Code of Conduct

Default Musgo Real by Claus Porto

Im a Claus Porto products big fan. The bath soaps are great, fantastic assortment and accesible quality/price. I have Musgo Real After Shave Scent since two months ago and it was a big surprise (maybe the aloe vera or any other ingredient on it) that the fragance is long-lasting. The smelling is fresh, light, not complex, sure people when kiss you will say that you smell clean. I love it.

So I was looking to try the Agua de Colonia 1, 2 y 3... I did. Yes, they are Eau de Cologne, so very soon there was just a little remain of the fragances... and about them? Well... I remain with the original.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Default Re: Musgo Real by Claus Porto

I also like the Musgo Real products that I've tried. I have the After Shave and scent #3 (Spiced Citrus).

I think the after shave lasts for a while; if I remember correctly it may have glycerin in it which helps retain the fragrance. I think Gendarme V uses this trick as well. I wish it had the plastic limiter on it as the cologne has, but oh well.

#3 is nice, but fleeting unfortunately. The coriander gives it a good kick.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Basenotes Institution

I happened upon this line, when I was browsing that wonderful pharmacy in New York, New London Pharmacy in Chelsea. Gosh, you could spend hours browsing the aisles - so much stuff!

Since there were no testers I had to open up each box and splash a bit on, and the #2 Oakmoss was the one that jumped out at me. I am currently in a Chypre mood - anything chypre-esque seems to intrigue me these days, not sure why. So, I bought it immediately.

The next day, I wore a healthy application of it, as I walked around the streets of Boston on vacation. I over applied it - and the scent became slightly cloying. So much so, that when I had a chance, I washed some of it off my arms to tone the scent down a bit. I hardly ever need to do this, with fragrances, but it was really grating on me.

Today, I gave the fragrance a second full wearing - this time I applied much less and I decanted it into a plastic atomizer and sprayed it on. It was much more tolerable but nonetheless, the middle notes of this fragrance evoke a fruity/metallic smell that I cannot seem to get past comfortably. It reminds me of a fruity scented all purpose cleaner - you know the kind that you can buy in the dollar stores. It reminds me of another high-end niche fragrance, by Profumum, that also was ruined by it's synthetic-fruit accord, Volo AZ 686.

I might need to put the scent away for a bit, and come back to it - but for now, I'm disappointed. It wasn't that pricey, but still this experience confirms what I already know and sometimes fail to remember: I must wear a fragrance more than once before I decide to pop for a full bottle.

One more thing: I was unimpressed with the other two colognes No. 1 Orange Amber and No. 2 Spiced Citrus. Nice, simple - but a bit boring to my nose.

I have the musgo real after shave, It's terrific and I will soon get all the eau de colognes.

Ah, Musgo Real from my hometown's brand Claus/Ach Brito, not long ago their soaps were sold for less than 2 US$ dollars here (in euros of course) but since the vintage hype, Oprah's praise and Johny Depp's claim that its his favourite brand, the house is relaunching the soaps for 9 US$ . As for the colognes seems like 2% is sold here on high end "vintage"-revivalist stores,while 98% of production goes abroad. Would like to test them though since the classic centenary soap has one of greates barbershop smells around. By the way: Musgo Real means Royal Oakmoss, and oakmoss is the signature fragrance from this line/brand,so would be sad that their oakmoss based cologne would be bad :S

i used musgo real bar soaps from amazon...they actually shipped them directly from spain wrapped in a spanish newspaper and manilla envelope i think loaded w multiple rolls of clear shipping tape....i was not a big fan of the soap based off the fragrance ...though it rinsed off really clean though...i think i might have a bar left in the closet.
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Humm, sure wasnt it from Portugal (not Spain) where they shipped it from? Ach Brito/Musgo Real is a Portuguese company.

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post
    i used musgo real bar soaps from amazon...they actually shipped them directly from spain wrapped in a spanish newspaper and manilla envelope i think loaded w multiple rolls of clear shipping tape....i was not a big fan of the soap based off the fragrance ...though it rinsed off really clean though...i think i might have a bar left in the closet.

A friend of mine had some of their soaps. Thought they were just OK.

Quote Originally Posted by 7ScentsOfHell View Post
    Humm, sure wasnt it from Portugal (not Spain) where they shipped it from? Ach Brito/Musgo Real is a Portuguese company.
    your right, it was probably from portugal,
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

And yes, those soaps are 100% old school (being sold since 1887), so you know you re going to get clean straight with them, there's no big fuss on a XIX century soap

Quote Originally Posted by lanky View Post

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ... the middle notes of this fragrance evoke a fruity/metallic smell ...
    I have the Musgo Real #2 Oakmoss Agua de Colonia. I get grated lime, fresh-cut grass, light spice and a bit of moss in the dry-down. It is a simple, refreshing splash. But I know exactly what mike means (above). Every once in a while, I get faint whiff of tinned pears. It is not unpleasant, but it is there.
    The bar soap is nice, not highly scented but very cleansing and foamy.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I have the Musgo Real #2 Oakmoss Agua de Colonia. I get grated lime, fresh-cut grass, light spice and a bit of moss in the dry-down. It is a simple, refreshing splash. But I know exactly what mike means (above). Every once in a while, I get faint whiff of tinned pears. It is not unpleasant, but it is there.
    The bar soap is nice, not highly scented but very cleansing and foamy.

sounds interesting, ody, you got a great nose!
    sent via commodore 64

*explore your world on a bicycle*