Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WINNER Announced-Fathers Day Fragrance Contest-WINNER Announced.

Hello Basenotes Family

Well Fathers Day is fast approaching and in Honour of Fathers, Mentors, Coaches,Teachers, Role Models, Uncles or any Male that has helped influence and shape your life, we are having this contest.

All you have to do is post:

What is/was your father's or any of the above's favourite fragrance?

I did not have a relationship with my Father, basically I saw him on Birthdays, Fathers Day and Christmas. But I did have positive Male Role Models in my life. I have to single out my last year of Elementary School Teacher. His name was Mr. Copeland and he was from Scotland. This man was strict and disciplined and spoke 'Positive' into my life and helped affirm me as a Male. Because of his influence I went from an average, mediocre student to the top student in the whole school.

My fathers favourite fragrance was Versailles pour Homme.

All the posts will be put in a hat and the Winner will be announced Wednesday 18th June, 2008

The winner will receive a $100.00 Gift Card from Aedes. If the winner is from outside North America than I will make sure that you get something comparable.

Oh.....Stay tuned for the Second Basenotes Fun Quiz which will be presented in a few months.

The very best to all of you.

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 18th June 2008 at 09:18 PM.
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Default Re: Fathers Day Fragrance Contest

Otto, thank you once again for the ray of sunshine you bring here.

My father wore OLD SPICE
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 17th May 2008 at 06:07 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

mine only wore Right Guard deoderant.

Quote Originally Posted by chasefairfax View Post
    mine only wore Right Guard deoderant.
    Really laughing out loud...Aahahahahahahahahahah
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Basenotes Institution

Dad wore a few fragrances, the one that sticks out the most is British Sterling. Perhaps only second to Wild Country by Avon.

My dad always splashed his cologne on his handkerchiefs that he kept in his pocket. I have many memories, as a child, or Dad hading me his handkerchief to wipe my nose or my face - and the smell of his cologne in that fabric filling my nose.

Great thread Otto - and how extremely generous of you to coordinate this little contest.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

My Dad. A pompous, rigid, strict, temperamental yet altruistic man. He's self employed and has been through loads of rubbish, and has been through fantastic times, yet has always kept his family happy. I respect him tons, love him to bits (even though I may not show it) and realise that he really does care. I wish he could connect with me more, but he's always busy, and when he's free, he's doing other stuff for the family business. The odd time at gatherings, parties and weekends that my real dad does come through, he's that man, but with a compassionate, loving, interesting and truly genuine side, I really do wish this side came through more often.

My dad uses AdP Colonia, Davidoff Cool Water and Chanel Pour Monsieur. He also sometimes indulges with some samples from my sample bowl, he thought they were all 'masculine' until he applied some of a little decant of Carnal Flower. Hehe.

My Dad was an Old Spice man.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I blame my fathers for my enthusiasm for colognes.
    He used stuff from English LAther, Jovan Sex Appeal to Chanel No. 5.

My dad uses Old Spice shaving cream, but wears no cologne (my mom wears Mitsouko).

My maternal grandfather, however, used something wonderful (or at least I thought it was) that smelled of sandalwood. I never did find out what it was.

My dad wore Aramis. I think I posted the story once before, but here goes.

When I was 17, I had a nervous breakdown and had to go into the hospital psychiatric ward for a few weeks. I'd gotten into a huge fight with my parents, so they though it best to put me there. It was scary. I was the only young person there-- everyone else was older. I had to fight to get my own room because I didn't want to have a roommate. There was this one creepy guy who would always wander into other people's rooms in the middle of the night (and at mealtime, he would only eat bread that he'd wadded up into a ball first) and I was terrified of him. It was a really bad time.

Then one day, this cute girl who was my age was admitted to the ward. I was embarassed because I wanted to impress her, but I felt a bit emasculated with my circumstances. I was telling this to my dad over the phone. The next day he showed up for a visit. He handed me a little bag and inside the bag was his bottle of Aramis. He told me that I could keep it and wear it for the remainder of my stay. So for the next week and a half, I dabbed some on everyday, and it helped with the incredible homesickness. I didn't really make much of an impression with the girl-- she was transferred just a few days after she got there-- but it was OK. It was just such a thoughtful effort on my dad's part to bring me his Aramis, and in a scary place, just wearing it gave me a feeling like he was watching over my shoulder. I love my dad. He and I get along great these days. We never fight.

My dad also wore things like British Sterling, Racquet Club, Halston 1-12, Polo (which I swiped from his dresser frequently in high school) and some cologne from Avon that came in a bottle that looked like a pistol that George Washington might have owned (I used to take it out in the yard and play cops and robbers with it, then return it to my dad's chest of drawers before he got home from work). Sometimes I would buy him colognes like Pi and Joop!(before I discovered Basenotes, lol) but he'd never wear them. It seems his holy grail was simply Aramis. It suits him though.

I did recently let him try my Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée and he loved it. A bottle of that may be in his future.

My dad and I don't get on very well, but I did have one very positive male figure who passed away a year and a month ago; and that was my maternal grandfather.

He was an Old Spice man. He'd give me some cologne every now and then to wear whenever I'd go out. I still keep one bottle; although I don't wear it much. As stoic as I try to be, wearing it still gets the waterworks going.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

My father wears Kiton Men currently. I don't see him alot but when I do, this is what I smell. You are a kind soul Otto, all the best!

Stetson & Skin Bracer (byyyyyyy Mennen!)

My father wears everything I don´t like enough in my own collection. This doesn´t mean he smells bad though - I HAVE thrown things away...

When I was a kid and he decided what to wear himself, he wore Jovan Musk.

My father doesn't/never did wear any fragrance. Actually, no one in my family does. I decided to enter the fragrance hobby because it was something different and to establish my individuality. One of my uncles told me on a New Year's Eve years ago to not just find a hobby, but a passion.

One of my bosses at my summer job wears Kouros outside in the heat. It works very well on him, even on the hottest days of summer!

I always emember my father soaking his handkerchief and applying a bit on himself out of this huge bottle of Guerlain Imperial

Thanks for this fathers day contest, Otto.

My father is still an Old Spice/Brut man. Occasionally I have seen him spray on a bit of Polo Green. I haven't been able to discern any particular fragrance smells on any of my previous bosses, although one of my uncles was partial to Van Cleef pour homme and Chanel Antaeus.
    -

My dad, the major positive influence in my life, wears Guerlain Vetiver.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Growing up, the smell of my dad was:

Dial gold soap
    Right Guard spray deodorant
    and last, but not least
    a liberal splashing of Brut.

He doesn't wear fragrance anymore, but Brut will always remind me of him.

Indie Guy ~ nice of you to share such a personal moment, very special!

I love that story Indy Guy. Thanks for telling us it.

My adored late Pa was a teacher and a community activist. He was too skint and too busy to really think about fragrance, though he always smelled good. He wore whatever we gave him for Xmas and birthdays, so there was a lot of Brut and I think one time even Denim (the mark of a man!), but he always returned to a baseline of Old Spice. He was 'old school' in a very good way: he always had a clean white cotton handkerchief in his pocket and he wore half-rimmed specs that he would peer over when I interrupted him doing his Guardian crossword. He reminded me of Badger from The Wind In The WIllows. He was one of those big, comforting men who made everything all right. I miss him so.

Lorenzo Villoresi's Incensi smells like my Pa's sneezes. I have no idea why.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 17th May 2008 at 09:43 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

My father's fragrance was alcohol.

Yea, that shaped me for sure.

But my violin teacher wore: Bois Du Portugal
    Last edited by supracuhz; 2nd June 2008 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supracuhz View Post
    My father's fragrance was alcohol.

Yea, that shaped me for sure.

Same here...

I have many fragrant memories of my dad's side of my family.

My dad doesn't wear fragrance often, except for the occasional spritz of Acqua di Gio from the bottle that I gave him once as some "training wheels" to re-introduce him to fragrances. When he was in high school, he wore Canoe by Dana to be "hip" just like all fo the other guys, as it was the Acqua di Gio of its time.

My uncle (who also happens to be my dad's brother) is known to go frugal on a lot of things. Naturally, he's an Old Spice man.

But my dad's father (my grandpa) had a good olfactory memory that I will never forget. He smelled like Dial Gold soap, Mennen Speed Stick original deodorant, and Dior's Eau Sauvage. The first two came off the Walgreens shelves, the latter from Marshall Field's, which is also where he bought a lot of his clothes. (After all, he lived in the Chicago area, where the Field's name is well-known, even after Macy's bought them out and axed the brand two years ago.) The mix of those smells created an olfactory experience that was, well... Grandpa. We had good memories of each other, and the Dial/Speed Stick/Eau Sauvage combination accentuated those memories. He died from prostate cancer a little over a decade ago, but the smell will always be in my mind.

From time to time, I still think about buying a bottle of Eau Sauvage just to remind me of him... maybe I'll bite the bullet for my birthday.
    Last edited by MFfan310; 2nd June 2008 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Corrected the kind of deodorant Grandpa used
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Very generous, Otto.

In my earliest memories, my Dad wore Old Spice. Later, I remember seeing Royall Bay Rhum in his cabinet. Nowadays he eschews such frivolity; he has become an ascented ascetic!
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

My dad's an emergency medicine physician / intensivist. He wore Halston Z-14 and Aramis for a long time. I don't know what he wears now. I know his patients used to love Z-14.

He taught me to hunt and fish, and introduced me to a wide variety of fine things.

My stepdad wore Boucheron PH, and all I remember is that it smelled like lemons and was loud as hell. He made it work fairly well though.
    Last edited by pluran; 17th May 2008 at 11:51 PM.

Oh Otto, this "contest" has brought out so many wonderful sharings! Fragaholics Anonymous!! Thanks so much.

The first Man in My Life was my Grandfather and he favored Bay Rhum too. They would go to the Bahamas every winter (by ship - that's how long ago)and he would bring back a year's supply. Daddy was one of nature's gentlemen - rose from dirt-poor beginnings to become the youngest judge on the Circuit Court of Appeals in Texas; was unfailingly courteous and bawdy and made me believe I was the prettiest, smartest little girl in the entire world and that I could accomplish anything I wanted to. Sigh.

My first ex-husband favored Canoé (but now Eau Sauvage) - my second ex-husband was a Brut - and my late wonderful husband favored Royal Copenhagen. Beloved son - following in Dad's scent-steps - is also a Sauvage man.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

It's been so long since my Dad passed, I'm not sure but I think if it was any thing, it was Mennen After Shave.

Almost all olfactory memories of him would include the odor of beer or liquor as some of you have mentioned.

Thanks for the chance Otto.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Sur la Plage

My father liked to wear cologne, but did not care what it was. So he wore whatever my mother, my sister, or I bought for him - Brut, Old Spice, Canoe, Chaps, Jade East, English Leather, Pierre Cardin, etc.

I do remember my mother being a big Dynasty fan and wearing Forever Krystle. So she bought my father Carrington to coordinate with her
    Last edited by petruccijc; 18th May 2008 at 06:46 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

My father's favourite fragrance is Givenchy Pi.

My stepfather's favorite scent for a zillion years was Equipage, and he still has a bottle in his medicine cabinet. Several years ago I bought him some Jaipur Homme and he received several compliments on it from ladies so he now wears that almost exclusively. I'm not sure he would ever accept the concept of a fragrance wardrobe.

I think my dad might have worn Old Spice aftershave at some point. But he doesn't wear any fragrance these days.

Indie_guy, thank you for sharing that story.

My dad has worn Eternity for several years. I can't recall any scent memories of what he might have worn before that. He applies it very sparingly (like father like daughter), and it's usually so subtle that I'm not even conscious of it.

I wish I knew what both of my grandfathers wore, because those would definitely be comfort scents to me now.

Blog Entries

My father only wears Aramis besides Oudh pure oils.

Old Spice all the way

Thank you Otto for such a wonderful contest! I'm really enjoying the stories and memories here.

My dad has pretty simple tastes, and he's not much of a fragrance man. He's young at heart, and has quite youthful looks as well. Being a hip, 'young' dad, if he'll wear anything it will be Lynx (Axe) spray deodorent. This is his main scent. What also reminds me of him are the chocolate or vanilla scented candles that he keeps in his apartment. He claims that he likes how they overpower any bad or musty odours around the place. The only fragrance I have ever seen around his place is a bottle of Joop (!!), and a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver. I noticed the Guerlain on a shelf in the bathroom and asked him about it. He didn't really seem to know what I was talking about so he mustn't have been using it. I talked a little about the fragrance and the house, though he didn't seem that interested. When I went back to his apartment the next time, the Guerlain Vetiver was no longer on that forgotten low shelf in the bathroom! Perhaps he is wearing it occasionally.
    Last edited by Tavorna; 18th May 2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks Otto for starting this thread. Loved reading all the stories!

My Dad occasionally wears Live Jazz... only because Mum likes it. Before that he wore something from that Lucky brand. Even before that I think Mum tried to get him to wear something (I found the evidence under the sink in the bathroom... including a dirty looking but barely touched bottle of Jovan Andron).

Otherwise he tends to refuse to smell things - like the day I got Fleurs de Bulgarie. "Look Dad, it's Creed! Smell it!", "No thanks, it looks like urine". I'm not quite sure how we are related
    Last edited by jillsy; 18th May 2008 at 02:41 AM.

My dad wears Bijan For Men and Azzaro Pour Homme. These are his signature scents, and he always has a bottle.

My father never wore fragrance - very much a shower and soap man. But I do remember a university lecturer who had an influence on my life who wore Azzaro pour Homme. He let me stay at his apartment when he was on sabbatical ( a wonderful liberating experience for a 21 yo). Everytime I see that bottle or smell Azzaro again, I think of him.

My father used to wear Pinaud Clubman, which my mother hated. I've also seen a bottle of Drakkar Noir. Now he is pretty strict on using Burberry London which, in my opinion, is the best choice yet.

as far as I know, my father has never worn perfume just AS and that was Pitralon, later other marks given by me and my sister as a birthday/ Christmas gift by Avon.

My dad used to wear Polo, until we started giving him more sophisticated scents such as Equipage, Habit Rouge and Guerlain Vetiver. He was also quite partial to Moschino's Uomo, now discontinued, which I used to track down for him before it became prohibitively expensive.

What a wonderful thread!

My father always wore Tuscany and Grey Flannel... and always in aftershave form. I tried to get him to use edt's but he never went for it. My sister used to always ask him to wear his "smellies" when we were little.

My family was divorced since I was in elementary school -- so nowadays I almost never see him. Before it was on birthdays, weekends, special occasions, and such that I saw him -- but not anymore. However, my "smell memory" told me that he always wore Polo. Honestly, I don't want to grow up to be like my dad. I mean -- he's a good person -- but I probably will never be using any Polo in this life. Romance silver, maybe. But definitely not Polo. The one thing he did influence me greatly is musically. He loves music. He always liked listening to jazz and other non-mainstream stuff -- which has made me want to explore all musical avenues. And that is also why my nickname is "Note."
    Last edited by moltening; 18th May 2008 at 06:41 AM.

I met my father as an adult, and when I did so, I was astonished to discover he was also an avid fragrance enthusiast (it must be genetic!)...

But since we met, for the last 15 years as we've come to know one another better, a staple Ive always associated with him is HABIT ROUGE.

My dad pretty much exclusively wears Chanel Antaeus. Every so often he'll put on Chanel PM.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

My dad doesn't care about fragrance, but he wears my Cool Water occasionally.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I only remember the scent of the orange industrial-strength hand soap my dad washed his hands with, after a hard day of toil at the ship yard. We were poor in those days, and the scent of that soap brings back memories of dad's struggle to put food on the table. But we never did without, thanks to him .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Way way back I can remember my dad using Old Spice - which I probably borrowed some too.

More recently he's been wearing a Givenchy (probably "Gentleman"). I actually gave him my Boss frangrance which I had grown tired of and more recently Gucci Pour Homme (which I bought new as a gift) - but I think he's been sticking to his Givenchy.

He gave me a half used bottle of Stetson the last time I visited them in Dallas. I threw that bottle away. I really didn't give it a fair chance I can see clearly now. I'm going to have to check out Stetson one more time!

My father wore Vitalis hair tonic. His characteristic scent was that together with Lark cigarettes.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

What lovely stories.

For my early years the most significant male figure in my life was my grandfather. He, like many others, wore Old Spice, but he was most attracted to the bottle! As a Navy man (and survivor of the Dunedin) he liked the ship (?Shooner is it?). He tried Brut a few times, but I suppose the lack of ship let it down!

In Janurary I visited my father for the first time in three years. I knew that he used to wear Royal Copenhagen in the early 80's, but he had since moved on to other Fragrances. I remembered that he wore RC so I took him a bottle.

He was quite thrilled, as he said he completely forgot about it.

Every time we talk on the phone now, he mentions how much he loves it and he thanks me for bringing that fragrance back to him.

Happy Father's Day, dad!

Smile Re: Fathers Day Fragrance Contest

My father wore Kanon for years, sometimes alternating with Pierre Cardin Cologne. I especially loved it when he wore the Kanon with a Cashmere pullover. I would hug him and get the best feeling. I thought ALL men smelled this great, and that all men SHOULD wear cashmere!
    One of my uncles, much younger than my father, wore English Leather, and I loved the way he smelled.
    My brother, in his youth, wore Drakkar Noir. Don't remember the smell, though..I guess it wasn't impressive.
    Fun to remember! Thanks Otto!

My father goes heavy on the Canoe EDT splash bottle. I could never get him into trying anything new. I would love to take him out for a sniff day but that would contest his manliness and we can't have that. I guess I'm going to have to deal with Canoe for the rest of my life...

My Dad wears Tzar and Pontaccio 21 & smells yummy :-D

Both grandfathers wore Old Spice, I think mostly because us grandkids gave each of them a set for Christmas. I definitely can tell the current version is not the same--it smells more "modern".

My dad wore Brut for a long time, but then switched to more "fancy" stuff later in life. For years he wore Aramis 900. Now, he wears musk--I don't know the name but it is a sweet musk somewhat like Kiehl's without the urinous top notes.

I bought Brut recently, and it smells different than the old version also.

My mom hates all scents and lets everybody know it. Thank goodness my dad doesn't cave!

Quote Originally Posted by chaoskitty View Post
    For my early years the most significant male figure in my life was my grandfather. He, like many others, wore Old Spice, but he was most attracted to the bottle! As a Navy man (and survivor of the Dunedin) he liked the ship (?Shooner is it?). He tried Brut a few times, but I suppose the lack of ship let it down!
    My grandfather was also very important in my early years. He was a Navy man too (WW II, in the Pacific mostly), though he was retired by the time I came along, and I remember he wore Old Spice when I was a child. Many years later, when he was in his 80's, I gave him a bottle of Givenchy Incense, but I don't know whether he really liked it or was just being nice, saying he did. Maybe he would have liked it better if it had a ship on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    My Dad. A pompous, rigid, strict, temperamental yet altruistic man. He's self employed and has been through loads of rubbish, and has been through fantastic times, yet has always kept his family happy. I respect him tons, love him to bits (even though I may not show it) and realise that he really does care. I wish he could connect with me more, but he's always busy, and when he's free, he's doing other stuff for the family business. The odd time at gatherings, parties and weekends that my real dad does come through, he's that man, but with a compassionate, loving, interesting and truly genuine side, I really do wish this side came through more often.

My dad uses AdP Colonia, Davidoff Cool Water and Chanel Pour Monsieur. He also sometimes indulges with some samples from my sample bowl, he thought they were all 'masculine' until he applied some of a little decant of Carnal Flower. Hehe.
    WOW! Your dad has great taste. From the looks of the things you like, your dad passed on his good taste genes to you.

Old Spice.

Thanks for the contest!

My late Father, rest his soul, used Old Spice Shaving Cream, and had a very characteristic curled handlebar mustache, which he would even wax on special occasions! What a man he was! I believe he probably used Old Spice cologne as well in his earlier years, but his characteristic scent was beer and cigarettes, and what I wouldn’t give to hug him and smell that just one more time…

My stepdad when I was a kid growing up had a cologne “tray” on his dresser, sort of a fancy silver mirrored affair, on which he kept bottles of British Sterling and Hai Karate. I was so intrigued with the karate chop label of Hai Karate because I was taking karate classes at the time, and would religiously watch Kung Fu Theater on TV in the morning on weekends. Ah, the good old days…

My Da was/is a dedicated Aramis man.
    (Apparently, so were many other Basenoters' fathers.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]