Code of Conduct

Default Your take on Bond No9's Coney Island? What do you think?

What do you think about Bond No9's Coney Island? I'm not quite sure about it yet? At times I love it and at times I hate it but I just keep coming back to it? It is a comliment go getter for you or does it go unnoticed? I'm also interested in its longevity... Basenoters GO! Comment Away!
    Bois Farine up for Sale! Up for bargaining.

Default Re: Your take on Bond No9's Coney Island? What do you think?

I love the margarita and mango accord mixed with an aquatic note. It is very fresh and I find it addictive. I don't have a bottle...yet. I find that it lasts a long time, about 6 hours on my skin. I have read the list of ingredients and I don't smell the caramel popcorn or the listed base notes, just the fresh notes.
    Last edited by paintrman; 24th May 2008 at 03:04 AM.

It could have been great but it is a disaster. I say disaster, because it is hard to mess up subtle fruity notes like the ones contained in Conney Island, and yet, they did it.

First, I find the Orangey top notes of commes des garcons Soda. Excellent recreation, though the original is much cheaper. 30 seconds later I get the Guava and the fake tequila/margarita notes also found in Set Sail St. Barts. SSSB and Soda are good by themselves, but Conney Island tries to mix opposing notes. Creamy and aquatic. Like mixing mountain dew and hot milk, like adding mango to champagne. It just doesnot have heart.
    Last edited by irish; 24th May 2008 at 06:13 AM.

^ I agree with Irish above... when I tested it I got the so called 'margarita' accors for only about 5 minutes... after that it developed just like any other aquatic would.. atleast on my skin it did. Definitely doesn't justify the price they're asking for it
    Last edited by Amit; 24th May 2008 at 04:03 AM.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

This is a real stinker. The aromas of various foods are quite off-putting and vile. I can almost smell a hotdog with tons of relish.

Coney Island is a horrible name for the fragrance- I have a hard time thinking about anything other than hot dogs when I hear the name.

Fortunately, the scent doesn't smell anything like hot dogs, and it's nice in that it's truly a unique scent from Bond but it ultimately falls short. Like irish mentioned, it just doesn't have a heart. The notes don't seem to go anywhere, though in and of themselves they're pretty pleasant. If this scent progressed to a truly nice and unique drydown, they'd really have something here.

Basenotes Institution

I think this smells much better smelling it someone else, rather than wearing it myself.

It's water/ozonic accord, strangely, smells like the one in Secretions Magnifiques by ELDO - so I will never be able to wear this myself.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 24th May 2008 at 11:17 PM.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Having worn it last summer, I liked it, but it is very sweet. It must also attract bees, as I was stung for the very first time. I guess you can say that wearing it might be considered dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by TheRomantic View Post
    What do you think about Bond No9's Coney Island? I'm not quite sure about it yet? At times I love it and at times I hate it but I just keep coming back to it? It is a comliment go getter for you or does it go unnoticed? I'm also interested in its longevity... Basenoters GO! Comment Away!
    [/I

I put Coney Island and Creeds Virgin Island water in the same category. Initially fun and summery, but I soon tire of them both. Get a large decant, 5-8 ml and you will have had your fill for the summer. Crappy longevity on both.

Basenotes Junkie

I like both virgin island water and coney island but only for the top notes.

Don't care for this very much at all.

I picked up a mostly-used EDP spray (1.7 oz, I believe) of Coney Island at an estate sale. It smells "nice" and "fresh", but, to me, those "qualities" translate to boring and uninspiring.

I wholeheartedly agree that it is not worth its outrageous asking price.

I own it and like it, but donīt think it worth the price tag. If you can find it on a bargain (like I did taking a used one on ebay) itīs nice. Opens with this margherita accord very close to Creed Virgin Island Water and the drydown is more a mix between aquatic/ozonic and fruity/musky. In some ways the drydown reminds me of one of the Summer versions of Issey Miake but without the yuzu. It has some cinamon on the drydown too. On my skin it lasts more than 12 hours and on clothes it lasts for a week! I only donīt use it as much as Iīd like to cause my fiancee says it smells like egg white (she says the same about Issey Summer lol!).

I sadly used up my sample but got a very nice and enjoyable very sweet and tart smell that really lasted on me. I don't get much of the watery or salty just sweet and tart. not a sweet tart and a faint smell of lime. I don't drink margaritas so can't compare that reference.So on this one also and there's a few head in line to buy but really like this one and didn't toss the empty Bon Bon.
    My rookie advice.

I Love it for sure.....Brings compliments!!!
    Gary

It smells like cotton candy, Hot Dogs, and Egg Whites, i also detect subtle creamy undertones of Cinnamon Rolls and. maybe even an Aqua Net accord. I making a mental picturization of myself sipping a Margherita while sitting on a park bench on Coney Island, watching all the differen ttypes of people pass by. I needs to gets me a bottle of this stuff.

If it does smell of all that junkfood stuff, then it's a pretty accurate recreation of an amusement park and thus gets my vote for originality. Never tried it though, so I'm only commenting blindly and pointlessly.

EDIT: it would be perfect if it also smelled like puke from getting seasick on a rollercoaster. Now THAT would be realistic.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

It's actually quite nice. This one absolutely REQUIRES the right skin imo.

On me, I get a great margarita opening. That salty 'beach' vibe continues when the melons take up a bit of centre stage too. The dry down is a softened melon/vanilla vibe with a tad of salt. Again, on me, it's amazing.

But on my brother, It's a complete mess! It opens up way too spicy for some reason, as opposed to that Margarita vibe that I got. It also just stays like that on his skin. It's cloying on him and never really transforms into anything good.

Basenotes Junkie

really like the opening, how is the longevity?

Total mess. You could buy better fragrance for 1/4 of that price.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

I love this one. It's on top of by bond buy list

I have only tried it once, but thought the notes just didn't come together well for me. I like many Bonds, but this one didn't do it for me. I am going to go find that sample and give it another try today.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Vince23heat View Post
    really like the opening, how is the longevity?
    not the best, I get around 6hrs from this. I'll have to test it some more tbh.

Addictive is the key word. Unique and addictive. Odd combination of lime with sweet candy notes (sweet tarts), aquatic, yet caramel thrown in the mix. Unfortunately, this did not last or project too well on my skin, average at best. Great smell but not worth the high price tag.

I had a sample and enjoyed it enough that I recently ordered a 50 ml bottle (you can find good deals on Bond's on eBay, & they're a pretty safe buy since they aren't really faked due to lower demand & intricate bottle design).

Anyway, I love the scent. It lasts forever on me (as almost all Bond's seem to do), and a little goes a long way. My only advice is to go easy on the trigger. If you overapply Coney Island, it might not bother you in the top, but when the basenotes (I get caramel & cinnamon) start to mix in, it can get cloying if oversprayed. On me, the wonderful margarita/salty ocean topnotes never leave, but they are joined by the sweeter basenotes later in the progression. Also be careful spraying this one on or under your clothes. It gets really strong & for some reason on my clothes, those sweeter basenotes stick out more later in the day.

But overall, this is an incredibly unique summertime/beach vacation scent that I definitely recommend. It takes its place beside Creed's Virgin Island Water and CB I Hate Perfume's At The Beach 1966 as unique, must own beach scents for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think this smells much better smelling it someone else, rather than wearing it myself.

It's water/ozonic accord, strangely, smells like the one in Secretions Magnifiques by ELDO - so I will never be able to wear this myself.
    This is how I feel. I wore it and it got funky, I gave the sample to a co worker and it smell nice on him.

Cmax...

I have quite good longevity with this. Also think it smells very nice. I cannot see how people are getting hotdogs with this...

I'm digging it!! I've only tried it out today but I think it's right up my ally. I don't get hotdogs at all either.