Code of Conduct

Default Is Terre d'Hermes too old for me?

I would like to begin by apologizing for creating thread number 37 bazillion about this fragrance

With that out of the way, I tried Terre d'Hermes the other day. I enjoyed it and am planning on probably buying a bottle soon. However, the other day, I asked my father what he thought of it, asking if it would be more suitable for someone older than myself (I am only 23). He replied instantly that it made me smell like an old man.

What do you guys think about the age range for this scent? I have trouble decided what constitutes an "older scent" so input is appreciated. Before you guys lay the whole "you should wear what you want and not what other people like" thing on me: I know. I am just asking for opinions, and taking them with a grain of salt.

What age range do you think is best for this scent?

Any younger guys wear this one?
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 16th May 2008 at 03:48 AM.

Default Re: Is Terre d'Hermes too old for me?

Follow your nose. If you tried it and you loved it and you are seriously thinking of buying it, that should tell you something.

More relevant to your question as posed: I once smelled it on a teenager and I thought it suited him.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Blog Entries

I'm 20 and I don't associate it with any particular age group, and I wear it fairly regularly.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I do feel it's more of a mature scent, but I don't see it as "old man". You might want to think of it as a fragrance when you want to accent that aspect.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    I do feel it's more of a mature scent, but I don't see it as "old man". You might want to think of it as a fragrance when you want to accent that aspect.
    Yea, I am actually going to be trying to hit on a girl 5 years older than me tomorrow, so maybe that is a good thing to consider

It's more mature in that it doesn't smell like cotton candy but other than that, it's universally great I've had it for about a year not (i'm 26) and i am still completely wowed by it. It's really one of the best designer scents. Wear it and wear lots.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Sur la Plage

If you like it, wear it!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I've heard so much about this fragrance... is it possibly so wonderful and special? I've never smelt it but from the reviews I read it seems to be one of the most wonderful scents ever...
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I'm 19 and TdH is in my regular rotation. Never had a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    I've heard so much about this fragrance... is it possibly so wonderful and special? I've never smelt it but from the reviews I read it seems to be one of the most wonderful scents ever...
    The opening is very nice, for about 30 seconds or so, but from there on it goes down the hill. Fast...
    Last edited by Domingo; 16th May 2008 at 07:07 AM.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    The opening is very nice, for about 30 seconds or so, but from there on it goes down the hill. Fast...
    I am exactly the opposite. I can take or leave the opening. The mid and base notes are what I am after. I love the earthiness, with a hint of cedar off to the back. The opening has been called grapefruit, but I just smell fruity pebbles tossed into the fresh soil of the later notes.

Back on topic, I am relieved to hear from some younger proponents of this fragrance. I was going to wear it anyway, now I can just rationalize it better
    Last edited by Big_Scooter; 16th May 2008 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    If you like it, wear it!

Thank You.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

One of the great things about TDH is its versatility. It's certainly not an "old man" fragrance. In fact, if I were forced to pick an age group for it (which in itself is purely arbitrary and not necessary) I would say it's perfect for a younger gent looking for a sporty casual fragrance which stands out from the rest of the generic fresh sport dross his mates are wearing.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Agreed-- if you like it and keep thinking about it, just get it.

Given the new Dirty English is pretty earthy and woody and marketed to the under 35 crowd - I think Terre d'Hermes would not be particularly "old." And the Cool-water descendants are now approaching 20 years old - so many men wearing Cool Water and its derivatives are getting older, so the marine accord will be the hallmark of the "old man scent" shortly!

But if you like it - get it - 99% of the people will not agree with your father. Plus no harm in seeming mature when you are a guy!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 16th May 2008 at 08:48 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Just get it. You're a guy, so smelling mature is a good thing. I also don't think the most notable thing about Td'H is its maturity. You'll just smell great and different (well, not sure about different, now that it won all the goddam awards).
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

I wouldn't think of it as a more mature scent myself... but who can put the smell of rotting oranges in an age group?
    My limited 'drobe: Boss In Motion, Armani Code, Concentre d'Orange Verte, Paul Smith Story.

Nope.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    What do you guys think about the age range for this scent? I have trouble decided what constitutes an "older scent" so input is appreciated.

What age range do you think is best for this scent?

Any younger guys wear this one?
    I love, love, love TdH, and was happily surprised to see it win big. I agree with the term "mature" - it's not age per se, it's state of mind. It's a classy scent. I tend to wear it on days when I want to come across more refined. My teenage son (who's taller than me!) could even wear it with nice clothes and my wife's friends would think it was wonderful. Go for it!

Buy it, love it. And if you get the deodorant, or spray it underarm, you can get this deep harmonic that makes the wood note darker and richer. At least, my pits seem to do that. (Or maybe it's just bringing out the rotten orange! ;-)

I'm 23 and wear both this and Aramis JHL without any problems. Maybe someone should stick me in the nursing home. If it smells good to you, wear it. It shouldn't matter if others think it is intended for an older audience, classified as feminine, or anything else.

I'm 21 and I tried to love this, based on the glowing praise and every review.

21 year old girls went running for the hills. I've never had that reaction before, besides Creed Original Santal and Kouros.

Ug. Worst case scenario, I will wear a fragrance that I enjoy and other people tolerate. But I didn't enjoy this, nor did anyone else around me, so I had to get rid of it.

Maybe it's an age thing. I'll give it another shot when I hit 30. I'm young, I should be full of energy. This stuff weighed me down.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

I tried a sample of it today and could only stand it for about two hours, then I washed it off. All I got was sour/rancid orange. I'm beginning to think that many if not most men's frags are designed to work only if you sweat at least a little bit. Otherwise, they get "stuck," and don't develop properly. This is another frag like Kouros for me. One is like a men's room at the zoo and the other is like the garbage dump behind an orange juice stand. By contrast, I sprayed one spray of Carlo Corinto after washing the Td'H off and it was fine, even though some BNers have said that it's too strong for them. CC seems to be "linear," and so for someone who doesn't sweat much, the only thing to consider is how many sprays you need.

I tried it a little over a year ago and hated it. After that I read that it was a much better scent in warmer months so I gave it another shot today. It did indeed smell much better. I still don't consider it bottle worthy, but at least I can see why others do. Definitely a scent that needs heat and sweat to thrive...