Code of Conduct

Thread: Eau de Rochas

Default Eau de Rochas

Any opinions on this one? I read the reviews which seem very positive. Unfortunately, this one isn't easy to find, and almost impossible to sample. Therefore, I'll probably end up buying blind. There is a 1.0 oz bottle I have my eyes on, so it won't be an expensive mistake if it doesn't work out...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Eau de Rochas

KMF,
    Its a nice citrusy scent. But I didn't find it having much character for me to be able to go through a whole bottle. But hey, its a good cheap thrill!

I had a bottle of this years ago. It is a nice fresh citrus with OK longevity. It had a unique lemon verbena accord which on my skin disappeared almost instantly but I could bring it back by getting my wrist wet. I know...weird. I found a large bottle listed on www.bigdiscount.com for $39.95.

I haven't sampled it. One of the BN reviews is: "Smells like Orangina soft drink when I first put it on, and then it morphs into a coniferous forest kind of scent that lasts and lasts."

This is exactly what I don't like, which is a frag that changes so much. I like more of a transition that is consistent, such as when you have a strong patchouli drydown but some of the top notes are still there. Instead, I'd go for Azzaro Silver Black, which has lime and also the interesting caraway note, or else something like Montana (blue box), which is dry lemon, or Uomo? Moschino. If you like pine and herbs that last a long time, Pino Silvestre is fine, but with PS, I find that it gets boring after a while, so I've used it as a room spray and it's really great for that. Everyone is different, of course, and I'll be the first to admit that I've become quite sensitive and rarely use more than two sprays at any one time.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The women's version of Eau de Rochas is really something unusual and IMO special.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

There's a significant difference between the original Eau de Rochas Pour Homme and the reformulated and significantly attenuated version that goes by the name of Eau de Rochas Homme.

It was Pluran who first pointed out to me the difference in names, and, to my surprise, I found that for the last two years I was wearing Eau de Rochas Homme instead of Eau de Rochas Pour Homme, of which I have a lifetime supply of back-up bottles. I was also wondering the whole time why it wasn't as satisfying a fragrance as I remembered it.

When I did a comparison test of the vintage version and the reformulated version, it was quite clear that the original, vintage version of the fragrances is where its true genius lies. Eau de Rochas Homme is a lesser fragrance, both figuratively and literally.

BTW, and
    for what it's worth, I consider the vintage version, Eau de Rochas Pour Homme, as an unequivocal top-ten-of-all-time men's fragrance.

There are significant differences in packaging as well. Please excuse the poor photos. I would put better ones up, but it not worth the effort for the two or three people that really give a shit about such things that aren't flavor of the month. Those two or three people can message me if they want more information. I will be happy to oblige them:

Original bottle--vintage formulation

Original Box--vintage formulation

Updated packaging and bottle--reformulated, attenuated formulation

scentemental

P.S. I do wish people would be a little more careful and make clear the distinction between the women's and men's versions of the fragrance they wish to discuss. The name of the men's fragrance has never been Eau de Rochas. It that kind of inattentiveness, which makes one miss out on a name change from Eau de Rochas Pour Homme to Eau de Rochas Homme, and, of course, one can also quite easily miss out on understanding the reformulation it underwent along with the name change. BTW, packaging and name change are almost always a sure sign of reformulation, which, 99.9% of the times means cheapening and attenuation of the original formula.

Back to my original point though: without stating the obvious, Eau de Rochas is the female version of the fragrance that came out in 1970--twenty three years earlier--as a response to the overwhelming attraction of Dior's men's fragrance Eau Sauvage for women, who have worn it ever since its first release in 1967. Eau de Rochas Pour Homme is the apogee of a grand tradition of more complex, multilayered, decidedly modern citrus chypres inaugurated by Eau Sauvage.

Last edited by scentemental; 22nd May 2008 at 06:42 AM.

Very interesting...this means that mine is the original juice.

Thanks, scentemental.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Oh, Scentemental, thank you!
    As for me - I`ve never seen the new bottle with new name, so I`m lucky.
    And I prefer feminine Eau de Rochas (also old one) to masculine version too.

And I could add that there were a lot of masculine-feminine colognes in the end of 60-s followed to Eau Sauvage: Eau Neuve de Lubin is amongst them.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Oh, Scentemental, thank you!
    As for me - I`ve never seen the new bottle with new name, so I`m lucky.
    And I prefer feminine Eau de Rochas (also old one) to masculine version too.

And I could add that there were a lot of masculine-feminine colognes in the end of 60-s followed to Eau Sauvage: Eau Neuve de Lubin is amongst them.
    You're more than welcome moon_fish.

Yes, indeed, Eau de Rochas is something else with that strange, metallic jasmonic note wedge between the citrus and the oakmoss.

I am glad you mentioned Eau Neuve de Lubin. I think that Lubin's L’Eau Neuve, is a wonderful fragrance in and of itself, but when all is said and done, it is basically a citrus, thyme, and musk trifle. It fails to please deeply, and it has little to no projection. One wishes it had some of the originality, daring, and modernity of Eau de Rochas Pour Homme. To me it seems like it's just too retro. A prequel to Eau Sauvage rather than a sequel.

scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Very interesting...this means that mine is the original juice.

Thanks, scentemental.

Always a pleasure my friend. I am glad to know you have the good stuff.
    Last edited by scentemental; 22nd May 2008 at 07:18 AM.

Thank you scentemental, and everyone else who replied. I apologize about the confusion. I posted the thread right before I went to bed so I was pretty exhausted at that point. I'll be on the lookout for the vintage formula...

I have a bottle of Reflets d'Eau Rochas Homme.

Where does this fragrance fit into the Eau de Rochas Homme and Eau de Rochas Pour Homme family?
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I have the new version, never saw the vintage one.

It s not very special but i ve always loved it. so fresh, so clean, just nice.

The thing also is that for such a citrus fresh it has a very good sillage, and on my skin a great longevity.

A great summe r scent in my opinion, it will always have a place in my wardrobe.

I know and have just Eau de Rochas Homme.

It is not a spectacular scent, but it is certainly a good one. It is a nice choice for people who love citrus/green scents. I use it like an alternative for Boucheron pour Homme (I did not say that they smell similar). EdRH starts very citrusy, and when green notes (especially coriander) start to show up it is a pure pleasure. To be perfectly frank, I do not like EdRH’s base. Maybe it is just because I do not like cedar in general.
    It lasts about 5 hours on my skin.
    I would not buy it without smelling it first, that is for sure
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

So I have the older version. Good to know. I never tried the newer version so can't compare, but I love this frag. It's bitter citrus, and not too many scents are bitter these days.
    Don't know why would they re-formulate it, it's so fresh...
    And it costs so cheap.

the pictures you showed scentimental show the after shave (the vintage ones)..

I purchased the old version (Eau de Rochas Pour Homme) but found the longevity very poor...about 10 minutes on my skin. I then got the new version (Eau de Rochas Homme) ...same thing. They both smell the same to me but I'm no expert so perhaps there is a difference.

Hi all,

I have Eau de Rochas new version, but would like to get the vintage one!!

Anyone knows where to get it from (Online)?

Quote Originally Posted by Ulises Rodriguez View Post
    Hi all,

I have Eau de Rochas new version, but would like to get the vintage one!!

Anyone knows where to get it from (Online)?
    Perfume Emporium has some. I bought a 1.0oz bottle form them because I figured that if Rochas reformulated in order to cut costs, part of that process would include getting rid of the 1.0oz bottle and sticking with the 1.7oz & the 3.4oz... So I ordered the 1.0oz and it was the vintage juice. I'm not sure about the 1.7oz or the 3.4oz.

Well I'll be darned - I own both those bottles listed above, and they do smell different.

The original has an extra green note of something or other in it. Fom memory, that makes it slighlty closer to the original women's one than the new one is.

I hadn't noticed this difference before - probably because I've rarely worn the aftershave splash.

I like the crisper, cleaner new formulation one better though.
    Renato

P.S. Curiously, now after four hours have elapsed, the old version aftershave splash on one wrist has about the same strength as that of the new version EDT on the other wrist.
    Last edited by Renato; 26th June 2008 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks for your fast answer!!!

So, you think that I should order the Eau de Rochas 1.0oz bottle from Perfume Emporium,
    just to be completely sure and get the Original Vintage one??

I will try ordering the 1.0oz bottle (Priced at US$22.99) from Perfume Emporium
    (with my AMAZOM.COM account) at the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...5TIUZ&v=glance

Any other sugestions?

Thanks for your help!!
    Last edited by Ulises Rodriguez; 26th June 2008 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulises Rodriguez View Post
    Thanks for your fast answer!!!

So, you think that I should order the Eau de Rochas 1.0oz bottle from Perfume Emporium,
    just to be completely sure and get the Original Vintage one??

I will try ordering the 1.0oz bottle (Priced at US$22.99) from Perfume Emporium
    (with my AMAZOM.COM account) at the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...5TIUZ&v=glance

Any other sugestions?

Thanks for your help!!
    I can't guarantee that you will get the vintage version, but that's how I did it and it worked for me...

Good luck!

Thanks KMF...I will order the 1.0oz bottle from Perfume Emporium,
    and will let you know if I get the vintage juice!!

Thanks for your help!!

I just ordered a vintage bottle from the us for half the price of a new bottle he in the uk, including shipping. Its hard to find here. Was that a dumb move with a cologne like this, or did I do good????

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by SusieSusie View Post
    I just ordered a vintage bottle from the us for half the price of a new bottle he in the uk, including shipping. Its hard to find here. Was that a dumb move with a cologne like this, or did I do good????
    Women's or men's? I have two bottles of the old pH stuff in the blue box. Fantastic stuff! I find it very dark and mossy after the delightful dry citrus opening. Turin gave it 4 stars and I agree. Longevity is strictly EdC -- no all day juice, this.

An excellent cheapo alternative (smells much more synthetic and cheaper, but a very similar concept) is Baryshnikov Sport.
    Last edited by MonkeyBars; 7th May 2012 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I like the crisper, cleaner new formulation one better though.
    Me too. I love floral citruses with smooth, "white/green" drydowns. This one starts all lemon, bergamot, and lime, progresses into a very watery masculine floral, and doesn't get herbal like the usual EDC-style "Eau's"....instead, it dries down very "creedish", smelling akin to what i imagine a hybrid between an Aventus relative and a neroli Sauvage relative might produce if cross-breeded.

Here in Portugal this one is, is very easy to find!
    The new "version" of course!
    I had the vintage many years ago and it was better!
    But this one is very nice well done, to me, also!
    Besides, "citrus" Lutens, it´s the only one citrus that I like!
    Go for itif yu can!

I have the original release of the men's and although haven't sprayed it in a while I remember liking it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    Women's or men's? I have two bottles of the old stuff in the blue box. Fantastic stuff! I find it very dark and mossy after the delightful dry citrus opening. Turin gave it 4 stars and I agree. Longevity is strictly EdC -- no all day juice, this.

An excellent cheapo alternative (smells much more synthetic and cheaper, but a very similar concept) is Baryshnikov Sport.
    Women's. Only because it seemed even more highly rated than the men's which I've smelt and it fab. I often wear men's stuff. I'm hoping it hasn't gone bad, but it was about £26 including shipping, so if it's not gone off its a bargain!

In fact eau de Rochas pour homme actually IS more available here in the UK online around the 20 odd quid mark, much less expensive than the women's.

Cannot agree more on this!
    I don't agree on the comment that it is short lasting. For a citrus frag it's pretty longlasting I would say (the vintage!).
    For me the smell is not dirty though very very complex in its stages after the wonderful opening. Still it keeps it freshness and citrus undertone all the way through till the end! High class fresh scent!

[QUOTE=scentemental;1225770]
    There's a significant difference between the original Eau de Rochas Pour Homme and the reformulated and significantly attenuated version that goes by the name of Eau de Rochas Homme.

It was Pluran who first pointed out to me the difference in names, and, to my surprise, I found that for the last two years I was wearing Eau de Rochas Homme instead of Eau de Rochas Pour Homme, of which I have a lifetime supply of back-up bottles. I was also wondering the whole time why it wasn't as satisfying a fragrance as I remembered it.

When I did a comparison test of the vintage version and the reformulated version, it was quite clear that the original, vintage version of the fragrances is where its true genius lies. Eau de Rochas Homme is a lesser fragrance, both figuratively and literally.

BTW, and
    for what it's worth, [COLOR=Blue]I consider the vintage version, Eau de Rochas Pour Homme, as an unequivocal top-ten-of-all-time men's fragrance.
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Chanel: Egoïste
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

The vintage version of EdRH has a very good longevity, for a citrus fragrance. Lasts longer than the new version, but both smell good.