Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Fathers Day Fragrance Contest

My Dad just wore the basics of the time; Old Spice, English Leather, Brut and Hai Karate. Aramis was the special occasion scent.
    He was a blue-collar kind of guy who had succeeded beyond his wildest dreams but always respected his roots and taught me how to value the important things in life.
    He passed away before he saw me graduate from graduate school so he never knew how succesful he was in instilling a core set of values to his son.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

I remember a lot of Old Spice and Aqua Velva (ugh)! My Mother bought him a Bttl. of Brut about 10 years ago which he wore quite regularly, although I think she just got sick of the "cheap" stuff and would have tried anything.
    He's in his 80's and seems much less interested in scent at this point. Seems to be a "weddings only" guy now!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

I know my dad wore either Halston I-12 or Z-14, but I haven't had a chance to test to confirm which. One of my first cologne memories is of my dad splasing some Halston on me before church one day. I'm fighting the urge to buy a bottle just for nostalgia.
    Last edited by Aerodyne; 19th May 2008 at 05:26 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Otto, this is one of those threads that catch one's attention, slows the mind, and gives us pause. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and thank you to all those who shared their introspection.

My dad was born 114 years ago, and he never adopted any modern smells (nor modern underwear for that matter, favoring his "union suit" even during the hottest weather). For some time he bathed once a week. In his later years, he gave that up. Surprisingly, the only smells I associate with him are of machinery and the bar of coarse Lava soap that sat on the bathroom sink.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thumbs up Re: Fathers Day Fragrance Contest

My Dad's favorite is Lagerfeld. He believes they changed it. My Grandmother was an Avon lady. My Dad & his Sister would get samples once a week they'd sit around the table & try them out. They treated that like Christmas Day. That's how I got into Colognes.

Mennen Speed Stick, nervous sweat, cigarettes in various states of staleness, beer after six and scotch after eight, sawdust, 3-in-1 oil, blood.

My father wore Paco Rabanne pour Homme. Though he did love his witchhazel that he splashed on every day. so, witchhazel and Paco Rabanne pour Homme.

yup.
    ~*~*~*~*~
    One by one the lava lamps are stealing my sanity...

I don't have any associacion between scents and male models, sad to say. My dad has never been into scents, never wore them, and basically we never shared a common passion for anything I guess. It's again quite sad to say, I really wanted to feel him closer, and many times I tried to, but we really are like night and day and probably lived for 30 years together just thanks to mom being our link.
    Only once I discovered a very old bottle of Yardley English Lavender, probably a gift from someone, laying since decades in a drawer and has been told me my dad used that just few times when he was younger. Maybe that's why I don't like that much classic "drawer freshener like" lavender scents?

In my country, behind the ironcurtain there were no scents worth to mention. Yet, to make the picture more complete, I write to you that among other tens of thousands men he used now and then after shaving some drops of Pitralon, and unexplainably terrible something (once we discussed it with somebody here at basenotes). That was all a well-groomed man could have. And it was about the smallest problem in this country back then...

Otto, thanks for the contest.
    Last edited by Sandy; 20th May 2008 at 03:21 PM.

My father wore Stetson and Old Spice

My father when he wore frags, wore Chanel No.5 EDC (mens splash) , Old Spice, Or a cork bottled fragrance called Paoloma Cervantes....very different frag, not sure where he got it from...

Mine wore Old Spice most of the time. But every once in a while he would break out the Grey Flannel After Shave.

These days he wears Dior Homme (which i bought him) and Molinard's Vaniteck (i gave him my bottle because he liked it).

Last week i happened to be around him wearing A Taste of Heaven by Kilian and he loved it! "That stuff is nice. That is one of the better ones i have ever smelled on you. Where can i get a small bottle of that?" It would be a cold day in Hell before he ever spent that kind of money on a fragrance....maybe i will buy him a decant.
    Last edited by ajmc; 21st May 2008 at 09:03 PM.

Aramis.

Old spice for my dad. I remember that heavy white glass bottle with the ship on it.

Reading all of these comments is glorious, even - or maybe especially - the nostalgic and forlorn.

Great thread.

Hello Family,

Just a friendly reminder to enter this contest if you have not already.

Have a Great and Safe Week.

Best,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

My father did not wear cologne

My grandfather, on my mother's side, wore Royal Copenhagen and when he died, I got that bottle!!!!!!!

Sam

I recall fondly from my childhood my father's smell of Halston Z-14 and starched shirts.

I wore my father's Z-14 as my very first fragrance to a junior high school dance. I still keep a small bottle around for the occasional reminder.

Count my dad in for Old Spice too. I just bought him a bottle for Father's Day just for nostalgic reasons. He's almost 73 and has been wearing CK One in most of it's versions and also Farhenhiet Summer. He lives in Florida so he goes for more warm weather, citrus scents. Old Spice must have done a heck of a business back in the day.

My father for the last few years has been using Obsession by CK. Before that, he settled with Old Spice. To me there is no smell more "fatherly" than old spice though. That stuff just takes me back to waking up before sunrise to get ready for school right beside him. I would take my shower after him so the bathroom was filled with the scent of Old Spice when I showered in the mornings.

My dad would wear a scent that smells alot like Creed Acier Aluminum. When ever I smell that Creed it takes me back. I don't know what it was and it was a long time ago. Seventies. He does't wear anything anymore. He does enjoy a straight razor shave now and then. He highly recommends them. I will try one soon. When I visit him in Az,sometimes I will come back from my favorate "scent store" reeking like a french whore house I am sure! He doesn't say anything. God bless him. He is a good man.

akdeluxe

My Dad wears a lot of modern Colognes and always has at least one on the go at any given moment.

Recently he had Dolce & Gabanna and David Beckham.

I keep meaning to get him something from Penhaligon's.

As a nipper I would go everywhere with my Dad, to his work, fishing, football, then he and my Mum divorced, we moved towns and I only saw him every other weekend. Now we all (including my Mother) live in the same town all within 2 miles of each other and me and my Dad are best friends. We go to the football, play poker and have BBQs most weekends.

The most important lesson he taught me was "when you're at school you are there to learn, at all other times - do whatever you want".

My father always wore Aramis, with occasional forays into Givenchy Gentlemen--neither of which I like, but both which I love because of their association with my father. I wonder, with all of the scents that I have, which one my children will remember when they think of me?

I didn't have a real relationship with my father either, but I had an uncle who picked up the slack, and he's the one I like to call my Real Father. He wore:

Quorum by Antonio Puig.

Great theme for this contest, by the way.

My father wore Brut until I was in high school; then he switched to Old Spice. I think my grandfather wore some sort of leather scent, but I'm not sure. I just know that when I use leathers, that's who I think of.

great thread otto!

my dad wore brut and old spice for years until he stopped wet shaving in the mid 80's when my mom bought him an electric razor (the horror!).

when i was growing up at home, the scents that i most remember him smelling of is stale sweat, engine grease, hay and marlboro reds. he worked long days driving a semi. he no longer smokes (good for him), rarely loads his trailers and hardly ever smells of engine grease... i miss that old familiar scent. he has one more month before he retires.

i am thinking that he needs a new frag for his retirement years!

cheers,
    ryan

Old Spice, English Leather, and Brut were what I remember seeing in his bathroom space. He's been gone for a long time but I can still remember smelling the Old Spice on him when I was just a kid and he'd be playing with my brother and me.

My Step-Dad has worn only one thing as long as I've know him: CK Obsession. He's a great guy and although he's almost 80, I think he's open-minded enough to maybe try something new. I just have to pick something out...
    Last edited by wiley1st; 14th June 2008 at 09:19 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

His very favorite I can't really remember and, like many of us, can no longer ask. I do think he sometimes wore what I now know was one of the Bay Rum fragrances. Old Spice was one he wore on occasion that I can definitely recall, so I will say that was it.
    Last edited by kbe; 14th June 2008 at 09:36 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

My father is using for 30 years Polo by RL.
    Last month, his frag end and I gave him a half bottle of Terre d Hermes. He didnt liked....I gave him a PRL again. His obsession.

Congratulations To zztopp for Winning the Fathers Day Fragrance Contest.

Thanks to all of you who entered.

I am working on the next Quiz, it will be fun and there will be some cool prizes.

Best to you all.

Otto
    Last edited by Otto; 18th June 2008 at 10:17 PM.

Default Re: WINNER Announced-Fathers Day Fragrance Contest-WINNER Announced.

WoW!
    Fantastic news... many congrats ZZtop!
    Otto, as always, you're a gentleman and an upstanding member of this community! Thanks for allowing us to participate in this exciting comp!

Basenotes Institution

Congrats mr. topp!

Thanks Otto for your creativity and generosity!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Sur la Plage

I demand a recount!

Congrats zztopp!

Looking forward to the next contest Otto. Thanks for organizing this one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Way to go zz, halfway towards a bottle of Bois de Santal, yummy
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Many thanks for a very enjoyable contest. I loved reading the posts by the BNers. And congratulations to zztop for winning your most generous prize Otto!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Thanks all, and especially Otto for giving all of us these fun opportunities to exchange our thoughts (and win cool prizes!) - there were a lot of great entries here and I am humbled by the win.
    -

Otto, Mr. Turin would give you five stars Not to mention Mr. Burr...

Thanks for the contest.

LOL to some of your comments...Thanks you guys, there really are some cool people on Notes..Much Love to you.

Best,

Otto