifts and my fathers cologne. I tend to stick with 1 or 2 certain colognes/fragrances for at least a good couple of years so I wanted to make sure I made good choices.

Naturally I will try these out at the local mall before purchasing on Amazon (which seems to have pretty good prices in comparison), however I am not one for staying around those places very long, as the bombardment of aromas is a bit intense for me, and I feel almost feminine in my dealing with the lady behind the counter. So I would like to have only a couple that have been suggested here written down and just try those out and be done with it. I can do more of the fanciful exploring of fragrances a few years down the road.

I am basically looking for 3 different colognes that I can use for 3 different situations.

So far I have been using Michael Jordan cologne (I know, you don't have to tell me, I am not a fragrance connoisseur like the rest of you, and even I find it somewhat funny) I was given as a gift (I am Caucasian if that has anything to do with the appropriateness of your decisions) and my father's Jovan Musk. He is a somewhat "traditional businessman", a manufacturing plant manager.

I am going on a bit of a tangent however so I will try not to bore you and get straight to the point.

I am looking for:

#1. I need a light, daily cologne, right now I am wanting to side with Cool Water, as it seems to be rather popular, the ladies seem to like it quite a bit from what I have seen in reviews on the net, which is definitely a nice bonus, especially at my age, and I can get a fair amount for a fair price, 4.2 oz for $37 or 2.5 oz for $30.

It seems aquatics are the way to go for a light daily cologne, and Acqua di Gio which seems to be the most obvious other choice for a "main" cologne based on reviews is a bit out of my price range for a single cologne. If you have guys have any other suggestions I welcome them. I have already looked into Curve and Drakkar which seem to be the other 2 big hitters and they aren't really what I am looking for. I am sorry if I cannot be more specific, I am not good at description and "notes" since I am rather new to this whole thing. I have also heard, just this morning about Unbound, which is decently cheap for a decent amount and some have said they think it is better than AdG. How would you compare this to Cool Water as far as a daily college cologne. I am also unsure if the ladies like it as much as Cool Water.

#2. A more night appropriate cologne that is more of the oriental and/or flowery type. It would be preferable if it were appropriate for night life events such as parties, as I am unsure how well Cool Water or a like fragrance would do for that situation. If its known to be one that the ladies tend to like that is all the better but is in no way a requirement. If someone knows of a good one for night life for someone my age, that is not oriental/flowery feel free to add that in your suggestions as well.

#3. A more robust, hardier, manly scent, perhaps with woody notes to it. I don't care for the brutal or strong scents however. This would probably replace my Jovan Musk as a good example. Its hardy but its not overpowering, its a "stable" scent. Like I said I am bad with fragrance descriptors right now.

I plan on purchasing 2 of these at one time, and then the 3rd at a later date. I am comfortable with spending $60-ISH total on #1 & #2, and perhaps something on the cheaper range of $20-$25 for #3. This is not going off of Mall prices, as those are overpriced more often than not. I will probably be purchasing these off of Amazon since they have good prices generally speaking and I can probably get free shipping etc, as I will be buying some Health/Fitness/Nutrition things from there when I decide to make my cologne purchases.

I appreciate any and all suggestions, if someone wants more info, I will do my best to help you so that you, in turn, can help me.

I want at least one of these, preferably #1, if not that then #2, to be one of those where if I walk by its subtle and smooth, not overpowering and will get a person (preferably a lady, but doesn't matter) to think "hmm...that smells good, I really want to know what that is!"

Thanks a bunch in advance.
    Last edited by Unreal030; 16th May 2008 at 03:08 AM.

Default Re: New To This! 3 Colognes?? Help

1. Corduroy, Uomo? Moschino, Dunhill's X-Centric, and Devotion.

2. Adidas Victory League, Chaleur d'Animale, Rouge Royal, Samba Nova, and Azzaro Silver Black.

3. Witness by Bogart, Bogart Pour Homme (if you like tobacco frags), Carlo Corinto (if you like leather and dark amber), Francesco Smalto (fougere), and Vermeil (if you like the "dirty/clean" of Kouros but don't want to overwhelm people around you).

These are all "cheapos," so you can get one of each category for around $40 total if you are a good shopper.

Sur la Plage

Welcome to Basenotes!

Some suggestions:

1) Davidoff Cool Water, Sean John Unforgivable, Azzaro Chrome

2) Calvin Klein Obsession for Men, Yves Saint-Laurent Opium pour Homme, Thierry Mugler B*Men, Lucky #6 for Men, Ungaro III

3) Burberry London for Men, Gucci pour Homme I, Gucci Envy for Men

A lot of the fragrances that I have listed can be found at a local Marshalls or TJ Maxx, where most of the time their prices are cheaper then what you can find online. Some other good online retailers are Fragrancenet.com and FragranceX.com. I personally do not think Amazon has the best prices.

Good luck with your search!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

1. DAY/ALL-PURPOSE
    L'eau D'Issey -- winner with the ladies! -- can be used as "nightlife" choice as well. my favorite aquatic.
    Sean John Unforgivable -- Creed's MI, remixed by P Diddy!
    Gucci Pour Homme II -- elegant all-rounder that is centered around a tea note
    Bvlgari Aqua - distinctive, unique, masculine.

2. NIGHT/EVENING
    Gucci Envy -- bold. sadly, this does not work very well on my skin
    Mont Blanc Starwalker - woody and really spicy. smells generic at first -- but it's pretty good.
    YSL M7 -- an acquired taste. please try before you buy!
    Masaki Matsushima Mat; Very Male - Liquorice, coffee, anise.

Terre d'Hermes -- mature! smells like oranges on a wooden bench. 5 stars!
    Gucci Pour Homme I -- incense!
    Commes Des Garcons 2MAN -- like Gucci Pour Homme I, but less churchey

4. ... and a bottle of Unbound to use when you're bored

All these can be found at internet discount sites. Like the above post said, Amazon do not have the best prices. Try www.beautyencounter.com , www.scentedmonkey.com , or www.scentiments.com

i wud go by the list Petruccijc suggested, it pretty much sums it up.

heres wht i wud suggest to be more specific...

#1Chrome
    #2 LUI
    #3 Burberry London

all the above frgrances meet your criteria and has terrific lasting and are value for money kinds...

To these excellent suggestions, I would like to add:

1. Aqua de Bulgari pour Homme Marine

2. Armani Code

3. Platinum Égoïste

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    1. DAY/ALL-PURPOSE
    L'eau D'Issey -- winner with the ladies! -- can be used as "nightlife" choice as well. my favorite aquatic.
    Sean John Unforgivable -- Creed's MI, remixed by P Diddy!
    Gucci Pour Homme II -- elegant all-rounder that is centered around a tea note
    Bvlgari Aqua - distinctive, unique, masculine.

2. NIGHT/EVENING
    Gucci Envy -- bold. sadly, this does not work very well on my skin
    Mont Blanc Starwalker - woody and really spicy. smells generic at first -- but it's pretty good.
    YSL M7 -- an acquired taste. please try before you buy!
    Masaki Matsushima Mat; Very Male - Liquorice, coffee, anise.

Terre d'Hermes -- mature! smells like oranges on a wooden bench. 5 stars!
    Gucci Pour Homme I -- incense!
    Commes Des Garcons 2MAN -- like Gucci Pour Homme I, but less churchey

4. ... and a bottle of Unbound to use when you're bored

All these can be found at internet discount sites. Like the above post said, Amazon do not have the best prices. Try www.beautyencounter.com , www.scentedmonkey.com , or www.scentiments.com
    I like this list, specifically I would say:
    1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Gucci Envy
    3. Terre d'Hermes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal030 (Abridged) View Post
    I am basically looking for 3 different colognes that I can use for 3 different situations.

#1. I need a light, daily cologne, right now I am wanting to side with Cool Water, as it seems to be rather popular, the ladies seem to like it quite a bit from what I have seen in reviews on the net, which is definitely a nice bonus, especially at my age, and I can get a fair amount for a fair price, 4.2 oz for $37 or 2.5 oz for $30.

#2. A more night appropriate cologne that is more of the oriental and/or flowery type. It would be preferable if it were appropriate for night life events such as parties, as I am unsure how well Cool Water or a like fragrance would do for that situation. If its known to be one that the ladies tend to like that is all the better but is in no way a requirement. If someone knows of a good one for night life for someone my age, that is not oriental/flowery feel free to add that in your suggestions as well.

#3. A more robust, hardier, manly scent, perhaps with woody notes to it. I don't care for the brutal or strong scents however. This would probably replace my Jovan Musk as a good example. Its hardy but its not overpowering, its a "stable" scent. Like I said I am bad with fragrance descriptors right now.

Not terribly long ago I bought a trio of scents to get myself started. 21 bottles later I believe I got two out of the three right.

For a daily cologne, I chose Sean John Unforgivable. Not particularly because of the name, but because I was completely spellbound by it. I loved it. I still love it.

For a more sophisticated cologne, I chose Armani Code, which is somewhat oriental but still has a lot of gourmand (food) notes, and depending on your skin may be differing levels of sweetness.

Instead of a heavier scent, I went lighter and chose Clinique Happy. I almost never wear it now. If, instead, I was looking for a woody, manly scent, given what I know now I would go with either Juicy Couture Dirty English or Gucci Pour Homme (the original, not Gucci II).

I'll give you some other options, though. This is a fun sort of thing to get into, there's a whole world you've not yet explored.

(The scents below are things I've personally tried, as much as I'd like to recommend stuff I've never myself used I'd rather shoot you straight)

#1 (daily use): Sean John Unforgivable, Ralph Lauren Polo Blue (or Double Black depending on your taste), Ralph Lauren Romance Silver, Thierry Mugler Cologne, and just maybe Baldessarini by Hugo Boss. I'm not sure if it's something I'd wear daily but you can find it in a lot of stores so try that one. Those are all pretty easy to find.

#2 (night/party): Yves Saint Laurent Kouros (someone had to say it), Armani Code, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Montana Parfum d'Homme (this is the little brother of a very rare cologne by Aramis called Havana, not carbon copies but close and would do well at night), Thierry Mugler A*Men, maybe Hanae Mori HM. Almost all of these have love-hate relationships with many Basenoters so try before you buy. You need to do that with all of them of course but maybe these moreso than the others. Some people swear by Dior Homme for nights out, I never really got it.

#3 (manly/woody): Juicy Couture Dirty English, Gucci Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent M7 (you may have better luck with it than I did), Hermes Terre d'Hermes, Quorum by Puig (hell, a lot of the 80s powerhouses are going to be prime candidates for this section), Baldessarini Ambre (not to be confused with the Baldessarini in #1) I find to be a pretty manly scent, it's more boozy than woody though.

That's about all I got, let us know how it turns out.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 16th May 2008 at 08:40 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I like this list, specifically I would say:
    1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Gucci Envy
    3. Terre d'Hermes
    I vouch for this list as well, was going to type a reply but after going through his list,
    its pretty redundant.

Issey Miyake Intense is also a very interesting fragrance that could be used in night time.
    Definetely try Gucci PH 2, I still hold belief that it is one of the most underrated fragrance on BN. It manages to smell "just right" not too overbearing, not too light. It really is a very unique fragrance that works well for office/class and a lounge bar (not club/dance floor).

1. I'll second L'eau D'issey. Try Davidoff Adventure (fresh, fruity, excellent longevity).
    2. M7 just won Basenotes Best Fragrance for Evening Wear. Also see this poll.
    3. Terre d'Hermes without a doubt.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.