Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Scent Synchronization Day...

It's been a longtime since the last scent synchronization day and, since we've not yet had one with the new boards, I'd like the idea of it. So I've posted this thread in the SOTD board.
    But I'd like to go with it a bit different from the usual, like not synchronizing on a single scent that could limit people to be in; I'd like mass participation, so my proposal is to have a house synchronization this time, like everybody wearing a Guerlain or a Chanel etc....
    I was thinking to do it maybe next friday, so what do you fellows think about it? Which house should be the one?
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 9th May 2008 at 08:49 AM.

Default Re: Scent Synchronization Day...

Good idea, count me in!

Matter of fact we had a SL week and a Guerlain week last year. Chanel sounds ..... refreshing!

My vote is for Guerlain and not only because it is one of my most loved Houses.

There are simply more fragrances to choose from when you make it a Guerlain Day, including some fresh eaux and AA's.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I agree with Riannon about Guerlain being probably the best choice - the fragrances are widely available, the range covers just about every situation I can think of (male/ female; business/leisure; warm/cold weather etc etc)
    But if we want to choose a different house, what about Hermes?
    Lots to choose from there too, though not so affordable or necessarily widely available. But I think that would be an issue whichever house we decide on.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

A House Party with Guerlain sounds good to me too!
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Great idea, Mag! I like the fact that we'll be able to all wear our favorite rather than 1 specific scent. I'd be very happy with Guerlain and think it's one of the best options, so my vote goes out to that house as well.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Magnifiscent, this is a great idea!

I don't wear Chanel as much as Guerlain, so Chanel would be refreshing but I am open to any house you select.

Just one request, please do not select another house that starts with "C".
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Hey TwoRoads,
    does Christian Dior counts as C or D for you?
    Anyway, to anybody, I just named Guerlain and Chanel to give an example, but feel free to suggest others like L'artisan, or Givenchy, or CDG or whatever you want. Just keep in mind maybe with your suggestion that, the wider is the offer from that house, the higher are the probabilities to have people participating in the synch day

I like the idea of having stipulations for a SSD (Synchronized Scent Day) instead of just one specific
    scent.

We can have things like the color of the juice, perfumer, scent notes like lemon or myrrh, class classes like chypre or oriental and like the current suggestion of a specific house.

So currently, my votes for House Representatives Chanel or Dior.

TwoRoads was referring to Creed, I suppose.

I will go with what the majority decides on.

It has been a lot of fun reading about the scents picked for the sniff and speak threads and finding something I could wear for the latest ones. This sound intriguing as well.

I'd love to play. Choosing a house instead of a scent makes it a bit easier on those of us with less extensive bottle and sample collections (so far)

I give my vote for the house of Chanel, and I have always enjoyed Chanel fragrances. I am not exactly on good terms with Guerlain, since they decided to change things and become more 'exclusive'.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

Personally I would prefer a little change so I'd vote for Chanel or l'Artisan this time. But if I have to go with diffusion among Basenoters, I guess everyone owns at least a full bottle or a sample of a Guerlain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

I'd like to vote for Guerlain. I have Chanel Allure and love it, but this opportunity is really for Guerlain Vetiver because I've never given it a serious wear.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Good call Magnifiscent! Now that there is a board for the sole purpose of SotD, we could even do these SSDs with more frequency. Why not Chanel AND Guerlain, back to back? I'll throw my vote out there for Chanel first.

Also, SotDD - Scent of the Decade Day was a lot of fun.

Basenotes Institution

Great idea Magnificent - a 'poll' with this particular question (and houses that we all can vote on with a cut off date of say, Wednesday next week) might be a good idea, no?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I'm down with either Chanel, Guerlain, or L'Artisan.
    I also like the idea of specific perfumeurs, I have recently realized how many of the scents I really like are Jean-Calude Ellena scents. I think having an SSD around a perfumeur will get me to realize other scents from perumeurs I laready like a lot but just didn't know it.
    Mike's idea of a poll is a good one with the winner going a week from today.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Lisa, you just want Hermes for an Ambre Narguile excuse don't you ? I don't really mind what house. I'd prefer Guerlain over Chanel, but ideally, i'd like something really different - Like FM, CdG, TF!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Great idea Magnificent - a 'poll' with this particular question (and houses that we all can vote on with a cut off date of say, Wednesday next week) might be a good idea, no?
    Sure it is Mike, but like in every elections I liked to let the houses supporters do their own campaign before the vote
    I will collect the most named houses after a few days and then put them in a poll. This should help to have a huge agreement and therefore a wide participation I hope
    So please folks, let me know your fav candidates!
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 10th May 2008 at 12:47 AM.

Sounds like fun ! I'd be happy with either Guerlain or Chanel, I have quite a few to choose from either house

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    TwoRoads was referring to Creed, I suppose.
    You know me so well!

Yes, the big Creed
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 10th May 2008 at 01:31 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I don't own any Chanel, but Guerlain would be fine! I'm also throwing L'Artisan and Serge Lutens in there.

I love the idea of a scent synchronization by juice colour!

I'm in! My "house votes" (in rough preference order) are for: Chanel, L'Artisan, Guerlain, and Caron. And for "Juice by Color Day," I want green so we can do an Envy/Envy Men, some of the DKNY and latest absinthe fragrances...
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

When I was an even newer noobie I just LOVED that on S'n'S Saturdays we'd all be wearing a scent of the same type. So interesting the choices all around the world. Then we did weeks of Lutens and a week of Guerlains. And a Whole diversity month with the option of women "noses".

I'll opt for Guerlain for this go-around cuz - as has been pointed out - it's most likely that everyone's got at least one. Next time - with more notice - perhaps we could chose a more niche, or C or a D or a nose...or...or....
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

What about going slumming sometime? Like Avon or Coty It might be fun!

Must say I'm more of a fan of Dior or YSL but Guerlain/Chanel/Lutens/etc sounds good to me too - of them my vote would be Guerlain (Champs Elysees for me and perhaps get the bf to participate too in Spiritueuse Double Vanille sample )

Now you mention it Hermes is nice idea.... Also don't mind slumming - I don't think I have any Avon or Coty, but I'm sure there's some Revlon around.

Great idea, Mag. In order of my preference - Chanel, Guerlain, Hermes, Yves Saint Laurent, Dior.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Flip a coin ... or flip a series. I don't know how else you arrive at a decision.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

My vote goes for Hermes. My second choice is Guerlain.
    But i will be happy to participate no matter what house wins.

I also think it would be interesting to do the next SSD by perfumer. Because warm weather is here i would go with JC Ellena or Olivia Giacobetti. Just a thought.

Ok my dear Basenotes fellows,
    after three days of collecting ideas, let me take a decision.
    I know I risk to be unpopular maybe, but you know... no risk no glory
    Seems the most voted houses have been Guerlain and Chanel, followed by Hermčs. But since as you know we had an extensive Guerlain week the last year, I'd like to go with Chanel this time.
    Scents are widely available as well, and there are many options too, from the young'n easy coco madamoiselle and the many Allure Homme Sport to the good ol' classic No. 5 and Pour Monsieur to the posh Les Exclusifs, so everybody can be satisfied.
    I agree also that would be perfect to have the next SSD made by nose, why not doing it on May 30? Both Ellena and Giacobetti sounds nice. Another good option can be Pierre Bourdon.

Btw, for this friday I think I will wear Bois des Iles

Bois del Iles for me as well, brother!

Let me mark the calendar, please, FRIDAY MAY 30 sounds good.

I think I will be able to mail 1 or 2 small samples of this glorious Chanel to our fellow Basenoters. If so, you know what to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Bois del Iles for me as well, brother!

Let me mark the calendar, please, FRIDAY MAY 30 sounds good.

I think I will be able to mail 1 or 2 small samples of this glorious Chanel to our fellow Basenoters. If so, you know what to do!
    O.K. Let me get this straight. This coming Friday - May 16 will be Chanel. (Coco!!)

Friday, May 30th will be a nose - for whom we are going to vote?
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    O.K. Let me get this straight. This coming Friday - May 16 will be Chanel. (Coco!!)

Friday, May 30th will be a nose - for whom we are going to vote?
    Exact Taolady
    Friday May 16 - Scent House Synchronization Day: Chanel
    Friday May 30- Scent Nose Synchronization Day

Nevertheless it's so close, I hope everybody will be able to get at least a sample of any chanel for this friday.
    As I already said for the noses my proposals are Ellena, Giacobetti, Bourdon and let me add also Duchaufour.

Chanel it is!

Perhaps Egoiste for me, Bois des Isles' alter-ego.

For perfumers, let's not forget Alberto Morillas and Maurice Roucel. Both have created a good mix of fragrances for each gender.

I could do Guerlain, Chanel of Hermes! But any excuse to wear Chanel - I am itching to wear Cristalle to the office!
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naďve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Bromo33333 View Post
    I could do Guerlain, Chanel of Hermes! But any excuse to wear Chanel - I am itching to wear Cristalle to the office!
    WoW! Cristalle to the office hehe... I'm sure you'll rock da haus!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I'm stoked! Les Exclusifs Bel Respiro it is!
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I don't own anything that is Chanel anymore. So we are synchronizing my house on Friday and by nose on the 30th? That should be interesting to see. I wish I still had Egoiste...

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    I don't own anything that is Chanel anymore. So we are synchronizing my house on Friday and by nose on the 30th? That should be interesting to see. I wish I still had Egoiste...
    Too bad you don't have at least a sample of any chanel.
    I wish I could be able to send you a sample of Allure Homme Sport at least but, maybe, you can ask for one around in some store or to some close fellow here...
    And, yep, friday 30 will be scent nose synch day and I really look forward to have you in mate! Btw, which are the noses you propose for it?

Someone's gotta tell me who made what perfume (For Nose Day, May 30) because I sure as hell don't and the directory usually doesn't list them.

I'm on board.
    Bois des Iles on Friday. I love that one. I got a sample from kumquat, and it is most definitely FBW.
    Sir Slarty, here's the link to NowSmellThis for a list of perfumers:
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...umersAtoG.html

Me too (pending remembering! :P) Perfect timing with the Coco Mademoiselle sample Taolady!

For perfumers my vote goes to Annick Menardo or Pierre Bourdon (just an excuse to wear Dolce Vita )

so... it's either Coromandel or Cristalle... those are my Chanels, and I love them both. I'll see what the weather's like!
    I vote for Jean Claude Ellena. I'm also experiencing an attack of minimalism.

Blog Entries

I was hoping for Guerlain I don't own any Chanel.
    Looking for:
    Versace Man eau Fraiche - Please PM me if you have it!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...r8877/haha.jpg

Thanks for the link purplebird7!
    Don't worry SirSlarty, once decided which nose we're going to celebrate, I'll take care of publishing a long list of scents made by this nose so that everybody will be able to find something to participate

I don't have any Chanel yet, either...

Maybe I'll go by JC Penny and "sample" a few hits of Anteus on my way to work

Actually I think that's a great idea Big Scooter - Scent Synchro gives us all a poke in the ribs to go and sample something we maybe wouldn't usually try. Im lucky - I do have a bit of Chanel tucked away but maybe this is the shove I need to go in the perfume shop on my way to the supermarket and finally retry No.5 now I'm more 'perfume educated'. It never used to like me, so I'll be interested to see if it still smells like cherry cough mixture on me (or if maybe I now like smelling of cherry cough mixture).
    Depending on my mood on the day I might be in Coco or Bois des Iles. And I feel very grand saying that!
    Last edited by Wordbird; 14th May 2008 at 04:17 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by jillsy View Post
    Me too (pending remembering! :P) Perfect timing with the Coco Mademoiselle sample Taolady!
    We'll be Scent Twins! CoCoCoCo!!!

Basenotes Institution

Sounds great.

Here's the thing...I don't own any Chanel fragrances because most of them that I try, I don't like. It's just one of those houses that I have tried to like, but so many of them make me uncomfortable wearing them. Even the Chanel Exclusifs that I've tried (Bel Respiro I got one of those mini samples from the boutique) just smelled off on my skin.

So, I'm going to have to figure out if I'm going to participate or not. Maybe I should try something I've never worn before, hoping there still is ONE Chanel scent I can enjoy!? I mean I wanna play on Friday 16th like everyone else!

((crossing fingers))
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Yeah Mike boy!
    C'mon, put on some CC juice and join da party! I want you in!

Btw, I know you're not afraid to wear feminines, so if you haven't had the chance to try Coco (not the madamoiselle) or Antaeus, maybe they might work for you. Actually they are probably the most different Chanels in the line.
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 15th May 2008 at 08:28 AM.

Although I don't have any full bottles of Chanels, I do have a sample of Allure Homme, so count me in!

As for nose synchronization day, here's five ideas:
    -Alberto Morillas (Mugler Cologne, Acqua di Gio Homme, Attitude, cK one, Daisy, M7)
    -Pierre Bourdon (Cool Water, Ferre, French Lover, Dolce Vita, Live Jazz)
    -Jacques Cavallier (Absolu, Bvlgari pour Homme, Elle, M7, L'eau d'Issey, L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme, JPG Classique)
    -Jean-Paul Guerlain (we know the ones)
    -Francis Kurkdjian (Armani Mania Pour Homme, Eau Noire, F Ferragamo, Gaultier2, Iris Nobile, Le Male, Miss Charming, Narciso Rodriguez for her and for him, Rose Barbare)
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Yay, I got some nice samples from Nordstroms, I'll do Bois des Iles for sotd and then the spicy Coromandel for sote

Yeah!!! Coco tomorrow!!!

BTW, wouldn't it be fun to do a "5 star day"?! Everyone wears one of Turin/Sanchez's 5 star frags as per Perfumes The Guide!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 15th May 2008 at 08:24 PM.

I'm with Mike on the Chanels. Unfortunately we don't see eye to eye, but as luck would have it, I do have two C decants that are ok on me, so I can at least participate!

The noses day sounds fun. Hope I have something in my "stores"!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Chanel is a good choice! One of my top 5 resides there! I'll join you "tomorrow"
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    BTW, wouldn't it be fun to do a "5 star day"?! Everyone wears one of Turin/Sanchez's 5 star frags as per Perfumes The Guide!
    Yes, but that means I would have to buy the book.

I wanted to be the last one!

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Yes, but that means I would have to buy the book.

I wanted to be the last one!
    Nope, TwoRoads....I'll be the last one, for sure, if I EVER decide to buy it. Anyway, there's a kind member on POL who did the great work to put together the Guide index (complete with stars number) - it is really well made
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Scent twins with the Zebra and Jillsy and (maybe) ubeyouetc. in

A sparkling saucy floral not overly sweet and a real crowd pleaser. "top notes: mandarin, pimento and coriander. The middle notes are: rose, carnation and cinnamon and the base of the fragrance is: amber vanilla and honey."

You guys who don't like the aloofness of the typical Chanels might like this.

(Wordbird - that is one adorable chick!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    Nope, TwoRoads....I'll be the last one, for sure, if I EVER decide to buy it. Anyway, there's a kind member on POL who did the great work to put together the Guide index (complete with stars number) - it is really well made
    Thanks, LiB!

My first thought was to suggest that we buy one and share custody of it, but the POL index thread seems to have resolved that. I will head over there and take a look!