Code of Conduct

Default Bois de Encens by Armani Prive

Any bottle owners of Bois de Encens out there. Can you tell me if it is as short lived as reviewed by many?
    I just got a sample today and I'm wearing it now. It seems to have disappeared from my wrist, yet I keep getting whiffs of it. Is it one of those that seems to disappear but really doesn't? I really like the frag, but reluctant to buy a bottle if it's short lived.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Bois de Encens by Armani Prive

Bront82 loves this scent, maybe he'll see this thread and comment.

Do you live where it's warm thebeck? I don't remember Bois de Encens having really high longevity, but perhaps the climate might have something to do with it. BdE is more of a fall/winter scent, IMO.

Nonetheless, if you do find the longevity too short, try Avignon by Comme des Garcons. Another wonderful frankincense fragrance that is much cheaper than BdE.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I have tried Bois de Encens maybe five times in cold weather (around 0 degrees Celsius), and I have exactly the same experience as you. Very close to the skin and just occasional whiffs.

Oliver Durbano´s Rock Crystal is another alternative.

I have Bois de Encens and have worn it some since it came out - a couple years or so. I normally wear this more during the winter than summer, but it can be worn anytime. It is one of the best frankincense scents there is. The BdE is very quiet in its presentation but a very deep scent. Frankincense is always a quiet scent that does not come accross very boldly. Those that do usually mix the frankincense with patchouli or other woods to pump up the volume. It's all about the frankincense with BdE and it is sort of quiet in nature - but it is a deep powerful scent.

The only frag of this type I like more is Frankincense and Myrrh by Czech and Speake. The C&S is more lively and interesting up front with mint and green notes and the drydown is very similar to Bois de Encens. It's less expensive too. I would recomend you try this one before splurging on the Armani scent. I like them both.

I think Bois d'Encens is quite overrated and the price is too high.
    Primavera offers an essential oil called arabian frankincense and it smells exactly the same.
    Price is around 10 Euro and it lasts all day. I already tested it and now own it.
    Indian frankincense is very different from arabian frankincense btw.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 20th May 2008 at 06:40 AM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I've always been satisfied with the longevity of Bois D'Encens. It last for hours on me... mind you, most scents are like that on my skin. To my mind, it has one of the best (in terms of simplicity) presentations of frankincense. It is a very pure tone. My other favorites are Malle's Bois D'Orage which has a greener opening, and Creed's Cypres-Musc which is both resinous and coniferous. Comme des Garcons' Ouzazate and Kyoto are worth a try. And Frankincense and Myrrh by Czech & Speake is pretty good. I like them all!
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I really liked jade but didn't feel the quality reflected the price. I also didn't find any of the prive to have good longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed View Post
    I think Bois d'Encens is quite overrated and the price is too high.
    Primavera offers an essential oil called arabian frankincense and it smells exactly the same.
    Price is around 10 Euro and it lasts all day. I already tested it and now own it.
    Indian frankincense is very different from arabian frankincense btw.
    I've never understood why the Prive' series is so expensive either.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Not to reopen this post but I thought it was imperative to let you guys and gals know that the Armani Boutique in New York City received eight bottles of Bois D Encens yesterday. At most they have 7 left since I ordered a bottle. Not sure the location of the store but If anyone is interested, I will put the number to the store in there inbox. 100ml for $225.00 wasn't bad imo. With tax it came up to $241 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkidd View Post
    100ml for $225.00 wasn't bad imo. With tax it came up to $241 bucks.
    Not bad at all.

By the way, I did buy a bottle soon after I posted this thread 4 years ago. Still love the scent, but never wear it because of horrible lasting power. Simply an expensive dust catcher.
    Last edited by thebeck; 22nd November 2012 at 03:09 PM.

one of the best incense scent on the market, love it.

the only downside to this is the longevity.

in term of the cost per ml, it's not that expensive if you compare to other niche houses. eg; Creed
    AUSSIES, join our exclusive niche split club.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...s-niche-splits

Currently splitting:

Amouage - Tribute, Homage and OPUS VII
    Andy Tauer - Noontide Petals, Miriam and Loretta
    HdP - Veni, Vidi, Vici and Rosam, Ambrarem, Petroleum
    The Different Company - Oud Shamash, Oud for Love and Aurore Nomade
    Guerlain - Sous Le Vent, Angélique Noire, Bois d'Armenie, Cruel Gardenia, Rose Barbare

and many more niches up for split...

Sniffed this at a Holt Renfrew over here. It smelled exactly like a church. It was quite something. I did like the smell, but not enough to get a bottle (as nice as the bottle was!)