Code of Conduct

Thread: Musky Guerlain?

Default Musky Guerlain?

Sorry if it had been already discussed. I wonder which Guerlain's have musky aura. I love musky scents usually and am trying to find musky one from Guerlain. I would love to hear any ideas from you all.

Default Re: Musky Guerlain?

You'd need to ask Mr Guerlain I think (one of our regular posters here), he's the expert on this one. But as I sit here I can't think of any Guerlains that I would describe as musky, certainly the five I have, Mitsouko, Vetiver, L'Instant, Coriolan and Heritage, none of those are in the least bit musky.

Why don't you try Declaration by Cartier or Pasha in the meantime, they might be up your street?

Sur la Plage

Eau d'Guerlain lists musk in it's notes - but I would not classify it as a musky fragrance.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Why don't you try Declaration by Cartier or Pasha in the meantime, they might be up your street?

I have never thought of Cartie yet. Though I tried several musks from other houses, simply I am interested in Guerlain now. Thank you for your suggestions!

You are flattering mere here! The only really musky-smelling Guerlain-fragrances I've smelled is Philtre d'Amour and Vetiver pour Elle. For me, musk smells very 'modern" - not sure if I really like it. But in those two listed here, it's really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    You'd need to ask Mr Guerlain I think (one of our regular posters here), he's the expert on this one. But as I sit here I can't think of any Guerlains that I would describe as musky, certainly the five I have, Mitsouko, Vetiver, L'Instant, Coriolan and Heritage, none of those are in the least bit musky.

After cruising by earlier, I was hoping Mr. Guerlain would respond, because I could not come up with a musky smelling Guerlain in the women's line and nothing that I remembered in the men's as well.

Ironically, I am someone who does not like predominant musk scents, and Mr. Guerlain mentioned my absolute favorite Guerlain as a musky possibility: Philtre!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    You are flattering mere here! The only really musky-smelling Guerlain-fragrances I've smelled is Philtre d'Amour and Vetiver pour Elle. For me, musk smells very 'modern" - not sure if I really like it. But in those two listed here, it's really nice.
    Mr. Guerain: wouldn't you agree that Habit Rouge (the EdC) has a very slight 'dirty' note that pops up ever so often on the skin, when worn? I know 'dirty' does not necessarily equal musky. But when I encountered said note, I loved it and added to the complexity of the scent.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thank you for your opinions. I have to say you all make me feel I am too ignorant. I am actually fond of many Guerlain's because they melt into my skin easily. I had thought it means they are musky. So I wanted to hear everyone consider which one is the most musky in the line. I realized that I'd better don't describe the skin-like note as musky.

I had read that L'Heure Bleue has musk in the list,but I couldn't get it,even in the extrait,by the way. Anyone?

Also I am glad Mr.Guerlain dropped by. Your Guerlain collection is awesome!

Thanks bird, I'm glad you like my Guerlain-bottles :-)

As I've said so many times before here, I'm really a novice regarding most perfume questions. I'm actually not so very sure about what musk smells like - I know well that now it's not the animal extract that's used, but (good for the animal) a synthetic. But when I say that Philtre d'Amour and Vetiver pour Elle are 'musky', it's because they have a sort of fat-warm-sweet-fixative smell in their base. I don't find that same feeling in other/older Guerlains - Djedi is said to contain musk, but I can't get this feeling from it. Maybe it's true that Habit Rouge also have this feeling.

Can anyone be very specific in describing how musk smells?

Basenotes Institution

Thanks bird, I'm glad you like my Guerlain-bottles :-)

As I've said so many times before here, I'm really a novice regarding most perfume questions. I'm actually not so very sure about what musk smells like - I know well that now it's not the animal extract that's used, but (good for the animal) a synthetic. But when I say that Philtre d'Amour and Vetiver pour Elle are 'musky', it's because they have a sort of fat-warm-sweet-fixative smell in their base. I don't find that same feeling in other/older Guerlains - Djedi is said to contain musk, but I can't get this feeling from it. Maybe it's true that Habit Rouge also have this feeling.

Can anyone be very specific in describing how musk smells?
    I think these threads might be helpful in answering your question Mr. Guerlain:

What’s The Big Deal With Musk: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=198983
    Most Popular Musk Scent: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=180451

By the way - I am wearing a sample of Philtre d'Amour on my wrists as I type this and it's fantastic! Wow.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd June 2008 at 11:06 PM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Thanks Mike!

I can smell the sort of 'fat', sweaty base accord in both Philtre d'Amour and Vetiver pour Elle. Before, my idea of musk was something quite bitter, but it's actually rather sweet. One could argue that the musk disturbs the yearned-for vetiver-bitterness in Guerlain's Vetiver pour Elle, but after one month of getting to know Vetiver pour Elle, I can see that it works as a select softener of the top's brutal-white jasmine-scent. And the bitterness of the vetiver root is still evident.

Guys, really: you MUST try Vetiver pour Elle - you develop the same sort of addiction to it that you do with the original Vetiver (and that you don't do with Vetiver Eau Glacée or Extrême).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I think these threads might be helpful in answering your question Mr. Guerlain:

What’s The Big Deal With Musk: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=198983
    Most Popular Musk Scent: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=180451

By the way - I am wearing a sample of Philtre d'Amour on my wrists as I type this and it's fantastic! Wow.

Basenotes Institution

Guys, really: you MUST try Vetiver pour Elle - you develop the same sort of addiction to it that you do with the original Vetiver (and that you don't do with Vetiver Eau Glacée or Extrême).
    If you can find a source for those of us here in the U.S. please let us know - this stuff is extremely hard to find. I've spent a great deal of time searching online. I'm hoping I stumble onto a bottle on my Summer European vacation.

-- Eckhart Tolle