Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: fragrance counter snob

Bought the new Issey summer today! First purchase in years, yippie!! This weekend I wore Herba Fresca to a childs birthday and kept wishing I'd applied more of it. Other people should have been enjoying it too!
    The tea's from Bulgari & a Japanese guy (Mashikki M?) smelled great on paper. When applied they turned into bitter (i.e printed paper) and burned (i.e. factory smokestack). Oddly enough I fell in love with Always & Forever by Jessica Mc Clintock. It is a soft lily of the valley, gardenia, freesia, "blonde woods" & musk. It is sweet, a usual turnoff but a naturally floral sweet not artificial. There is a slight synthetic quality in the woods but I always walk through a spritz in the nude with EDP's anyway, so this would not be a problem to wear.
    I am hooked on the niche sites like beauty habit and the perfumed court for sample selection. Otherwise all I need is a couple hundred bucks and I've got a new hobby. Thanks to the community for your guidance. I dare to say I actually do like perfume...gasp!

Blog Entries

I think you might like O' de Lancome or L'Artisan's L'eau de L'Artisan. Both are light, fresh & herbal. Lancome is more citrus. Both are fun for summer.

O.K. I am happy to report I found Annick Goutal's Quel Amor. Starts like nail polish remover, quickly quieting to an innocent, clean, childlike sweetness. Unlike anything I've smelled before, so I can't even describe it. So soft. Will be ordering more from this house asap. Also was impressed with L'Artisan's Papillions. Flirty, fun and very young. A bit too sweet for the triple digit weather I've been enjoying but great for cooler days.

I had such high hopes for En Passant...flphh(balloon deflating). Smells expensive but still Grandma's powder & a chalky one. CB's gathering apples might be good for layering, all by itself I am a yankee candle, unoriginal. Comme de Garsons Lily is overindulgent and in your face. Would love at 1/3 the strength.

Sticking with my Issey summer & Herba Fresca for the sweltering desert heatwave. They fit the climate better than any I've found and stand up to hours spent in the elements.

A Light application of either Terre D Hermes OR Acqua Di Parma Colonia Assoluta

Oh..and not forgetting CDG-Odeur 53
    Last edited by deck89; 24th June 2008 at 10:14 AM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Sounds like you and I have a strong aversion to "powdery" and "chemical-y." Thanks for the tip on Issey summer.

I'm a total noob, but I have a couple of thoughts. I second the suggestion of Jo Malone Orange Blossom. I happen to love Jo Malone White Jasmine and Mint--clean and light--but it sure doesn't last long on me. I don't mind--I just keep spraying. I found Jo Malone's Grapefruit to turn powdery on me, but that might be just a body chemistry thing.