Code of Conduct

Default Mouchoir de Monsieur for a female? what do you think?

After reading through the directory reviews on this Guerlain classic, Mouchoir de Mousieur, I'm hesitant to give it a try.

I like Jicky, which it is referenced to repeatedly; somehow this one intimidates me.

Does anyone have experience with this scent?

TIA

Default Re: Mouchoir de Monsieur for a female? what do you think?

Its beautiful scent...I think it would be great on a woman. The topnotes are a bit more citrus-heavy than jicky, but the rest is perfection. I think the associations with jicky are there because of the civet. Still worth trying though.

Yes, yes, yes

I have Jicky edp, and really do get the similarities with MdM. MdM is more cologne-like though, probably from the citrus. It is definitely not overly masculine.

Sounds wonderful - I'm going to sample it. Thank you.

Mouchoir de Monsieur is definitely a close cousin of Jicky. If you like Jicky, you are bound to like MdM. If you can't wear Jicky - MdM may be enough different that it would work. Does for me. I tried and tried to like and wear Jicky EDP, and it never smelled that good on me (got a sweaty, peppery meat smell on me), but MdM was perfection.

And I like the extra citrus up front, and the extra civet on the dry down. Keeps it away from the unpleasant notes I had with Jicky.

Given its lighter nature (despite the extra civet!) it may work better in the summer!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 15th May 2008 at 05:46 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

The citrus up front sounds wonderful to me. The Jicky formulation I prefer is the EDT, but I don't own it - I'm just basing my opinion on dept store samplings. That is the formulation where I get less of the meat smell.

I'm so looking forward to testing MM. Thanks for the advice.

Oh Yes it does work on women.

I bought it blind and adore MdM. There is a similarity to Jicky, I have heard it described as Jicky's little brother. Compared to Jicky MdM seems more delicate in nature, gentle airy.
    DONNA

*sigh*
    add another one to my list of lemmings...

Sounds gorgeous for real summer heat..
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

MdM's a smaller verson of Jicky. It's also less sweet and less cloying with body heat. I smell more civet in Jicky.

Women can wear any men's fragrance.

The descriptions are sounding wonderful - in fact, perfect for what I'm looking for - a slightly edgier smell, hopefully from a masculine scent so people are surprised when they ask me what I'm wearing - to get out of my feminine frag stereotype rut. Thank you!

Pluran - Your comment interests me because I also want to try Antaeus. Do you think the reverse is equally true - that men can wear any women's fragrance?
    Last edited by seattlelight; 16th May 2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: forgot to ask question

If you like Jicky, you should have no trouble with MdM, either. I love both, but MdM is still on my wishlist.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

MdM is more aromatic and spicy than Jicky, but very much a similar beast. I disagree with the other posters and feel Jicky has less civet than MdM - I think the civet actually makes Jicky what it is. That said MdM is also fantastic and would work well on anybody who is looking for something very Proustian.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th May 2008 at 03:12 AM.

A spicier and aromatic Jicky might be just the thing - I get a lot of clean, fresh lavender from Jicky - the parfum formulation, some meat from the EDP and a good combo of citrus/lavender/civet from the EDT, which would be great if it lasted through the day, but the EDT is still a tad crisp and clean and cologne like on me.

Overcome By Fumes

First off, it seems to me MdM could easily be considered appropriate for a woman. The "lines" dividing what is marketed as masculine and feminine have shifted quite a bit in the 100 years since this has been on the market. I get a nice dollop of jasmine from MdM which I don't get from Jicky. Jicky to me is way too busy, especially in the early notes, then becomes all about the vanilla later. MdM has a smoother opening and a more balanced finish, which are good qualities for a fragrance that anyone would wear.

The vanilla in Jicky is pronounced in the drydown for me as well - we're talking after about 5 hours, and is okay, but not one of my favorite effects in any frag (Shalimar unfortunately gets there in about 10 minutes with my chemistry - I never wear it). As you describe, there is an "early business" about Jicky. I happen to like the combination of notes, but that's a great way to describe it and I think that quality goes a long way to making it appealing to so many. Most people could find a note / smell in there pretty readily (even if they can't specifically name it) that is enjoyable on its own - lavender, citrus, vanilla, civet.

Thanks for the input - I purchased a sample of MdM and can't wait to try it out!
    Last edited by seattlelight; 18th May 2008 at 02:37 AM.

I agree - MdM has significantly more civet than Jicky. It is a beautiful scent, however, and women will have no trouble wearing it. In fact, I layer Jicky extrait with a few spritzes of MdM - it gives the Jicky more umph and the MdM more longevity.

Teddius

Thank you for that excellent idea, Teddius. I'm generally fearful of layering - don't trust my judgement in that regard, I guess, but these two sound made for it.