Code of Conduct

Default Need help choosing a youthful summer scent!

I have almost finished every cologne I own, and I think it's time for me to get a new frag wardrobe.

I'm 19 years old, and I can't really afford buying 3 or more niche scents, so please, no niche for me.

My wardrobe is:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Givenchy Blue Label
    Lacoste Red
    Emporio Armani White
    Gucci Envy
    Halston Unbound
    Benetton Inferno Paradiso Blue
    Dior Fahrenheit
    Guess PH
    Musc ravageur
    Angéliques le souis la pluie.

Of which Lacoste, Guess, Blue Label and Fahrenheit are almost empty, and every other frag except unbound and IPB are not really for summer. I don't think I can pull off the Vetiver yet =/

I was thinking Boss XY but I have not sampled it yet, any thoughts on that? I'm buying Blue Label again for sure, and maybethe Lacoste frag, but I'm not really sure, I want to mix it up a notch.

Also, the weather here in Mexico in summer is kind of odd, it starts off really hot and the gets really rainy

So, I'd really appreciate any recommendation, thanks!
    Chipmunks love to eat nuts. Don't go to the woods without pants. (°<

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Need help choosing a youthful summer scent!

I would suggest trying:

L'Eau Par Kenzo pour Homme
    Bulgari Aqua
    Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue (women's version)
    Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert
    Masaki Matsushima M;Men
    Sean John Unforgivable
    Mugler Cologne
    YSL M7 Fresh
    Adolfo Dominguez Agua Fresca
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta or Intensa
    Comme des Garcons Vettiveru
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I would highly recommend you trying Paco Rabanne Black XS (strawberryesque with patchouli) and if you can find it, Aramis Bermuda Tonic (Tropical summer drink). Looking at your wardrobe, I believe you will like these quite a bit.
    Last edited by snakesandladders; 21st May 2008 at 04:08 PM.

Changed my mind. Others can help you better than me on this one.
    Last edited by thebeck; 21st May 2008 at 04:44 PM. Reason: change verbage

I second these:

Bvlgari Aqua
    Mugler Cologne
    Sean John Unforgivable [Smells like a synthetic version of Creed's Mill&#233;sime Imperial]

Of the three, I would probably choose Mugler Cologne, but test them out on yourself.

EDIT: I was just in Mexico, and the Mugler Cologne performed really well with the humidity.
    Last edited by baudilus; 21st May 2008 at 04:16 PM.

Strawberry-esque seems really perfect =)

I've been meaning to try Bvlgari Aqva and M7 fresh.

Is D&G Light Blue good? I mean, it's a girl's perfume, so I'm not sure about that.

I was also thinking D&G PH although I don't really think it's very summery.

Also, I don't really smell a connection between cool water and XY, but that may be because of my underdeveloped nose =P

Definitely will try Mugler cologne, but isn't it too mature-ish for a 19 year old?

Also, I'd really love it if you could give me your opinion on YSL's Live Jazz, seems like a neat scent for rainy days.

Thanks a lot guys!!!
    Chipmunks love to eat nuts. Don't go to the woods without pants. (°<

Tommy Bahama Set Sail St. Barts.... smells like a mojito, but even better! And it can also be found for super cheap if you do a little searching.

Also check out Cool Water Deep, possibly my favorite from the long list of Cool Water offspring. It smells fantastic. Safe and inoffensive, but still fantastic. It can be found for super cheap as well. It doesn't strike too many similarities to the original Cool Water so you could buy both if you wanted!

I really like Style in Play (Lacoste Red), but it really, really loses its steam in the drydown. It is immensely frustrating because the first half of it is so nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Juanamichi View Post
    Is D&G Light Blue good? I mean, it's a girl's perfume, so I'm not sure about that.
    I've never smelled it before (might smell it today) but it really shouldn't matter if it's "made" for a woman or a man. Try it - if you think it smells too feminine for your then you don't have to buy it. If you like it, who cares if it said homme or femme on the bottle? It's what's inside that counts.

Definitely will try Mugler cologne, but isn't it too mature-ish for a 19 year old?
    I think Mugler Cologne is great for a 19-year-old (FYI - I'm 29). It smells a tiny bit like soap, but when it starts to dry down it smells very fresh and clean, but not like many other fragrances out there. This one is on my top shelf because it smells great, has good sillage, and lasts forever, even after swimming.

Also, I'd really love it if you could give me your opinion on YSL's Live Jazz, seems like a neat scent for rainy days.

Thanks a lot guys!!!
    Light Blue is stellar. It is very popular however, and if you don't mind a heightened possibility of being in a room with a female wearing the same fragrance, then check it out for sure. By the way, don't let the tag of "female fragrance" scare you away from the other half of the perfumery world. There are many, many of them that are easily wearable by men, and some that are actually nicer on a man! Most of the other Basenoters would agree with me here. That being said, I used to steal spritzes of my sister's bottle of Light Blue back in the day, even before I found Basenotes. Nice, comforting, and lasts a long time.

Mugler Cologne too mature for a 19 year old? No way.

Live Jazz is alright, but there is a strong cilantro-like note that attacks me from the beginning and does not yield for a while. Many other people seem to not have that problem, so it is probably just my skin, combined with the fact that I can't stand the smell of cilantro. The drydown is nice though. I think that Iceberg Twice is a far better take on mint, and I should have mentioned it in my previous post! You absolutely must try it, it lasts forever and a day and is famous for being ridiculously inexpensive! It is one of the best fragrances for the money. I can't believe if forgot about it in my last post.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by whosyourcaddy05 View Post
    Light Blue is stellar. It is very popular however, and if you don't mind a heightened possibility of being in a room with a female wearing the same fragrance, then check it out for sure. By the way, don't let the tag of "female fragrance" scare you away from the other half of the perfumery world. There are many, many of them that are easily wearable by men, and some that are actually nicer on a man! Most of the other Basenoters would agree with me here. That being said, I used to steal spritzes of my sister's bottle of Light Blue back in the day, even before I found Basenotes. Nice, comforting, and lasts a long time.

Mugler Cologne too mature for a 19 year old? No way.

Live Jazz is alright, but there is a strong cilantro-like note that attacks me from the beginning and does not yield for a while. Many other people seem to not have that problem, so it is probably just my skin, combined with the fact that I can't stand the smell of cilantro. The drydown is nice though. I think that Iceberg Twice is a far better take on mint, and I should have mentioned it in my previous post! You absolutely must try it, it lasts forever and a day and is famous for being ridiculously inexpensive! It is one of the best fragrances for the money. I can't believe if forgot about it in my last post.
    Definitely try Iceberg Twice pour Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I do not think M7 fresh is for summer. True, the top notes are very fruity and light, but the drydown is not much fresher than the original M7. I have tried to wear it in Mexico during "winter" time (if it is above 18 C it is not a real winter) and although nice, it can turn to be a little bit oppressive. Still, you should sample it if you can as it is a very nice fragrance.
    IMO, the best Lacoste EDT is Essential (but it is also boringly linear).
    Bvlgari Aqua is very similar to blue label but a bit less similar to Aqua di Gio and more like a swamp. I think you'll like it. Mugler Cologne is not much more “mature” than Guerlain Vetiver. For something a bit less sharp you can try D&G Light Blue for women, which is already in your list. Proof that it can be worn by men? It smells a lot like Chanel Allure Sport cologne, but perhaps a bit sweeter.
    I also recommend Rive Gauche and instead of YSL's Live Jazz (which IMO is too generic) I recommend YSL L'Homme (also a bit generic but better).
    Sample any of the Tommy Bahamas, Marc Jacobs for fig and coconut and Mambo for nice cheap fragrance.