Code of Conduct

Default fragrance counter snob

I need suggestions for a fragrance that is not perfumey. I hate anything that is spicy, sugary, powdery, strong or chemical smelling. I have been trying by process of elimination and so far eliminated most fragrances. I like freesia, orange flower, fruits and greens but they need to be light & clean, almost watered down. Please tell me it is possible to find this combination in something that will last for a few hours. Ive heard that oils last longer but doesnt that mean they are even more potent than perfume? I just want to smell clean and refreshed during my day without polluting the air quality.

Blog Entries

Default Re: fragrance counter snob

Yes, perfume oil is more concentrated and takes less to get the job done compared to an EdT. Women's fragrance isn't my thing but Light Blue has some rather nice fruits and orange, but I don't recall it being very green. I'll defer to the experts on here.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Aside from suggesting an actual scent, may I say you should look for fragrances in a "cologne" presentation. This is the most dilute form of perfume and it may be the 'watered down' answer you are seeking! Many scents are also available in eau de toilette formulation, which is also less potent than pure parfum, extrait, or even eau de parfum.

As far as the fragrance itself, hit the directory and start sampling!!!

I'm not sure how clean, but if you want to smell perfumey-clean, rather than freshly dry cleaned clean, i'd suggest No 19 by Chanel in EdT, a soft floral, quite green

I just purchased D&G Light Blue for my wife. My wife had not worn fragrances from a bottle for as long as I can remember, so I had to get her something that would be light. We tried Light Blue in a store and she liked it so I got her a bottle. She has been wearing since Mother's Day.

Here are the notes:

Top Notes
    * Granny Smith Apple, Sicilian Cedar, Bluebells.

Middle Notes
    * Jasmine, White Rose, Bamboo.

Base Notes
    * Cedarwood, Amber, Musks.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Aside from suggesting an actual scent, may I say you should look for fragrances in a "cologne" presentation. ...As far as the fragrance itself, hit the directory and start sampling!!!
    Yeah!

And welcomewelcome!! If you're serious, stick around and let us know your experiences and reactions. Help the next newbie that comes along with the same questions.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

It sounds as if you would like something floral but in dilute concentrations. I liked the Cologne strength suggestions, but Eau de Toilette would be a bit better.

Hermes has a couple of scents that may be up your alley, none are "perfumey" to my nose which I interpret as aldehydic (Chanel No 5's start), or powdery (Oakmoss or Rooty Iris) and none are that candlike sweetness that makes you want to see the dentist after smelling it!

The Jardin series There are 3 now -
    1. Un Jardin sur le Nil has a citrus note in there but is not sweet. Fresh flowering garden/orange grove. Warm and fresh!
    2. Un Jardin En Mediterranee has citrus and floral and a wonderful vegetal odor reminding you of a fresh, warm summer day in a garden.
    3. Un Jardin Apres La Mousson is wetter, and Starts off spicy and dries down in about 30 minutes to a cross between the first two.

You also may want to try a classic cologne and Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert is worth a try - it is "unisex" but usually on the men's counter for some odd reason. It has citrus that evolves into other notes - lasts only a few hours, but it is a great scent on a woman.

Guerlain
    may be a good place - they have their Aqua Allegoria series - which are simple and clean - I lost count of how many they have - I believe they can be found in Sephora. They tend to be simple, last a good amount of time, and are all light and fresh. In fact, this may be exactly what you are after! None are too sweet, and aldehydic or "perfumey" and all are light and fresh - quite uplifting!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 17th May 2008 at 02:09 PM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

I would suggest:

Set Sail St. Barts Tommy Bahama
    Iceberg Twice
    Givenchy Greenergy
    Richard James Saville Row
    ADP Blu Mediterraneo
    Jo Malone Grapefruit
    Clinique Happy for Men
    Montale Amandes Orientales
    Nautica Voyage

Mostly masculine fragrances, I consider them unisex, but nonetheless, good stuff. Sample, Sample, Sample.

Good luck to you and welcome to the forum
    Last edited by silverbullet; 17th May 2008 at 04:36 PM.

I'm no expert and my nose is not yet refined enough to detect chemical-y scents, but I also love fresh, green, clean un-perfumey scents. The first things I thought of, given you also said "almost watered down" were:
    Jo Malone Orange Blossom
    Jo Malone Verbenas of Provence (lasting a few hours questionable, though).

After reading the title of the thread I thought you're going to tell us about some SA at the frag counter who behaved like a snob

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Welcome to Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    Hermes has a couple of scents that may be up your alley, none are "perfumey" to my nose which I interpret as aldehydic (Chanel No 5's start), or powdery (Oakmoss or Rooty Iris) and none are that candlike sweetness that makes you want to see the dentist after smelling it!

The Jardin series There are 3 now -
    1. Un Jardin sur le Nil has a citrus note in there but is not sweet. Fresh flowering garden/orange grove. Warm and fresh!
    2. Un Jardin En Mediterranee has citrus and floral and a wonderful vegetal odor reminding you of a fresh, warm summer day in a garden.
    3. Un Jardin Apres La Mousson is wetter, and Starts off spicy and dries down in about 30 minutes to a cross between the first two.

You also may want to try a classic cologne and Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert is worth a try - it is "unisex" but usually on the men's counter for some odd reason. It has citrus that evolves into other notes - lasts only a few hours, but it is a great scent on a woman.
    I totally agree here. Un Jardin sur le Nil, along with Eau des Merveilles and Elixir des Merveilles, wowed me from first sniff, and I can't stop smelling the paper strips till now. They also seem to match your criteria very much.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Blog Entries

I didn't think of Un Jardin sur le Nil, I'd recommend that one as well. En Mediterranee is a little more masculine to my nose, and I haven't tried the new one.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I recommend Montale White Musk. A soft fresh floral fragrance that is very clean and... well, white. smells like a clean inocent baby.

I'll second Silverbullet's suggestion of the Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo range - they have 3 or 4 fragrances that are all very gentle - there's a fig one (Fico di Amalfi), an orange one (Arancia di Capri) and an almond one (Mandorlo di Sciilia). Indeed, you might like to tentatively sniff the famous Acqua di Parma edt - it shouldn't scare the horses.
    I'll also second Bromo's suggestions of the Hermes Jardin series - they're all sheer but they last well. Mediterranee has a lovely leafy green 'fig' note that might well appeal to you; Nil has a mango element that is richer and more fruity and I haven't had chance to smell Mossoun yet but I'm looking forward to it.
    I wonder if one of the most recent Guerlain Aqua Allegorias might be exactly what you're looking for: Laurier Reglisse. Here's a review of it:
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...0/3668164.html
    If you like the 'fig' note, there are some classic examples out there - just let us know and we'll all pile in with suggestions, or you can look things up by note on the directory here. The 'classic' fig is Diptyque's Phylosokos (which I've spelled wrongly, I'm sure), if you want to do a 'nose check' to see if that's what you're liking.

I don't know if you find them too chemically or powdery, but the other soft soft smells that come to mind are Philosophy's Pure Grace and Donna Karan's Cashmere Mist. And personally, I love Lorenzo Viloresi's Teint de Neige and Editions de Frederic Malle L'Eau d'Hiver, but I think they might be a powder overload for you.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I am encouraged to have some new things to try! There are many suggestions here I truly appriciate, thank you for the guidance. The epitamy of my desire is a reality in the form of a spa tonic made by Borghesse. I worked for a wealthy woman about 10 years ago & would sneak spritzes. So refreshing, pure and clear; instant calm. If only that would last! I was thrilled when I smelled it again on paper with "Shi" but the instant I sprayed it onto my skin, it morphed into something completly different. So sad, I almost had it......

Quote Originally Posted by jf799568 View Post
    The epitamy of my desire is a reality in the form of a spa tonic made by Borghesse.
    While I have never heard of it ... why not just get that tonic? You don't have to try to find something else "close to it" if you get "it."

I found a link to someone that seems to sell something with a similar name, that would not be much different in price. Here is a Link
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 18th May 2008 at 01:40 AM.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

A female relative has the same attitude, and found that Bvlgari (for women) in the EDT form worked best.

I checked Borghese, they don't make the face spray I was in love with. However my experience of instant calm and pure pleasure sneaking spritzes all those yrs ago was confirmed when I read the study about "Acqua di Vita Complex" in their products. Endorphins are actually released whrn you smell it! The Profumo di Montecatini with elemi oil & freesia seems to be exactly the scent experience I was trying so hard to duplicate. I am enamoured with the possibility!!! How did I miss this? Thank you BROMO33333! I am also going to try Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline, Chanel Cristalle, Diptyque Ofresia, Ineke Balmy Days & Sundays, Guerlain AA's Pivione Magnifica and Foliflora. What a relief to have my nose in the right direction.

Hooray! delighted you've found a route to the scent you're longing for, but also glad we were able to suggest some things that you like the sound of and fancy trying. Looking forward to seeing your thoughts about them!

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

You might want to take a look at what Biotherm and Clarins have to offer too.

I tried the new issey miyake summer today. I keep sniffing as deeply as possible, and each time I do it feels like my airway is functioning better. Very theraputic, light & subtle. It's been 6 hours and I smell like I'm in an upscale spa, soaking in a luxurious bath. They say it has rosewater, pear, peony, carnation, osmanthus and "precious woods". I say it is very close to the borghese but without fading.
    If anything it has gained potency in the dry down. So de-light-full!

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    I'll second Silverbullet's suggestion of the Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo range ... there's a fig one (Fico di Amalfi), ...
    I think Fico di Amalfi is the best of this lot. It doesn't last forever, but it's really good.

Tried today Guerlain's herba fresca & love it after the super strong soapy note (what am I smelling?) mellowed. Tried Jardin sur de Nil, but will try again since I think it was ruined when I sprayed fresh hespirdes too close, yuch. Is there a word for when a scent clogs or stops your nose from smelling normally? You know when a smell is so strong it permeates until a cleansing smell is introduced. I have also noticed that my chemistry makes scents sweeter and quite spicy. I think I could pull off a mens fragrance that was not too heavy....

Oooh! try Guerlain's Vetiver for men. Fresh, cool and very nice.

As for nose-fatigue, some perfumeries have little pots of coffee beans lying round for you to sniff between perfumes, to 'reset' your nose. And someone here (I can't remember who - Tao, was it you?) who worked in fragrance sales said she was told at training that the nose can only cope with trying 4 fragrances at one sitting. (I have no idea if this is true. There are some wise and scientific heads on this board though who may well give you a definitive answer.)

Have you tried Mugler Cologne? Clean, green, and absolutely splendid. Almost like a barbershop, but there's something very different going on as well. Definitely worth trying.
    Last edited by Aerodyne; 3rd June 2008 at 11:41 PM.

Morning Star

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    ... someone here (I can't remember who - Tao, was it you?) who worked in fragrance sales said she was told at training that the nose can only cope with trying 4 fragrances at one sitting.
    You can test yourself by mixing up your current testing strips and trying to still identify the scents from memory. I've found that I can usually juggle about 8 fragrances at a time before having to "hit the beans". Be sure to swish the beans around too. The ones at the bottom have had less exposure to the air and provide more aroma.

Quote Originally Posted by jf799568 View Post
    I just want to smell clean and refreshed during my day without polluting the air quality.
    If you are worried about 'polluting' (?) air quality, I would suggest using a fragranced shower gel. That way you would be the only one able to discern your scent. I am curious about the choice of word; 'polluting', well anywho.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Try the Bulgari tea line!

I am a newbie too but still, have some suggestions. Sounds like you did not like Fresh Hesperides, but in general the Fresh line of fragrance is pretty light and clean. I love the Lemon Sugar. When I work overnights and hit a wall at 3 am where just want to put my head down and snooze, I spritz a little bit on and feel better...refreshed and invigorated! The Sugar Lychee is nice too, and neither of these "sugar" scents is cloyingly sweet. I also love Aqua Allegoria Pampelune (spelling?) which is a delightful grapefruit scent, though I've heard some people find it smells terrible on their skin. On me it smells like a ripe juicy grapefruit that is just at that moment being peeled. Wonderful!
    Good luck! I know that when I have asked for recommendations on this forum I've often gotten so many replies that I feel overwhelmed. I just tuck the information away, and digest/sample at my leisure. Have fun!

Hi - newer fellow explorer here... I tried a sample of Frederic Malle EN PASSANT, and it was a revelation. It's a very beautiful light veil of a fragrance that jumps off your skin and gently tickles your nose off and on for several hours. Or at least that's what it did for me. It has notes of lilac, cucumber, and wheat (of all things). I loved everything about it and there is a bottle of it in my future.

Bought the new Issey summer today! First purchase in years, yippie!! This weekend I wore Herba Fresca to a childs birthday and kept wishing I'd applied more of it. Other people should have been enjoying it too!
    The tea's from Bulgari & a Japanese guy (Mashikki M?) smelled great on paper. When applied they turned into bitter (i.e printed paper) and burned (i.e. factory smokestack). Oddly enough I fell in love with Always & Forever by Jessica Mc Clintock. It is a soft lily of the valley, gardenia, freesia, "blonde woods" & musk. It is sweet, a usual turnoff but a naturally floral sweet not artificial. There is a slight synthetic quality in the woods but I always walk through a spritz in the nude with EDP's anyway, so this would not be a problem to wear.
    I am hooked on the niche sites like beauty habit and the perfumed court for sample selection. Otherwise all I need is a couple hundred bucks and I've got a new hobby. Thanks to the community for your guidance. I dare to say I actually do like perfume...gasp!

Blog Entries

I think you might like O' de Lancome or L'Artisan's L'eau de L'Artisan. Both are light, fresh & herbal. Lancome is more citrus. Both are fun for summer.

O.K. I am happy to report I found Annick Goutal's Quel Amor. Starts like nail polish remover, quickly quieting to an innocent, clean, childlike sweetness. Unlike anything I've smelled before, so I can't even describe it. So soft. Will be ordering more from this house asap. Also was impressed with L'Artisan's Papillions. Flirty, fun and very young. A bit too sweet for the triple digit weather I've been enjoying but great for cooler days.

I had such high hopes for En Passant...flphh(balloon deflating). Smells expensive but still Grandma's powder & a chalky one. CB's gathering apples might be good for layering, all by itself I am a yankee candle, unoriginal. Comme de Garsons Lily is overindulgent and in your face. Would love at 1/3 the strength.

Sticking with my Issey summer & Herba Fresca for the sweltering desert heatwave. They fit the climate better than any I've found and stand up to hours spent in the elements.

A Light application of either Terre D Hermes OR Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta

Oh..and not forgetting CDG-Odeur 53
    Last edited by deck89; 24th June 2008 at 10:14 AM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Sounds like you and I have a strong aversion to "powdery" and "chemical-y." Thanks for the tip on Issey summer.

I'm a total noob, but I have a couple of thoughts. I second the suggestion of Jo Malone Orange Blossom. I happen to love Jo Malone White Jasmine and Mint--clean and light--but it sure doesn't last long on me. I don't mind--I just keep spraying. I found Jo Malone's Grapefruit to turn powdery on me, but that might be just a body chemistry thing.