Code of Conduct

Default T.J. Maxx BIG ol' bottle 1902 Cologne by Berdoues of France

Hi all,

Today was the first time I bought a bottle of Fragrance in some time. I've been away from Basenotes and the Fragrance hobby for nearly two years! So today, I jumped right back in and visited T.J. Maxx.
    I didn't see anything too exciting other than the usual "also ran" when suddenly, I spied with my little eye, sitting all by it's lonesome, a MEGA sized, eight sided clear bottle of clear liquid with a large Silver cap. Holy Cow, what the heck is this ? Geeeze, 480 ml-15.84 fl.oz YIKES! The label read as follows :

1902-Eau De Cologne Tradition-NATURELLE-made in France.

Ummm...the fine print said something to the effect that ever since 1902 Eau De Cologne has been made for four generations who strive to preserve the original perfection of the product in the purest tradition.

Heck, sounds good to me! So, I removed the large Silver cap and put a bit of the clear juice on my wrist.
    Ummmm, not bad, not bad at all. Very light, fresh, cooling, a bit soapy with a bit of sparkle. The cost, Wow, only $7.99 lol. I quickly decided I couldn't pass up this MEGA bottle at this price. I figure this is just the type of fragrance that is a PERFECT Summer (staying home) fragrance for after my evening shower. Ha, and you ol' timer BN'ers thought I only bought NICHE fragrances lol.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Blog Entries

Default Re: T.J. Maxx BIG ol' bottle 1902 Cologne by Berdoues of France

That's crazy. You could take a bath with it just for a goof.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi all,

Today was the first time I bought a bottle of Fragrance in some time. I've been away from Basenotes and the Fragrance hobby for nearly two years! So today, I jumped right back in and visited T.J. Maxx.
    I didn't see anything too exciting other than the usual "also ran" when suddenly, I spied with my little eye, sitting all by it's lonesome, a MEGA sized, eight sided clear bottle of clear liquid with a large Silver cap. Holy Cow, what the heck is this ? Geeeze, 480 ml-15.84 fl.oz YIKES! The label read as follows :

1902-Eau De Cologne Tradition-NATURELLE-made in France.

Ummm...the fine print said something to the effect that ever since 1902 Eau De Cologne has been made for four generations who strive to preserve the original perfection of the product in the purest tradition.

Heck, sounds good to me! So, I removed the large Silver cap and put a bit of the clear juice on my wrist.
    Ummmm, not bad, not bad at all. Very light, fresh, cooling, a bit soapy with a bit of sparkle. The cost, Wow, only $7.99 lol. I quickly decided I couldn't pass up this MEGA bottle at this price. I figure this is just the type of fragrance that is a PERFECT Summer (staying home) fragrance for after my evening shower. Ha, and you ol' timer BN'ers thought I only bought NICHE fragrances lol.

Regards,
    SixCats!
    Hey SixCats,

In the past couple of weeks, I have found and bought 4 different bottles of the Berdoues 1902 Colognes at TJ Maxx and Marshalls - Naturelle, Lavender, Vetiver, and Thé Vert. They were $7.99, but I found 1 bottle in the clearance section for $6.00. So be on the lookout for the other scents if you like it.

I agree that they are really great summer fragrances to splash on - and what a great value for the money!

Enjoy!

Joe
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th May 2008 at 10:54 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

For your info - it looks like one person has that same scent going for $55 on ebay!
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

Hi guys,

RP, what ? $55.00 ! UNreal! Joe, way too go there my friend! I mean, how can you pass up such a bargin. I did a little research last night and found several sites on the topic of Berdoues fragrances.
    Well, now I'll have to be on the "look out" for Berdoues Vetiver and Lavender. Bsoul, yep, you got that right, that is to say one could take a bath in this stuff given it's so inexpensive. This is the perfect fragrance for one like myself who always tends to get carried away when applying fragrance. Oooh, btw, I poured some 1902 into a spray bottle for quick applications. Is this the best fragrance ever created, heck no. It is simply a inexpensive nice/light smelling fragrance that (unlike niche fragrances) one is not afraid to use often for fear of running out! I being "The Black Hole" of fragrance can afford to use as much of this as I please lol. I THINK 1902 might last better than 4711, time will tell.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Uh, how I wish T.J. Maxx would open just one subsidiary in central Germany. Right next to Trader Joe's. Sigh.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I picked up one of the 15.84 oz. 1902 Vetiver bottles for $3.99 at TJ Maxx on clearance because someone had opened it up and put it back. It really reminds me of Thierry Mugler Cologne, and for about a quarter per ounce, I haven't really looked for another fresh vetiver scent.

I guess I'm just gonna have to visit Marshalls tomorrow!

I wonder if there's a T.J. Maxx around my office...

Hi all,

Well, today I checked out T.J. Maxx Sister store Marshalls in hopes of find some more BIG ol' bottles of Berdoues. Arrrrr, no such luck. I will have to check out the other T.J.Maxx when I get a chance.
    Oooh, tonight, I did a A-B test. 1902 vs. 4711. IMNSHO, I prefer the 1902. I think it just has a nicer fragrances and no doubt last longer than 4711 which disappears on my skin within no time. The 1902 is EXTREAMLY close to the skin and very very light. Still, nice.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Who is Berdoues of France though? Is this a new company? I don't find them listed here on BN's and have never heard of them before.

Since there stuff is already showing up at TJ Maxx and Marshall's, does that mean they already folded up shoppe and gave up on the cologne biz?

Berdoues is a venerable French perfume house, founded in 1902, famous in particular for their Violettes des Toulouses and now active in the drug store fragrance field. As I have frequently noted, their EdC No.444 Extra Vieille is one of the most neroli-intensive of such waters and very nice - discontinued of course. I gather their re-engineered 1902 collection is modernized and probably a good deal more synthetic than their old-fashioned stuff used to be. And apparently not a big seller in the US.

http://www.parfumsberdoues.com/
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Thanks for the info and the website link!

Is the 1902 collection supposed to be Unisex or for just women? The packaging kind of looks Unisex, but from reading the site I get the feeling it's marketed more towards women.

Hi all,

TGL, thank you for responding to atrac question. Good information. atrac, I really wouldn't worry too much a fragrance is marketed towards Men or Woman. I figure, if it smells good (and isn't TOO much) flower, I'll wear it. Heck, I had several (so called) Woman's fragrances in my collection that I wore all the time. Kingdom and Bandit immediately come to mind for example.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Sur la Plage

I have seen some of the Berdoues products being sold in Casswell-Massey stores - for a lot more money.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 21st May 2008 at 02:03 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I was able to find Lavender and Vetiver at a not-so-local Marshall's today since I was out traveling. I smelled them and have to say that I really liked the Lavender. It starts off very similar to Atkinson's English Lavender and then quickly dries down to a nice powdery scent. I bought it, but I think this is going to be a comfort scent that I wear at home...it smells a little feminine to me after it dries down.

The Veiver bottle that I saw had clearly been tested many times and was not marked down at all. I tried a little and didn't find it too much to my liking -- too feminine for my taste. Every time I whiffed my hand I immediately pictured an elderly lady. Now that I read that Pecota thinks it smells like Therry Mugler cologne I think I should have given it more of a fair shake. I probably should have just bought it. $7.99 for that much cologne is really a no-brainer. Apparently I didn't have mine in use today.

What does "Thé Vert" smell like? I'll need to keep an eye out for it and Naturelle. Unfortunately I won't be going back to that particular store, so maybe I'll find some at another one..and maybe the bottles will be full.

Hi atrac,

I like that..."comfort scent". Yep, that's exactly how I plan to use my 1902. I'm glad you found at least one bottle you liked. I mean, how can you go wrong for less than eight dollars! Oooh, I tried another
    T.J. Maxx today but, no luck! Oooh well, I know where there are a couple of other T.J. Maxx to search.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Hey Guys,

Ah ha! Today, I found another BIG ol' bottle of 1902. I found the LAVANDER and the VERT (Green Tea)
    however, both where not to my liking. T'was than I hit "pay dirt", I found the 1902 VETIVER! Oooh yea, a quick sampeling and I decided to buy that bad boy for eight dollars. Berdoues 1902 VETIVER is like the 1902 NATURELLE in that it is light, refreshing, with just a petite bit of Vetiver bit. I find it quite pleasent. The scent is very close to the skin for sure. Again, I find these fragrances perfect for SPLASHING all over ones body after a nice evening shower. Ahhhhhhhh.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Sur la Plage

Good going SixCats.

I know how it is to be on a "mission" or "hunt" to find something that you are really looking for.

Enjoy!