Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Unhappy HELP please, Creed GIT difference in smell

Hi everybody. I have just become a member of Basenotes after reading many informative and well-written posts by members. I have a problem and ask if members can kindly offer their advice and experience. I tried some samples of GIT and immediately fell in love with the fragrance. After doing some research on the internet I decided I would go the whole hog and buy a 8.4 Fl oz flacon of the potion as it made better financial sense. The cheapest reputable seller I could find is in the USA but, as they were cheaper and offer a no quibble 30 day money back guarantee, I placed the order. When the flacon arrived, I opened it up and put some on. But horror - to my mind it smells more sickly than the juice contained in the sample vials and, EVEN WORSE, after a couple of hours the smell seems to die away, whereas the contents of the vials went on emanating their sweet fragrance for hours and hours. Is it common for sample vials to be of greater concentration? Or is it that the flacon is not Millesime (the most likely cause, I think) whereas the samples were? Or perhaps the flacon I bought is counterfeit? I doubt this last possibilty as the company is well-known (in fact it is a sponsor of this site) and what would they have to gain by offering a money-back guarantee if they sold fakes? It could be that the the cologne had reached such mythical qualities in my memory that when the bottle came, its contents inevitably did not make the mark. As an aside, I have read a couple of postings where batch number has been mentioned. I have been unable to locate a batch number on the underside of my flacon (it just says GREEN IRISH TWEED on a transparent plastic sticker and V8 MADE IN FRANCE embossed on the glass), but there is a bar code on a sticker on the box with the number 1406779999. Can I tell the date this batch was manufactured from this number? Could it be an old batch and the difference in smell be due to that? Or am I, as I suspect, suffering from a neurosis similar to buyer remorse??? I would appreciate members comments and advice asap as I have been issued a return number by the seller and don´t want to waste time if I should be returning the item. I thank you in advance for your consideration in replying and send a warm embrace to all members around the world, from sunny Spain.

Default Re: HELP please, Creed GIT difference in smell

Can you post a picture of the flacon?

I have a picture of my flask and nozzle in the Sales area. I have read where someone has bought legit Creed from a store and it was not as strong one time as he remembered. However, and this is just me, since they are said to have higher essential oil content, whether it is close to the skin or projects more, it should still be detectable over more than 4 hours. I have had Creeds that run the gamut from very loud and longlasting to close to the skin and medium lasting, but never short lived.

I know a lot of cologne sits in warehouses, and a lot of Creeds being bought cheaper are like that.

Welcome to Basenotes!

There are numerous threads on how to spot genuine and fake Creeds. They mostly deal with bottles not flacons.

When I get home, I will update this with the location of any identifying marks on the flacon and the box.

I also had a problem with a Creed flacon purchased from a reputable online dealer. The fragrance had turned. They replaced it without any complaint. They even included a note that they had sent the replacement bottle through their inspection department to make sure the juice was fresh.

If you are not happy, send it back for replacement.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

F: Sorry, you did mention flacon. I was talking about a bottle. I will say that I also had an issue with a cologne that was a decant of what was in a larger bottle, rather than self-contained. It smelled more like alcohol coming out of the decant, but then it settled down after about a half hour. Disconcerting to say the least. If you have a chance to send it back, I would do it.

I don't buy less than full bottles from anywhere other than Basenotes. Decants, basenoters only. Partial bottle, basenoters only. I just feel we are too into the colognes to try to mess each other around, and just want to recoup most of what we spent so we can feed our habit. Now a full bottle, I might go to a website to get a good deal.

GIT sometimes is remarkably different from bottle to bottle. You might have an older bottle - I have a sample that smells kind of like you describe vs my bottle which is total heaven.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    GIT sometimes is remarkably different from bottle to bottle. You might have an older bottle - I have a sample that smells kind of like you describe vs my bottle which is total heaven.
    Welcome to Basenotes!
    GAIVS is probably right. Creeds do vary from bottle to bottle/batch to batch. All GIT is "Millesime", there is no other variant.
    It is certainly possible you like the batch or "millesime" from the sample better than your flacon and/or that the juice in the flacon has went off.
    I would let the seller know and ask for an exchange. If they are reputable, they will do so without any further question. A whole flacon of GIT is a big investment and will be worn for a very long time. You deserve to be 100% happy with it.
    I have never seen a fake Creed flacon. Anything is possible but I don't think it's likely.
    Lastly, if you want to post a photo, www.photobucket.com is easy to use and you can just include a link for us to view it here. :-)

Eric

well...one option is to send a small sample to our fellow basenoters in canada/USA...i think nearfantastica, myaccolades are based in canada....they could re-affirm it for you....just my two cents...

Hi again folks, I´ve just opened an account at photobucket.com and uploaded the photos I took earlier. Your opinion as to the authenticity of the GIT is welcome. A big thanks for all your help. The URL, if I don´t manage to upload the link correctly, is:
    http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll18/fajir29/

I havve just taken some photos, but stupidly can´t work out how to upload them. I click on the icon and it tells me to enter the URL of the image I want to upload (?!?!?!?!?). Please help. Many thanks, by the way, to all your comments. I am staying up extra late here in Granada, to read your comments. Kind regards
    John

The bottom of my flacon of Bois du Portugal is imprinted with: LOT C303A08.

The same lot number appears on the bottom of the box.

My understanding is that the last two digits signify the year of production - in this case 2008.

I bought a partially used unboxed flacon of 'Vintage' Tabarome from a fellow Basenoter. I cannot find a lot number anywhere on the bottle. I have no question about its authenticity as I had a sample to compare it against. As evogel said, I have never seen a fake flacon of Creed.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Please post a picture of the bottom of the box, a complete picture of the bottom of the bottle and the lower portion of the back of the bottle. We are looking for the Lot number.

Yeah, I don't think it's fake... just might be really old.