Code of Conduct

Default How would you explain niche frags to a "newbie" ?

Turin talks about "abstraction" and "balance" in judging fragrances, and he finds a lot to like in certain drug store "cheapos." I'm sometimes asked about the most expensive fragrances, and I mention niche, but because I haven't tried niche, I can't really speak from personal experience. My question is, how would you explain the difference between an excellent non-niche frag and an excellent niche frag to someone who knows very little about frags in general?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 18th May 2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling error

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How would you explain niche frags to a "newbie" ?

Niche Fragrances:

Are in average more expensive than mainstream.
    sometimes use more expensive ingredients.
    Are more unisex oriented.
    A bit more "natural smelling". Specially incense and woods. Cedar, Sandalwood, Agarwood are better presented in niche.
    Are bit more foody than mainstream.
    At first I thought that they can be a little bit more "chalenging" to wear but this is not necesarily true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think that the number one difference is that one class, the designer fragrances, are made by designers who have a fragrance branch, while niche fragrances come from niche fragrance houses. They just happen to also have the things stated above as components most commonly associated with niche frags. They do tend to use more natural, quality ingredients. Don't forget that natural does not always mean quality and vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    I think that the number one difference is that one class, the designer fragrances, are made by designers who have a fragrance branch, while niche fragrances come from niche fragrance houses. They just happen to also have the things stated above as components most commonly associated with niche frags. They do tend to use more natural, quality ingredients. Don't forget that natural does not always mean quality and vice versa.
    Well put! Though I think CdG is kinda the exception that proves the rule here.

Niche places don't have the marketing engines that designers do, so can be more daring in what they bring to market, while designers tend to be a bit more focus-group oriented which inevitably has its affect on the product (tend to be very appealing, but sometimes blander than niche.)

Niche has their share of marketing based follow-the-herd, too - look at everyone that has their "amber" are coming up with their "fig" and "incense" based ones - so they certainly aren't immune.
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Well, I think the people I'm talking about are wondering what makes a very expensive frag so expensive. One thing, as Turin points out, is the actual cost of the ingredients. I guess I could add that some companies specialize in such high quality fragrances, and while they may not be what most people are looking for in a frag, they are not selling to "the masses," but to people who are aficionados, and most of these people don't think that spending more than $100 on a 3 ounce bottle is too much, just as many people will only drink high quality coffee, and are willing to spend a lot more on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Well, I think the people I'm talking about are wondering what makes a very expensive frag so expensive.
    I agree with all of what is said above.

As a newbie who is rapidly gravitating toward niche fragrances, I can tell you that I am struck by high percentage of "thumbs up" that I get in niche frag collections, compared to designers. I do have lots of designer frags that I love, but I've found that the percentage of scents from L'Artisan and The Different Co. that I really like is way higher than I expected. Overall, there seems to be a lot of originality, diversity, and quality in the niche house selections, and that impresses me. Maybe it's because they are marketing more to fragrance lovers and less to a mass market, as you mentioned. Whatever it is, what I would tell a fellow newbie or a potential newbie is that the niches are a good place to go hunting for "hardcore" great fragrances, and there is a cost associated with that.

Newbies and non-fraggies find the prices of good frags off-putting, but I like to think of a good frag bottle as being comparable to a case of good wine. Frankly, both designer and niche frags are a great deal when you think about them that way.