Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Heeley - any more info on this...

well as you all know by now, sample is not an option available to me. im pretty intrigued about this brand and i'm sure i would love what i would smell. their releases like Cuir Pleine Fleur and Cardinal has my curiousity level jump a mile...

i was in a creed spree off late and what Irish said in a recent post (ppl going in for creeds should have some aquisition problems, Hell ya, i guess ur right... darn...i hate it whn ppl are right) has made me research a bit more on luckyscents.

unfortunaltey there are not many reviews on this brand on BN...which IMHO is just missed out by our fellow bners....i have noticed jock wiht scents is an ardent follower of Cardinal and i'm sure many of you out there are too....

so, may i hear it for Heeley? what's been your experience with this brand?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Heeley - any more info on this...

The only Heeley scent I have tried is Cardinal.

Cardinal is an excellent incense-laden oriental fragrance. To my nose, it is a lighter version of Avignon, which I already owned.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Post Thanks / Like

I wrote a few reviews for Perfume Smellin' Things a while back and I seem to recall that Cardinal was A LOT like Avignon but not as long lasting or heavy. The Cuir (Fine Leather) is amazing with a strong violet accord that makes this out of the ordinary. I also tried Spirit of the Tiger but if you don't like Tiger Balm, stay away from this one. I remember that the real Tiger Balm lasted longer. Heeley has a new aquatic that I am interested in trying but so far, Cuir Pleine Fleur is my favorite of the bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    I wrote a few reviews for Perfume Smellin' Things a while back and I seem to recall that Cardinal was A LOT like Avignon but not as long lasting or heavy. The Cuir (Fine Leather) is amazing with a strong violet accord that makes this out of the ordinary. I also tried Spirit of the Tiger but if you don't like Tiger Balm, stay away from this one. I remember that the real Tiger Balm lasted longer. Heeley has a new aquatic that I am interested in trying but so far, Cuir Pleine Fleur is my favorite of the bunch.
    wow,,cardinal a lot like avignon...i already own the Avignon..maybe i shld skip this one...tiger balm..i better stay away from tht one as well.. The Cuir - i need to add tht to my list...thnx Guys!

sel marin (new aquatic) sounds a lot like erolfa and MI to me from the notes perspective...

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried all three and liked them, but always thought that something else was similar and better. Cardinal is brighter and less dusty smelling than Avignon and I can imagine some people finding it more wearable, but I prefer Avignon and I also have other incense frags I'm also already perfectly happy with. Likewise with the leather one. It's OK, but I prefer Royal English Leather, which it somewhat resembles. Spirit of the Tiger is fun, but hey, you can always just buy Tiger Balm, right? All the Heeley frags are good, but with so many other great houses around, I don't think they particularly stand out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyprince View Post
    I've tried all three and liked them, but always thought that something else was similar and better. Cardinal is brighter and less dusty smelling than Avignon and I can imagine some people finding it more wearable, but I prefer Avignon and I also have other incense frags I'm also already perfectly happy with. Likewise with the leather one. It's OK, but I prefer Royal English Leather, which it somewhat resembles. Spirit of the Tiger is fun, but hey, you can always just buy Tiger Balm, right? All the Heeley frags are good, but with so many other great houses around, I don't think they particularly stand out.
    Tonyprince has got this right. It's an OK house with nothing negative or too postive to get excited about. I've tried them all, except the new one Sel Marin. I happen to own a bottle of Menthe Fraiche which is just a fresh mint scent. I wear it from time to time but can't recommend any body else buy a bottle unless you really like mint, then I would suggest DSH Menthe Moderne as a better longer lasting mint.

I like this house because their fragrances are delicate and subtle. I prefer quiet, unoffensive EDT's which is exactly what they offer. I own a bottle of Iris Nuit and Menthe Fraiche and would someday want Cuir Pleine Fleur and Cardinal. I don't like Spirit of the Tiger as it reminds me too much of my grandfather's use of Tiger Balm to relieve aches. Cedre Blanc has a cumin note that I don't exactly admire. I haven't tried Verveine and Figuier as I'm sure these have been done better by other fragrance houses. I am very interested in trying their latest - Sel Marin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    I like this house because their fragrances are delicate and subtle. I prefer quiet, unoffensive EDT's which is exactly what they offer. I own a bottle of Iris Nuit and Menthe Fraiche and would someday want Cuir Pleine Fleur and Cardinal. I don't like Spirit of the Tiger as it reminds me too much of my grandfather's use of Tiger Balm to relieve aches. Cedre Blanc has a cumin note that I don't exactly admire. I haven't tried Verveine and Figuier as I'm sure these have been done better by other fragrance houses. I am very interested in trying their latest - Sel Marin.
    Isp_NY has got it right too. Heeley could be the house for you if you prefer delicate, subtle, quiet and unoffensive EDT's.
    But I guess that's why Heeley's not for me. When I wear perfume I want to smell it.
    Last edited by thebeck; 20th May 2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: add verbage

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the previous posters, it is not that the Helley frags are inferior in any way, it's just that they are a bit more user-friendly than some of the frags that many of us on basenotes prefer. I could easily imagine wearing some Helley frags (esp. Cardinal); it's just that some more adventurous ones trump them for me.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    wow,,cardinal a lot like avignon...i already own the Avignon..maybe i shld skip this one...
    Yes - jenson. That was what I was going to say, when I read your initial post.

I was underwhelmed by Cardinal. Owning the Incense Series by Comme des Garcons (which I do) made owning it obsolete.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes - jenson. That was what I was going to say, when I read your initial post.

I was underwhelmed by Cardinal. Owning the Incense Series by Comme des Garcons (which I do) made owning it obsolete.
    Thnx guys! i got 4 of the 5 CDG from the incense series(ouarzazate is the only one missing). and then when i saw the description of Heeley cardinal, it had me all charged up...well, i was hoping to hear this is a good one...seems not.

Once again, thanx guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Heeleys are terrific fragrances, but they are for younger guys, or people who like their fragrances very light. It is the next iteration of the Gendarme sensibility. Light, airy, subtle and charmingly young. I love the Fine Leather, but realized it is best on an under 30 guy, not an over 50 guy. I do like Cardinal a lot also, but wear Avignon. Some people like solid colors, others pastels. Heeley would appeal to the pastels crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Their releases like Cuir Pleine Fleur and Cardinal has my curiousity level jump a mile...So, may i hear it for Heeley? what's been your experience with this brand?
    I just tried Cuir Pleine Fleur at Barneys yesterday and I was extremely impressed by it. A light, modern leather, that would certainly work well within the Hermes line-up.
    Cardinal to me is much more wearable than the heavy Comme des Garcons offerings, but I'm sticking with Etro's Mess de Minut for now for my Catholic Mass fix. Heeley is a very modern house, that won't appeal to lovers of powerhouse scents. I'm in a less is more mode these days. BTW, I love their packaging, too.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 27th August 2009 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I just tried Cuir Pleine Fleur at Barneys yesterday and I was extremely impressed by it. A light, modern leather, that would certainly work well within the Hermes line-up.
    Cardinal to me is much more wearable than the heavy Comme des Garcons offerings, but I'm sticking with Etro's Mess de Minut for now for my Catholic Mass fix. Heeley is a very modern house, that won't appeal to lovers of powerhouse scents. I'm in a less is more mode these days. BTW, I love their packaging, too.
    wow, this is a blast from the past moment for me

since the time i had posted this thread, i sampled Cuir Pleine Fleur, which imho is one of the best representation of pure used leather (and not finished).
    the only other scent that i have tried from this line is the Spirit of the Tiger and only god knows how underrated this gem is. very intense herbal scent with civetish powdery drydown. lovely! i'm still curious about the rest of their offerings...one thing is evident, the quality is defintiely top notch.
    Last edited by jenson; 27th August 2009 at 01:42 PM.

I have all 10 of their fragrances and haven't found anything about them I don't like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have all 10 of their fragrances and haven't found anything about them I don't like.
    j-e-s-u-s... good for you man...which is the one you "dont" have

Their scents really intrigue me, but I have no option of sampling it here, unless I get samples from perfumed court or luckyscent. I really wish they had a sample program a la Ormonde Jayne.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    They have TEN?

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I really liked Spirit Of The Tiger - it's really not all that much like Tiger Balm . It's fresh and unique - I loved it I would probably own a bottle if I didn't lem so many others too .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Avignon is brash. Cardinal's more urbane, quite limpid as all Heeleys are, and slightly better balanced than the former. It also really comes down to what basic combination you're more compelled by:

frankincense-vetiver-amber (Card);

or

frankincense-elemi-patchouli (Av).

Spirit of the Tiger is clever, but a textbook example of death by association in perfume. Iris de Nuit just made me realise I don't care for iris soliflores. As for the rest of 'em, they're queued on my massive Luckyscent wishlist (unless some charitable soul is reading this...).
    Last edited by Hide & Reason; 29th August 2009 at 10:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So far i have only tried the fig fragrance which IMO is the best I have tried at all.
    Fresh, natural-smelling (I mean the smell, not the ngredients but from what i have encountered the ingredients should be as well) and just really good.

Thanks alot for pointing out this house, moved to the top of my sampling list.

I've only tried Sel Marin so far. Here's what I wrote in my testing spreadsheet:

Subtle fresh sea air & water with a bit of seaweed - nice! Synthetic note part way through drydown, but I still like it.

Listed notes for that one are Lemon, Bergamot. Sea Salt, Seaweed. Vetiver, Birch, and Cedar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    So far i have only tried the fig fragrance which IMO is the best I have tried at all.
    Fresh, natural-smelling (I mean the smell, not the ngredients but from what i have encountered the ingredients should be as well) and just really good.

Thanks alot for pointing out this house, moved to the top of my sampling list.
    I totally agree with the fig fragrance being the one of the best figs out there. Other than that I have only tired Cardinal and I liked it very much.
    Evenstar

Post Thanks / Like

How would Heeley's fig compare to Philosykos, currently my favorite fig fragrance?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense