Code of Conduct

Thread: 8 sprays of..

Default 8 sprays of..

Yatagan. Oh lord, what did I do? Please forgive me my trangressions, but the initial 4 sprays (1 to each arm, 2 to the chest) were so good, I needed more.

I received a sample of this a couple months back and wore one spray of it once and wrote it off as too masculine, to dry, too.. something. I finally got the courage to try it again, perhaps partially inspired by a new haircut and a new confidence, and I here i sit enveloped in one of the most amazing clouds of scent. Tonight I work alone so I needn't feel guilty for any watering eyes or coughing fits - no, instead I'll just sit back and enjoy a fragrance from another era. The wormwood note in the opening is extremely deep and yet refreshing and uplifting. The dry patchouli and leather in the heart, coupled with a hint of cade like smoke and the smell of pine sap. The full drydown I still await, although I can't say eagerly only because I am so enraptured in the minute by minute unfolding of this scent.

There can be no doubt that the scent is unabashedly masculine, but I don't think it is so in the same manner as Quorom, Route du Vetiver, Polo Green, and other notorious masculine scents. There is a certain classiness, dare I call it elegance, even, that is woven through this scent. The aforementioned scents are more akin to a Scottish Claymore or Flamberge, large, heavy, uncompromising, swung not for speed or finesse but only with force in mind - while a Yatagan, while achieving the same end (laying the opposition to waste ), does so with elegant curves and graceful strokes. Yes, this fragrance is properly named. I need a bottle.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 16th May 2008 at 08:54 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Default Re: 8 sprays of..

I pick it up every now and then wondering if this'll be the time it clicks with me. Hasn't happened yet. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to put it up there with Quorum in the manliness department, except where Quorum turns somewhat floral Yatagan turns the other direction as slightly bitter.

Just about the only thing I wear that many sprays of is Romance Silver because a) it's pretty much as inoffensive as a scent's going to get, and b) because I can't get any damn sillage on it any other way. I've come close with TdH and Havana.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Hmm, I could see that many sprays of Romance Silver, but TdH? Any more than 4 of TdH and it's headache territory.

That's a peculiar thing about Yatagan. It would follow that such a powerhouse scent would have extreme sillage as most do, but it really seems to sit close to the skin. I really don't feel uncomfortable or that I've seriously overapplied despite using 8 sprays.

I'll have to revisit Quorom though, as I, admittedly, have only given it a cursory sniff here and there. I don't remember it getting floral, but then I don't know if I ever let it develop long enough before washing it off. Perhaps something has clicked and this is just a coming of age for me and the ultra-masculine scents (although I've liked and worn Salvador Dali for years now.)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Floral's really not the word I'm looking for, but compared to Yatagan it's much, much sweeter in complexion. My projection on Yatagan is pretty strong, with Quorum it's just obscene. I wish my other stuff had the carrying power of Quorum.

And yeah, I think I've done 6 sprays of TdH a few times, and I still don't get any comments either way on the stuff. I just have bad luck with it, lol. The road that TdH and I have travelled hasn't been particularly great but peer pressure is such a bitch.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

What do you mean exactly? simply that you are trying to like it because it has garnered such acclaim around here? That's been my story with TdH - every time I sample it I start out thinking "Ah yes, this IS nice," but then an hour later it's nothing but an anemic lemon dishsoap accord on me. There are some hints of cedar and vetiver, but there's this 'gap' between the notes that seems to further emphasize it's syntheticness. I guess I'd compare it to listening to music through a bandpass filter that is filtering from about 500hz to 3khz at -6db. (ok, random analogy I know . Forgive me, it's late!)

I really wish I got a thicker, denser composition with more earthy elements shining through. I want to love it but each time I wear it I'm more disappointed than the last. Maybe Ellena's creations aren't for me?

On the flipside, it seems like each time I wear a mans scent by Caron, I fall deeper in love with it. I'm going to have to explore The Third Man and Pour Un Homme.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 16th May 2008 at 12:13 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

Well, I've had issues with all of the Ellena scents I've tried, for different reasons. Hermessence Vetiver Tonka, for instance, is one of the most amazing scents I've ever experienced but two hours later I sort of wonder where it went. At that price point there's just no way I'll buy it.

I think in my initial review of TdH (out of a sample) I compared it to a slightly dirty lemon Pledge and then four hours later it was gone. I get the vetiver (which I'm normally not a fan of but is somewhat palatable here), I don't really get the exotic woods, or at least not for more than a very fleeting moment so I can't see how others around me are going to smell them. I know what I'm looking for and I have difficulty finding it.

That said, when I was in the Sephora in Louisville the guy I was talking to was wearing TdH and doing so very well. I made the mistake of asking him about it and got even more of an earful about it than I normally get on here. Still, if it wasn't for that encounter with someone else wearing it I'd have probably passed on it entirely at this point.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

If you respect and admire Yatagan .... you must try Krizia Uomo & Vendetta .. you won't be dissapointed !

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43