Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for an understated, exquisite and unique scent.

I am 42 years old male, looking younger, a bit introverted and intellectual but very active, sharing, cynical and almost always controversial in interests and sometimes in tastes.

I tried and liked Terre d'Hermes a lot and I am going to buy one. I also would like to buy a couple more scents. I did enjoy Antaeus but it's a classic. I am looking for something not mainstream, something different. It seems that I enjoy either orientals, sometimes spicy and/or aromatic or uplifting scents without being very ozonic, aquatic or fresh and definitely not limey/lemony/grapefruity. Orange or orange blossom are welcome. I like the presence of ambery scents but it should not be too sweet. And I like earthy and mossy too.

I would like to wear a complex but somewhat understated, mystical, not very manly but definitely not feminine or unisex, classy but too much tabac is unwelcome, between neutral and warm in tone. It should stand out, not by the range of effect or pungency but by its distinctive and elegant, exquisite uniqueness (somewhat).

Seems difficuly huh? Do not worry, all above is just to give a sense of what I feel. Not all of above are to be respected strictly. Feel free to suggest more than one. I need your suggestions to be able to limit my sampling at the store. After 5 or 6 sniffs my nose is gone for sure so I wnat to visit the store being educated here.

By the way I am not into parfum world and previously used Xeryus which was OK but not special, Drakkar Noir which I forget but feel the same way as Xeryus, Burberry Week End which I could use a couple of times before I gave it away (too sweet and sour and colognelike)

Thank you for taking the time to read and recommend.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Suggestions for an understated, exquisite and unique scent.

You may want to order some samples from The Perfumed Court (www.theperfumedcourt.com) - especially if you looking for fragrances that are not mainstream. They have different sampler packs based on experience level, different notes, etc. It's a good way to experience a wide variety of different/unique fragrances.

Although it sounds like you may like something from Serge Lutens.

Good luck with your search!

Joe
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th May 2008 at 03:51 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Welcome to Basenotes.

Frederic Malle ~ Vetiver Extraordinaire (green, mossy)
    Divine ~ L'Homme Sage (spicy, ambery, oriental)

I think you might like these.
    I would get samples (because they are not cheap) of these two an see what you think.

My own experience is limited, but I think I think Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain might fit the bill. It's definitely unique, and while perhaps neither as dry nor understated as perhaps you're looking for, I think it definitely fits your other criteria: mystical, spicy, uplifting. It's very amber-y but I find other notes that keep it from being syrupy.

I'm almost finished with my sample from the Perfumed Court and have already requested it as a birthday gift from The Husband (if I can manage to wait until July).

Blog Entries

Welcome to Basenotes. I second the recommendation of samples from The Perfumed Court. They have an entire section of men's sample sets, grouped in some very nice ways:

http://theperfumedcourt.com/Categori...mple-Sets.aspx
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Welcome to Basenotes.

Frederic Malle ~ Vetiver Extraordinaire (green, mossy)
    Divine ~ L'Homme Sage (spicy, ambery, oriental)

I think you might like these.
    I would get samples (because they are not cheap) of these two an see what you think.
    I second These.
    I also recommend something from YSL: Rive Gauche, m7 or Kouros.
    Also try Guerlain or one of the montale Aouds.
    Pergaps you may like something from the insense series of Commes des Garcons.

Welcome to the fabulous Basenotes! There are some great recommendations so far. Do you know what kind of notes, e.g., amber, vetiver, etc, that you like? The helpful souls here are full of good recommends but it would help to know what type you like so we could hone in more closely as to what might work for you.

Idole de Lubin - samples at Luckyscent.com

Mossy, green, slightly fresh but not at all acquatic - elegant, classy and classic, and rarely worn by anyone these days (oh, and it can be found for super cheap, which is a plus):

Grey Flannel - Geoffrey Beene

IMO, this is a masterpiece and doesn't get nearly enough love around these parts (or if not enough love, then enough mention, at least.)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Smile Re: Suggestions for an understated, exquisite and unique scent.

I should sink your teeth into these..

Caron 3rd man
    Aramis 900
    Van Cleef & Arpels
    Aqua Di Parma
    Alfred Sung Homme
    Guerlain L'instant OR Heritage

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta seems to fit your description very well. Worth it a try!

Witness by Bogart seems to fit the bill here, and it's going for nearly pennies now !

You might be interested in Bvlgari pour homme- a very unique and understated tea and musk fragrance.

Oh! When I saw your subject line I was going to suggest Terre d'Hermes! Perhaps you'll like Dior Homme and Serge Lutens' Gris Clair. They are slightly floral, perhaps woody, with something strange, but interesting..

Thank you everybody who replied till now. I appreciate basenotes since a couple of weeks ago and glad to be here.

I had also found out about theperfumedcourt, however they do not ship to a handful of countries, Turkey being among them. Istanbul is where I am and no samples are available here. I need to go to a shop to test fragrances and I can test 3-4 on test tissues and decide to test one on me to fully try out during the day to see how it evolvs. Therefore it's a painful process here requiring too much time. Or I could make my selection based on the top notes and reviews here. That is my plan and your guidance will prepare me a runner-up list. Most perfumes, even the niche ones are available in Istanbul.

Scentologist, I am really new to perfume world so I do not know what I would love much. Mossy maybe. I can say that I do not like candied and sharp fragrances for sure. As nikou noted a feeling of ["something strange, but interesting" (and definitely beautiful) ] should be there.

I just tried Prada for men and that seems to be worthy of consideration, though to be honest I think it's too expensive for what it is. If money's no problem though, you should be able to sample it at a local department store or specialty perfume shop (which is not the case for Witness).

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta seems to fit your description very well. Worth it a try!
    My current summer favorite. I agree, this is a nice fit.

Herrera for men is another unique fragrance that might pique your interest.

M7 by YSL is very unique among mainstream frags and IMO is not to strong or overly masculine if you use it correctly.
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

I'll second nikkou's suggestion, Dior Homme, and danho's M7.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Many good suggestions, to which I'd add masculine rose fragrances like Domenico Caraceni and Czech and Speake No.88. But the real solution, since you seem to share our madness, is a road trip, my friend. Head to the land of samples!

Strollyourlobster, thanks for recommendations, I was wondering about No. 88 which seems to be one of the top choices of many people. By the way, in my wildest childhood memory of a dream I was strolling my lobster , leash in hand, inside an underwater ruin of a middle-age castle. Weird to see someone opted for such a name

MadScientist, thank you; I have e-mailed luckyscents and they promptly replied to confirm that they ship to Turkey. I will at least be able to sample some niche scents. So far the list you recommended

Frederic Malle ~ Vetiver Extraordinaire (I have heard a lot of praises for it)
    Divine ~ L'Homme Sage (Same here)
    Tauer ~ L'Air du Desert Marocain (I hope this is not too similar to Terre d'Hermes)
    YSL ~ Rive Gauche (Old but a good scent I think)
    YSL ~ M7 (So many people recommending it I have to try)
    Montale ~ Black Aoud (Sounds intriguing)
    Lubin ~ Idole (I liked it without testing !)
    Geoffrey Beene ~ Grey Flannel (I know this one)
    Caron ~ 3rd man (I need to test this one also)
    Aramis ~ 900
    Alfred Sung ~ Homme
    Guerlain ~ L'instant
    Guerlain ~ Heritage
    Acqua di Parma ~ Colonia Assoluta (sounds really different)
    Bogart ~ Witness
    Bulgari ~ pour homme
    Prada ~ for men
    Herrera ~ for men
    Dior ~ Homme
    Serge Lutens ~ Gris Clair
    Domenico Caraceni
    Czech and Speake No.88 (I need to check why so many loved this one)

I will read about those a bit more and then narrow down a bit and go ahead. By the way what about Creed Acier Aluminium, Different Company Un Parfum d'Ailleurs et Feuilles, Serge Lutens Un Lys and L'Artisans (comme Bois d'Ombrie, Sienne l'Hiver and Dzongkha) ? Any experience?

Basenotes Institution

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Does LuckyScent ship to you? I have ordered samples from them, they seem fine. I know the people who run The Perfumed Court, so I like ordering from them, but LuckyScent is good, too, if much bigger and more commercial.
    I want many more men to wear Gris Clair so I suggest that.
    Come play with us (click on the Basenotes link) http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=195893

Quote Originally Posted by Gondwana View Post
    By the way what about Creed Acier Aluminium, Different Company Un Parfum d'Ailleurs et Feuilles, Serge Lutens Un Lys and L'Artisans (comme Bois d'Ombrie, Sienne l'Hiver and Dzongkha) ? Any experience?
    The Different Company has a sample programme, will ship to Turkey. Very cute 2ml bottles.

I like Acier Aluminium, strong metallic note, but couldn't see myself using it often enough to buy. Besides, most Creed and L'Artisans have little staying power on me - 20mins, 1 hr tops. You should definitely try them if you can for free in the stores.

Un Lys is LILYLILYLILY, vanilla, musk. I love it, I have a bottle, BUT... it is very strong LILY.

Orange, amber, earthy, mossy = Giorgio Beverly Hills for men. It's BACK! All hail the King, baby!
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120689.html

http://www.beautyencounter.com/71934...html?synertech

Somewhat Similar = Noir Epices Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121823.html
    Last edited by weylin; 25th May 2008 at 06:06 AM.

I am going to buck the trend and NOT recommend M7 here. I am fed up with that bloody fragrance and am selling mine, whichever way I wear it it's obnoxious and in your face.

If you want to go understated and classy try Richard James, either the original "Saville Row" fragrance which oozes class or Richard James Cologne which is also manly, complex and subtly elegant.

If you really want something delicious that stays close to the skin but is complex too, try Edition Imperiale by Courvoisier. It's a rich, dark scent with little sillage but is wonderful close up - it's expensive though. It's in the same ballpark as Varvatos (which you also might enjoy).

The Acqua di Parmas are all worth trying - I have Intensa which is fantastic, but the Colonnia or Asoluta are also fantastic.

Have you tried Penhaligon's yet? I have Castile, Endymion and Blenheim Bouquet, all of which smell complex and wonderful. Out of these my favourite is Castile which is just beautiful from the topnotes down to an exquisite drydown - it really is stunning.

My final recommendation for something classy, elegant and unusual would be Guerlain's Coriolan which is a light scent, easy on the nose but so distinctive in a good way. It's one of my all time favourites. (If you can get one of the ones which are left out there, you can also get it in one of the best designed bottles of all time.)

Or you could go very oldschool, shun the expensive juices and go for a real retro rediscovery of mine, Pierre Cardin pour homme, which has such a fantastic drydown, for the little money you can get it for, is worth a punt!

Thank you all for your suggestions.

@lannanside, yes luckyscents ship o Turkey and I have ordered many samples yesterday, now I hope they get to me fast.

@nikkou, thanks for pointing out The Different Companies sample programme, next I may try it.

@weylin, noir epices intrigued me, I will check it out.

and finally, @HDS1963, thank you for the details descriptions and suggestions

I wished LuckyScents could also offer samples for Serge Lutens which I believe very good (L'Artisan Parmufeur is also praised but almost always claimed to be of extremely short longevity so I am a bit distant to it now).

Now I will wait for the niche samples arrive and start sampling. By the way I am testing 3-4 perfumes whenever I go to a store to be able to see what I will like as non-niche. Yesterday I tested Terre d'Hermes again, this time I found it to be quite sweet and somewhat gasoline-like, especialy the first 15 minutes. You know my nose is uneducated and undiscerning yet, and so is my olfactory vocabulary, so bear with me. I tried M7 and it was so heavy that I can wear it only after October. It was rich but I did not "ponder" on it saving that for winter. The seller suggested Vera Wang for Men which I happened to be pleased with. It's sandalwood and leather but I like it mostly due to green mandarin leaf. I do not know if this is a good brand.

From your self-description, I can earnestly second the suggestion of Idole by Lubin. I wear it and love it. It is thoughtful, warm, and daring. Good luck. Welcome to the great perfume adventure that is Basenotes!

Therese, I already did order a sample of Idole, it sounds very promising even though some folks found it to be smelling like an "old man". Well, I am getting older so I might need to know how it smells like to be one. Joke aside, I think it is a dark and ambient and warm without being sweet.Just a guess.

In fact I have ordered following samples from Luckyscents, Thank you all who recommended fragrances, I will try them all whenever I have the opportunity. Below one may have some scents contradictory to my descriptions but anyway I am intrigued by the reviews and ingredients. I hope to receive it in 7-10 days.

Bruno Acampora..........Jasmin (pure oil for my wife to sample)
    Nasomatto..................Duro
    Amouage....................Jubilation XXV
    Olivier Durbano............Black Tourmaline
    La Base......................For Him
    Profumum...................Victrix
    Montale......................Black Aoud
    Parfum d'Empire..........Equistrius
    Parfum d'Empire..........Fougere Bengale
    The Different Company.Un Parfum de Charmes et Feuilles
    Divine.........................L'homme sage
    Lubin..........................Idole
    Tauer Perfumes...........L'Air du desert marocain
    Cereus.......................No. 7
    Cereus.......................No. 11
    L'Artisan Parfumeur.....Passage d'Enfer
    L'Artisan Parfumeur.....Dzongkha
    Mark Birley.................Mark Birley For Men

Underratted: LUI (not exactly underratted, but easily forgotten), KC RSVP, Baldessarini, must be cartier...