Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford and a gardenia revolution!?

When I tested all of the twelve Tom Ford Private Blends last year, I distinctly remember my episode with Velvet Gardenia. I'll copy that post below:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    VG is a potent gardenia scent - I didn't get the 'blue cheese' notes that other people have mentioned. Just a very full-on gardenia smell, that I was glad did NOT turn powdery. Just rich, thick gardenia notes - wet almost in their smell. My partner kind of hates gardenia scents on me, so I can't imagine this FBW for me.
    Since testing and rejecting VG, I have added many florals into my wardrobe, much more than I ever thought possible. I rely on these types of scents as my go-to scents, when I can't make up my mind sometimes. I think a few of them also layer incredibly well.

I have also become much more acquainted with the smell of gardenia in nature - I now have a gardenia bush in my front yard. The natural smell (preferably at night) is amazing. It is a smell that feels as if you can almost touch it in the warm night air. A warm smell - very much like an aroma from a thick votive candle.

I need to re-test VG again soon (I retested Black Violet and actually liked it less than the first time), so it was a strange coincidence when I stumbled upon Turin's review of VG in Perfumes The Guide, where it earned four stars, the tag line 'real gardenia' and such accolades as:

'...just a few days before receiving this fragrance, I was complaining to a perfumer friend that there were no good gardenias around, when she said she'd smelled one that really worked, 'with a proper mushroom note in it'. This puzzled me, but there were no gardenias at hand to check, and I stored it under remarkable factoids. When I first smelled VG, I saw the light. Yes, gardenia makes you think that it's just a white flower, though sweeter, lemonier, fresher, more indolic, altogether prettier than the others. But the real secret to gardenia is a huge mushroom note which, once recognized, stares you in the face for the rest of your life...'

I think it's fascinating that Turin asserts that the one 'true' rendition of gardenia in fragrances is in a men's fragrance. I mean, how many men are dropping into the Tom Ford boutique on Madison Avenue to buy their $20,000 bespoke suits and then stroll into the fragrance section and walking out purchasing Mr. Ford's gardenia prominent fragrance!? I think it's incredibly revolutionary that this scent is in a mens line of fragrances. Of course, many woman (and men) will wear VG regardless of how Tom Ford markets it or categorizes it.

Still, I feel as if the gardenia note, perhaps a first in perfumery, has been finally done to smell like a natural flower (in all of it's blue cheese, stinky, mushroom-decomposition accords) and therefore...is something finally appropriate for a man. A gardenia revolution, if you will?

Would you agree?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: Velvet Gardenia by Tom Ford and a gardenia revolution!?

It didn't even occur to me until you mentioned it that the whole line would be intended for men. I knew the store only had menswear, and yet that blatant fact flew right over my head. Oy...

Anyway, I'm intrigued now. Most gardenia scents really turn me off...I can understand that they're good (when they are), but would never appeal to me as something I'd personally wear.

What's the best way to sample his stuff aside from visiting the store? TPC?

I haven't tried this or Neroli Portofino in the line, though everything else I have. It was one, that based on the notes didn't really interest me (so I've never bothered seeking a sample or trying to test it), but is the highest rated TF Private Blend in Perfumes The Guide, while my others favorites were rated poorly. I might check it out.

I know it's in a Mens clothing store (so it might be pushed more to men than women), but I still thought the entire fragrance line was marketed as unisex, wasn't it?
    Last edited by nsamadi; 21st May 2008 at 01:17 AM.

I think it's fascinating that Turin asserts that the one 'true' rendition of gardenia in fragrances is in a men's fragrance.
    From Basenotes Industry News:

Tom Ford has announced his Private Blend collection which is available from March. The range of twelve unisex fragrances can be worn alone or blended together. The fragrances have been designed with perfume connosieurs in mind, rather than to have mass-appeal. Though the dozen scents are unisex, half are more feminine and the other more masculine: "...these are fragrances for fragrance connoisseurs. I don’t think we’re going to see too many guys worrying about wearing a women’s scent." Tom Ford told WWD.
    "Oh, my Lolita, I have only words to play with!"
    - Vladimir Nabokov,
    Lolita

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    I know it's in a Mens clothing store (so it might be pushed more to men than women), but I still thought the entire fragrance line was marketed as unisex, wasn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Creek View Post
    From Basenotes Industry News:

Tom Ford has announced his Private Blend collection which is available from March. The range of twelve unisex fragrances can be worn alone or blended together. The fragrances have been designed with perfume connosieurs in mind, rather than to have mass-appeal. Though the dozen scents are unisex, half are more feminine and the other more masculine: "...these are fragrances for fragrance connoisseurs. I don’t think we’re going to see too many guys worrying about wearing a women’s scent." Tom Ford told WWD.
    Thanks guys for the clarification.

I guess when they first were released, they were exclusive to the Tom Ford flagship store and Bergdorfs. I assumed (wrongly) that this meant TF intended them for men.

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    What's the best way to sample his stuff aside from visiting the store? TPC?
    I think so - however there are TF carded samples that (if available) you might be able to score at a department store carrying the line. I have not personally experienced receiving these myself, but nsamadi posted pics of them on another thread, so I know they exist.

If you can't get ahold of the samples, I'd say The Perfumed Court or another online fragrance decanter would be your other option.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

the blue cheese notes are definitely there and not shy either, as far as I'm concerned.

I ordered some samples...VG and Oud Wood...the others didn't sound very interesting (the Violet scent was AWFUL when I had the chance to try it...blech). I didn't pursue after smelling it...hopefully these are better!

It's actually, Tom Ford's Velvet Revolution.

I can't say I've noticed any blue cheese in Velvet Gardenia, but I'll look for it next time I dab from my sample. I did get the mushroom note, once my attention was brought to it by reading LT's review. I know well what a live gardenia blossom smells like, and this fragrance is the real deal in the very top notes. I had no idea this line was intended as unisex. I think of VG as very feminine, though I don't care who wears what really. I love Black Violet too, that is a very sensual fragrance, imo, and I can see it as more "unisex". So far, I've been very impressed with Mr. Ford's fragrances (not for Estee Lauder, though). Of the three of his I've tried so far, Velvet Gardenia, Black Violet, and Black Orchid - I love them all. I can definintely see a man wearing Black Orchid - is that one intended for men as well as women?

That real, mushroomy gardenia note lasts for about 10 minutes, max. And then it's gone forever. The white flower trend is everywhere these days. From Pottery Barn to Bergdorf Goodman.
    If go into another store that reeks of tuberose, I'm going to retire my Fracas!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    ...Of the three of his I've tried so far, Velvet Gardenia, Black Violet, and Black Orchid - I love them all. I can definintely see a man wearing Black Orchid - is that one intended for men as well as women?
    If you like these lilybelle, keep your eyes out for his newest fragrance coming out soon, White Patchouli.

And yes, when Black Orchid was released it was marketed to women (ads in womens magazines, women in the models, fragrance in the womens fragrance section, etc) but now Tom Ford Beauty (rightly so) has started putting it in the mens fragrance section & marketing it more as a unisex scent.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd May 2008 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    That real, mushroomy gardenia note lasts for about 10 minutes, max. And then it's gone forever. The white flower trend is everywhere these days. From Pottery Barn to Bergdorf Goodman.
    If go into another store that reeks of tuberose, I'm going to retire my Fracas!
    It's a shame that it doesn't last, isn't it? That note is the whole point. But I tried spraying (a different gardenia frag) on my shirt front, and it I found it did last a bit longer. I know what you mean about white florals everywhere - I'm so burned out on tuberose. But I spritzed Fracas the other day for the first time in ages (vis a vis the Fracas thread here), and it's still a gorgeous scent. Maybe your Fracas just needs a vacation at the back of the closet.

If you like these lilybelle, keep your eyes out for his newest fragrance coming out soon, White Patchouli.
    That sounds intriguing.

I have also become much more acquainted with the smell of gardenia in nature - I now have a gardenia bush in my front yard. The natural smell (preferably at night) is amazing. It is a smell that feels as if you can almost touch it in the warm night air. A warm smell - very much like an aroma from a thick votive candle.
    I absolutely love gardenia. The smell is very intoxicating. I work for a nursery and I'm constantly stopping by the gardenias to cop a whiff. Unfortunately, I have no yard anymore. I gave it up for a high-rise condo with a balcony that doesn't have quite enough sun to keep one around very long.

I've been looking for a gardenia based fragrance for a while and the only one I've been trying out is Vintage Gardenia by Jo Malone. I like it but I'm still not sure if it's worthy of an entire bottle. At least JM's line has 30 ml bottles but they are still expensive. I'll have to try out Ford's VG with a sample from The Perfumed Court.

Can anyone else recommend a gardenia fragrance? I've also been wanting to try Gardenia Passion by Annick Goutal but haven't yet. Any comments on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by zestyfresh View Post
    I absolutely love gardenia. Can anyone else recommend a gardenia fragrance? I've also been wanting to try Gardenia Passion by Annick Goutal but haven't yet. Any comments on this one?
    I have Gardenia Passion, it is really a Tuberose fragrance. I think it's fantastic, but it's not gardenia. The new Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia supposedly is the only other contender to VG. I have the EdP, but Mike Perez claims that the parfum extrait is the real deal, and I do trust his nose.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 25th May 2008 at 09:49 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Can anyone else recommend a gardenia fragrance? I've also been wanting to try Gardenia Passion by Annick Goutal but haven't yet. Any comments on this one?
    Yes, what Ruggles said.

The parfum is incredibly overpriced and you can't smell it at the Lauder counter. So, do yourself a favor and smell the Eau de Parfum. Mind you, you have to like tuberose also - but PCTG blends both flowers extremely well. Mega sillage too.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll be able to get out today and try it out. I like most white florals, tuberose and neroli included.

Can I recant my recommendation of Estee Lauder's Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia? I wore it yesterday, and it's too sweet. Perhaps gardenias are better on the vine, after all.

Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll be able to get out today and try it out. I like most white florals, tuberose and neroli included.
    I suggest you try the Goutal, Serge Lutens Un Lys and La Nuit. Creed's Jasmine Imperatrice Eugenie, L'Artisans Tubereuse and Van Cleef and Arpels Murmure.

Basenotes Institution

Bringing up Velvet Gardenia as I just tested it- it's interesting and I don't get the blue cheese thankfully and the mushroom note is hard to ascertain. The gardenia note is nice but I think my skin is playing up the incense. This smells much like an Ayala Moriel one of a kind perfume I have called Tuberose Lei . Nearly exact in the drydown .
    I have to say for a real true gardenia it has to be Ajne Fleur Blanche over all I have tried so far.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.