Code of Conduct

Default dabbling in the men's scent arena: cool water, polo, BP, Safari, Egoiste Platinum

After running a few errands, I stopped by the men's frag counter at the local Macy's to snoop around.

First up - Cool Water. Initially bright and citrusy and light; an hour later smelled incredibly generic; not enough personality for me and it smelled very similar to the Caron Pure that I wore a few years back.

Safari for men - nice on the card. Didn't have the leathery emphasis that a lot of men's scents have. The drydown was "darker" than I was expecting and quite woodsy.

Polo - Smelled leathery and dense. I really didn't even want to put it on, but I did. Not perky enough.

Egoiste Platinum - smelled like a bright, aldehydic Chanel women's / unisex scent. Need to explore further. The drydown was fresh with no real drama.

Beyond Paradise for Men - This is a much better scent than the women's BP with my chemistry. After the initial synthetic blast - after about 5 minutes - it settles into a fruity/light vetiver/herbal combo that is lovely. Highly recommend that the women try this one out if the BP for women doesn't interest you and you're looking for a non-Pleasures related clean, summer scent.

So, this was lots of fun and I actually found some scents that merit further pursuit. As I mentioned, I'm goint to retry Chanel Egoiste Platinum, hopefully sample Antaeus (it's a tough one to find in these parts), see if there is a regular Egoiste to try, check out Chanel Monsieur, and retry BP for Men.

Have any of you ladies been sampling at the men's counter lately? What did you find?
    Last edited by seattlelight; 18th May 2008 at 03:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: dabbling in the men's scent arena: cool water, polo, BP, Safari, Egoiste Platinu

Mmm... I also think BP for Men could easily be worn by women. I'm a big fan of Pi and Body Kouros. Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin is good too. Very yummy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: dabbling in the men's scent arena: cool water, polo, BP, Safari, Egoiste Platinu

My little Sister loves Dior Homme, and it smells nice on her

Post Thanks / Like

Have to say I have always dabbled in the men's fragrances.
    Egoiste and Monsieur are both in my collection and wonderful on a woman. Because our skin is different from men's it adds a whole new dimension to the way they develop.
    DONNA

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooooh yeah! Montana Parfum d'Homme... John Varvatos...Casran...Live Jazz....4711...

I'll think of more....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried out Live Jazz on my skin but it just turned to black pepper... and I couldn't scrub it off!

Yeah Dior Homme is another mens one that I likey for myself Never considered John Varvatos for me but I think I should... time to go back and resniff!

I've discovered some excellent men's frags:
    Angel Men Pure Coffee: yummie coffee and patch
    Jaipur Homme (Boucheron): smooth woody vanilla
    and, more $$$: By Kilian A Taste of Heaven. I really don't like the idea of having to buy the $$$ bottle before one can buy the less expensive refill. I'll just have to be on the lookout for decants

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    After running a few errands, I stopped by the men's frag counter at the local Macy's to snoop around.

First up - Cool Water. Initially bright and citrusy and light; an hour later smelled incredibly generic; not enough personality for me and it smelled very similar to the Caron Pure that I wore a few years back.

Safari for men - nice on the card. Didn't have the leathery emphasis that a lot of men's scents have. The drydown was "darker" than I was expecting and quite woodsy.

Polo - Smelled leathery and dense. I really didn't even want to put it on, but I did. Not perky enough.

Egoiste Platinum - smelled like a bright, aldehydic Chanel women's / unisex scent. Need to explore further. The drydown was fresh with no real drama.

Beyond Paradise for Men - This is a much better scent than the women's BP with my chemistry. After the initial synthetic blast - after about 5 minutes - it settles into a fruity/light vetiver/herbal combo that is lovely. Highly recommend that the women try this one out if the BP for women doesn't interest you and you're looking for a non-Pleasures related clean, summer scent.

So, this was lots of fun and I actually found some scents that merit further pursuit. As I mentioned, I'm goint to retry Chanel Egoiste Platinum, hopefully sample Antaeus (it's a tough one to find in these parts), see if there is a regular Egoiste to try, check out Chanel Monsieur, and retry BP for Men.

Have any of you ladies been sampling at the men's counter lately? What did you find?
    If you don't mind receiving some suggestions from a man, these are some fragrances that I feel would work very well on a woman:

- Sables by Annick Goutal
    - Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy
    - Royal English Leather by Creed
    - Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

The first three are relatively potent so go light with the application.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

I agree with Creed's Royal English Leather. Gorgeous, and works beautifully on women. I've even had a few compliments on it!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Post Thanks / Like

I love, own, and wear Sables and Egoiste (not Platinum). Both are comfort scents for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to wear men's orientals very well--Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur and Chanel Egoist (original) are two which work really well on my skin and personality-wise.

At the suggestion of the guide, I tried:
    EL's Beyond Paradise for Men--did not work well on me, kinda bitter and chemical-like
    Yohji--very nice, but probably not FBW (even if I could find it)
    Dior Homme--powdery masculine iris, and the iris did not work well on my skin
    Dior Eau Sauvage--barely remember it, will have to retry, lol
    PdN New York--meh
    Others on the list I have, but not tried yet.

Of the others mentioned above, I tried Annick Goutal Sables, and it smelled terrible on me--I have to be really careful with fennel or fennel-like scents as they really seem to amplify on me. Also I tried Boucheron Jaipur Homme yesterday, and got the vanilla cake batter effect :P

I tried Rosine Rose d'Homme--too wimpy to be a women's floral. Creed Royal Scottish Lavender--I quite liked this one, even the spicy drydown which Turin criticizes. And Ormonde Jayne Man which I liked very much, even better than their women's scent. However, I have some trouble with the synthetics in OJ, so, it is not something I would likely wear often.

Post Thanks / Like

....and PdeN New York - Paloma Picasso Minotaure (ole!) - Nikos - Tabarome Milliseme - Azzaro Pure Cedrat.....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Thank you for the additional suggestions - I'm writing a list out. Sephora probably has many of these and I'll check out the directory for some additional reviews. It feels like a whole new interesting fragrance world is opening up for me and it's great! I used to browse the men's counter only when looking for gifts and would just go by how they smelled on a card.

And I've seen other ladies mention:
    Pour un Homme de Caron
    Vetiver de Guerlain
    both of which have the "pour elle" versions!
    Also, Grey Flannel.
    I find that it's much easier for ladies to pull off men's scents than the other way around. Kinda makes me jealous.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think Hypnotic Poison (Dior) has a masculine undertone, and I don't know exactly what makes me think that. I wish my husband would wear it, and see how it smells on him, but he just doesn't care for fragrance other than his aftershave which is either by Mennen or Faberge, depending on what's for sale.

I definitely prefer some men's versions of scents over women's.

Beyond Paradise for Women is something I don't like. Y'all have inspired me to try the Men's version when next I'm at the mall. . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Your little sister has good taste, Vivek! Obviously runs in the family.
    I like Dior Homme too. Also Creed's Acier Aluminium, Royal English Leather, and another one I can't remember.
    I have been known to pinch my hubby's Guerlain Vetiver, but lots of girls wear that.
    And then there are the unisex things that they put in the men's department so they won't feel wierd about trying them - Bulgari Black, Eau d'Orange Vert etc.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I like Hypnose Homme more than the women's. Recently bought a bottle of Hanae Mori HM (men's) - I don't care for the women's scents because they are too syrupy, but this one is great on me.

I tried Terre d'Hermes and can tell it's great, but not on me. Wish my husband was into wearing scent - made me want to nuzzle.

Ah, yes, the Bvlgari Black switcheroo. I know many women who wore it and think it has been discontinued. Nope, just mosey on over to the men's side and there it is. That was so weird when that happened - like, huh??? Probably more women will try it at the men's counter than men at the women's.

Women's Hanae Mori is nice for the first 60 seconds and then I completely lose interest - men's might be the way to go. Lolita Lempicka masculine is also wonderful on the card - didn't try it on, though. Interesting how the Creed and Dior keep getting mentioned. A lot of these aren't too hard to find, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    Thank you for the additional suggestions - I'm writing a list out. Sephora probably has many of these and I'll check out the directory for some additional reviews. It feels like a whole new interesting fragrance world is opening up for me and it's great! I used to browse the men's counter only when looking for gifts and would just go by how they smelled on a card.
    If you live in Seattle as your handle would suggest I would recommend the Fragrance shop in the Alexis Hotel on 1st Ave Downtown for the Creeds. If you are interested in the Sables I would suggest you try Nordstrom and if you can't find it there I can give you a little. I work just above the Sephora store in Downtown Seattle. I think between Nordstrom, Macy's, Sephora and the shop in the Alexis Hotel you should be able to find most if not all of the suggested fragrance and then some.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

Regarding Jaipur Homme by Boucheron...
    I love that one, on me it turns lavender for some reason, very elegant and sensual... so much so that when I wear it to sleep it's guaranteed I'll have xxx dreams
    I steal it from my brother's huge fragrance collection though... I always try to remember to buy it for my own but always forget.
    Needless to say, he probably doesn't appreciate the fact that I steal from him.
    Well, steal is too serious a word it's more like I spray it on me every once in a while...
    He's my source for testing men's fragrances though, because if I went to an actual store to try "male scents" on me the sale's clerks would look at me with despise at the very least (people are obsessed with the gender thing in my country...)
    Oh well..
    Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation and 2% butterscotch ripple.
    The perfume group at vox: http://thescented.groups.vox.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    .....And then there are the unisex things that they put in the men's department so they won't feel weird about trying them - Bulgari Black, Eau d'Orange Vert etc.
    ....oh yeah!!!

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My aunt wears Brut. I've never asked her if she knows it was designed for men. Knowing her personality, I don't think she'd much care even if she knew.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Brut...I own Les Nerides Imperial Opoponax which some think smells like Brut. Having smelled the new Brut recently, I can see the similarity. However, the Brut is way more....well....brut

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    ....oh yeah!!!
    Bulgari Black ... wearing something that smells like new black, dry rubber isn't really pinnable to any sex! Maybe if you were a robot?
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Ha-- I just rec Saks DNA for Him for the aquatic post because this is my favorite men's scent. It's been smelling great during the Spring season on me. Other notes are amber, black pepper, and bergamot I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Guerlain Vetiver. It's fantastic.

I'm a total newbie to fragrance, but I like Michael Kors for Men better than I like MK for Women. It seems to have similar notes, but the men's fragrance is deeper and lasts longer.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Speaking of Brut...I own Les Nerides Imperial Opoponax which some think smells like Brut. Having smelled the new Brut recently, I can see the similarity. However, the Brut is way more....well....brut
    Perhaps that's something else I need to try as well! I noticed you said you "own Les Nerides Imperial Opoponax" but you didn't say you "like" it.

I recently tried a couple more fragrances marketed towards men, and enjoyed the sampling very much, even if I didn't enjoy some of the actual fragrances.

John Varvatos: incense-y, I don't think I can wear this one comfortably. It makes me think of Good Friday Mass.

Montale Black Aoud: I was shocked to find this reminds me of my deceased grandmother -- the one who lived in Southeast Asia, chewed betel nut, and burned incense every day for the two husbands she outlived. Some people say Youth Dew reminds them of their grandmother. This scent is my paternal grandmother. Incidentally, it's my aunt from my paternal side who wears Brut, as well.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Creed Original Vetiver: Does *anyone* else think the top notes smell like tom yum?

Post Thanks / Like

Angel Coffee for men - Love it! I'd wear it in a heartbeat.

On my list to try: Canoe; Azzaro for men (recommended by Mario on Antaeus thread).

Also, I might pick up some bay cologne or something lime'ish for while I'm here in Florida.

I've been sampling some men's fragrances as well lately. I love and bought myself Tumulte PH. Very cedar-y and incense. I used to wear Angel A*men but I have gotten tired of it, though I still prefer it to the women's version. D'Orsay Le Dandy is very nice, a little more masculine and I think I would rather get my non-fragrance wearing husband to wear that, but I'd be snitching some too. I do wear his Bulgari Black occasionally. I like Terre D'Hermes as well and Rochas PH doesn't smell too manly on me, but it does smell like a watered down version of Bond #9 New Haarlem which I prefer and will probably get a bottle of soon.

Post Thanks / Like

PdN Cologne Sologne
    Guerlain Les Eaux
    Santa Maria Novella Sicily
    Carthusia Mediterraneo
    Last edited by beachroses; 8th June 2008 at 01:07 PM.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tried Jean Paul Gaultier's Le Male today as I was hoping to find another vanilla scent that I like. Le Male has something in it that reminds me of Arrid Extra Extra Dry with vanilla. And Wal-Mart's Simply Basics Moonlight Way lotion smells a lot like Arrid XX Dry, too. They claim Moonlight Way has rose, lily of the valley, and musk.

Anyway, I can't wear Le Male because of the association with armpit deodorant, but there is something about it that is nice, particularly when it's accidentally layered with Kenzo Amour, as I did today.
    Last edited by Aiona; 14th June 2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Oops! It's Jean, not John.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

While at my parents' place, my mother pulled out her collection of perfume bottles (most of which she leaves unopened), and I was surprised to find Safari for Men among them. Apparently she had bought it for my dad, who didn't like it.

So I tried it. Ugh! Not for me. I like the bottle though!

I also got a chance to sniff Beyond Paradise for Men, but only on a card. It smells nice. A cool aquatic-like scent. Like artificial watermelon flavor. 'Haven't tried it on skin yet though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Why the heck have I never noticed this thread before? LOL. Sheesh. Most of my wardrobe is comprised of mens & unisex frags. My faves:

Men's:
    Clinique Happy
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    L'eau D'Issey
    Clean Men
    Lolita Lempicka au masculin
    Burberry Brit
    LeMale

Unisex:
    Bvlgari Black
    Gaultier2
    CK be
    Mugler Cologne
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    While at my parents' place, my mother pulled out her collection of perfume bottles (most of which she leaves unopened), and I was surprised to find Safari for Men among them. Apparently she had bought it for my dad, who didn't like it.

So I tried it. Ugh! Not for me. I like the bottle though!
    My mistake! I think what I tried was Safari for Women which has been discontinued. STRONG FLORAL.

So, this now begs the question, did my mom accidentally buy a women's fragrance for my dad, and *that* is why he didn't like it, or did she buy it on purpose and said she bought it for my dad, when she actually bought it for herself. I'm confused. But anyway, I've yet to try Safari for Men!

Post Thanks / Like

Besides the Dior Homme and Burberry Brit, you should try YSL M7. You might like it.

My favorite men's scents at this point (several weeks of testing):

Habit Rouge
    Heritage
    A*men

also like:

Caron Pour un Homme
    Dior Homme
    Mouchoir de Monsieur

To me there's no gender with scents, just whether I like it or not.

Paloma Picasso Minotaure
    Davidoff Cool Water

My absolute favourite is Armani White, but it doesn't smell special on me. I has to be on another person.
    A close second: Chanel Allure Edition Blanche (yet to try)

plan to try: Acqua di Gio
    Rush (funny, the women's original is beyond awful, but the men's sounds good)

can't stand: JPG Le Male
    Opium (it doesn't deserve that name, the women's is divine)

Post Thanks / Like

From my husband's side of the cabinet, I sometimes spray Guerlain Vetiver, Eau Savage de Dior, Egoiste Platinum and Jo Malone 154!

My oldest brother loves fragrances as much as I do. Although they live in NYC, they have an apartment in Miami Beach. Recently when they were down for a few days I spent the day with them. I snooped to see what fragrances he had down here that were new to me. It was great, he had a couple of unkown niche stuff from London that I really enjoyed, however, I can't remember the names now. I'll have to copy them down when I go over next. I did not get him to part with anything. He has introduced me to many fragrances throughout the years which I have them bought for my husband, i.e., Heritage, L'Homme, Eau de Issey. However, my husband is very finicky and tends to only like citrusy scents. Actually, I have put up some used fragrances that he no longer uses for sale on Ebay this week for someone who would like to try some of the scents without having to shell out a lot money.