Code of Conduct

Default Gaultier˛ - More Feminine or Masculine?

I have tested Gaultier˛ today and I must say, this is amazing stuff.
    I'm not fond of unisex fragrances, they actually scare me because I don't want people to think I'm gay. So I don't want to smell like a women.

But I must say, this fragrance got me hooked. I like it.
    I have a feeling this might work very good with the ladies if you go out.

Now I want to know what people here think about Gaultier˛.
    Is it more masculine or feminine, according to you?

I vote for Masculine.

(I won't include a poll, to get 100% real opinions)

Default Re: Gaultier˛ - More Feminine or Masculine?

Too feminine for me. Too sweet as well.

60% feminine, 40% Masculine
    Be who you are and say what you feel, cause those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    I'm not fond of unisex fragrances, they actually scare me because I don't want people to think I'm gay. So I don't want to smell like a women...
    LOL - this part of your post made me giggle.

Well, I can't stand Gaultier2 and I'm as gay as a goose. Go figure.

Having said that, I don't think I dislike G2 because of it's gender classification, rather it's just too vanilla and grape bubblegum prominent to my nose. Plus it turns a wee bit powdery on me, and I hate that.

If you like it JBL, wear it. Screw what people think - life is too short for that.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd May 2008 at 10:25 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I might have discovered my feminine side.
    Scary!

I am actually in search of something with vanilla, sweet, but not like Le Male.
    Maybe Lolita l'Empicka?
    Suggestions are welcome!
    Last edited by Suppressor; 23rd May 2008 at 10:28 PM.

Blog Entries

i smelled this for the first time the other day as well, and i liked it alot!

i DO however think that it's a bit feminine.......even though there is some booziness which makes it a bit more masculine, i think the vanilla undertones stand out in the end....

i like it....but i don't think i can get myself to buy it....maybe if i find it cheap

Lolita Lempicka can be thought of Le Male MINUS the vanilla, but added with anise, absinthe, etc -- I am a big fan since everyone around me seems to love/like it. You'd be surprised that mixed with my sweat... it ends up smelling like CDG's Kyoto. Yea, somehow it turns all incensey. LOL. Strange body chemistry.

I have Gaultier2. Everyone "out there" seems to vote that it is feminine. I think it's a great bed time frag. Comfy as long as you don't over-apply. A lot of people can't stand it though. Ultra-powered vanilla that ends up all powdery. You can also use it for layering by spraying ONCE and spreading it throughout -- then applying whatever you'd like. Adds a touch of sweetness.

I like vanillic/warm sweetness in general -- as cloying it may be. For reference, try out Escada's Sentiment. That is the type of sweetness I really hate. Nauseating sickening jackfruit. I hate jackfruit.

When I wore it, I had to look down at my chest to make sure I didn't have tits.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

actually scare me because I don't want people to think I'm gay.

You shouldn't let the thoughts or potential thoughts of other people dictate what you really want to do. It's not right at all.

I'm gay, but I don't act feminine or talk with a lisp. I haven't had a single person ask me if I'm gay. I've worn Black Orchid proudly...infact, I don't even give it a second thought 'Oh no, if I wear this, will people think I'm gay?'...I just wear it.

The opinions of your friends and family are the only opinions that should matter to you as they're the only people that know you well enough to be able to make a judgement on you. Don't worry man, just wear it if you like it, don't hold back. At the end of the day it's JUST a fragrance - a certain smell doesn't determine your sexuality.
    Last edited by interludeINC21; 24th May 2008 at 01:02 AM.

I love sweet smells but it's way to sweet for me.

stop....

gaultier 2 is nowhere near "too feminine".....first of all the whole premise of defining a note or notes as "for females only" is very close minded in my understanding because i am a true believer as to whatever fits your skin is perfect for you regardless of any gender....

as far as gaultier 2.....vanilla notes are strongly mixed with this scent of a fine cuban cigar .....anyone who smelled it on me where shocked to find out that it was unisex, let alone "feminine"....

P.S some think Musc Ravageur is "feminine" too and i personally cant picture a female getting away with wearing that one.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Sur la Plage

I'm gay, but wasn't until I started wearing Gaultier²

IMO I think it is more of a masculine scent.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th May 2008 at 02:32 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I'm gay, but wasn't until I started wearing Gaultier˛
    Actually Joe, I think it was when your boyfriend starting wearing Gaultier2.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Haha! That literally made me laugh out loud.

*Edit*: Geez, I forgot to even reply to the original poster. Guerlain Heritage fits your bill like a glove.
    Last edited by whosyourcaddy05; 24th May 2008 at 02:47 AM.

Sur la Plage

You're right Mike - Damn that boyfriend!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

LOL

I knew some "funny" posts would come about me mentioning sexuality.
    But all I want to avoid is smelling like a girl really.
    And therefore I want other opinions. I want to know what people think about it.
    So I can actually read the thoughts of people who are walking by and are forming an image of me by the first impressions, and those include fragrance.

If I didn't know Basenotes, I probably wouldn't even try unisex fragrances.

It's funny you guys laugh with "Gaultier² made me gay", but actually that IS possible if we are talking about how other people perceive it.

You should check the stares I get in a perfume shop from girls.
    You should check the stares I get from people who see me comming out of the perfume shop. They are basically laughing at me.
    Cultures tend to vary you know...
    I don't want people to get wrong thoughts about me.
    Therefore I'm cautious of anything with a feminine twist.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 24th May 2008 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post

Ok, look again now. Surprise!!

All kidding aside, i find G2 masculine, and this is coming from someone who would never wear 'femenine' fragrances.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I'm as gay as a goose.
    You know, I have never heard that saying before. You've got to tell me Mike, how gay is a goose?
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

When I was in Italy last year I bought two big tester bottles of Gaultier² which were going cheap at the local hardware store.

I gave one to the 77 year old lady who lived next door, as she was always making cups of coffee for us.

She loved it and sprayed it on her boyfriend, who tried dodging it unsuccessfully, but wound up liking it too.

And her 20 year old granddaughter kept coming around to spray some on before going out, as she thought it was marvellous.

And I wore the stuff from my bottle, as my wife thought it was a tad masculine and she didn't want it.

Opinions seem to vary on this one.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 24th May 2008 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post

The I am afraid of smelling/dressing/looking like a gay always make me laugh... Come on, someone needs more confidence.

G2 is 110% feminine
    -10% Masculine.

But if you like it, wear it. assertiveness and confidence is more important than fake masculinity...

Wait a sec. I am a Mexican... the international stereotype says I have to be a Macho...

If you use it your penis is gonna fall off!
    Last edited by irish; 24th May 2008 at 06:40 AM.

Hey Renato, what a great story! You bought it at a hardware store?

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    When I was in Italy last year I bought two big tester bottles of Gaultier˛ which were going cheap at the local hardware store.

I gave one to the 77 year old lady who lived next door, as she was always making cups of coffee for us.

She loved it and sprayed it on her boyfriend, who tried dodging it unsuccessfully, but wound up liking it too.

And her 20 year old granddaughter kept coming around to spray some on before going out, as she thought it was marvellous.

And I wore the stuff from my bottle, as my wife thought it was a tad masculine and she didn't want it.

Opinions seem to vary on this one.
    Renato
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by bbobkc View Post
    I was wondering the same thing! I know if they carried fragrances at the hardware stores here in the United States, the manager would be called and yelled at, or the clerk might get pistol-whipped. It's a shame really, maybe it would alleviate the unending "fragrances are for sissies" stereotype if they carried fragrances at the "manly" stores. Unfortunately, this is about as likely as dealers selling *real* cars at their Hummer dealerships.

Yes, it was one of life's little mysteries. Unlike in my previous visit two years earlier, I was getting disappointed as there didn't seem to be any good scents going cheap in Italy this time round.

Then something went wrong with the tap, and the neighbour's boyfriend said not to go into town, but just to go a kilometer down the road to Cosmo's. So I did. I found the stuff for the tap, and that they were selling heaps of testers for around 30 Euros of all sorts of top of the range scents.

It struck me as curious that, after having travelled hundreds of kilometers around the place and being disappointed, the best value perfume store in Italy was within walking distance of my house.
    Renato

Well there are some perfumes for women which I'd feel confident wearing... but Gaultier2 isn't one of them. It's overtly feminine, and it isn't that nice either.

I'd say 10% masculine, 90% feminine
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

I don't really give a monkeys about whether someone thinks I'm gay or not, there are more important things in life to worry about.

I'll try any fragrance if it smells good on me. Chanel No19 smells great on me so I'm quite happy to wear that when I feel like it.

As to Gaultier2 my problem with it is not which side of the gender divide it falls, but simply that it smells vile. It has a cloying sweetness to it which doesn't go away even after a superficial washing.

I wish JPG would stop producing fragrances full stop to be honest.

Having said that, I don't think I dislike G2 because of it's gender classification, rather it's just too vanilla and grape bubblegum prominent to my nose. Plus it turns a wee bit powdery on me, and I hate that.

If you like it JBL, wear it. Screw what people think - life is too short for that.
    are geese gay? ha ha... have never heard that expression....mike i am with you on the grape bubble gum...its amazing how much it smells like that though isnt it? I like it, but find i cannot wear it for how sweet it is...only one person, a hottie at the gym, complimented me on it...i was floored that she was speaking to me, much less about my cologne, that i sputtered out Gaultier, but ever after people told me i smelled really strange...but mike is also right about gender classification....i think Dior Homme should be for women and McQueens Kingdom should be for men! If you love it then wear it!!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Funny, I tend to think of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanilla as being more feminine, and find G2 to be more masculine. I really think they're both examples of how differently scents can work with your own personal body chemistry.

The problem with it -as others mentioned- that it's way too sweet and loud. Not my personality. Nevertheless I bought a bottle, but this would belong to the 'true basenoters...' thread

Basenotes Institution

You know, I have never heard that saying before. You've got to tell me Mike, how gay is a goose?
    Well you asked. 'Gay Geese', article in Psychology Today. I'm not joking...

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Talking Re: Gaultier˛ - More Feminine or Masculine?

Don't tell me then, you giggled when you saw the gaggle of gay geese? Nyuk, nyuk.
    Quite an article. I had actually seen it before.

I think I prefer Cuba Gold (a Le Male clone) to this one, because G2 has a "hairspray" type of thing going on. As to "feminine," Anucci was too much for me. I wouldn't wear it outside the house because it struck me as too feminine, except perhaps one spray spread around and also possibly diluted a bit, but I really didn't like the smell of it at all. There was also something irritating in it, but not like "hairspray." I'll stick to Ignition for my vanilla fix and Cuba Gold for a sweet, vanilla tobacco.

Lovely smell, it is matter of oerception but as it has no florals in it , definitely masculin, one of the finds of the year for me.

I might have discovered my feminine side.
    Scary!

I am actually in search of something with vanilla, sweet, but not like Le Male.
    Maybe Lolita l'Empicka?
    Suggestions are welcome!
    My vote for this kind of questions is L'Artisan Jour de Fete. Nice almond and vanilla, has nothing to do with Le Male.

100% crap. It's an awful, dirt-sweet vanilla.

way too sweet for me but women do love vanilla. if you like it wear it! i bet women will like it on you.

as far as big vanilla, my votes go for:
    montale white aoud
    musc ravageur

cheers,
    ryan

Cambridge, Leeds, London and Newcastle (It's complicated!)

well i'm as gay as a goose in leather chaps at a madonna concert, and i think g2 is an absolute non-starter.

in terms of masculine/feminine, i can see why many would class it as feminine - such a volume of vanilla is usually only associated with the ladies. i totally agree with Bigsly's 'hairspray' comment, specifically it has a definite L'oreal Elnett accord within the vanilla swamp. but the slightly boozey, tobacco notes and the dirty musky drydown stop it from being feminine in my eyes (not that tobacco can't be feminine, caron's tabac blonde is a prime example) and yet it isn't truly masculine either with such sickening gusts of vanilla sweetness and so much amber. an absolute sillage monster, i had to go home to wash it off.

i used to love le male, over-used it, and now i feel vaguely queasy whenever i smell it. this gave me some of the same feeling, but in an eaten-loads-of-candy-floss-and-went-on-the-fairground-rides way.

i can see the thinking behind this - instead of a 'unisex' fragrance that isnt really masculine or feminine, gaultier seems to have comissioned one which is heavily both. yet in doing so he's created one which i think would work for neither.

tonnes of vanilla and powder? check. subtle hint of tobacco and liquor? check. dirty masculine muskiness? check. ambery hairspray? check.
    gaultier2 is suitable only for drag queens. and only while they're on stage.
    Last edited by itsthepens; 12th June 2008 at 02:36 AM.

i'm as straight as one gets i guess.....i never even had a hint of consideration of otherwise and yet i find Gaultier 2 to be interesting and more complex than "sweeeet vanilla".....on my skin i get that gorgeous cuban cigar called Rome&Juliet in the background which balances out the sweetness of the vanillic accords.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 12th June 2008 at 02:58 AM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com