Code of Conduct

Smile My first thread-Hugh Parsons

I've been observing for awhile and add my two cents when I feel qualified. Let me say you guys really know your stuff and have been an endless source of information as well as humor. Also I apologize if I started this thread needlessly.
    I recently became interested in the Hugh Parsons line of cologne. I bought the original in the blue bottle and really liked it. At first application it reminded me of A&F Fierce and I thought what the heck(I previously owned Fierce and gave it to my friend's son). But then after the drydown it of course changed and I like it when I want to smell clean and not going for the Gendarme.
    Then I bought the Hugh Parsons Yellow because it had citrus in it which I like. But this I did not like. I don't exactly hate it but don't really see myself wearing it when I own other stuff that is way better. These were both blind buys on Ebay. One panned out, the other not so much.
    Lastly there is Hugh Parson 99 Regent St. which I can't find out much about at all. This would be a more expensive blind buy since I can't find it on Ebay at the moment. So has anybody tried 99 Regent St. or know anything about it? Is it similar to another more common scent? Any info you may have would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: My first thread-Hugh Parsons

I remember smelling 99 Regent Street at Nordstroms probably a year ago - honestly, I can't remember the details of it, but I liked it. A lot. It got my attention, that's for sure, which is a stretch at a department store these days.

I remember it being really fresh (I know that is such a general term...sorry), crisp and it seemed very gentlemanly. I sniffed my hand all afternoon when I walked around the store. I had pretty much forgotten about it, until you mentioned it. I might have to re-sample this again soon.

Congrats on the thread fragfan - here's to many more.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

A quesiton for mikeperez23, Did you like the yellow (99 reagent st.) better than the blue? I have a sample of the origninal blue which it pretty good and wondered if there was something more to the yellow.

Fragfan, good job on the post! The only way to do it is dive right in!

Thumbs up Re: My first thread-Hugh Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Thanks for the pennies. I must have missed that thread. Still this one seems to be under the radar for the most part. I think I'm gonna take a chance on 99 Regent St and do a blind buy. I'm really liking Traditional(Blue bottle) thus far. When I get Regent I'll let you know as best I can what it is like and if I like it or not. Again, thanks for doing the leg work for me.

Talking Re: My first thread-Hugh Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    A quesiton for mikeperez23, Did you like the yellow (99 reagent st.) better than the blue? I have a sample of the origninal blue which it pretty good and wondered if there was something more to the yellow.

Thanks for the kind words.
    As far as your question regarding the "Yellow" version. The one they commonly refer to as the Yellow Edition is the one that some feel is similar to Acqua Di Parma. I didn't get enough of that to agree whole heartedly. It's just okay for me and I'm a citrus freak. Now 99 Regent St may also be yellow but is not referred to as the Yellow Edition. There's Traditional(blue bottle), Yellow Edition(yellow bottle) and 99 Regent St. which is kind of yellow.
    Just wanted to be sure you got the right input for the right juice. And I agree about the blue. I'm liking it the more I wear it.
    Glad I took the dive in. The water's fine. And no shrinkage(ala George Costanza)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post

Sorry Scentologist - I only smelled 99 Regent St..
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The Blue is cool. It always reminds me of two things: gin and tonic, because of the juniper and citrus notes; and Hawaii, because I wore it a lot on my first trip there. I have 99 Regent Street and don't wear it much; there's something "fizzy" in there that I don't like much. The Yellow was one I never bought.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 22nd May 2008 at 02:56 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I love the Blue, at first I didn't but now I do. Thank goodness I can get it at Nordstroms.

Barneys NY used to carry 99 Regent St., but when I went back to get it - - poof! It was gone and forgotten. Really ticked me off.

All Hugh Parsons fragrances are excellent, very sophisticated, possessed of a wonderfully evolving dry down that is worth the price of admission. Nothing flashy, nothing too hip or trendy, fairly traditional, but not stuffy or old, but with no guava artichoke notes.

Quote Originally Posted by FRAGFAN View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.
    As far as your question regarding the "Yellow" version. The one they commonly refer to as the Yellow Edition is the one that some feel is similar to Acqua Di Parma. I didn't get enough of that to agree whole heartedly. It's just okay for me and I'm a citrus freak. Now 99 Regent St may also be yellow but is not referred to as the Yellow Edition. There's Traditional(blue bottle), Yellow Edition(yellow bottle) and 99 Regent St. which is kind of yellow.
    Just wanted to be sure you got the right input for the right juice. And I agree about the blue. I'm liking it the more I wear it.
    Glad I took the dive in. The water's fine. And no shrinkage(ala George Costanza)
    Sorry FragFan, You are correct sir. I got the yellow and 99 reagent street mixed up and thought they were the same. Thanks for reliving an excellent Seinfeld episode - - how I miss that show!

99 regent Street is a real winner!

It is the best of the Hugh Parsons line. The Blue is almost as good, the Yellow is disappointing, but Regent Street is the real star!

It has some notes in common with "the Creed house note" so it is fleetingly Creed like. It's classy without being stuffy. Long lasting with good sillage. I feel it lends itself more to warm weather, but is somewhat versatile.

All in all, I wouldn't think twice about ordering blind.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye