Code of Conduct

Default Help me find my next fragrance!

Hello, today I went to the mall to buy a razor and ended up looking at perfumes lol. I'm new to the fragrance world so I only have one cologne yet: Emporio armani classic He. So far, I think the perfumes I like the most are the woody, spicy, lightly fruity ones (not 100% sure of what I'm saying, I dont have a good nose yet). One thing is sure, I hate the ones that has prohiminent citrus note. I'm only 18 years old can some cologne smell too old for me? Anyways, I'd like something I coudl wear daily and that not every one has, I'd like to have MY scent I don't care if I have to pay over 100$ for a bottle, if I like it, its worth it. If you have some suggestion go ahead, I'll try to find samples on the net to try them.

I'm also thinking getting a samples of high end colognes, wich one would you suggest ?

Here some sample I got at the mall today, tell me what you think of them.
    Lacost elegance
    Chrome legend
    CK MAN
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    burberry London
    Hugo Boss Selection

From the smell on the paper, I think I loved theese one, I'll try them during the folllowing weeks. What I dont like about theese, is that I bet they are very popular and wont smell uniq

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
    Last edited by Tweker; 18th May 2008 at 11:21 PM.

Default Re: Help me find my next fragrance!

I am not the one to chime in because personally, I didn't find any of those bottle worthy but perhaps others can be more helpful. To try and help, I would narrow the list down to KC, Hugo, or Lacoste.

Basenotes Institution

London is the only one I can recommend - however I think it smells it's best worn in fall/winter. The others I do not like.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks for the answers, keep in mind that I'm open for suggestion, if you have any, go ahead.

London is the one I would choose from this list.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    London is the only one I can recommend - however I think it smells it's best worn in fall/winter. The others I do not like.
    I agree!

The best of the lot, but not a warm weather scent.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

That list is not the list I will choose from, just a few sample I got that I would like to get comments on ( like London: more fall/winter scent)

thx for the replies
    Last edited by Tweker; 19th May 2008 at 12:01 AM.

KC Reaction no doubt. With warm weather coming and the fact it elicits many compliments from the ladies makes it an easy choice. Check e-bay as you should be able to get it below $20. Go with what you like. In all honestly I don't like many of the forum faves on here and disagree with many of these 'niche' lovers.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Sur la Plage

From your list, I would choose only London - but for cooler weather.

Some others you may want to try:

Christian Dior - Dior Homme
    Diesel - Fuel for Life for Men
    Gucci - Envy for Men
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme I
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme II
    Hermes - Terre d'Hermes
    Jean-Paul Gaultier - Fleur du Male
    Jean-Paul Gaultier - Gaultier 2
    Narciso Rodriguez - Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    Prada - Prada Amber pour Homme
    Rochas - Lui
    Thierry Mugler - A*Men
    Versace - The Dreamer
    Yves Saint-Laurent - Kouros
    Yves Saint-Laurent - M7
    Yves Saint-Laurent - Rive Gauche pour Homme

These are not "high end", so you should be able to find samples easily and/or test at a local mall/fragrance store.

If you really want "high end", you can try to get samples from some fragrance houses like Creed, Bond, Serge Lutens, L'Artisan, Frederic Malle, and Montale. The Perfumed Court (www.theperfumedcourt.com) has several beginner sampler packs to choose from (such as the Niche and Classic Beginner Sampler Pack). I would suggest ordering one of them.

Good luck!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th May 2008 at 02:24 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

From what you like, I suggest you try Diesel Fuel for Life. A classic fougere updated for a new generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweker View Post
    Hello, today I went to the mall to buy a razor and ended up looking at perfumes lol. I'm new to the fragrance world so I only have one cologne yet: Emporio armani classic He. So far, I think the perfumes I like the most are the woody, spicy, lightly fruity ones (not 100% sure of what I'm saying, I dont have a good nose yet). One thing is sure, I hate the ones that has prohiminent citrus note. I'm only 18 years old can some cologne smell too old for me? Anyways, I'd like something I coudl wear daily and that not every one has, I'd like to have MY scent I don't care if I have to pay over 100$ for a bottle, if I like it, its worth it. If you have some suggestion go ahead, I'll try to find samples on the net to try them.

I'm also thinking getting a samples of high end colognes, wich one would you suggest ?

Here some sample I got at the mall today, tell me what you think of them.
    Lacost elegance
    Chrome legend
    CK MAN
    Kenneth Cole Reaction
    burberry London
    Hugo Boss Selection

From the smell on the paper, I think I loved theese one, I'll try them during the folllowing weeks. What I dont like about theese, is that I bet they are very popular and wont smell uniq

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
    You're going to have to shop somewhere else besides a mall. Most malls have very few fragrances worth wearing. Keep reading here on basenotes and get a feel for what you think you might like and get some samples from The Perfumed Court. Order sprays so you can experience the scent better. get a scent none of your friends will be wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    You're going to have to shop somewhere else besides a mall. Most malls have very few fragrances worth wearing. Keep reading here on basenotes and get a feel for what you think you might like and get some samples from The Perfumed Court. Order sprays so you can experience the scent better. get a scent none of your friends will be wearing.
    Well, I know if I want a really good scent, I'll have to shop online, but I don't even know which notes I like yet. I wanna make a list of scent I like and compare notes they have, this way I can see what I like and try to find a nice scent with all the notes I like.

Sur la Plage

Well, I know if I want a really good scent, I'll have to shop online, but I don't even know which notes I like yet. I wanna make a list of scent I like and compare notes they have, this way I can see what I like and try to find a nice scent with all the notes I like.
    IMO, you can find really good scents at both stores and online. Just because a fragrance costs >$100 does not mean it is better then one that costs $50. Try a variety of fragrances (both niche and designer) and see what you like - you may be surprised.....
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thumbs up Re: Help me find my next fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    From what you like, I suggest you try Diesel Fuel for Life. A classic fougere updated for a new generation.
    The best recommendation here!

Last edited by thebeck; 19th May 2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: change

Thanks for the answers, keep in mind that I'm open for suggestion, if you have any, go ahead.

The reality is that "most" designer frags are not very good. The reason I found my way to basenotes was because I couldn't find anything at the mall that I liked, and still can't. Most of designer frags just smell like alcohol to me. Price should definitely not be a factor. You can get one of the great ones like Yatagan for $39.00 or you can spend $200.00 on a lousy niche brand. The only thing to trust is your own nose.

Designer frags worth checking out:

Beyond Paradise Men - Estee Lauder
    Azzaro pour homme
    Cool Water
    Eau Noire - Dior
    Dior Homme
    Rochas Lui
    M7 - YSL
    Rive Gauche - YSL

Designer frags that I would not wear.

Burberry
    Calvin Klein
    Gucci
    Marc Jacobs
    Jack Black
    Ralph Lauren
    Tommy Bahama
    Dolce & Gabbana
    Jean-Paul Gaultier
    Lacoste
    Sean John
    Versace

Houses worth checking into:

Montale
    Parfums d'Empire
    Parfumarie Generale
    Serge Lutens
    L'Artisan
    Caron
    Parfums de Nicolai
    Chanel
    Frederick Malle
    D'Orsay
    Nasomatto
    Andy Tauer
    Oliver Durbano
    Czech & Speake
    Divine
    DSH Perfumes
    Profumum
    Diptyque
    Armani Prive
    Etro
    Van Cleef & Arpels
    Ungaro
    Lubin
    Last edited by thebeck; 20th May 2008 at 02:26 AM. Reason: add verbage

IMO there are plenty of good designer fragrances you can try at the mall. There are also plenty of hidden gems available on the internet cheaply which you may not be able to try at the mall. Finally, there is the world of niche - which is a great world to discover....

... once you have spent a year or so on Basenotes, absorbing all the information, trying all the designers first, finding what you like and dislike, and learning how to control your spending budget. I would NOT jump straight in to niche just because a few people tell you it's the best.

You said you like woody spicy ones, and don't like citrus based ones. If you'll allow me, I would suggest you discard that for the moment and just try GREAT ones recommended here, decide on each one on its merits, then after you've got a bit more experience, try to sort out what you like and dislike. It's sort of like wine - after a while you realise you like ALL of the different styles, once you're trying the best in each style genre.

Here's some recs:

Mall

everything Chanel
    -Pour Monsieur Concentree
    -Antaeus
    -Egoiste (may not be at the mall)
    -Platinum Egoiste (not my cup of tea but is v good quality, popular, and easily available so try it)
    -I'm not a fan of any of the Allures but others are

everything YSL (US malls don't seem to stock much of this, so you may have to rely on the net)
    -Kouros
    -Body Kouros
    -M7
    -Rive Gauche
    -L'Homme is pretty good, not to the standard of the others but more easily available
    -Jazz and Live Jazz are pretty good too

everything Guerlain
    -Vetiver
    -L'Instant
    -Habit Rouge
    -Heritage

Gucci Envy
    Gucci Pour Homme (1 not 2)
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Ralph Lauren Safari
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Hermes Equipage
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Bvlgari Black
    Bvlgari Acqva

Hidden gems not at the mall, but on the net:

Azzaro Pour Homme (you may find this at TJX stores also)
    Baldessarini (the original)
    Caron Third Man
    Dunhill Edition
    Essenza di Zegna
    Montana Parfum d'Homme (red box only)
    Ungaro III
    Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme
    Zino Davidoff

OK so here's the deal - nearly EVERY one of the fragrances I listed can be bought on ebay for <$30 (with the exception of the Chanels and a few others). So my advice would be to try what you can on this list and other lists, don't buy at the mall, buy on ebay and get twice as many!

I was going to desribe them to help you limit your choices, but my words might bias you one way or the other, so just try them yourself!

Cheers

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Thanks alot for feed backs, I'll keep that in mind Ged, I'll stay in the designer's fragrance to develope my nose to be able to see the difference, then I'll move intoo the niches fragrances. By friday I'll be at the mall again, this time , I'll make a list of all the perfumes you suggested me and try them. Should I get a sample of every of them or just the one I like? (since skin change the odor)

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    IMO there are plenty of good designer fragrances you can try at the mall. There are also plenty of hidden gems available on the internet cheaply which you may not be able to try at the mall. Finally, there is the world of niche - which is a great world to discover....

... once you have spent a year or so on Basenotes, absorbing all the information, trying all the designers first, finding what you like and dislike, and learning how to control your spending budget. I would NOT jump straight in to niche just because a few people tell you it's the best.

You said you like woody spicy ones, and don't like citrus based ones. If you'll allow me, I would suggest you discard that for the moment and just try GREAT ones recommended here, decide on each one on its merits, then after you've got a bit more experience, try to sort out what you like and dislike. It's sort of like wine - after a while you realise you like ALL of the different styles, once you're trying the best in each style genre.

Here's some recs:

Mall

everything Chanel
    -Antaeus
    -Platinum Egoiste (not my cup of tea but is v good quality, popular, and easily available so try it)

everything YSL (US malls don't seem to stock much of this, so you may have to rely on the net)
    -Kouros
    -Body Kouros
    -M7
    -Rive Gauche
    -L'Homme is pretty good, not to the standard of the others but more easily available

everything Guerlain
    -Vetiver
    -L'Instant
    -Habit Rouge
    -Heritage

Gucci Envy
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Ralph Lauren Safari
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Hermes Equipage
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Bvlgari Black
    Bvlgari Acqva

Caron Third Man
    Dunhill Edition
    Essenza di Zegna
    Ungaro III
    Zino Davidoff

OK so here's the deal - nearly EVERY one of the fragrances I listed can be bought on ebay for <$30 (with the exception of the Chanels and a few others). So my advice would be to try what you can on this list and other lists, don't buy at the mall, buy on ebay and get twice as many!

I was going to desribe them to help you limit your choices, but my words might bias you one way or the other, so just try them yourself!

Cheers

Ged
    Scents not at my mall:
    Antaeus and Egoiste only at Chanel Boutiques
    I can find Guerlain Vetiver and l'Instant at Sephora in the mall, but no Habit Rouge or Heritage
    Can't get M7 either

So that leaves whats left at the mall worth trying:

Pour Monsieur
    Rive Gauge
    Kouros
    Body Kouros
    Bvlgari Black

Like I said, not very many good ones at the local mall.

I second Dior Homme, YSL Body Kouros and M7, Bvlgari Black and Burberry London.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post

Here's some recs:

Mall

everything Chanel
    -Antaeus

-Kouros
    -Body Kouros
    -M7
    -Rive Gauche

everything Guerlain
    -Vetiver
    -L'Instant
    -Habit Rouge
    -Heritage

Gucci Envy
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Ralph Lauren Safari
    Hermes Terre d'Hermes
    Hermes Equipage
    Bvlgari Pour Homme
    Bvlgari Black
    Bvlgari Acqva

Caron Third Man
    Dunhill Edition
    Essenza di Zegna
    Ungaro III
    Zino Davidoff

Cheers

Ged
    Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    Scents not at my mall:
    Antaeus and Egoiste only at Chanel Boutiques
    I can find Guerlain Vetiver and l'Instant at Sephora in the mall, but no Habit Rouge or Heritage
    Can't get M7 either

So that leaves whats left at the mall worth trying:

Pour Monsieur
    Rive Gauge
    Kouros
    Body Kouros
    Bvlgari Black

Like I said, not very many good ones at the local mall.
    I think it all depends on what can be found at your "local mall".

I have recently seen Antaeus, Egoiste, Habit Rouge, and Heritage in department stores at local malls. Some Dillards are now carrying the Bois 1920 line. Villoresi Piper Nigrum can be found in Caswell-Massey stores. I have seen Santa Maria Novella fragrances in Macys. I think L'Occitane makes some very good fragrances.

Some stores at local malls include Neiman Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdales - so you can find Creed, L'Artisan, Armani Privee, and other "niche" fragrances, as well as some top notch "designer" fragrances.

Another good place to look for/sample fragrances at the mall are smaller fragrance stores (Perfumania, etc.) - most malls have at least one of these. I find this a good place to test older or hard to find fragrances that may not be carried in bigger department stores anymore - such as Yatagan, Rive Gauche, M7, etc. Then if I decide I like it, I go home and order it online (cheaper).

So again, to Tweker, I would suggest sampling as many fragrances as possible (order samples, e-mail fragrance houses and ask for samples, go to the mall) and then make an informed purchasing decision on what you like the most.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th May 2008 at 09:44 PM.

Judging by your list and your age, Chez Bond is one I recommend often. My sister gave it to me last year, and I haven't met a person who hasn't complimented me on it. Also try YSL

If you like woody, spicy, try the original Armani - I really never smell anyone wearing it - modern, classic and will seem more unique than most of the stuff you will find at the mall. I'm also a huge fan of M7 and Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin and anything by Caron - Yatagan would be a great choice for woody, spicy, incensy.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I think it all depends on what can be found at your "local mall".

I have recently seen Antaeus, Egoiste, Habit Rouge, and Heritage in department stores at local malls. Some Dillards are now carrying the Bois 1920 line. Villoresi Piper Nigrum can be found in Caswell-Massey stores. I have seen Santa Maria Novella fragrances in Macys. I think L'Occitane makes some very good fragrances.

Some stores at local malls include Neiman Marcus, Saks, Nordstrom, and Bloomingdales - so you can find Creed, L'Artisan, Armani Privee, and other "niche" fragrances, as well as some top notch "designer" fragrances.

Another good place to look for/sample fragrances at the mall are smaller fragrance stores (Perfumania, etc.) - most malls have at least one of these. I find this a good place to test older or hard to find fragrances that may not be carried in bigger department stores anymore - such as Yatagan, Rive Gauche, M7, etc. Then if I decide I like it, I go home and order it online (cheaper).

So again, to Tweker, I would suggest sampling as many fragrances as possible (order samples, e-mail fragrance houses and ask for samples, go to the mall) and then make an informed purchasing decision on what you like the most.
    I'll just tell you what stores at my mall so you'll know where I've been coming from.

Sears, JC Pennys, and Macy's - so that means none of these listed below can be found within 200 miles of Reno, Nevada - nearest Neiman Marcus and Sak's is San Francisco, California

CREED
    L'ARTISAN
    ARMANI PRIVE
    BOIS 1920
    EGOISTE
    ANTAEUS
    HABIT ROUGE
    SANTA MARIA NOVELLA - NOT IN MY MACY'S
    M7
    YATAGAN

woah, my list is getting huge I'lll try to try every of them

Thanks alot for answers

if your 18, i would start with Kouros. Every 18 year old needs kouros.brings back so many memmories for me. The greatest power house frag ever, and probably different than what your friends wear! 1 squirt in summer , 3 in winter!
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

if you liked azzaro chrome legend, i recommend checking the "azzaro chrome" one. and "azzaro now" will be a perfect choice for your age. light and has a cool rose oxide accord. fresh but not citric.

Also try Armani Code / Black Code.

It's sweet, but a spicy sweetness that is very masculine.

Today I went to the mall and saw some kouros ans put some on a paper to see whata it smells like... I didnt like it at all, maybe its because it was on a piece of paper, I'll try it on my skin next time I go to the mall to shop for perfume. Do you think I might love it or the scent wont change at all?

Scent definitely smells different on skin vs. paper or blotter cards. I personally won't be able to decide if you'll like that scent or not-- for me, it didn't work very well-- but I would give it another go on skin. Your natural skin oils play a huge factor in the dry down of a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by 55karl View Post
    Scent definitely smells different on skin vs. paper or blotter cards. I personally won't be able to decide if you'll like that scent or not-- for me, it didn't work very well-- but I would give it another go on skin. Your natural skin oils play a huge factor in the dry down of a fragrance.
    Ok, I'll give it a go on my skin, I didnt think it was such a huge factor.