Code of Conduct

Default Formal Summer Scent

Dear Basenoters,

I have to attend a formal event in very hot weather. I will be wearing a tux and spending part of the day indoors with cool airconditioning and part of the day outdoors in the humid and hot summer weather.

Could you please recommend a formal summer scent that goes well with a tux.

I was originally going to wear Kiton Black but reconsidered when I realized just how hot it will be--probably 90 degrees F. My wife wont let me wear Kouros Summer.

Do you think Platinum Egoiste would be appropriate? Any suggestions? I need some ideas and am using this event as an excuse to buy a new EDT.

As always, I appreciate your words and noses!

Default Re: Formal Summer Scent

I think Platinum Egoiste would be an excellent choice actually. I wore this as my SOTD recently after not having worn it for a couple of weeks and I had forgotten what an excellent scent it is. It is fresh, gentlemanly and has good longevity too. If I were you I'd buy yourself some little 2.5ml atomisers off ebay, decant some and keep it in your pocket to refresh during the day.

I would also recommend a bunch of Penhaligons, Endymion, Castile or Blenheim Bouquet, which are all light and elegant fragrances.

I would also consider Eau de Cartier too which is fabulously light and elegant too.

I'd avoid anything too heavy - so you could also consider Guerlain Vetiver too.

Any Acqua di Parma Colonnia, Asoluta or Intensa would also be an excellent choice.

Basenotes Institution

Last week I attended a very formal event that was entirely outdoors (in Miami!) and Hinoki by Comme des Garcons/Monocle worked perfectly. Someone walking behind me even mentioned my fragrance, which is always nice.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

I use a light coating of l'Artisan Timbuktu. It is warm and spicy, but light enough to not become overbearing in summer heat.

Teddius

Sur la Plage

All very good recommendations.

I would also suggest:

Boucheron PH EDP
    Nina Ricci Signoricci
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair
    Tiffany for Men
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Last edited by petruccijc; 21st May 2008 at 03:41 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

petruccijc - Gris Clair? Really? I have to admit I've never tried wearing it in heat, but it seems very wintry to me.

Anyway, my suggestion would be Hermes Vetiver Tonka. I chose it as my summer scent to use on special occasions. I find it quite light and fresh, and heat will only bring out its good qualities.

Thumbs up Re: Formal Summer Scent

How about Eau Sauvage by Dior?

Quote Originally Posted by Zerby View Post
    How about Eau Sauvage by Dior?
    I love Savage on others, but on myself it disappears almost instantly. Damn chemistry!

My first GIT sample is in the mail. If I like it perhaps I will wear that. It will be the first Creed I have ever smelled. And I heard of it through Basenotes.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    petruccijc - Gris Clair? Really? I have to admit I've never tried wearing it in heat, but it seems very wintry to me.

Anyway, my suggestion would be Hermes Vetiver Tonka. I chose it as my summer scent to use on special occasions. I find it quite light and fresh, and heat will only bring out its good qualities.
    I personally think it works well in warmer weather, especially if you are looking for a non-citrus based fragrance.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'm not sure how different your choices can be, formal or not, for summer. You have some excellent suggetions already and I'll second Dior Eau Sauvage and especially ES Extreme; as well as Signoricci. I'd be a little concerned about Blenheim Bouquet given the musk and the extreme heat.
    Something aromatic/dry like GIT or Ungaro III would work too.
    Other citrus compositions also, YSL Pour Homme, especially the Haute Concentration or Armani Eau Pour Homme.
    Next, a vetiver with good longevity (e.g., Guerlain not Villoresi).
    And last but not least something a mildly spicy and warm but not too much and IMHO, always right: Shiseido Basala. This one is unique and very satisfying.
    Have a little vial of whatever it is with you if you're concerned about longevity. Also, as an idea, for something like Dior ES, I would start with the original and refresh with the Extreme in the evening. Same with YSL PH.

Thumbs up Re: Formal Summer Scent

Dont think twice and go for EAU D'HADRIEN ABSOLU, by Annick Goutal !

May I recommend YSL Opium De'Orient Summer 2007? I love this stuff and the longevity is tremendous for a "summer" frag.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    I'm not sure how different your choices can be, formal or not, for summer. You have some excellent suggetions already and I'll second Dior Eau Sauvage and especially ES Extreme; as well as Signoricci. I'd be a little concerned about Blenheim Bouquet given the musk and the extreme heat.
    Something aromatic/dry like GIT or Ungaro III would work too.
    Other citrus compositions also, YSL Pour Homme, especially the Haute Concentration or Armani Eau Pour Homme.
    Next, a vetiver with good longevity (e.g., Guerlain not Villoresi).
    Have a little vial of whatever it is with you if you're concerned about longevity. Also, as an idea, for something like Dior ES, I would start with the original and refresh with the Extreme in the evening. Same with YSL PH.
    Ditto, ditto and ditto!

I'd pick Sauvage, YSL PH, Armani Eau PH or GIT
    ADP Colinia or Assoluta are great too if you have them.

ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Thinking about this a little further - you could be a little more daring and go light floral. A great crossover fragrance from Hermes is Hiris, which is a beautiful light and fresh Iris rendering with a woody bottom end to it. It's all the best bits from Dior Homme (the Iris notes) plus the light clean richness of Prada Homme) - it's also a lot like a smoother version of Infusion D'Iris.

Ignore the opening and watch the heart and basenotes. It lasts well and is very light.

In order of preference:

1 Creed MI
    2 Azzaro PH
    3-5 Acqua di Parma Colonia, Assoluta or Intensa
    6 Creed GIT
    7 YSL PH
    8 Carnal Flower (lightly applied)

I have not smelled Platinum Egoiste but let me recommend Cartier Declaration and Terre d'Hermes. Both can be thought of as formal scents and both are great for the summer.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Eau Sauvage is one of my favorites, but have you tried Dior's Eau Fraiche? ... but me thinks these are more casual scents. Live Jazz?

For a tux, I'd go with a bit of spice, but still light .... Poivre Samarcande or Bois d'Encens are lovely in heat!
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

Eau de Cartier is one the best scents out there....very underrated...

I second Petruccijc and Renaissance Man on Nina Ricci Signoricci. That one came to mind almost right away when I saw the thread title, but it came after Aqua di Parma Colonia.

Platinum Egoiste is great, but the citrus/woody of Signoricci and the citrus/floral of AdP Colonia just ramp up the delight of summer for me more than PE would.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Eau de Cartier is one the best scents out there....very underrated...

Totally agree.

I have the Concentree version on my "to buy" list too as I already have a bottle of the normal one.

Quote Originally Posted by MiloTheTerrier View Post
    May I recommend YSL Opium De'Orient Summer 2007? I love this stuff and the longevity is tremendous for a "summer" frag.
    I love Opium. I will give this a try at a store today. I tried it a month ago and thought it might be too strong for summer, but I am excited to revisit it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Xephon23; 23rd May 2008 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bront82 View Post
    Eau Sauvage is one of my favorites, but have you tried Dior's Eau Fraiche? ... but me thinks these are more casual scents. Live Jazz?

For a tux, I'd go with a bit of spice, but still light .... Poivre Samarcande or Bois d'Encens are lovely in heat!
    I have not tried Eau Fraiche. I will try to find a sample today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Live Jazz, I love it. I would wear it but my wife doesnt dig it, and since we will be dancing close I have to pretend I'm chivalrous for just one day

OV or MI .
    Be who you are and say what you feel, cause those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I second Petruccijc and Renaissance Man on Nina Ricci Signoricci. That one came to mind almost right away when I saw the thread title, but it came after Aqua di Parma Colonia.

Platinum Egoiste is great, but the citrus/woody of Signoricci and the citrus/floral of AdP Colonia just ramp up the delight of summer for me more than PE would.
    --Chris
    I third Nina Ricci Signoricci.

AdP Colonia Assoluta
    Cartier Declaration
    Ulrich Lang Anvers

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Last week I attended a very formal event that was entirely outdoors (in Miami!) and Hinoki by Comme des Garcons/Monocle worked perfectly. Someone walking behind me even mentioned my fragrance, which is always nice.
    I would second that!

Also if you don't want Hinoki, CdG 2MAN could work, too!

(Funny, Mike, I think you may be my fragrance twin)
    ===
    [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me nave, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross. ~ David Sedaris

Quote Originally Posted by Xephon23 View Post
    I love Opium. I will give this a try at a store today. I tried it a month ago and thought it might be too strong for summer, but I am excited to revisit it. Thanks.
    You may have a hard time finding the Eau d'Orient / Summer version to try at the stores. I live in St. Louis, and had to buy it blind. Fortunately, it's great. I found it here:

http://www.beautyencounter.com/33654...html?synertech

Quote Originally Posted by MiloTheTerrier View Post
    You may have a hard time finding the Eau d'Orient / Summer version to try at the stores. I live in St. Louis, and had to buy it blind. Fortunately, it's great. I found it here:

http://www.beautyencounter.com/33654...html?synertech
    Thanks for the tip Milo. I was able to find a sample of the Opium Summer edition and quite liked it.

Again, Signoricci. An excellent, rich citrus. Very elegant and long lasting. Another one to try would be Monsieur de Givenchy. Also might recommend R de Capucci.