Code of Conduct

Default what is your favorite non-floral smell in fragrance or your favorite non-floral frag?

So smelling like flowers is getting a bad rap; I think this is the result of Angel. Frankly, I love floral perfumes -they're feminine and traditional and reassuring. I smelled Infini Sunday at mass on an elderly lady - impeccably groomed in a nice floral dress, naturally greying hair in a soft bun, lipstick on an otherwise makeup free face, traditional gold jewelry - totally ladylike and beautiful.

However, there are some gorgeous frags out there that are not floral predominant. I tend to like citrus. I like lavender as well, and vetiver. I guess I'd have to say citrus and vetiver are my favorite non-floral notes in fragrance, although I'm finding that I like licorice notes as well (Aimez Moi, Bvlgari Black). My least favorite might be sandalwood (something like Samsara), but I still have to think about it.

What about you - what are your favorite two or three non-floral smells or non-floral fragrances?

What are your least favorite non-floral smells or non-floral fragrances?

Or....do you simply love florals and that's that?!

Default Re: what is your favorite non-floral smell in fragrance or your favorite non-floral f

I love amber, musks, and leather. My current favorites: Diorella (lemon and leather), Ambre Russe, Love's True Bluish Light. I am drawn to florals, love them and own them (and wear them, especially when it is warm, but amber feels like it emanates from within.

Blog Entries

Default Re: what is your favorite non-floral smell in fragrance or your favorite non-floral f

I'm really not into florals. Yet. A nice rose is an exception.

Like seattlelight, my preferred notes are citrus and vetiver (which actually come together very nicely in Fresca di Vetiver). With a strong third by real marine (salt waterish - not cool waterish).

Patchouli, sandalwood, and orientals are all low on my list. I can tolerate some musk or amber; leather notes can be nice at the right time/place.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I like forals; just not many super sweet, fruity florals.

My favorite non-floral notes are:
    cardamom, sandalwood, labdanum
    I just remembered I want to look up some scents with cardamom notes. It's immediately recognizeable. I love it in anything.

My least favorite non-floral notes are:
    musk, musk, and musk
    And maybe patchouli. I love the smell of patchouli on its own or mixed with sandalwood, but I think it may be a note that enhances musk in fragrances. Or maybe mimics it in combination with something else, amber maybe (?). I'm probably wrong about that. All I know is when I get a whiff of the original Prada, I can't run away fast enough from that musk blast!

Interesting. My first instinct was 'well I love leathers, ambers, vanillas and orientals, so they're all non-floral' but in fact there's a floral element to almost all fragrances, whether you notice it or not. Even my beloved Jicky has lavender in it, balancing out the citrus and civet.
    Or is that a wishy-washy answer? Should I rather say:
    Leather! Amber! Vanilla! Woods, Spices, Incense resins and precious things from faraway...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Oh, lavender does flower - I forgot that! I was thinking of lavender as an herb.

Patchouli / musk are also lower on my list for non-floral notes.

It is nearly impossible to get completely away from floral - Angel was exceptional in that there are presumably no floral notes in it.

Interestingly, when I look at notes of frags I like, coriander comes up a lot. So, I must like that one as well.

The one frag I've worn a lot that seems the least floral of the bunch - I haven't checked the notes - is Timbuktu.

There is something called "Karo Karounde Flower" in the heart notes of Timbuktu, per the BN directory. Otherwise, flowers are underrepresented.
    Last edited by seattlelight; 21st May 2008 at 04:43 PM.

That's a good question for a floral lover like me. I don't think I have many non florals. I like the citrus/cypress combination in Hadrien very much. Someone mentioned Diorella, which I adore, but you know it's very floral too (and fruity). I like galbanum in green fragrances. It's easy to think of lavender as a non-floral because it's so minty/herbal - but it really is a flower, isn't it. I love lavender. I love mint (I have a bottle of spearmint cologne from a Latino bodega near here). I love vetiver. I love Shalimar, does that have any florals in it?

I love leather, amber, sandalwood, vanilla, benzoin, labdanum. cardamom. woods. My favorite non floral fragrance ( which claims to have no floral notes) is Givenchy Organza Indecence.

I like vanilla - musk - amber is in a lot of perfumes I own.

I am not a straight floral fragrance person, with a couple of exceptions, as is always the case (for instance, Sarrasins). I love florals with a twist, where the floral notes are muted and paired to other non-floral notes which dominate in the end - the more unexpected, the better.

What I definitely don't like are full floral bouquets - Beyond Paradise is a nightmare for me, despite Mr. Turin's opinion .

That said, my favourite three non floral notes are: leather, amber, vanilla ( :wave: Wordbird)

My less favourite non floral notes: vetiver is the only one that immediately comes to mind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Seattle, you have a tendency to ask questions that I can't answer on the day I read them, but have to ponder. Cool!

Just lately I've come around to citrus, not so much as a standalone, but in a starring role, to be sure: Mandragore, the citron in Nanadebary Green, the lemony notes in CDG's Lily. Aw, can't wait anymore ... gotta get in the shower and spray on something citrusy.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I love cedar, sandalwood, and black currant.
    Not a fan of civet, amber, or anise.

Definitely: Galbanum. Patchouli. Sandalwood.
    Probably also: Peach or Apricot. Cardamom. Clove. Cinnamon. Opoponax. Labdanum. Vanilla.

Currently (yes a pun!), Arcana Soaps' Murder Ballad Blues in soap and scrub - creamy blackberry! Also Parfumerie Generale's Cuir Venenum - softest, finest kid leather and Eiswein, hmmmmmm...

My tendency is always toward fragrances which are not considered floral, lol. For me, the better question would be, "What is your favorite floral?", because I like almost anything else, especially naturals, ambers, musks and sandalwoods (aka, oriental or sweet chypre). Florals are definitely in the minority in my collection. Thank goodness I have opened my scent horizons--there are so many great 'fumes out there!

Would be easier to list what I don't like (and I adore florals with the minor exception of iris - and Wolfie's intro to 28 La Pausa even took that one out! )

Oh man! I even like that burnt leather and poo (and then there's Odeur 73). Right now I'm into coconut and lime and chocklit (not necessarily together).....um honey (I gotta have that Sweet Oriental Dream)...myrrh and benzoin and copal (thanx PurpleBird!!)

Like I said......
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Blog Entries

Well, ahem, oud. Plus other woods like wenge, cedar, and sandalwood. And incense! I'm not much into creamy scents like vanilla and amber unless they're spiced up with incense and/or woods. For something fresh, I like bergamot and neroli but not so much lemon or orange. For example, I tried Elixir des Merveilles and initially loved all the woodsy incense I was getting. It wasn't until about 20 minutes in that I began to notice the orange. It seemed to come out of nowhere and it came on strong, like a big dollop of Cointreau somebody added to my after dinner coffee when I wasn't looking. I'm not too keen on gourmands, and I just wasn't lovin' it. I think also I like fragrances to be a little abstract. I don't want to catch a whiff of something and think, "I smell like rootbeer (Lolita Lempicka)." I just want to think, "I smell good!"
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Cedar (see Feminite du Bois), tame patchouli (Coromandel), light vanilla and vetiver.

Wow, after some serious thought, I'd have to say:

Vanilla
    Spices
    Woods
    Amber
    Patchouli

Probably in that exact order! Musk is one that I can't call a favorite, but have enjoyed on occassion.

I Love:

vanilla
    sandalwood
    bergamot
    cherry
    blackberry
    peach
    basil
    pink pepper
    musk

Sounds like I would love overwhelming sweet scents, but it isnt so..

I still couldnt live without my loved Magnolia, rose and Jasmine

I love love love patchouli. I also love sweet stuff and spicy stuff. Most of my frags have patchouli, sandalwood, amber, vanilla, and other sweet/spicy stuff. I'm not really a fan of florals, but they are starting to grow on me. I do enjoy rose perfumes though.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I love citrus notes (especially mandarin.)
    I also like vanilla, cedar and blackcurrant leaves, plus
    a few spicy notes (ginger, pink pepper.)
    My favourite non-florals are Feminite du Bois and
    Sienne l'Hiver.
    As for florals, I don't like full on, heavy white florals
    like Jardins de Bagatelle, but prefer soliflores
    or iris, mimosa, heliotrope notes (powdery flowers
    in other words.)
    Favourite florals : Lullaby and Casaque (both Irma Shorell)

It's so much easier to list my non-floral dislikes than likes; the list would be much shorter!

I adore citrus, especially bitter bigarrade, Sicilian orange and bergamot. Crown Imperial and Creed Citrus Bigarrade are favorites in this category. Sometimes I layer them with the Creed sprayed over the Crown Imperial. Citrus is quite nice with vetiver in several lovely creations.

Almond is high on my list but it can be confused with heliotrope. Serge Lutens Rahat Loukhoum in an example. I'm on an almond-trying kick. There are so many tasty creations.

Powder! There's something about powder that compliments my skin. Of course, all powder scents are comprised of many other notes, some of them floral. Right now I'm enjoying Talco Delicato.

Herbs and booze are fresh and delightful, especially as the weather warms. Warm days have brought out the Eau de Quinine from Crown Perfumery. Made for the men, I find it's a terrific scent for us ladies as well.

1. Vanilla is number one with me. I am one of the plebeian hoards who loves it!

But I also like

2. Bitter almond (or sometimes, as Merbert mentioned above, heliotrope which *is* a flower)
    3. Nutmeg
    4. Cardamom
    5. Licorice or anise or fennel seed
    6. Cinnamon (which I often get confused with carnation, another flower)
    7. Celery seed
    8. Dill (which I may be confusing with cedar)
    9. Cumin (I thought I didn't like cumin in fragrances, but Rose 31 made me eat my words.)
    10. Amber (all the kinds people make)
    11. Sandalwood

I used to think I didn't like florals, but after reading a bit about what is in the floral fragrances I dislike, it seems that scents with tuberose, lily of the valley (muguet), and hyacinth are really what I dislike. However, I love scents with jasmine.

Admittedly, I'm more fond of fragrances with spices. Maybe I don't like perfume at all. I just like to eat.
    Last edited by Aiona; 6th July 2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: True plebs spell plebeian plebian.

I adore florals and I spray on my perfume in the morning according to mood. If I'm not feeling floral, my next stop would probably be a patchouli-heavy frag. So then I have to break it down and decide between Coco Mademoiselle or Aromatics Elixir. And if I'm not feeling the patchouli I might go with the leather, in which case it's Tabac Blond all the way. And if I don't want any of those and I'm still not feeling floral, Ambre Sultan gets a very rare airing. Mostly though, I love my florals, so I go with gardenia, roses, iris, and the glorious and ultimate favourite, jasmine. I'm just happy smelling fab. Flowers have the edge 90% of the time.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 6th July 2008 at 10:11 AM.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I love florals but also love these:

Sandalwood
    Amber
    Vanilla
    Citrus (orange, lemon and grapefruit - love them all)
    Vetiver.

I'm just now beginning to get an appreciation for leather.

So far the winner is by far grapefruit, but I really love my sample of Serge Lutens Five o'clock au Gingembre. Oh, and anything cedar.

Leather, leather and more leather.
    Although, I do like my floral leathers!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I like Diptyque Tam Dao and Eau Lente, and Ava Luxe Love's True Bluish Light and Ambra Tibet for non florals.

Non-florals notes I don't like include vetiver and oakmoss.

I dont like florals at all, but Fracas and Creed Tubereuse Indiana are great. Mango flower ,lilly, violets and some orchids are nice, fresia, magnolia and night queen are ok. Dont like citrus at all, metal and most of the fresh notes.
    Non florals notes I like are deep, dark, heavy oriental, at the first place all incenses&frankincenses- I am mad about it, all other balsams, all woods, oak, and some spices-cardamome, all kind of peppers, ginger, chilly, basil, oregano, anise, bay, lavender, other sharp green herbal notes (combinated with woods).

I like spicy, sweet, fruity and endolic florals, especially carnation, heliotrope, violets, magnolia, mimosa, and tuberose. I will add honey here as well, because it is made from flowers!

Favorite non florals: amber, peach, musk, creamy woods.

Don't like: bergamot, herbals, citrus.
    Last edited by lookingglass; 21st July 2008 at 02:08 AM.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer