Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Montale Red Aoud

Firstly, I don't know why they spell it as "Aoud" and not "Oudh". If it was an attempt to spell it closer to the Arabic pronunciation, then nobody is going to be able to pronounce it the way its supposed to be unless Arabic is your native language or you are a very talented singer who can pronounce anything!

Now that I got that out of my system, let's move on to the fragrance itself!

There haven't been any in their Oudh line that had wowed me. There are quite a few that are pretty good, but nothing original or interesting enough to get it as opposed to Oudh oils.

Enter Red Oudh. WOW!!! They finally *get* it! Instead of regurgiating something and just putting Montale label on it, they finally indulged in being creative. This is the best gourmand I have ever smelled. Move over New Haarlem. Your daddy Red Oudh is in town!

Default Re: Montale Red Aoud

Please elaborate (as Bill Clinton used to say), what excactely is so "WOW!!!" about this (yet another) Aoud Montale?
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Blog Entries

Domingo,
    Its not about Oudh. Oudh might be an ingredient in it, but thats not its main character. It is bitterly sweet yet spicy with hints of civet.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Please elaborate (as Bill Clinton used to say), what excactely is so "WOW!!!" about this (yet another) Aoud Montale?

Ah ok, don't know why he use it in the name of this perfume then. But hey, what do I know? Maybe it's good for business...

Will give it a try if I think about it the next time I order me a new batch of samples, mudassir, but I must say I kind of gave up on monsieur Montale.

Blog Entries

Don't give up Domingo!

Give his Non-Oudh line a try. Patchouli Leaves is probably the most intoxicating patchouli out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Ah ok, don't know why he use it in the name of this perfume then. But hey, what do I know? Maybe it's good for business...

Will give it a try if I think about it the next time I order me a new batch of samples, mudassir, but I must say I kind of gave up on monsieur Montale.

Heh, I hated Patchouli Leaves!

Red Aoud is definitely big and when I say that, I mean it in a good way. At first I couldn't get enough of it, but with time I was actually overwhelmed by it. It did more than I wanted and I decided I wouldn't be wearing it over some of my others that were similar. I know the new owner is more than happy but the real reason I am posting here is to hmm... the word I want to use I can't think of how to spell right now, but anyway, Montale's samples! If you email them do not expect a response but instead simply a package within two weeks containing GENEROUS samples! 5 or 8ML Sprays filled to the brim! Fantastic service.

I don't have the email address handy but I'm sure someone will.

Enjoy !

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    Heh, I hated Patchouli Leaves!
    LOL, me too.
    Last edited by Domingo; 19th May 2008 at 04:33 AM.

By the way, the email address is montaleparfums@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by mudassir View Post
    Firstly, I don't know why they spell it as "Aoud" and not "Oudh". If it was an attempt to spell it closer to the Arabic pronunciation, then nobody is going to be able to pronounce it the way its supposed to be unless Arabic is your native language or you are a very talented singer who can pronounce anything!

Now that I got that out of my system, let's move on to the fragrance itself!

There haven't been any in their Oudh line that had wowed me. There are quite a few that are pretty good, but nothing original or interesting enough to get it as opposed to Oudh oils.

Enter Red Oudh. WOW!!! They finally *get* it! Instead of regurgiating something and just putting Montale label on it, they finally indulged in being creative. This is the best gourmand I have ever smelled. Move over New Haarlem. Your daddy Red Oudh is in town!

I'm with ya. I'm a huge Red Aoud fan. New Haarlem fan too. I think Aomassi by Parfumarie Generale is in the same company as far as gourmands go. I've tried almost every Montale. Most are very good to great.
    In the end I own only 3 at this time.

Black Aoud
    Red Aoud
    Aoud Flowers
    Sweet Oriental Dream - My Wifes Montale

Found the red oudh different from the other oud based Montale's, the black, the lime, queen etc but it is still as you said as well as the others a case of re-inventing the wheel..I think without looking too hard one can find mukhallats (oil blends) predating the montale's but smelling very much alike and not to mention cheaper... Every time I put on a montale I was like hmm 'I've positively smelt that before'..Infact the black is quite alike an inexpensive one called Salwa, though I would say the Black is a more refined formulation.. I'm not much in to makhallats...I trust others can find equivalents better.
    Last edited by Taz; 19th May 2008 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zr0e View Post
    Red Aoud is definitely big and when I say that, I mean it in a good way. At first I couldn't get enough of it, but with time I was actually overwhelmed by it. It did more than I wanted and I decided I wouldn't be wearing it over some of my others that were similar.
    I agree with you, zr0e - at first, it smells great. However, after a few wearings, it does overwhelm in a bad way. For me, there was far too much going on in the composition - so much that it began smelling like a complete mess. The drydown is lovely, though (but be prepared to endure waiting a long time for it).

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I'm with ya. I'm a huge Red Aoud fan. New Haarlem fan too. I think Aomassi by Parfumarie Generale is in the same company as far as gourmands go. I've tried almost every Montale. Most are very good to great.
    In the end I own only 3 at this time.

Black Aoud
    Red Aoud
    Aoud Flowers
    Sweet Oriental Dream - My Wifes Montale
    That's a very good selection, thebeck. Respect for loving Aoud Flowers - great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I agree with you, zr0e - at first, it smells great. However, after a few wearings, it does overwhelm in a bad way. For me, there was far too much going on in the composition - so much that it began smelling like a complete mess. The drydown is lovely, though (but be prepared to endure waiting a long time for it).

That's a very good selection, thebeck. Respect for loving Aoud Flowers - great stuff!

Good to see ya Trebor. You and I have talked about Red Aoud before. Red Aoud can be overwhelming at times. Funny thing is I don't tend to wear it when I'm going out. I wear Red Aoud to bed. I didn't plan on wearing it that way, it just happened. I'm hypothesizing I must have unconsciously knew about some of the issues you have with Red Aoud also. Some how I still love it everytime I wear it, even if it's only to bed.

This is a ever changing circus of a scent on me...when i put it on in the morning, its a completely different scent in the afternoon. Careful application is essential. This, like many other Montale Aouds, can be overwhelming if over applied. But do it right, and it is a stunner.

Regards,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962 View Post
    This is a ever changing circus of a scent on me...when i put it on in the morning, its a completely different scent in the afternoon. Careful application is essential. This, like many other Montale Aouds, can be overwhelming if over applied. But do it right, and it is a stunner.

Regards,
    Steve

Absolutely. It'll clear a room if over applied.
    I am nursing a Montale sample and definitely need to get me a full bottle of the Red. I like it all the way through and when I come home at night, it's still as satisfying as when I applied in the the AM.

How many scents can you say that about?

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    Absolutely. It'll clear a room if over applied.
    I am nursing a Montale sample and definitely need to get me a full bottle of the Red. I like it all the way through and when I come home at night, it's still as satisfying as when I applied in the the AM.

How many scents can you say that about?
    I feel the same as you about Red Aoud. Sliver Aoud has knocked me on my ass too. Just bought 100ml bottle.

I hated most Montale Aouds on the first sniff, before starting to like them (though of the few I've smelled I only find Royal Aoud bottle-worthy), but this one is quite good from the beginning - or maybe I'm just getting more used to Oudh. It smells like milk chocolate spiced up with chili and rosewater. I actually get a capsaicin-reaction in my nose and on my tonuge from whatever chili-component is in here. The spiciness, florality and oudh-notes keep each other's potential excessiveness in check while making for a very very rich total impression. A small spray of this on my arm is literally billowing up in to the room like an olfactory Old Faithful. Great stuff, but no need for a bottle, since this sample spray alone should last a year or so This should be pretty good on adventurous women, too.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    (though of the few I've smelled I only find Royal Aoud bottle-worthy),
    i loved Royal Aoud as well! isnt it just a perfectly balanced frag. on Red Aoud, i just cudnt shake the image of it being a spicier, earthy version of Dior Homme. somehow after the treatment of Iris in Dior homme, everythin else pales in comparison...i think it maybe a temporary phase for me..Dior Homme is my First crush...and we all know we hard to forget first crush

Montale Red? Make mine a Vetyver.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    i loved Royal Aoud as well! isnt it just a perfectly balanced frag. on Red Aoud, i just cudnt shake the image of it being a spicier, earthy version of Dior Homme. somehow after the treatment of Iris in Dior homme, everythin else pales in comparison...i think it maybe a temporary phase for me..Dior Homme is my First crush...and we all know we hard to forget first crush
    Well, RA is a a spicy gourmand, which works well for me, while I could never shake the "lady's handbag" / lipstick etc. connotations on dior homme, and despite finding it a well-constructed scent, I just never wear it. I have to say that the most amazing Iris note I've smelled is in TDC's Bois d'Iris - too bad it fades so quickly, if that opening held up for three hours, it would be in my top 5.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Well, RA is a a spicy gourmand, which works well for me, while I could never shake the "lady's handbag" / lipstick etc. connotations on dior homme, and despite finding it a well-constructed scent, I just never wear it. I have to say that the most amazing Iris note I've smelled is in TDC's Bois d'Iris - too bad it fades so quickly, if that opening held up for three hours, it would be in my top 5.
    well i used to say the same about Dior Homme as well..and i had to bite the bullet ...but hey, i understand ur perspective (to each his own) and i value your comments highly otherwise on the frag reviews section.. will give TDC a shot.

Basenotes Institution

Tried this for the 1st time yesterday (thanks jock_with_scents).

I have to agree with what has already been said - it's a oud based gourmand. I got the chocolate note buried deep within, and something candied. The salty and medicinal 'house' oud note by Montale can get a little grating and irritating and although I love Black Aoud I don't need yet another rose/aoud combo. Red Aoud is different enough to make it interesting.

I love the way the sweetness interplays with the oud.

I wore it from a small sample - but I could easily sense how if this was over applied it could end up smelling muddled and claustrophobic.

Red Aoud is good... except for that almond note (correct me if I'm wrong). I find it annoying how it rears it's head out every 10 minutes.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Having finally worked my way to sampling Red Aoud, I agree with Mudassir that it's a fantastic fragrance.... it teeters on the edge of gourmand with it's mixture of cocoa and oud, but as other people have mentioned, it veers here and there, but always in a cogent way. Even with disparate notes it never becomes the slightest bit messy, and there is tremendous balance between the sweet notes and the bitterness of the oud. I haven't quite tried all of them, but Red is currently may fave from the line. I do have high hopes for Aoud Leather, of which I have a sample on the way.

Speaking of gourmand ouds, I'm currently testing Micallef's Aoud Vanille, which I am enjoying a lot. Given that Montale has made an Aoud/[insert note] accord with almost everything in perfumery, including melon (Aoud Shiny) and that they have a multitude of vanillas fragrances (Bois, Ecstacy, Absolu), it's curious they never released their own "Aoud Vanille". Maybe that will be the 7,453rd release, probably do some time later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Even with disparate notes it never becomes the slightest bit messy, and there is tremendous balance between the sweet notes and the bitterness of the oud. I haven't quite tried all of them, but Red is currently may fave from the line.

Speaking of gourmand ouds, I'm currently testing Micallef's Aoud Vanille, which I am enjoying a lot...
    I agree!

Red Aoud is by far my favorite Montale oud. (no surprise given my penchant for foody scents) I own Red Aoud in both the regular concentration as well as the extra parfum concentration (a decant and a bottle) -- and I love them in both concentrations. The 'texture' of the concentrated version is somewhat different and the initial blast gives off an aura that is reminescent of fragrant rice. I find that it works well in the heat despite feeling like a 'winter' scent. Lovers of gourmands who are reluctant about oud should give it a try!

I am also enjoying Aoud Vanille actually, although the 'price for entry' at $180 sans shipping is a bit prohibitive. What I appreciate about Micallef's oud-based scents are that they do not revolve around an ingredient that is ubiquitous in a large portion of Montale's creations -- those damn bloody roses.

I have fallen for Red Aoud as well. I haven't considered it full bottle worthy yet though (first because of the cost but also for the reasons Trebor and others have mentioned: that it's delicious but after a while can be quite overwhelming).

I'm sure it's far more complicated than this, but something tells me every time I wear it that the chocolate sensation experienced in Red Aoud seems very similar to Montale's own Chocolate Greedy. I'm curious if anyone else has thought this. It's uncanny as far as I'm concerned but I could be completely off base.

EDIT: I'll save everyone the trouble I am wearing both right now and quite frankly they aren't really that similar to my nose. Funny how our brains come up with these things at times. As I go back and forth, Red Aoud's chocolate olfactory trick is somehow practically lost when compared to the real, nutty chocolate sensation given by Chocolate Greedy. But wait... hm... I'm not completely sure I was that far off... who knows. The want to compare the two comes and goes.
    Last edited by nthny; 4th April 2009 at 06:59 AM.