Code of Conduct

Default SotW May 17th -23rd 2008

Before reading this week’s SotW call up your music program and begin to play the opening theme from “Star Wars” or just listen to the music in your head like your narrator.

A short time ago in a galaxy really, really close by…………

SotW
    Episode XII
    Revenge of Champs Elysees

It was a dark time, the unified SotD board had been torn asunder. On top of that the evil rulers, Emperor Turin and Empress Sanchez, had built the overpowering scent weapon “5-Star”. This form of scent elitism was threatening to spread throughout the perfumed galaxy. But unbeknownst to the evil overlords a small scrappy band of Rebels were forming. Led by Riannon Organa and Jillsy Skywalker their aim was to show the rest of the scented universe that their tiny 1-Stars nicknamed “Champs-Elysees” could take on anything in the olfactory galaxy and prevail. Accompanied by their loyal droids, R2-Taolady and Com-3-Diva-PO, they co-ordinated an assault upon the stats kept by Somerville Metro Man in his dark, but lovely smelling, lair. Their attack was meticulously organized and well executed, only after the stats were published could they know if their plan had succeeded…………….

Yes the Ladies took over the stats this week which had some interesting repercussions which I’ll get to right after the raw numbers. 941 total posts this week down two from last week’s high water point. 557 different scents mentioned this week down from last week’s 584. Finally 393 scents worn only once for an individuality index of 41.2% down from 396 and 42.0% last week.
    Let’s start at the top with Champs-Elysees. Early in the week Jillsy coaxed Riannon into wearing Champs-Elysees to skew the stats. Before long there was a full-scented revolt going and I believe all of the women who own this scent wore it for at least one day and the ringleaders wore it for multiple days. I found the comments of the multiple day wearers interesting as there was a little coming around to Turin and Sanchez’s way of thinking as far as the words in their review went. There was almost unanimous agreement on the fact that this little scent did not deserve a one-star rating. Based on my observation this week this scent can not be considered an “insulting” scent as a one-star rating is supposed to denote. Surprisingly, the mass wearing of a single scent did not have a major effect on things like the single scent wears or individuality index. Where it had its biggest effect was that it totally nuked Jicky off the board, not one wear this week. That is probably the first time that has happened on the women’s side in a long time. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of overlap in the notes so I’m at a loss to why this happened. For now the ladies took their humble well-loved one star Champs Elysees and have made it the most-worn scent for a week in the twelve weeks I’ve been compiling and set a high water mark that will take some effort to top. Brava to all of the rebels it was a huge amount of fun watching this unfold this week.
    While Champs Elysees dominated the top 10 this week there were some other interesting notes. Creed Virgin Island Water had its best week ever and this was probably due to the fairly vigorous forum discussion taking place in the men’s forum. The CDG/Monocle Scent One: Hinoki continues its impressive rise and posts its highest week and continues to increase in wears week-to-week. If this one was a touch cheaper I think we might have a challenger to Terre D’Hermes although it looks like this one will be one of the regular visitors to the top 10 for awhile to come. The rest of the top 10 is made up of scents that fell off the list for the last couple of weeks and all rebound to take spots this week. Of note are Rive Gauche pour Homme which posts a new weekly high and Montale Black Aoud which makes a return after almost a month off the list. The split of LeLabo Rose 31 has led to an increase in wears and that has led to its re-appearance along with Kouros, Dior Homme and Guerlain Vetiver. Once again we almost turn over the entire list as eight scents are in and two remain from last week.

SotW May 17th -23rd 2008
    1.) Guerlain Champs-Elysees 41 wears!!!!! (4.4%)
    2.) Terre D’Hermes 11 wears (1.2%)
    3.) Creed Virgin Island Water 9 wears (1.0%)
    3.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 9 wears (1.0%)
    5.) Comme des Garcons/Monocle Scent One: Hinoki 8 wears (0.8%)
    5.) Dior Homme 8 wears (0.8%)
    5.) Yves St. Laurent Kouros 8 wears (0.8%)
    8.) Guerlain Vetiver 7 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Le Labo Rose 31 7 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Montale Black Aoud 7 wears (0.7%)

The group one wear out of the top 10 consisted of a couple of Guerlains, Habit Rouge and L’Instant pour Homme; Thierry Mugler Angel, Chanel Egoiste, Parfums de Nicolai New York, L’Artisan Timbuktu, Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque, and Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain.
    I finish this week with one last hurrah to the new Queen of SotW: Guerlain Champs-Elysees.
    You keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em.
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotW May 17th -23rd 2008

“The Force is strong with this one.” don't you agree, Master Yoda Metro Man???

YAY, ladies, we did it!! ::splashing with Djedi for this occasion::

Basenotes proudly presents its one star wonder: Champs-Elysées

Thank you for the stats, the fun and the most amusing story May the Force be with you.

The revenge of a rebel can be so sweet.........
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Oi! Where's my Avignon?

Barking mad and utterly brilliant. No, I'm not talking about the mediocre Champs-Elysees, but SMMan's weekly missive. I've had a token boycott of SotD most days since the combined thread died a death, but it's worth posting in future just to see if my unilateral declarations of independence against the mass wearing of sub-standard flowery gubbins from the vandals at Guerlain will make a mark on the stats.

There's an anagram of Fawlty Towers that might get me banned from BN if I print it, but that's the phrase that springs to mind when I think of Champs-Elysees (of which, inexplicably, I have a small bottle). British sitcom viewers will understand.

I wish you well to wear it, my lovelies, but if it scores 41 points next week I'm sending in the Perfume Police. Luca and Tania, you are on red alert.

Oh dear, SMM, that was a fun read! But as always, very interesting. It also shows that without rebels and a revolution, minorities never make it to the stats ....Keep on the fab work.

Sestra, LOL at the "sub-standard flowery gubbins from the vandals at Guerlain".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

hee hee hee
    this is why I hang out here...
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Where it had its biggest effect was that it totally nuked Jicky off the board, not one wear this week. That is probably the first time that has happened on the women’s side in a long time. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of overlap in the notes so I’m at a loss to why this happened.
    Scentson, we need to talk.

If I understand you correctly, you, as a male, are attempting to understand how the female mind works and have not been able to do so.

Hmmm, and this surprises you?

Fortunately, you are not unique. Without realizing it, you answered your own question as soon as you posed it:

"I’m at a loss to why this happened."

That's it! That's the answer!

Stop tilting at windmills, wave the white flag and accept that we, no matter how much we try, are not meant to fully understand women - not now, not ever. They are mysterious and baffling. Moreover, they seem to enjoy being mysterious and baffling.

Accepting this is the only way to restore your serenity and enable you to move forward.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 24th May 2008 at 09:41 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Long live the ring-leaders! Long live the stats!

loved reading this!
    NOW I understand why everyone was wearing Champs Elysee this week....
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Lmao, awesome read there (and Sestra too!). "Jillsy Skywalker" eh? I likey.

Well done all the Champs Elysees-ers

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Scentson, we need to talk.

If I understand you correctly, you, as a male, are attempting to understand how the female mind works and have not been able to do so.

Hmmm, and this surprises you?

Fortunately, you are not unique. Without realizing it, you answered your own question as soon as you posed it:

"I’m at a loss to why this happened."

That's it! That's the answer!

Stop tilting at windmills, wave the white flag and accept that we, no matter how much we try, are not meant to fully understand women - not now, not ever. They are mysterious and baffling. Moreover, they seem to enjoy being mysterious and baffling.

Accepting this is the only way to restore your serenity and enable you to move forward.
    Ah ScentFather good advice as always.
    Unfortunately the scientist in me must always ask why.
    While I find beauty and joy in the act of asking.
    What is most wonderful about asking is that every once in awhile you get an answer.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Interesting stats SMM. I can appreciate the time that goes into this endeavor!

Good work everyone, and may the "force" be with you all.

I'm looking forward to the next one!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Unfortunately the scientist in me must always ask why.

While I find beauty and joy in the act of asking....What is most wonderful about asking is that every once in awhile you get an answer.
    Answer: Because.
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze