Code of Conduct

Default Airport adventures

Finally got home yesterday, from JFK to Seoul via Tokyo. Of course, being a Basenoter, I didn't miss out on the chance to check out some stuff from duty-free stores. I was pressed for time, though, so I only got to smell a few.

JFK duty-free

- Chanel Pour Monsieur: I have the concentree version, so I was curious how they compare. Some people (including Turin) commented that the two bear little resemblance to each other, but I think there are similarities, though perhaps "concentree" was the wrong adjective to put. To make a musical analogy, if you were to transpose PM from the chypre scale to the oriental scale you would get PMC. Nice, elegant, and the citrus-moss opening is wonderful in particular, but little longevity & sillage. The spices are more pronounced on skin than on paper.

- Dior Homme - definitely one of the better designer offerings in recent years. Creamy lavender and iris, bordering on Le Male territory in sweetness and heaviness but stops short of that stage. It seems to be more of a winter scent so I didn't take a bottle. I may consider it come December, but it will have to compete with Gris Clair (which I have) and Iris Bleu Gris (on my to-buy list) for my rather limited shelf space. Unisex despite the appellation.

- Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Blanc - a pleasant if rather bland sibling of au The Vert.

Tokyo-Narita

- Hermessence Ambre Narguile - I had not expected to find this here, but to my surprise the Hermes boutique at Narita had it. This is what Arabie could have been if it had been tempered. Lots of honey, dried fruit, and spices (among which cinnamon seems to be dominant). Narguile seems a misnomer, as you do have to look for the tobacco to smell it. Crisp amber drydown, which made me keep sniffing my wrist all the way home. If Christmas had a smell, this would be it. I would have jumped for a bottle right there and then, but with the exchange rate the price worked out at $257. The Hermes folks at Narita were really nice, too.

- Chanel No. 19 - green aldehydic. Lovely mixture of powdery florals, greens, woods and musk which shows itself in the drydown. Supposedly for women, but I could easily wear this.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Airport adventures

Quote Originally Posted by heythatslife View Post
    - Hermessence Ambre Narguile...

If Christmas had a smell, this would be it...
    Yes heythatslife, to me Ambre Narguile is the penultimate Christmas fragrance. One of my top 5 Hermes scents. Quite magical when worn to a fancy five star dinner also.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

but with the exchange rate the price worked out at $257.
    That's rather STEEP

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

- Chanel No. 19 - green aldehydic. Lovely mixture of powdery florals, greens, woods and musk which shows itself in the drydown. Supposedly for women, but I could easily wear this.

I'm with you on that brother. I tried this recently and was very surprised how good it smelled on me.

I've just bought and absolutely love Hiris by Hermes. I love the Iris in Dior Homme and absolutely love Infusion D'Iris by Prada. The Hermes version is slightly creamier on the drydown and is much more of a male-wearable scent.

My soon-to-be-ex-second-wife was also very flattering about how good Sur Le Nil smelled on me yesterday so cross over scents are definitely "me" at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    soon-to-be-ex-second-wife
    Quite a flattering title

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Quite a flattering title
    It's better than "infernal-bitch-harpy-with-the-evil-mother"...