Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fathers Day Fragrance Contest

I think my dad might have worn Old Spice aftershave at some point. But he doesn't wear any fragrance these days.

Indie_guy, thank you for sharing that story.

My dad has worn Eternity for several years. I can't recall any scent memories of what he might have worn before that. He applies it very sparingly (like father like daughter), and it's usually so subtle that I'm not even conscious of it.

I wish I knew what both of my grandfathers wore, because those would definitely be comfort scents to me now.

Blog Entries

My father only wears Aramis besides Oudh pure oils.

Old Spice all the way

Thank you Otto for such a wonderful contest! I'm really enjoying the stories and memories here.

My dad has pretty simple tastes, and he's not much of a fragrance man. He's young at heart, and has quite youthful looks as well. Being a hip, 'young' dad, if he'll wear anything it will be Lynx (Axe) spray deodorent. This is his main scent. What also reminds me of him are the chocolate or vanilla scented candles that he keeps in his apartment. He claims that he likes how they overpower any bad or musty odours around the place. The only fragrance I have ever seen around his place is a bottle of Joop (!!), and a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver. I noticed the Guerlain on a shelf in the bathroom and asked him about it. He didn't really seem to know what I was talking about so he mustn't have been using it. I talked a little about the fragrance and the house, though he didn't seem that interested. When I went back to his apartment the next time, the Guerlain Vetiver was no longer on that forgotten low shelf in the bathroom! Perhaps he is wearing it occasionally.
    Last edited by Tavorna; 18th May 2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks Otto for starting this thread. Loved reading all the stories!

My Dad occasionally wears Live Jazz... only because Mum likes it. Before that he wore something from that Lucky brand. Even before that I think Mum tried to get him to wear something (I found the evidence under the sink in the bathroom... including a dirty looking but barely touched bottle of Jovan Andron).

Otherwise he tends to refuse to smell things - like the day I got Fleurs de Bulgarie. "Look Dad, it's Creed! Smell it!", "No thanks, it looks like urine". I'm not quite sure how we are related
    Last edited by jillsy; 18th May 2008 at 02:41 AM.

My dad wears Bijan For Men and Azzaro Pour Homme. These are his signature scents, and he always has a bottle.

My father never wore fragrance - very much a shower and soap man. But I do remember a university lecturer who had an influence on my life who wore Azzaro pour Homme. He let me stay at his apartment when he was on sabbatical ( a wonderful liberating experience for a 21 yo). Everytime I see that bottle or smell Azzaro again, I think of him.

My father used to wear Pinaud Clubman, which my mother hated. I've also seen a bottle of Drakkar Noir. Now he is pretty strict on using Burberry London which, in my opinion, is the best choice yet.

as far as I know, my father has never worn perfume just AS and that was Pitralon, later other marks given by me and my sister as a birthday/ Christmas gift by Avon.

My dad used to wear Polo, until we started giving him more sophisticated scents such as Equipage, Habit Rouge and Guerlain Vetiver. He was also quite partial to Moschino's Uomo, now discontinued, which I used to track down for him before it became prohibitively expensive.

What a wonderful thread!

My father always wore Tuscany and Grey Flannel... and always in aftershave form. I tried to get him to use edt's but he never went for it. My sister used to always ask him to wear his "smellies" when we were little.

Molten Gin

My family was divorced since I was in elementary school -- so nowadays I almost never see him. Before it was on birthdays, weekends, special occasions, and such that I saw him -- but not anymore. However, my "smell memory" told me that he always wore Polo. Honestly, I don't want to grow up to be like my dad. I mean -- he's a good person -- but I probably will never be using any Polo in this life. Romance silver, maybe. But definitely not Polo. The one thing he did influence me greatly is musically. He loves music. He always liked listening to jazz and other non-mainstream stuff -- which has made me want to explore all musical avenues. And that is also why my nickname is "Note."
    Last edited by moltening; 18th May 2008 at 06:41 AM.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I met my father as an adult, and when I did so, I was astonished to discover he was also an avid fragrance enthusiast (it must be genetic!)...

But since we met, for the last 15 years as we've come to know one another better, a staple Ive always associated with him is HABIT ROUGE.

My dad pretty much exclusively wears Chanel Antaeus. Every so often he'll put on Chanel PM.
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Ręve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

My dad doesn't care about fragrance, but he wears my Cool Water occasionally.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I only remember the scent of the orange industrial-strength hand soap my dad washed his hands with, after a hard day of toil at the ship yard. We were poor in those days, and the scent of that soap brings back memories of dad's struggle to put food on the table. But we never did without, thanks to him .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Way way back I can remember my dad using Old Spice - which I probably borrowed some too.

More recently he's been wearing a Givenchy (probably "Gentleman"). I actually gave him my Boss frangrance which I had grown tired of and more recently Gucci Pour Homme (which I bought new as a gift) - but I think he's been sticking to his Givenchy.

He gave me a half used bottle of Stetson the last time I visited them in Dallas. I threw that bottle away. I really didn't give it a fair chance I can see clearly now. I'm going to have to check out Stetson one more time!

My father wore Vitalis hair tonic. His characteristic scent was that together with Lark cigarettes.
    For swap/sale: Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, Vint. MPG Santal Noble, vint. Tiffany for Men, Floris Mahon Leather, Creed Spice & Wood, Roja Dove Amber Aoud Crystal, 1 Million Intense & Absolutely Gold, Montale Cuir D'Arabie, Bentley Intense, Prada Amber PH metal travel spray, Loewe PH, vint. YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Obsession, others...
    http://tinyurl.com/mxzztm9 (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Roja Dove

What lovely stories.

For my early years the most significant male figure in my life was my grandfather. He, like many others, wore Old Spice, but he was most attracted to the bottle! As a Navy man (and survivor of the Dunedin) he liked the ship (?Shooner is it?). He tried Brut a few times, but I suppose the lack of ship let it down!

In Janurary I visited my father for the first time in three years. I knew that he used to wear Royal Copenhagen in the early 80's, but he had since moved on to other Fragrances. I remembered that he wore RC so I took him a bottle.

He was quite thrilled, as he said he completely forgot about it.

Every time we talk on the phone now, he mentions how much he loves it and he thanks me for bringing that fragrance back to him.

Happy Father's Day, dad!

Smile Re: Fathers Day Fragrance Contest

My father wore Kanon for years, sometimes alternating with Pierre Cardin Cologne. I especially loved it when he wore the Kanon with a Cashmere pullover. I would hug him and get the best feeling. I thought ALL men smelled this great, and that all men SHOULD wear cashmere!
    One of my uncles, much younger than my father, wore English Leather, and I loved the way he smelled.
    My brother, in his youth, wore Drakkar Noir. Don't remember the smell, though..I guess it wasn't impressive.
    Fun to remember! Thanks Otto!

My father goes heavy on the Canoe EDT splash bottle. I could never get him into trying anything new. I would love to take him out for a sniff day but that would contest his manliness and we can't have that. I guess I'm going to have to deal with Canoe for the rest of my life...

My Dad wears Tzar and Pontaccio 21 & smells yummy :-D

Both grandfathers wore Old Spice, I think mostly because us grandkids gave each of them a set for Christmas. I definitely can tell the current version is not the same--it smells more "modern".

My dad wore Brut for a long time, but then switched to more "fancy" stuff later in life. For years he wore Aramis 900. Now, he wears musk--I don't know the name but it is a sweet musk somewhat like Kiehl's without the urinous top notes.

I bought Brut recently, and it smells different than the old version also.

My mom hates all scents and lets everybody know it. Thank goodness my dad doesn't cave!

Quote Originally Posted by chaoskitty View Post
    For my early years the most significant male figure in my life was my grandfather. He, like many others, wore Old Spice, but he was most attracted to the bottle! As a Navy man (and survivor of the Dunedin) he liked the ship (?Shooner is it?). He tried Brut a few times, but I suppose the lack of ship let it down!
    My grandfather was also very important in my early years. He was a Navy man too (WW II, in the Pacific mostly), though he was retired by the time I came along, and I remember he wore Old Spice when I was a child. Many years later, when he was in his 80's, I gave him a bottle of Givenchy Incense, but I don't know whether he really liked it or was just being nice, saying he did. Maybe he would have liked it better if it had a ship on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    My Dad. A pompous, rigid, strict, temperamental yet altruistic man. He's self employed and has been through loads of rubbish, and has been through fantastic times, yet has always kept his family happy. I respect him tons, love him to bits (even though I may not show it) and realise that he really does care. I wish he could connect with me more, but he's always busy, and when he's free, he's doing other stuff for the family business. The odd time at gatherings, parties and weekends that my real dad does come through, he's that man, but with a compassionate, loving, interesting and truly genuine side, I really do wish this side came through more often.

My dad uses AdP Colonia, Davidoff Cool Water and Chanel Pour Monsieur. He also sometimes indulges with some samples from my sample bowl, he thought they were all 'masculine' until he applied some of a little decant of Carnal Flower. Hehe.
    WOW! Your dad has great taste. From the looks of the things you like, your dad passed on his good taste genes to you.

Old Spice.

Thanks for the contest!

My late Father, rest his soul, used Old Spice Shaving Cream, and had a very characteristic curled handlebar mustache, which he would even wax on special occasions! What a man he was! I believe he probably used Old Spice cologne as well in his earlier years, but his characteristic scent was beer and cigarettes, and what I wouldn’t give to hug him and smell that just one more time…

My stepdad when I was a kid growing up had a cologne “tray” on his dresser, sort of a fancy silver mirrored affair, on which he kept bottles of British Sterling and Hai Karate. I was so intrigued with the karate chop label of Hai Karate because I was taking karate classes at the time, and would religiously watch Kung Fu Theater on TV in the morning on weekends. Ah, the good old days…

My Da was/is a dedicated Aramis man.
    (Apparently, so were many other Basenoters' fathers.)

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]