Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Question Does your spouse/partner share your fragrance tastes and enthusiasm?

When it comes to fragrances, my partner has said to me many times “You really do like some strange s**t”. The most recent example of this is when he recoiled in horror after I made him smell the MPG Route du Vetiver I was trying out (btw – I liked it, but need to give it another wearing).
    I like a wide variety of fragrances, both designer and niche – and am always looking to sample different/unique fragrances. I also tend to like a lot of fragrances that sometimes have a “dirty” connection to them – Kouros, Jicky, Kingdom, Eau d’Hermes, etc.

My partner on the other hand, is quite content with mainstream fragrances and likes Obsession, Chrome, KC Black, etc. – and that is fine. It is what he likes and I think it smells good on him. Although I have tried little by little to get him to “branch out" - I bought him YSL M7 for Christmas and he does really like that (I know it is not very cutting edge, but for him it is).

He does not share my same enthusiasm for fragrances – but he does not have a problem with it or say much about it. Sometimes he just shakes his head and chuckles when he sees me decanting fragrances, or sampling different fragrances and comparing the smells from my right arm to my left arm. He also likes to announce “It looks like you got another package in the mail from one of you cologne buddies”.

So does your spouse/partner/significant other share your same tastes and enthusiasm in fragrances, or is she/he the polar opposite?
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Does your spouse/partner share your fragrance tastes and enthusiasm?

My partner's collection is fantastic, 2 Lutens, 1 Hermes, 1 Montale, Helmut Lang Cuiron. That said, he thinks I'm nuts. Especially when I go on a Mitsouko bender.

Default Re: Does your spouse/partner share your fragrance tastes and enthusiasm?

Looking for a partner to share this hobby with. There's not much fun indulging in this alone.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I currently have no partner, but of the men I've dated, they all have a healthy respect for my love of perfume and they have been generous with opinions, comments, and compliments - so I take that as a show of support. Other than that, I have a number of friends who enjoy fragrance. When we get together for lunch or dinner, we usually include a little sniffing session before or afterward. Also, all of my siblings except for one enjoy fragrances. The one who doesn't will still indulge the rest of us with opinions and analysis. So, despite the fact that a SO doesn't exist at this time, I do not at all feel alone in this hobby. I enjoy the freedom to indulge any way I see fit, actually!

Unfortunately my girlfriend doesn´t care much about fragrance, and I think she thinks I am a bit weird when it comes to perfume. I believe her indifference to fragrances has to do with a not so well functioning nose. Although it is pretty big in a slavic kind of way (it was her nose I fell for when I first met her) - she can´t sense fragrances. (But she will wear anything I give her. )

Although my wife has a good nose, she doesn't share my interest. She does pick some good frags though.

My wife has always had an excellent collection. My newfound interest has only fueled her own. Our preferences overlap in some interesting ways. She loves fragrances like Yatagan, Egoiste, Antaeus, Acqua di Cuba, Bois du Portugal, Ambre Sultan, Winter Star, L'Anarchiste, New York. She has her own decants of more than thirty of my fragrances. I have Jicky, Tabac Blond and several other decants of hers. It is nice to be able to share this passion.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I once dated a guy with hereditary anosmia. So, no, he didn't share my love of fragrances. He didn't really much care one way or the other what I smelled like. It was amazing benefit, really.

My husband has definite preferences about what he likes and doesn't like. We are very opposite in many ways. My hobbies are not shared by him, and vice versa. I'm a fish, and he is a bird. And in a way, I prefer it. My life is separate from his, but still joined by our zeniths.

We often dream about taking off for warmer areas. He prefers to fly. I'll be sailing.

Unfortunately I don't have any of those (no spouse/partner/significant other) at the moment. I've never really had any issues with my hobby though. My recent significant other now has around 15 bottles and still calls me for help when buying new ones. I think I passed my insanity on to her. She had great taste and really liked what I owned so I guess I could say that she did share this experience with me.

The others that I have been with have enjoyed how I smell but did not really like smells all that much. What a shame...

I am ramping my partner to our world...Like Nietzsche said " One must experience hell to understand heaven"- I made her sample AXE It did the trick- then I introduced her to hanae Mori, miyake- Nu, Light blue M7 and smells of the sorts...the process has been interesting- the best part is that she is liking the whole experiment

Wink Re: Does your spouse/partner share your fragrance tastes and enthusiasm?

She enjoys perfume, but not as much as I enjoy it. Her collection is much smaller than mine. She has a GREAT nose for knowing what I will like, though her personal preferences are very different than mine. She prefers my fragrances to smell clean & fresh. I recoil, & spritz the "dirty" frags.

PS: She does like Kouros!
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 22nd May 2008 at 05:22 PM.

Well I once dated someone who seemed to bathe in perfume; unfortunately it was always the same three scents which would alternate between morning/evening/special occasion...

But mostly I've dated people who either didn't like fragrances, didn't wear any or didn't care. Unfortunately even my friends seem to fall in this category.

Oh, but my family tend to be nice about my liking of fragrances which is ok
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

My boyfriend is really beginning to. When we began dating he had only one fragrance - L'eau d'Issey. I've bought him bottles as gifts of what he's really liked after we've gone scent shopping together - he loves Silver Mountain Water, Santos, Virgin Island Water and the most recent purchase, Washington Tremlett Royals Heroes (this one was new to both of us).
    I think I'm done buying his fragrances after our last shopping trip because...
    after spending hours in Scent Bar and Neiman Marcus, after getting his RH, after his receiving several samples of things he liked at each place, and watching him repeatedly sniff every portion of his arm taken by a different fragrance, he goes, "Man, these smell good. What are you doing to me?"
    Haha! I wonder if an addict is in the making.
    Last edited by turquoisewater; 22nd May 2008 at 06:20 PM. Reason: found an error. :)

My girlfriend hardly ever wore perfumes before my indulgence into the hobby. Now, whenever we come across a discount perfume store she has to go in. Just this past weekend we were at an outlet shop and she bought some Burberry London for Women.

I have no one now so I can only speak about the past…
    One of my girlfriends was allergic to scents so we had a huge problem (I mean – she had a huge problem).
    Couple of years, during the college; I was in relationship with an (much) older woman. She had about 60 scents in her collection and her favourite was Samsara. Thanks to her, I smelt Chanel No. 5, Opium, Magie Noire, Shalimar… for the first time.
    My last ex GF did not care much about the scents but she had a very nice habit: she bought me fragrances for every anniversary, birthday, New Year, or for no special reason… well; maybe she is not that bad after all… maybe I should call her these days…
    However, my best friend (also one of the BN members) is a huge scent admirer. We talk about fragrances all the time and I respect his opinions very much. I can tell that he infected me with the parfemomania virus.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

My partner wears no fragrances but plays admirably along with and respects my fascination. He even suggested buying a new cabinet for storing the collection and seems to appreciate the way I've arranged the latest display of Hermes bottles in the bathroom. He generally enjoys taking a whiff of whatever it is I'm sampling - and I usually get an interesting comment. One day, however, he had to escape into another room when I sampled Tom Ford's Amber Absolute - really potent stuff! I was wearing Jaipur edp another day and I was told it was making him nauseous. So totally unproblematic it is not!

My wife is completely supportive and she does not care how many bottles I have. DANGEROUS! She also frequently compliments me and helps me pick new ones. In other words, she's an angel.

She owns about 10 bottles compared to my 30. My favorites on her are all the Philosophy scents and Rossamor. She prefers orientals on me. She does not like most aquatics. She tends to pick out powdery scents for me.

Her favorites on me are Terre d'Hermes and Rive Gauche. She also likes Prada and Dolce & Gabbana.

Basenotes Institution

What a great thread petruccijc!

When I met my husband he only wore fragrances casually. He used to wear Banana Republic Classic, which is a great scent, but at the time he worked for BR so I think it was more for that reason, not because he actually shopped for the scent.

During the past ten years, my fragrance obsession has evolved incredibly. So has my wardrobe. He has been a part of that. Many years ago (prior to joining BN) it was he, that sniffed The Dreamer by Versace and decided it was a true revolutionary fragrance (it took me many wearing to understand it). When I joined Basenotes, I think he was a little shocked by how engaged in it I became. But he sees how excited I get talking about fragrances with others, so he indulges me and allows me to thrive and enjoy my passion.

He has been extremely patient, cooperative and open minded about all of my fragrance selections. If he doesn't like what I'm wearing, he usually says nothing.

His personal wardrobe has expanded and he is usually drawn to quite edgy stuff these days (Guerilla 1 by Comme des Garcons was his idea to buy) like I am. He still has a holy grail scent, it's Black XS by Paco Rabanne. But more recently, he's been using my Calamus (Leaves Series) by Comme des Garcons a lot - it smells so sparse and crisp in the summer heat here in Miami. He is also on a white floral 'kick' himself, having just bought for himself a new bottle of Michael Kors (the womans).

He is also a great 'available' nose for me, when I'm gang testing samples and I need him to help me identify a note in a fragrance. This helps a bunch when I just can't pin down what the heck I'm smelling, from a sample or new scent.

I guess you could say I'm (like a few of us here on Basenotes) extremely lucky!
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    She enjoys perfume, but not as much as I enjoy it. Her collection is much smaller than mine. She has a GREAT nose for knowing what I will like, though her personal preferences are very different than mine. She prefers my fragrances to smell clean & fresh. I recoil, & spritz the "dirty" frags.

PS: She does like Kouros!
    Your a lucky guy! My wife forbids me to wear Kouros and wants me to wear AdG or le Male all the time. XD

Blog Entries

my wife is 'sort' of into it....but not really.

overall, she thinks i've just gone nuts talking about perfumes, and analyzing their every note.......she's probably right.

i think she LIKES most of my perfume, except Eau D'Hermes, which she finds repulsive.

Yes.....my Wife is a Fragrance Lover also. Flower Bomb is Her scent of choice. Along with Armani Code for Women, RL Style, RL Romance, Mania Pour Femme, Spring Flowers by Creed, 5th Avenue, Angel Femme, Love In White by Creed and Eclat Arpege by Lanvin.
    Gary

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Does your spouse/partner share your fragrance tastes and enthusiasm?

Like a scheming drug dealer, I am slowly changing my wife's tastes, and stoking her need for "juice". When she recently stole my bottle of Un Jardin sur le Nil, claiming it was "perfect" for her, I acted hurt, so that she would let me buy myself an immediate replacement fragrance (bwa-ha-ha). But inside, I reveled in the knowledge that I was dragging her away from the safety of her old Chanel classics and Madame Rochas, and into dangerous, modern-fragrance, perfumaniac territory. Letting her steal scents (which she would not buy herself) from me is, indeed, one of my most devious tricks, as I convert her to the dark side.

We do NOT have the same tastes, so I shop with her as often as possible to find scents we agree on. This Machiavellian move fills my wardrobe with scents which encourage her budding perfumania - and the fact that she pays for them makes it all the sweeter. My taste in scents for my own wear runs toward loud and proud, whereas she prefers when I wear those hideously light, "clean" (gag) sport scents and soapy monstrosities. Well, she's OCD - I guess it figures. Fortunately, we can agree on strong aquatics and woody/fresh, as well as some stronger (but non-floral) scents. She does not like florals on me, at all. She likes to wear classy florals during the day, but she indulges my perfume fetish by wearing strong, spicy, sexy scents in the evening.

A few months ago, I would have said "polar opposite". But thanks to relentless treachery, she shall soon be on our side (he said, rubbing his hands together in evil glee). I can tell - the force is strong with this one. When she asked me to photograph her wardrobe so that she could show her office friends, I knew she was destined to fall into my trap. Bwa-ha-ha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    What a great thread petruccijc!
    <snip>
    I was going to say the same thing!

My wife quit wearing perfume when my son was born. He had/has asthma.

I just got into fragrances a few months ago. My wife knows me as a person who gets easily obsessed with various hobbies. Such as: guitar, rocketry, RC helis and planes, shaving and now fragrances. She just rolls her eyes. However, she is happy that I am happy. Good wife. Having said all that, I just got her D&G Light Blue for Mother's Day. She likes it. She also tried all the Woman's fragrances in the Penhaligon's scent library. She liked them all except Bluebell. Maybe she will get into fragrances more. Nah. I have known here for 14+ years. I know better.

No, not at all, she is indifferent.

Ah... in a word... no.

I got a most pleasant surprise today. I was minding my own business, when my guy comes up and asks me, "What does sandalwood smell like?"

"Why do you ask?"

"Well, I just spent $100 on shaving stuff."

(I didn't realize using old safety razors is cheaper than trying to keep up with newer safety razors' constant modifying.)

Anyway, the $100 wasn't the pleasant part. What was pleasant was that I had some sandalwood incense I was about to mail to my godsister, and I was able to fish it out and show him! And then I found out, he decided against the lavender because he'd had a lavender bush in the yard of his childhood home, and he didn't think that it would be something he'd want to use everyday.

So, I just thought it was kinda cool how even people I thought I knew well can surprise you with their tastes and knowledge.

My roommate can't stand my repeated hand sniffing ritual...She thinks it looks silly and since the nose habituates to the smell which fades away anyway, there's no point... So I have to explain to her that a good scent is like watching a good movie..Would she walk out of the theatre after the first 10 minutes thinking she know's what the movie's about having acquired a general feel for it and since it's going to end soon anyway what's the point? No she would stay seated right till the end, since it has a plot which unravels before her and theres a hanging question mark hanging about what happens next...Same with scents, they evolve and unfold. Why would one want to miss any part of that?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

My spouse doesn't share my enthusiasm for scents. I believe he is somewhat anosmic, judging by some of his remarks about things I have worn. He says things smell like harsh cleansers, or urinal cakes, for example, when no one else seems to think so. Whenever I am about to buy another bottle of fragrance, he tells me, "You don't need that." He is absolutely right; but then I buy it anyway, because I am absolutely right too. We are both absolutely right in our own truth.

He does however, exhibit excellent (but very limited) taste in his own selection: he wears Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT, ever and only. It makes no difference to him what the occasion. It's his panacea, his one-size-fits-all, his one-trick pony... He is, however, very happy that he has a lifetime supply of Habit Rouge, graciously (ahem!) provided by yours truly. This very restricted taste is typical of him in other ways: he eats only at a few restaurants; he very nearly always dresses in the same casual style; he refuses to eat some of the most commonly served foods; he seems to enjoy a very limited range of activities; he is even resolutely monolingual. We are very unalike in these matters; where he is quite selective and restrictive, I am a person of catholic tastes and love all forms of exuberance. I love variety and trying new things. Occasionally, he indulges me by accompanying me on these excursions; many times I have to rely on my friends for company on my rampages.

I need to say in his defense that he has many other, sterling qualities, which I will not go into too deeply here, except to say that he is scrupulously honest, extremely generous, a highly gifted artist, and (last but not least) entirely devoted to my person and to our relationship. Sometimes I find myself thinking it would be nice if he shared my passion for scents, but then I think it would be boring if we were very much more alike. I love him just the way he is, quirks and all, and I wouldn't dream of changing even a hair of his head, as we say in Spanish.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

My BF has the best nose I've ever encountered, but he's not interested in fragrances. I give him samples of the mens fragrances I've tried and he uses them occasionally.

I wish I could have his nose: he can open the front door of our apartment and say: Oh, did you buy a new glossy magazine? (when it's still in my bag in another room), because he can detect the smell of glossy paper. But when it comes to fragrances he either finds them "nice" or "wierd", and is not interested in discussing them further.

Wow interesting reads.

My bf has pretty much joined "the dark side" [funny though, I would have thought our side was the bright, "good" side ] When I met him he wore Drakkar Noir and Lomani but I helped him discover the world of sweet fragrances Recently gave him my Pi, Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin and one of those Cool Water limited editions (Game? Not too sure but it's rather like fruity Drakkar Noir). He loves his Pi and also seems to like the Lolita Lempicka, not too sure about the Davidoff. I know now he wants Dior Homme and Body Kouros (although maybe the latter is coz I like it so much!) and I'm trying to introduce him to niche... but I'm not too knowledgable about niche for men (but that's what BN is for! )

Absolutely not, my husband is indifferent to fragrances and this whole area of interest.

My wife say my oud smells like poop!

My girlfriend enjoys her perfume, and definitely has a particular type of frag that she likes on me / herself. That said, she has only ever bought herself 1 perfume, while I've bought her at least 5 in the short year and a bit that we have been going out! She is studying psychology, so she understands this little hobby of mine, and encourages it believe it or not, however she keeps me going off the rails and spending way too much
    I've got a newfound liking for Fleur du Male, which unfortunately she doesnt like at all (It is very femme compared to the rest of what I own)... I'll keep on testing it and maybe she will come round
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Although my girlfriend does not share my interest in fragrance collection, she does have a fine taste of her own. She would not be one to collect, but just cant help spraying some of my SL's Un Bois Vanille quite often!!

She also has a mini wish list, including Bond No 9's "Scent of Peace" and "Byrant Park", Hermes "Kelly Calleche", Comptoir Sud Pacifique's "Coco Vanille" and her most recent discovery, Parfumerie Generale's "Louanges Profanes" - which she has a good chance of having (well it will be mine but she can use it!) As I sold my Tobacco vanille and a friend from work has agreed to purchase this from Les Senteurs for me!

So she doesnt have an obsession like me, but she does njoy fine fragrances! At least I know she will smell good, hehe!!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    My spouse doesn't share my enthusiasm for scents. I believe he is somewhat anosmic, judging by some of his remarks about things I have worn. He says things smell like harsh cleansers, or urinal cakes, for example, when no one else seems to think so. Whenever I am about to buy another bottle of fragrance, he tells me, "You don't need that." He is absolutely right; but then I buy it anyway, because I am absolutely right too. We are both absolutely right in our own truth.

He does however, exhibit excellent (but very limited) taste in his own selection: he wears Guerlain Habit Rouge EdT, ever and only. It makes no difference to him what the occasion. It's his panacea, his one-size-fits-all, his one-trick pony... He is, however, very happy that he has a lifetime supply of Habit Rouge, graciously (ahem!) provided by yours truly. This very restricted taste is typical of him in other ways: he eats only at a few restaurants; he very nearly always dresses in the same casual style; he refuses to eat some of the most commonly served foods; he seems to enjoy a very limited range of activities; he is even resolutely monolingual. We are very unalike in these matters; where he is quite selective and restrictive, I am a person of catholic tastes and love all forms of exuberance. I love variety and trying new things. Occasionally, he indulges me by accompanying me on these excursions; many times I have to rely on my friends for company on my rampages.

I need to say in his defense that he has many other, sterling qualities, which I will not go into too deeply here, except to say that he is scrupulously honest, extremely generous, a highly gifted artist, and (last but not least) entirely devoted to my person and to our relationship. Sometimes I find myself thinking it would be nice if he shared my passion for scents, but then I think it would be boring if we were very much more alike. I love him just the way he is, quirks and all, and I wouldn't dream of changing even a hair of his head, as we say in Spanish.
    That was so sweet Jaime. And hey, if you have to smell only one scent on him for the rest of your life, at least he has good taste and picked Habit Rouge.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle